The No Body-Snark Diet & Full-Length Photo Challenge Links Roundup

July 4, 2013

Howdy, folks!

Seeing as it’s Independence Day here in the States, how about if we all declare our independence from the jerky voices in our head who keep on telling us our thighs are too lumpy? And then we’re all going to go and eat some pie.

Sound good?

Of course, it sounds good!

Because PIE, alright?

In order to help you out a bit, I’ve come up with this round-up of links to blog posts that were inspired by my post from two weeks ago: The No Body-Snark Diet and Full-Length Photo Challenge.

Yes, my blog post inspired other blog posts!

This floors me.

I mean, usually, the most I can hope for is that my blog post will inspire people to eat more cheese.

But THIS?

I never expected THIS in a million years.

And these aren’t just any old blog posts – these are some pretty freaking fabulous blog posts by some pretty freaking fabulous bloggers.

So grab yourself some pie and give them a read, why dontcha?

In this post, Priya tells everyone to kiss her fat, hot yogi ass. And then she basically compared me to Tyra Banks. Or something. Maybe I’m the only one comparing myself to Tyra Banks. I’m okay with that.

My girl, Christy, not only accepted the Full-Length Photo Challenge, she did it in the cutest retro bathing suit EVER. No lies, guys, I NEED that exact same suit.

My college bud, Sandy, also sported a swimsuit in her full-length photo. A swimsuit AND a baby bump. You go, girl!

You may be surprised to know this, but I’m a huge theatre nerd. Yep, I’m such nerd about it, I spell it “theatre” and not “theater.” Deal with it, okay? So I was totally hooked the very first time Kerry threw out a Shakespeare reference in her post about the No Body-Snark Diet. I was also completely hooked by her adorable green dress in the second to last photo. I mean, come on, how cute is that dress?

I met Janice in Chiang Mai, where we once ate bread covered in ice cream together. Yes, that’s totally a THING, okay. I love her post about how she’s going to stop being a jerk to herself almost as much as I love ice cream. And I didn’t even think that was possible.

Excuse me, Jasmijn Decuyper, can we please be best friends? Not only do you have the most fabulous name on the face of the Earth, but I’m totally in love with every single photo of you in this blog post. Is that creepy to admit? I hope not.

Jenni is such a bad ass she bares all in biking shorts. And while rattle-snaking. I don’t even know what rattle-snaking means, but I’m sure it’s a total bad-ass thing to do. I mean, with a name like that, how can it NOT be bad ass?

Umm, how adorable is this full-length photo of Rachel? Seriously, girl has style. In fact, I feel the need to go hang out on a boat dock in a floaty dress and a baseball cap and pigtail braids right now. Who wants to join me?

Lyda Ann has run ten 5K races since October. Yep, TEN. Because the woman’s a superhero, okay?

All the single ladies (and the not-so-single-ladies and the not-so-ladies) need to get themselves over to this post by Lisa. My favorite line (besides ALL OF THEM): “…don’t wait for a guy to come around to sweep you off your feet to make you feel good about yourself. You have to feel good before you can open up yourself to anyone.” WORD. AMIRITE?

I met Teresa at TBEX last month. Seriously, you guys, I have never met someone so vivacious and full of life and outgoing — all while remaining completely sober. I don’t know how she does it. I need at least three drinks to just start talking to people. Needless to say, she’s awesome, and her post is just as awesome.

Jessi is telling her inner-fat-girl to shut up. I’m doing the same. Care to join us?

Love, love, LOVE this eloquent piece by the courageous lady behind Lola Bits who bares all while IN A BIKINI no less.

I was really surprised while reading this completely honest post by Selly about her struggles with her weight and body image. I had met Selly in Shanghai last year, and I was simply blown away by her total and complete confidence. I never would have thought she had even the teensiest hang-up about her body until I read this. I guess we’re all kind of good at hiding the icky stuff that we don’t like about ourselves, huh? Plus, how freaking adorable is Selly’s new dress? I know this post is quickly becoming a list of ALL THE CLOTHES I WANT RIGHT NOW. But I totally want that dress RIGHT NOW.

You guys, I loved every single one of these blog posts to bits and pieces, but I have to say that this recent one by Linda may, in fact, be my favorite. It was these two lines that went straight to my heart: “The way life goes, you never can be sure which is going to be the last picture anyone will ever have of someone. It matters not at all if you ‘look good’ in that picture.” Ain’t that the truth, you guys?

And, while not a blog post at all, I feel the need to share this video which Brenda sent me. The video is of her during the Relay for Life, a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society, which involves you walking with a team of people around a track for twenty-four hours.

But instead of just walking around the track, Brenda decided to dance around the track. And she didn’t just dance, she ROCKED IT.

Brenda ended her email to me by saying this: “If this fat girl can dance on the Internet, anyone can. It’s amazing how little your size matters when you focus on something bigger than yourself.”

Amazing, indeed.

Thank you to all of you who participated in the No Body-Snark Diet and Full-Length Photo Challenge. If you’ve written a post inspired by the No Body-Snark Diet, and I didn’t mention it here, please leave the link below in the comments so I can add it to the list. Also, be sure to check out the Full-Length Photo Challenge Photo Album on Facebook.  If you’d like to participate in the challenge, send a full-length photo of yourself to me at unbravegirl@gmail.com

1. On July 4, 2013 at 12:33 pm Teresa (@TTs Trippin) said:

You continue to amaze me every day with not only your incredible writing gift, but also your huge heart! It’s usually hard for me to pick a favorite post by someone that I love, but in this case, we have a new winner. Your original post WAS my favorite (and still super close to holding that title) but this one sort of summarizes it AND shares the stories that followed. I love the Care Bears and so I like to live the “Sharing is Caring” motto of Share Bear. You would make him proud with your sharing today! You may now go to the front of the class and be the Teachers Pet for the rest of the school year :-) PS-Thanks for the super sweet comments of me too. I’m gonna share in a future post just how I do stay so joyful all the time while not consuming alcohol (or other stimulants)!

• On July 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm Sally said:

Aww, glad you enjoyed the post. And I would be interested to find out your secret to joyfulness without the stimulants (you mean no COFFEE? GAHHH!).

2. On July 4, 2013 at 12:45 pm Christy@SweetandSavoring said:

Yay! Loving all of these beautiful, courageous fellow bloggers. I usually love checking all my blogs at the end of the week for their round-up posts, but this is hands down, the Round-Up Post of the Month. Don’t need to see anymore! :)

Now, where’s that pie you speak of? (My cute retro swim suit is quite forgiving)
    Christy@SweetandSavoring recently posted..Pleasant Summer Evening: A Prairie Home Companion at Tanglewood

• On July 5, 2013 at 6:42 am Sally said:

Ooo, yes, pie. I kind of failed yesterday on that front myself. Although I did eat something called a “carbomb mini-cupcake.” So, SO GOOD!

3. On July 4, 2013 at 2:13 pm Tillie said:

I LOVED this post. Made me cry, laugh, smile, cry again and filled my heart with joy. Already responded to you Twitter, but Twitter is such an unforgiving media if you’re into the whole describing-thing, so there. I was blown away by this post, the original on body snarking and then this one! Stay happy about you and thanks for your wonderful blog.
    It makes a difference. :)

• On July 5, 2013 at 6:40 am Sally said:

Aww, thanks. I usually don’t set out to make much of a difference with my blog — usually because I’m too busy talking about cheese. But this is one issue that we all really need to work on changing. Because it’s really not fair to be so mean to ourselves.

4. On July 4, 2013 at 4:51 pm jacquie said:

beautiful, courageous and inspiring – thanks. and Brenda you do rock girl!!! as do all the other women who posted.

5. On July 5, 2013 at 4:46 am Kerry said:

Thank you so much for these links! Your readers are pretty cool too, as it turns out – funny how that works!
    Kerry recently posted..Archway Market: Fuck you, rich London property owners, I have a cupcake.

6. On July 5, 2013 at 10:24 am Jill Kozak said:

I actually wrote a post inspired by your post as well! It’s called Staying fit on the road. I talk about my struggle with weight, how I maintain it while traveling (especially in the face of constant temptation) and accepting my body and health!

Loved your inspiration!

Cheers!

Jill

• On July 6, 2013 at 12:15 pm Sally said:

Thanks for sharing, Jill. Eating moderately while traveling has always been really hard for me. I’m always amazed by the people who say they lose weight while traveling. When I travel, I always want to eat ALL THE THINGS. Plus, I find it hard to fit regular workout sessions into my traveling schedule. I usually walk A LOT while traveling, but that doesn’t really make up for the fact that I just ate ALL THE THINGS.

7. On July 7, 2013 at 12:54 am Jill Kozak said:

I know what you mean! I love eating all the things!!
    Jill Kozak recently posted..Staying fit on the road

• On July 7, 2013 at 10:30 pm Jenni @ Traveler for Good said:

Seriously! Eating ALL THE THINGS is the main reason I love to travel. The only saving grace is that I walk a lot more when I’m traveling. And if you walk for gelato, or a cupcake, or crazy food on a stick, it’s entirely different.
      Jenni @ Traveler for Good recently posted..Balloons and Bikes – Colorado Style

• On July 10, 2013 at 6:57 am Sally said:

I walk tons too. In fact, that’s another habit I have while traveling — randomly hiking 4 miles for no good reason. Usually while wearing flip-flops. But somehow it doesn’t even out for me. Probably because after my 4 mile flip-flop hike, I justify eating ALL THE CUPCAKES (and ice cream and crazy food on a stick).

8. On July 9, 2013 at 6:59 am Madhu Bhardwaj said:

Sally
    I have read each one of the posts linked by you here. Loved them all. Thanks.
    Just saying, I am first in line for a big prize. ;-)
    Madhu Bhardwaj recently posted..Letters in a sand storm

9. On July 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm Carmel said:

Oh man, I have a lot of reading to do now…

Thanks for inspiring these beautiful posts!
    Carmel recently posted..STOP COLLECTING, START EXPERIENCING

10. On July 24, 2013 at 9:14 pm Heather said:

I’m way behind with my commenting, but wanted to let you know that I think what you’re doing here is truly inspirational. If I posted photos of myself on my blog, I would totally add a full-body one in solidarity!
    Heather recently posted..A Multicultural Lunch at the Langham Xintiandi

11. On August 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm Montecristo Travels (Sonja) said:

This is a wonderful collection! I do need a few chocolate almandines and a Tuscan hot chocolate to read them all (yes those ARE real foods and drink – try them – your welcome!) I just got back from two weeks in Greece and 12 days in Bulgaria where they serve fries and cheese with/on EVERYHTIGN! Yes even breakfast… and you know what? I ATE IT! Yes! And you know why??? Your post. Guilt free too. SO … there. And … thanks.

12. On August 2, 2013 at 2:37 pm Ceri said:

I thought about doing this so I wanted to send a big ‘Way to Go!’ to everyone who did this. And, especially to you Sally, for inspiring it! :-D
    Ceri recently posted..NY Bucket List: #7 – Catch a Yellow Cab/Use the Subway