Mitten List: Tulip Time Festival

May 16, 2014

Confession time: I went to the Tulip Time Festival in Holland, Michigan last year, but I never told you about it.

This is not because it wasn’t totally blog-worthy.

I mean, you’re talking to a girl who regularly blogs about pants. So it’s not like I have particularly high standards.

But, as far as blog-worthy events go, the Tulip Time Festival was one of the blog-worthiest.

I witnessed the World’s Largest Cinnamon Roll.

IMG_3397

I tried on wooden shoes.

IMG_3849

I had a tour of a real live windmill.

IMG_3636

I ate something called a Fat Ball. Which is just as amazing as it sounds. And it’s deep-fried. So it’s possibly even more amazing than it sounds.

IMG_3923

And I got to hang out with my brother and his family, who happen to live in the area.

So, yeah, it was totally awesome. And totally blog-worthy. And I never told you about it. And I’ve felt kind of bad about that.

But, as luck may have it, I now live a mere hour away from Holland, which means I got to go back to the the festival last weekend. So now I can finally write this very long overdue post about it.

Plus, I got to watch the Tulip Time parade this year, which I missed last year.

And, man, am I glad I got to see it this year. Because, seriously, I finally know what my life has been missing.

Namely, marching bands wearing wooden shoes.

Another thing my life hasn’t had nearly enough of: plastic buckets full of deep-fried vegetables.

Like a salad. But fried.

Like a salad. But fried.

In addition to the wooden-shoe-wearing-marching-bands and the fried-salad-bucket, there was also a wooden-shoe-mobile.

A windmill-mobile.

And a Wienermobile.

This was the first time I’d ever seen the Wienermobile in person. It’s possible I elbowed my friend and squealed like a fangirl.

There were a kajillion different beauty queens, including a Michigan Sugar Queen, a Bavarian Princess, a Ms. Wheelchair Michigan and the National Asparagus Festival Queen (which, speaking of blog-worthy events, that asparagus festival sounds pretty darn blog-worthy, amirite?).

In case you're wondering, the Asparagus Festival float said "Spears to You." Because of course.

In case you’re wondering, the Asparagus Festival float said “Spears to You.” Because of course it does.

And there was a massive cow named Ruthie.

DSC09696Because all parades should feature farm animals the size of houses.

So, there you have it, you guys.

The Tulip Time Festival!

On my blog!

At long last!

It’s like I had a second chance at life.

Well, maybe not life, exactly.

But I did get a second chance at Fat Balls. So there’s that.

Second time around: just as amazing as the first.

Second time around: just as amazing as the first.

What’s your favorite festival that you’ve been to?

1. On May 16, 2014 at 11:19 am Carmen said:

Looks like fun! I’d love to go to King’s Day in Holland at some point 🙂
    Carmen recently posted..Review: Jack’s Cafe, Cusco

2. On May 16, 2014 at 1:23 pm Kate said:

When it comes to must-see festivals, Avon, Ohio’s Duck Tape Festival is firmly affixed at the top of the ole bucket list. I mean, seriously, THREE days of celebrating duct tape–arguably humankind’s greatest invention–with everything from Journey tribute bands to something called Joy-Unspeakable, the Living Statue! Who wouldn’t want to go see that? And this year, they are even going to attempt a Guinness World Record in the category of “Most People Modeling in a Duck Tape Fashion Show”–like I said, NOT TO BE MISSED!

• On May 18, 2014 at 12:39 pm Sally said:

This sounds like the most amazing thing ever. I have already Google searched the festival and how long it would take me to drive there. I do believe a road trip is in order.

3. On May 16, 2014 at 1:28 pm @MsBoice said:

Gilroy, California has the Garlic Festival and it’s aMAzing! They grow garlic there the size of a human brain. (I may or may not be exagerating that point.) It helps with the vampires, btw.

4. On May 16, 2014 at 2:47 pm Pauline said:

I LOVE TULIP FESTIVALS! Although, to be honest, I haven’t had the best luck with them. I managed to catch the tail-end of the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival in Washington a couple of weeks ago and that was beautiful! It’s probably my favourite festival… Actually, the rib-fest is also pretty awesome!
    Pauline recently posted..Mount Vernon: Where the Tulips Bloom

• On May 18, 2014 at 12:37 pm Sally said:

We have a couple rib-fests in this area coming up. I’ve never been, so I’m looking forward to it… and stockpiling wet napkins in preparation.

5. On May 16, 2014 at 10:16 pm Priya said:

Please tell me you bought the wooden shoes???
    Priya recently posted..12 Reasons Why My First Hostel In Australia Spoiled Me

6. On May 17, 2014 at 12:19 pm Karisa said:

This is immensely wonderful to me! Especially that giant cinnamon roll. Good GOD! I’m spending the summer with my mom in Ohio and there are some pretty interesting local festivals in the area. For example, the “Moonshine” festival, which has a pickle spitting contest, a best legs contest (for men only), a most beautiful baby contest, a royal court but sadly no actual moonshine.

• On May 18, 2014 at 12:36 pm Sally said:

This Moonshine Festival sounds AMAZING. But no actual moonshine? What’s that about?
      Did you see Kate’s comment about the Duck Tape Festival in Avon? I think you need to go to that too. Actually, I think I need to go to that, too. Possibly EVERYONE needs to go to that.

7. On May 18, 2014 at 12:03 am Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

Excuse you very much but I NEED A POST ABOUT THE NATIONAL ASPARAGUS FESTIVAL. Like, seriously. I want to read that.

Also, world’s largest cinnamon roll, fat balls, AND a Wienermobile? Erm, take me to Holland, like now. This easily beats down the little Dutch area of Jeju Island that I visited in South Korea, but they did have a life-sized figure of Guus Hiddink, a Dutch coach who used to manage the South Korean football team. But I think I’d prefer fat balls.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..The Unexpected Delights of Ethiopian Cuisine

• On May 18, 2014 at 12:33 pm Sally said:

I’m a bit torn about the National Asparagus Festival as it is on the exact same day as the Doo Dah Parade in my town. I have no idea what a Do Dah Parade even is, but with a name like that I feel I have to go. So it’s basically like Sophie’s Choice all over again.

8. On May 18, 2014 at 9:44 am Stephanie - The Travel Chica said:

I just went to the tulip festival in The Netherlands, and they did not have fat balls. I feel cheated.
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Photography 101: Black and white at night

9. On May 19, 2014 at 3:25 am Ayan villafuerte said:

weinermobile!

i would love to see that too. haha
    Ayan villafuerte recently posted..subtleties

10. On May 19, 2014 at 12:10 pm Wandering Carol said:

Well I’d like to ride in a Weinermobile. Sounds like there weren’t many tulips, though.
    Wandering Carol recently posted..Cannes Film Festival, high heels change everything

• On May 21, 2014 at 9:49 pm Sally said:

There were lots of tulips along the parade route (no tulips in the actual parade), but I didn’t spend much time looking at them as they were not deep-fried and therefore of little interest to me. 🙂

11. On May 20, 2014 at 1:19 pm Kelly said:

There are two:
    1. The Turkey Testicle Festival in Byron, IL
    2. The Walla Walla Sweet Onion Festival in Walla Walla, WA

12. On May 24, 2014 at 11:50 pm Ceri said:

There’s a place in Michigan called Holland? I’m sorry but that’a amazing!
    Ceri recently posted..When Teachers Beat Their Students

• On May 26, 2014 at 9:37 am Sally said:

Actually, I think Holland is a pretty popular town name in the US. There was a town near my hometown in New York named Holland. But they didn’t take their Dutch heritage quite as seriously as Holland Michigan does. I never heard of them dancing around in wooden shoes.