Random Stuff List

December 18, 2016

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Hello there, friends!

Just a little disclaimer: I’m attempting to write this while on my second day of going coffee-free. (Not by choice. But by acid-refluxness.) So I can’t guarantee that anything I’m about to write makes any sense. But, then again, I can’t guarantee that when I’m on the coffee either. So, you know, consider yourself warned, I guess.

Let’s get started!

(Is it bedtime yet?)

1. So remember back in January when I decided to go to The Moth StorySLAM in Detroit “just to watch.” And then I ended up telling an embarrassing personal story in front of 200 strangers in a bar because PEER PRESSURE IS REAL, Y’ALL. And then I ended up winning. Remember that?

Well, when you win a StorySLAM, they invite you to participate in a GrandSLAM with all the other people that won StorySLAMs that year. And instead of being in front of 200 strangers in a bar, this is in front of 450 strangers in an actual theater. So you can’t pretend that you just put your name in the hat because you were drunk and some random other drunk people at the bar made you do it.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Imagine all those seats are full of people. And you’re on stage about to tell a really embarrassing story. No pressure.

So the GrandSLAM was on Monday. And my only goal was to get up on stage and tell a story without forgetting everything, fainting and dying.

But, then, I ended winning. YEAH, I KNOW!

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Ahhh! I won!

And, because, I know you’re all going to ask because people have been asking me on the Facebook all week: I don’t know if I’ll be on the podcast. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Because, hey, I already aired my dirty laundry in front of 450 total strangers, why not air it in front of millions more. Yay!

2. So, you might have noticed, but I kind of have this tendency to throw myself into new hobbies and think they are THE BEST THING EVER until, of course, I find a new BEST THING EVER. (See also: backpacking, solo camping, and cooking with my crockpot.)

Well, friends, I have found my new BEST THING EVER! And it’s snow-shoeing.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

MY NEW BEST THING EVER

Not only is it super fun to stomp around in the woods with big things attached to your feet, my snowshoes have totally changed my attitude towards snow. Like, for once, I’m actually excited there are a billion feet of snow on the ground because SNOWSHOES!

3. You guys, I have invented a new cookie, and they are amazing, and they will make everyone at your office Christmas party love you forever (or at least until all the cookies are gone).

I speak from experience.

They are orange ginger shortbread dipped in dark chocolate and they are heaven in shortbread form.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Heaven in shortbread form

Basically, I took this recipe for orange shortbread, added 1/2 cup of chopped candied ginger, and then pressed them into a pan and baked them (follow these instructions). And then dipped them in dark chocolate (with a little shortening because I don’t know who these wizards are that can make melted chocolate not all clumpy without a little shortening).

So yummy, you guys!

4. I just started my winter break on Friday, which means it’s BINGE-WATCHING SEASON in my house!

I started Season 2 of The Man in the High Castle, but I feel like I kind of need to go back and binge Season 1 again because I’m like, “Wahh? Who’s this guy again? Is he bad? Or good? Or do we not know?” Also, it’s not nearly so fun and weird anymore now that it basically resembles real life.

What else should I put on my binge-watch list?

5. On a related note, I started reading Underground Airlines this week. It reminds me a lot of The Man in High Castle in that it’s about an alternative reality. In this case, it’s about what the United States would be like if there had never been the Civil War and some states still allowed slavery.

It’s a bit more sci-fi-ish than I usually read, but I’m totally sucked into it. But, at the same time, I’m also like, “Oh god, this is real life right now.”

6. In case you’re feeling a little down, may I recommend watching the Bruno Mars Carpool Karaoke video about a hundred times?

7. Also helpful: replace all images of Donald Trump with kittens.

8. Do you ever read about other country’s holiday traditions, and think, “That sounds AMAZING! Why can’t we have that in my country?”

Well, introducing: The Christmas Cat of Iceland.

Basically it’s a big huge demon cat who gobbles up children who don’t wear their winter clothes. Which seems like a super genius way to make sure your kids always wear their hats in the winter. “Come on, Johnny, put on your hat. You don’t want to be eaten alive by the demon cat!”

9. Speaking of awesome holiday traditions: The 2016 Hater’s Guide to the Williams-Sonoma Catalog.

10. San Francisco airport has a therapy pig who wears tutus and plays a toy piano.

EXCUSE ME WHILE I FLY TO SAN FRANCISCO RIGHT NOW.

Or… maybe I’ll just go back to bed because this no coffee life is no life.

How was your week, friends? Have any binge-watching, book-reading, cookie-making suggestions? Leave them below!

1. On December 18, 2016 at 12:00 pm JessieV said:

This is everything right now. YES!! What a gift! 🙂 Sorry about the coffee. and CONGRATS ON WINNING!!!!

2. On December 18, 2016 at 12:26 pm Rebecca said:

Congratulations!!!!

Also, I was surprised to find how easy it was for me to start getting my caffeine fix from tea. But not any form of black tea, and even oolong is a no-no on an empty stomach. However, white tea really perks up my brain well for a couple of hours and doesn’t seem to have any unpleasant side effects.

• On December 19, 2016 at 12:17 pm Sally said:

Thanks for the suggestion! When I’m having a bad flare-up, I have to stay away from black tea and even green tea because I still have bad effects from them. I’ve switched completely over to herbal, which my brain is NOT a fan of. But I haven’t tried white tea — I will have to try it out!

• On December 24, 2016 at 9:55 pm krishnakumarpradhan said:

All stomachs are not alike, Butmy stomach cries SOS if I drink black tea on anempty stomach and I have to run to the toilet to make water. All may not be so sensitive

3. On December 18, 2016 at 1:13 pm Sandra L. said:

I’ve been watching Season 1 of “True Detective.” Because Matthew McConaughey. We’re halfway through. Episode 4 scared the Sh*t out of me.

Also still watching “Inspector Morse” and “Doc Martin.” And who should show up on last night’s episode of “Morse” but Martin Clunes himself, as well as Rupert “Inspector Lestrade” Graves.

Eagerly awaiting Season 4 of “Sherlock” and “Queen Victoria” (or whatever it is called, on PBS).

Every, I repeat, every airport needs a therapy pig. I love pigs and would own one, except that I already have a rabbit who grunts/oinks and is a terror.

• On December 19, 2016 at 12:15 pm Sally said:

Yes, I’m super excited about the next season of Sherlock and the Queen Victoria show, too. It looks so good!
      And, oh my, a grunting/oinking rabbit? That sounds both delightful and horrifying. I think I want one!

4. On December 18, 2016 at 2:41 pm jocelyne marchand said:

You need gators for snowshoeing – helps with the snow not getting in your boots and keeps your socks dry

I wish you would tell us where you watch these series – i.e. Which network

You can produce your own podcast of your story – a simple audio file -a gift for your followers . . .

Happy holidays

• On December 19, 2016 at 12:13 pm Sally said:

I’ve used gators before, but I didn’t really have a problem this time without them. I do need a pair of snowpants, though, as my leggings over long underwear were warm enough but not too waterproof!
      As for where I watch my shows, I only have Internet TV (not cable), so I usually watch them on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. The Man from the High Castle is an Amazon Prime show.
      As for the podcast, I’d rather wait to find out if I’ll be on the show or get the official audio from The Moth to share with my readers. If I taped my own audio recording, you would miss out on the audience reaction which is such a big part of live storytelling. That’s one of my favorite parts about listening to The Moth radio show — being able to laugh (or cry) along with the live audience members.
      Happy holidays to you too!

5. On December 19, 2016 at 7:43 am Priya said:

Those orange ginger shortbread dipped in dark chocolate look SO GOOD. Send some over, please!
    Priya recently posted..The Wanaka Tree

6. On December 20, 2016 at 6:19 pm Julianna said:

Well I’m off to make my very own orange ginger shortbread because those looked delicious! Thanks for writing about them.