Random Stuff List

September 26, 2014

I am notoriously horrible at reading other blogs, but the few blogs that I do regularly read and enjoy (like this one and this one and this one), all do this thing about once a week where they write a random list of fun stuff or fun links or some other random funness.

I don’t know why, but I LOVE these lists.

They’re like my favorite thing on the Internet.

Aside from, you know, cat videos.

I have long thought about doing my own little weekly random list, but it already takes me FOREVER to write a weekly post. So the idea of writing a weekly post and a weekly random list is just TOO MUCH. And I can’t just stop writing real blog posts altogether and turn my blog into one random list after another. OR CAN I???

Anyway, I’ve decided to give the random list thing a try at least for this week. If you love it, let me know. If you hate it, not to worry, I will most likely be back to writing my regular type blog posts next week in which I blather on and on about one particular topic. Most likely that topic will be my cat. Or how much I miss cheese. (You guys, I haven’t participated in any full-on cheese consumption in over two months. How is it possible that I’m even still alive right now?)

1. Last weekend, I managed to knock two things off my Fall Bucket List — apple-picking and corn-mazing.

Corn maze!

I took two Japanese friends along with me, which meant I got to introduce them to important American autumnal traditions like waiting in line for twenty minutes for cinnamon donuts and apple cannons.

Apple cannon!

Apple cannon!

On a related note, it’s REALLY difficult to explain the concept of apple cannons to someone who has never ever heard of the idea of shooting fruit out of a pressurized tube. My friends thought I wanted them to shoot guns at apples until they saw the cannons and were like, “Oh, you wanted us to shoot guns with apples.” Culture differences, guys, they exist.

Also, it turns out that I really suck at corn-mazing. I wasn’t entirely surprised by this as I have no sense of direction. It also didn’t help that on the same day I went in the corn maze I started new medication — the kind with one of those warning labels that says it may cause dizziness and I should refrain from operating heavy machinery. In my defense, it didn’t say anything about refraining from operating corn mazes. They should really put that on there.

We ended up wandering around aimlessly for an hour until we decided to go back out through the entrance. Who says quitters never win?

2. Also this weekend, I made my first pot of chili of the season. I know you’re not excited about this, but I am.

I mean, IT’S CHILI SEASON, YOU GUYS!

I was going to make it in my crockpot, but then I remembered my crockpot is tiny and I am incapable of making chili in any other size besides monster.

monster chili

Monster chili!

3. Have I ever told you I am the biggest lip balm junkie?

I’m serious, you guys, I can’t go more than thirty minutes without slathering the stuff on my lips. When I’m at home, I just walk around with a huge tub of Vaseline like a weirdo. But when I’m in public, I try to tone things down and just carry around a little tube of lip gloss with me.

On Monday, I forgot my trusty tube and I almost DIED. I’m telling you my lips felt like the Sahara. I kept on grabbing at my purse to look for my lip balm, and then I would remember that it wasn’t in there, and I would seriously feel like crying.

Lipbalm-withdrawal, you guys. It’s a thing.

4. So NaNa from ForeignGeek called me “the Liz Lemon of the blogging community.”

Excuse me while I have that engraved on my tombstone.

5. Hey, did I mention I’m taking a class this semester?

Like an actual university class with homework and papers and other stuff I have to do. I’d like to say that don’t wait to do all my homework until the night before class, but I’d be lying.

Also, my class is with a bunch of twenty-year-old college girls. That’s been interesting. (And by “interesting” I mean “OMIGOD, I AM SO HAPPY I AM NOT A TWENTY-YEAR-OLD COLLEGE GIRL ANYMORE.”)

6. I took my first ever self defense class the other week.

It was really fun.

And really awkward. Because, I mean, I’m not used to straddling people I’ve just met. I wrote all about it here.

7. I’m going on another camping trip this weekend.

But instead of doing it by myself, I’m going with eight (!) other people. EIGHT!

I’m really kind of nervous. I haven’t traveled with anyone who wasn’t biologically related to me (and thus forced to put up with me no matter how cranky I get) in years. And I certainly haven’t camped with eight people before. I just know I’m going to get super cranky at some point and make everyone hate me and want to kill me.

8. Part of trip will include a day trip to one of my favoritest places on Earth: Mackinac Island. (Which is pronounced Macki-naawh. Don’t ask.)

IMG_4774

Macki-naawh

I went there last year and LOVED it.

But then I never got around to writing a blog post about it because… ummm… I suck? Anyway, this time I might actually write about it.

Or not.

9. Let’s go to Iceland, okay?

10. Hey, it’s Banned Book Week.

I keep on reading all these lists of banned books, which makes me want to read ALL THE BOOKS.

But I’m still reading The Goldfinch. I have a feeling I’ll still be reading The Goldfinch for FOREVER. I mean, I like to read, but this book is seriously looongggg. I keep on looking at the little hour count at the bottom of my Kindle Paperwhite to see how many hours I have left in the book and, I swear, it tells me I have seven more hours EVERY SINGLE TIME.

So, umm, what’s your random news from the week?

1. On September 26, 2014 at 8:31 am Brenda said:

Love, love, love! You always make me lol!

2. On September 26, 2014 at 9:33 am Natalie said:

I love lists. Lists are great. Also, it meant we saw an interestingly diverse look into you week which is always interesting!
    I have never heard of Apple cannons and corn mazing! The picture with the apple cannon looks like loads of fun.
    What class are you taking? And we need pics of the self defence class as your description of straddling random people just cries out for them! 🙂

3. On September 26, 2014 at 9:40 am Foreign Geek said:

You mentioned me! OMG! Please wait for a while so I can finish my happy dance 😀

4. On September 26, 2014 at 9:50 am Beverley | Pack Your Passport said:

YES to list posts! I’ve been meaning to start one of my blog for FOREVER, but somehow never got round to it. You may have inspired me to actually get my butt into gear though 🙂

Awesome post Sally!
    Beverley | Pack Your Passport recently posted..25 Photos that will make you want to visit Basilicata

• On October 2, 2014 at 7:47 pm Sally said:

It was super easy! I usually take forever writing my other posts because I feel like I have to SAY something. But it was a breeze not feeling like I needed a real topic or anything.

5. On September 26, 2014 at 10:11 am Hata Trbonja said:

Really good blog suggestion.
    Following them right now. Lists are magic.
    So simple and they get to the point.
    When you do eat cheese you should sing the Liz Lemmon song about night cheese.
    It’s my fave.
    Hata
    Hata Trbonja recently posted..Have a fun weekend!

6. On September 26, 2014 at 1:29 pm zoe said:

I sometimes think I have a pretty decent idea of what the US is like, I mean, I watch American tv shows, right? And then I discover apple cannons. My mind, it is blown.
    zoe recently posted..Sun and sea and ancient cities — Trogir and Split

7. On September 26, 2014 at 2:26 pm Carmel said:

Apple canon? How does our corn maze experience not include an apple canon. I should write a letter petitioning for one.

Also, my lips are currently dry as I have a chapstick addiction myself.

This week I made chili with STEAK. And let me tell you, I may never go back to ground beef again.
    Carmel recently posted..IN SEARCH OF THE PERFECT PAELLA

• On October 2, 2014 at 7:45 pm Sally said:

That sounds AMAZING. I made mine with ground turkey because my stomach’s still not super cool. But maybe one day soonish, I’ll be able to handle red meat again and then steak chili it is!

8. On September 26, 2014 at 5:10 pm Ann said:

Okay, I have lived in Michigan my whole life, and I’ve gone to cider mills multiple times every fall (otherwise they make you go live in Indiana), and I have never. seen. an. apple. cannon. What?! How have I missed that? That’s now been added to my fall fun list. (And can you really blame the Japanese for assuming that we shoot guns at apples?) And I, too, am a lip balm addict. I know others like us. We should form a support group. You know, to discuss which ones are the best, how to always have lip balm on your person, mock the dry lips of the uninitiated, etc. LOVE the list! List on!

9. On September 26, 2014 at 11:06 pm janice said:

I LOVE lists and this list is great! Really, I’d read anything on this blog.
    janice recently posted..My Favorite 4-year-old

10. On September 28, 2014 at 11:23 pm Kaori said:

I am so excited that I found this blog post while searching online for “travel blog singapore.” Don’t know how that happened but I grew up in Michigan (currently live in Tokyo) so all this is making me sentimental! Fall in Michigan is the best!

Looking forward to your Mackinac Island post 🙂
    Kaori recently posted..The Tunisian Restaurant Cafe Chameau in Kobe

11. On September 30, 2014 at 1:57 pm Cary Vaughn said:

This is a pretty cool idea (as I, too, am embarrassed to say that I have trouble finding time to read other blogs like I should).
    Word!
    Cary Vaughn recently posted..Online Commentervention

12. On September 30, 2014 at 3:34 pm Sara @ The Let's Go Ladies said:

List posts are where it’s at. Sometimes you just have too much to talk about to NOT make a list!

Also: That Icelandic police Instagram account is the greatest.
    Sara @ The Let’s Go Ladies recently posted..Travel Narrative Book Review: The Good Girl’s Guide to Getting Lost by Rachel Friedman

13. On September 30, 2014 at 3:35 pm Ed said:

When I die I’m donating my lips to science. I’ve NEVER had chapped lips..ever. So I don’t need lip balm.

Okay, here’s my random list:
    – Just got my residence VISA approved to live in Spain. Wohoo…January here we come…
    – I want to go back in time to the set of the movie “Lincoln” and place a Lincoln Log cabin somewhere to see if anyone catches it before printing the movie…
    – I don’t think Chile CAN be made in a small pot…I’ve never seen it
    – My Spanish lessons are hard. Everything is male or female associated and I’m just gonna say they are wrong on some of them. They have beer as female and wine as male. Right…
    Ed recently posted..Diving off of Angel Falls in Venezuela

14. On October 4, 2014 at 12:51 pm Stacey @ Onetravelsfar said:

I’m the same with lipbalm. And I wonder if I’ve somehow made my lips addicted to it, by constantly slathering the stuff on. I feel like they need more moisture now. Good to know I’m not alone!
    Stacey @ Onetravelsfar recently posted..Bye Bye Beijing

• On October 5, 2014 at 8:12 am Sally said:

I really do think the more lipbalm you use, the more addicted your lips get to it. It’s kind of like crack. Or, at least, that’s how I hear crack works.

15. On March 3, 2015 at 10:02 pm Ceri said:

I love this, You should definitely make it a regular thing. I always feel like these kind of posts are perfect for when you know you should blog but can’t be bothered to put in a massive amount of effort. Throwing together bits of random stuff is awesome, 😀
    Ceri recently posted..My Five Favourite Things in February