Hello there, friends!
Just a little disclaimer: I’m attempting to write this while on my second day of going coffee-free. (Not by choice. But by acid-refluxness.) So I can’t guarantee that anything I’m about to write makes any sense. But, then again, I can’t guarantee that when I’m on the coffee either. So, you know, consider yourself warned, I guess.
Let’s get started!
(Is it bedtime yet?)
1. So remember back in January when I decided to go to The Moth StorySLAM in Detroit “just to watch.” And then I ended up telling an embarrassing personal story in front of 200 strangers in a bar because PEER PRESSURE IS REAL, Y’ALL. And then I ended up winning. Remember that?
Well, when you win a StorySLAM, they invite you to participate in a GrandSLAM with all the other people that won StorySLAMs that year. And instead of being in front of 200 strangers in a bar, this is in front of 450 strangers in an actual theater. So you can’t pretend that you just put your name in the hat because you were drunk and some random other drunk people at the bar made you do it.
So the GrandSLAM was on Monday. And my only goal was to get up on stage and tell a story without forgetting everything, fainting and dying.
But, then, I ended winning. YEAH, I KNOW!
And, because, I know you’re all going to ask because people have been asking me on the Facebook all week: I don’t know if I’ll be on the podcast. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Because, hey, I already aired my dirty laundry in front of 450 total strangers, why not air it in front of millions more. Yay!
2. So, you might have noticed, but I kind of have this tendency to throw myself into new hobbies and think they are THE BEST THING EVER until, of course, I find a new BEST THING EVER. (See also: backpacking, solo camping, and cooking with my crockpot.)
Well, friends, I have found my new BEST THING EVER! And it’s snow-shoeing.
Not only is it super fun to stomp around in the woods with big things attached to your feet, my snowshoes have totally changed my attitude towards snow. Like, for once, I’m actually excited there are a billion feet of snow on the ground because SNOWSHOES!
3. You guys, I have invented a new cookie, and they are amazing, and they will make everyone at your office Christmas party love you forever (or at least until all the cookies are gone).
I speak from experience.
They are orange ginger shortbread dipped in dark chocolate and they are heaven in shortbread form.
Basically, I took this recipe for orange shortbread, added 1/2 cup of chopped candied ginger, and then pressed them into a pan and baked them (follow these instructions). And then dipped them in dark chocolate (with a little shortening because I don’t know who these wizards are that can make melted chocolate not all clumpy without a little shortening).
So yummy, you guys!
4. I just started my winter break on Friday, which means it’s BINGE-WATCHING SEASON in my house!
I started Season 2 of The Man in the High Castle, but I feel like I kind of need to go back and binge Season 1 again because I’m like, “Wahh? Who’s this guy again? Is he bad? Or good? Or do we not know?” Also, it’s not nearly so fun and weird anymore now that it basically resembles real life.
What else should I put on my binge-watch list?
5. On a related note, I started reading Underground Airlines this week. It reminds me a lot of The Man in High Castle in that it’s about an alternative reality. In this case, it’s about what the United States would be like if there had never been the Civil War and some states still allowed slavery.
It’s a bit more sci-fi-ish than I usually read, but I’m totally sucked into it. But, at the same time, I’m also like, “Oh god, this is real life right now.”
6. In case you’re feeling a little down, may I recommend watching the Bruno Mars Carpool Karaoke video about a hundred times?
7. Also helpful: replace all images of Donald Trump with kittens.
8. Do you ever read about other country’s holiday traditions, and think, “That sounds AMAZING! Why can’t we have that in my country?”
Well, introducing: The Christmas Cat of Iceland.
Basically it’s a big huge demon cat who gobbles up children who don’t wear their winter clothes. Which seems like a super genius way to make sure your kids always wear their hats in the winter. “Come on, Johnny, put on your hat. You don’t want to be eaten alive by the demon cat!”
9. Speaking of awesome holiday traditions: The 2016 Hater’s Guide to the Williams-Sonoma Catalog.
10. San Francisco airport has a therapy pig who wears tutus and plays a toy piano.
EXCUSE ME WHILE I FLY TO SAN FRANCISCO RIGHT NOW.
Or… maybe I’ll just go back to bed because this no coffee life is no life.
How was your week, friends? Have any binge-watching, book-reading, cookie-making suggestions? Leave them below!