Introducing My New Blog Series: Stuff I Really Kind of Like About My Life in China

December 7, 2011

Welcome to my new blog series: Stuff I Really Kind of Like About My Life in China.

Or SIRKOLAMLIC for short, if you will.

Actually, no. You will not. Don’t say that. Ever. It just sounds bad. And possibly contagious.

You might think this new little series is for you. You know, so you can find out all about the wonderfully fabulous things that exist in the fine country of China.

You’d be wrong.

This series is totally for me.

You see, sometimes while you’re living in a foreign country you forget about all the cool stuff about the country you’re living in because you’re too busy thinking about all the annoying stuff – like the fact that China keeps on giving you Black Lung. And the fact that China is totally making you fat by force-feeding you all of its dumplings.

So I’ve decided to start this series as a reminder to myself of all the things I really like about my life in China. Because there really are a lot of things I like. I just kind of forget about them when China is trying to kill me. And when China is making it pretty impossible for me to be able to fit back into my pants.

So without further ado, I give you my very first installment of Stuff I Really Kind of Like About My Life in China. And because I’m pretty sure this series will soon progress into a non-stop discussion about dumplings, I thought I’d start off with a totally non-dumpling related topic: my new bad ass fashion accessory, fingerless gloves.

Enjoy!

I’ve always wanted to be a bad ass.

Unfortunately, I don’t really have the demeanor or physique to pull off bad assery

I was always too worried about my permanent record to skip school or break the law.

Motorcycles and heavy metal music scare me.

And I simply don’t have the thighs to wear leather pants.

The only slightly bad ass thing I’ve ever done was get a tattoo – a teeny, tiny one on my back. I was twenty years old at the time and working at a bar in Dublin and feeling like a total punk. My mother had always told me she would disown me if I ever got a tattoo, but what did I care? I didn’t need my mom! I was an independent woman! I was on my own in the world! If I wanted a tattoo, I could get a tattoo!

And, then, I didn’t tell my mom about it until I was thirty.  Because that’s just how wimps like me roll.

Even though I know I’m really not a bad ass, every once in a while I’ll buy an item of clothing that kind of makes me feel like one.

There was the pair of ridiculous platform shoes I drooled over for two months in London until I finally bought them. They were impossible to wear, and I could only have them on for about twenty minutes until my feet would start to spasm, but, man, for those twenty minutes, you did not want to mess with me.

There was the pair of skinny red jeans that I was able to wear for the approximate two minutes of my life that I was skinny.

And, then, there was vintage maroon leather jacket that made me feel just like Samuel L. Jackson. Even if it made me look like a couch (albeit, a totally bad ass couch).

And, now, I have a brand new pair of fingerless gloves.

I always wanted a pair of fingerless gloves. I imagine this has something to do with those mesh fingerless gloves Madonna used to wear. That and my minor childhood obsession with becoming a hobo when I grew up.

But, you see, I could never really justify wearing them before. I lived most of my life in Buffalo, where it snows a lot and fingers on your gloves are seen as kind of a necessity — not so much a decorative item.

Besides, in order to pull off fingerless gloves as an adult, you really need some kind of hardcore job where you’re battling the elements while having to participate in manual labor — you know, like as a bike courier or teamster or street urchin pickpocket.

Seeing as most of my jobs have involved decidedly unhardcore tasks like teaching verb tenses or creating mail-merge documents, I’ve never really had a good excuse to wear fingerless gloves.

That is, until I moved to China to teach.

You see, in China, teaching is kind of like camping – but without the regular source of heat. (Because apparently bonfires in the classroom are really frowned upon here.)

As you can see from the photo below, my classroom bears a striking resemblance to the one-room schoolhouse in Little House on the Prairie – except, again, without the regular source of heat.

My classroom boasts very few modern conveniences and most of the conveniences are not actually very convenient. Only half of the lights in my classroom work. And they only work on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons after three.

During the winter months, both myself and my students spend the entire class period bundled up in winter jackets, scarves and hats – looking like we’re ready to tear up the ski slopes and not, say, the present perfect continuous tense.

Rather frequently while I’m not looking, my students will open one of the windows to create a typhoon-strength wind that blasts through the classroom. I think this might have something to do with feng shui. Either that or they are all participating in a fun new game called, “Let’s Give the Teacher Pneumonia.”

While I can’t say I particularly enjoy teaching in this kind of environment, it does give me a handy excuse to rock out my brand new pair of fingerless gloves like the secret troublemaker that I totally am.

Behold:

Me. And my gloves. Be honest. How scared of me are you right now?

I bought this pair at the 2 yuan store. That’s like 30 cents, guys! Because, nothing says “bad ass” like “bargain shopper”.

And while they may not look like much, I have to say, they really have a way of transforming my usual business casual look into, what I like to refer to as, “bad ass casual.”

Not only have the gloves given my boring teacherly attire an extreme makeover, they’ve also magically transformed all my boring teacherly tasks into activities much more befitting a hooligan such as myself.

Behold:

This is a photo of my hand writing on the board.

And this is a photo of my hand writing on the board like a bad ass.

This is a photo of my hand taking attendance.

And here’s my hand taking names and kicking some attendance ass, if you know what I mean.

Here I am grading papers.

And here I am getting all gangsta on those grammar errors, yo.

As you can see, the difference is immense. I bet you didn’t even recognize my hand in all fingerless glove photos! I bet you were all like, “Whoa, check out the new hand in school. She looks like trouble, that one! I wouldn’t want to run into her in a dark, unheated classroom.”

I’ve got to tell you guys, I’m really digging my new thug look (even if it comes as a result of no central heating).

I think I may have to trade my puffy, winter coat in for a leather jacket.

I’m seriously considering upgrading from my teeny tiny back tattoo to full-sleeve tatts.

And I’m totally buying a Harley and bringing it in to the classroom with me next week. (If only so we can huddle around the exhaust pipe for warmth.)

What about you? Do you have an item of clothing that makes you feel like a bad ass? Do tell! Because sharing is caring… sharing is also totally gangsta, yo.

1. On December 7, 2011 at 12:33 pm Valerie Hamer said:

Hehehhe I LOVE it. Bad ass gloves suit you, keep sharing.

2. On December 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm Maggie said:

“sometimes while you’re living in a foreign country you forget about all the cool stuff about the country you’re living in because you’re too busy thinking about all the annoying stuff”

As of late, I am totally guilty of this! The temperature drop and a month long cold has got me down; I need to focus on the positives. I don’t have fingerless gloves but I do have some really gorgeous brown leather boots. When I walk in them they make that clickity-clack noise I always thought was super cool as a kid. Not so much gangster…but fun for me nonetheless! 🙂
    Maggie recently posted..I’m in a Funk

• On December 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm Sally said:

Ooo, I do love a shoe that makes a clickity-clack noise. I was being ridiculously sensible when I was packing for China, and was determined to pack only 3 pairs of shoes — two pairs of work flats & one pair of sneakers. Luckily, though, my kick ass pair of black boots made it to China with me, even though I wasn’t planning on it. As I was leaving Buffalo in the middle of winter, I needed something to wear in the snow, so that’s what I ended up wearing on my flight. And, thank god, I did! I would be lost without at least one pair of clickity-clackity shoes.

3. On December 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm MaryAnne said:

Arm covers! You need arm covers! Not only do they keep your sleeves chalk dust free but your forearms stay toasty warm! Also, if you kill a man you don’t have to throw away your coat just because you get blood on your sleeves— just toss away the arm covers! They know what they’re doing in this country- all badass bases are covered!
    MaryAnne recently posted..I’m Nothing if Not Versatile. PS Dear Shanghai, I Don’t Hate You Any More

4. On December 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm The Travel Chica said:

I bought a pair of leather boots when I lived in Buenos Aires that made me feel like a bad-ass (and less like a dirty backpacker).

However, similar to you, my reason for buying them was warmth, since I had nothing warm with me to survive the winter months.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Have You Been to the Toilets and Bidets Museum?

• On December 8, 2011 at 12:02 am Sally said:

Oh, I really want to buy a new pair of boots for winter. I only have one pair and they’re not very warm or comfortable (but they are pretty bad ass!). Unfortunately, my feet are way too big to buy shoes in Asia. I’ve had to stop myself from going in any of the department stores as I always experience way too much boot envy!

5. On December 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm Audrey said:

Haha, I love the series of photos before and after the gloves. Nothing says bad ass like warm knit gloves. I got a pair of fingerless gloves in Peru, except mine are more rainbow coloured, so when I wear them I look more like a child than someone who should be on the back of a Harley… 😀
    Audrey recently posted..Top 10 Things to Buy in a Vietnamese Market

6. On December 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm Heather said:

You’ve just made me realize that I don’t have any wicked cool clothing — at least none that I’ve picked up on my travels. And as I ponder more, no, I don’t think I have anything that fits into the category at all. But I’ve considered getting a tattoo (but never got one). Sigh. Not very cool, huh?

Eager to see the next installment in the series 😉 Rock those gloves chica!
    Heather recently posted..Macaron Day (Zumboron Day) 2011

• On December 8, 2011 at 12:00 am Sally said:

Well, I think you’re going to have to go out and buy yourself something bad ass. I used to buy a lot of fun bad ass fashiony things at Goodwill and other 2nd hand shops. It was a great way to get unique items (like the Samuel L. Jackson maroon leather coat) without spending a bundle. Get ye to a Goodwill, girl!

7. On December 7, 2011 at 3:18 pm 50+ and on the Run said:

Well, there is this bitchin’ leather jacket…
    50+ and on the Run recently posted..Dinner in Ten Minutes

8. On December 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm 50+ and on the Run said:

PS: tried to stumble, but got the message “website–non-fatal error.”
    50+ and on the Run recently posted..Dinner in Ten Minutes

• On December 7, 2011 at 11:57 pm Sally said:

Oh weird, I don’t use Stumble, so I’m not even sure what that means. I know people have Stumbled my blog in the past, though, as I get quite a lot of traffic through it. Hopefully, it’s just a little glitch!

9. On December 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm Patricia GW said:

The fingerless gloves are TOTALLY bad ass. That line about the kids trying to give you pneumonia cracked me up – do they enjoy being so frozen cold? I’m surviving another dark winter here in Michigan, and I have my space heater with me at all times. It doesn’t sound like the electricity works dependably enough to bring one of your own into the class though?

PS – What is your tattoo of? I would totally do the same thing and hide it from my mother for ten years.
    Patricia GW recently posted..Obsessing Over… Anti-Materialism?

• On December 7, 2011 at 11:55 pm Sally said:

I’ve talked to my students and other Chinese people about the open window thing and it is just something they do here. Even in the dead of winter. They always say it’s because they like fresh air. (I also like fresh air but not when it’s freezing!) In the end, they just think I’m crazy for NOT wanting the window open.
      I really do think it has something to do with feng shui, as feng shui is very concerned with wind direction and good winds and bad winds and all kinds of other winds. That or they’re just trying to kill off all the foreign people!
      My tattoo is a small Celtic-designed star. I’ve thought about getting another one — maybe something Japanese inspired since I spent so much time there. But that would be hard to hide from my mom!

10. On December 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm James in Phnom Penh said:

I used to care about fashion before I moved to Cambodia, where everyone sports a “Dolche” belt or an “Armanni” shirt… With all the knockoffs around, who can appreciate an original? That being said, I do love my striped Paul Smith hat, even though I look totally ridiculous with it on. And my Banana Republic raincoat which draws the stares, as apparently anything other than a 25 cent disposable rain poncho is a crowd stopper…
    James in Phnom Penh recently posted..All my favorite C’s: Cozumel, Caymans, Coladas

11. On December 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm keith said:

Black face masks for scooter drivers. I picked myself up one in Taipei recently.

• On December 7, 2011 at 11:46 pm Sally said:

I haven’t seen any funky color face masks here. Actually, face masks aren’t really worn here like they are in Japan and other Asian countries. I might have to start a new trend.

12. On December 7, 2011 at 8:30 pm Selly said:

Badass!!! I like 🙂 In fact I want a pair for at home and work cos I’m always freezing. As for my favourite item, my purple scarf, it is totally cool and the only umbrella type thing that works in Ireland…unless of course I want to continue buying a new 5€ umbrella every week…

13. On December 7, 2011 at 9:13 pm Erik said:

Good stuff- I look forward to reading more. I have a feeling there may be another post on dumplings coming in this series 🙂
    Erik recently posted..Photo of the Day- Fort Raliegh National Historic Site, North Carolina

• On December 7, 2011 at 11:44 pm Sally said:

Well, one of the good things about dumplings (there are MANY good things about dumplings, by the way) is that there are like 12 million different kinds — soup dumplings, steamed dumplings, fried dumplings, little dumplings, big dumplings, and so on and so on. So I could really write like 12 million different blog posts about dumplings and still not have exhausted the topic…

14. On December 7, 2011 at 11:45 pm Katherina said:

I feel like an absolute bad ass when I wear my black motorcycle leather jacket plus black leather boots. Seriously, those days I feel like I can run the World!
    Then again, most of the time I would combine this with a flowery dress and a pink scarf… and that’s definitely the end of bad assery!
    Katherina recently posted..What Has Kept Me too Busy to Blog

15. On December 8, 2011 at 1:53 am Mario Lurig said:

That close-up face/glove photo? I fell out of my chair when the enlarged version rendered on my monitor. Phew! I barely escaped with the ESC key.
    Bad
    Ass
    Chick

I have a coat that has military influences and awesome lines, and I always feel like I own the place when I have it buttoned up. Here’s a picture (not me):
    Mario Lurig recently posted..Slumber Party (Day 13)

16. On December 8, 2011 at 3:19 am Ken C. said:

Whoa! Crazy girl with the fingerless gloves! Scary eyes, I tell you…dont’ want to mess with the likes of her…

I do have arm sleeves from China…if you ride bikes [which I should do more often], those arm sleeves help keep the sun off your forearms [you don’t have to use much sun screen, and you’ll avoid that “sunburned” look].

When we lived in Panama decades ago, I had a canvas photographer’s vest…lots & lots of pockets, which is why I wore it. But, other shady characters, or spies & not-so-undercover people would sometimes wear a vest to conceal a weapon [too warm in Panama to wear a suit coat or blazer]. I’m too mild to be intimidating, though.

• On December 8, 2011 at 5:57 am Sally said:

I’ve seen the arm sleeves before. They were also really big in Japan. But most of the ones I’ve seen don’t look very bad ass. I’d want something in leather… maybe with ornamental studs.

17. On December 8, 2011 at 5:07 am Sarah said:

Does a hippy grassroots “Farmers Feed Cities” t-shirt count?

Because I feel like a flat-out bad-ass when I wear it. It usually makes people think I am really passionate about agriculture. And even though that’s not necessarily the case, it’s all about people THINKING you’re a bad ass.

And then you start to believe them.
    Sarah recently posted..The Time with the Costco…and other Tourist Attractions in Koh Samui

18. On December 8, 2011 at 5:11 am Kathy said:

Ha ha! Love it! I often wished I had fingerless gloves when I was there. Will enjoy these posts.

19. On December 8, 2011 at 8:06 am Lauren said:

Ah, yes, I remember back when I was 12 years old and desperate to be seen as being hardcore and gangsta to fit in with my friends. I bought an arm sleeve with tattoos of fairies on for 50p on eBay. SO badass.
    Lauren recently posted..Becoming a Terracotta Warrior in Xi’an

20. On December 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm Margaret said:

Love your idea about writing about the good side of living where you live. It’s so easy to get caught up in stuff that bugs you.

My bad ass of the moment is that I’m sporting elaborately black-hennaed hands! I had both hands done in Marrakech last week–chose black because it lasts longer. I’m back in Chile now, where people tend not to say much (to your face), but those who have want to know if it hurt– So apparently I’m getting bad ass street cred for some serious (though faux) tatts!

• On December 9, 2011 at 3:13 am Sally said:

Ooo, that sounds totally bad ass. I had my hands & feet hennaed when I was in Morrocco. I loved how even after the henna had faded, I had sun tan lines in the design of the tattoo. Totally bad ass!

21. On December 8, 2011 at 11:15 pm Marie said:

I’m thinking of going back into teaching just because of this post. My only condition is that I can find a pair of those gloves. No gloves, no going back to abandoned careers. (Was that a badass thing to say? I’m practising.)
    Marie recently posted..In Defence of Food: Book review

22. On December 9, 2011 at 3:42 am Kieu ~ GQ trippin said:

Bahahahaha! You and your bad ass fingerless gloves made me LOL for real. That and the kids trying to give you pneumonia. I LOVE wearing my fingerless gloves especially when I’m typing. Makes me feel like I’m typing something incriminating, some bad ass story in the making (or.. a friendly email to my mom). =P Can’t wait to read more on your series.
    Kieu ~ GQ trippin recently posted..Why I Hate Running & Still Ran a Half-Marathon

23. On December 9, 2011 at 9:55 am renee said:

I think the obvious thing to do now is eat some dumplings in a bad-ass manner…and of course provide photographic evidence to the internet of your bad ass eating habits.
    My bad ass accessories are big ass sunglasses and dark lipstick…not clothes, but still bad ass… I think
    renee recently posted..Buddha Lovin’

24. On December 9, 2011 at 9:25 pm Ayngelina said:

I like the addition of photos because I have a feeling China may not be what I am picturing in my head – which is pretty much Chinatown in Toronto.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Food Photo Friday: Spain loves pig

• On December 10, 2011 at 5:51 am Sally said:

And, here, you probably had no idea it actually looks like Little House on the Prairie… minus the regular source of heat. (Man, what I wouldn’t do for a wood-burning stove right about now!)

25. On December 10, 2011 at 10:06 pm Joseph said:

Ok, we must be twins or something. I was in Budapest the other week and bought a pair of fingerless gloves, because, as you said, they are bad ass. That combined with my bomber jacket I was a HIT. The crowds parted like the Red Sea. Oh yeah, look out, fingerless gloved dude ahead! Sweet! My mom doesn’t approve with them, but hey, I’m my own man, right? A bad ass one, with the gloves and 2 tattoos to boot! Keep on the good work. And as an idea of the bracelet I am making, which one would you chose? the one that says “unbrave girl” or “I heart my couch”?
    Joseph recently posted..The Italian adventure – part 2

26. On December 11, 2011 at 1:03 pm choi kum fook said:

I am getting more interesting in your new blog series, that is illustrating about your job, teaching in school! Especially the fingerless gloves, it makes me awesome and a little bit of amusing.Due to my innocent, I always thought the fingerless gloves is made from a pair of gloves with bottom tips cut off by your own! Ha!Ha! So ridiculous! Miss Sally, terima kaseh for your great post!

27. On December 11, 2011 at 4:08 pm pam said:

I have a serious black cowboy fringe leather jacket. Not the 80s kind, nope, more like the 60s kind, Easy Rider kind. It’s black and it’s kind of noisy and it weighs a ton. I don’t wear it very often, but when I do, I make sure I use impeccable manners and am super polite to everyone so they DO NOT FEAR ME.

Seriously, it’s awesome.
    pam recently posted..Forgotten But Not Gone

28. On December 11, 2011 at 4:19 pm Alex said:

It’s not an item of clothing, but driving my motorbike makes me feel like the most badass chick ever… despite the fact that every human on this island- and some breeds of dogs- drive motorbikes, making it a completely unspectacular activity. But yeah, I pretty much can’t get enough of myself.
    Alex recently posted..Photo of the Week 26

• On December 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm Sally said:

Good for you, Alex! I feel like a bad ass every time I ride on the back of a motorbike (even though I’m cringing and holding on for dear life) so I can’t even imagine how I felt if I was actually driving.

29. On December 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm Kyle said:

BADASSNES. Love it!

And yeah, it’s always so much better to focus on the stuff that’s good about life, whether you’re an expat or not! Great new series!
    Kyle recently posted..Frutillar

• On December 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm Sally said:

Thanks, Kyle, glad you’re enjoying the new series. It has been good for me to focus on the positives even if it’s been so hard since it’s been so cold out!

30. On December 16, 2011 at 9:22 am Jacob Yount said:

My first job in China, I had an “a yi”, a lady who’d clean my apartment. Back then, I couldn’t speak 2 words of Chinese, so I asked the HR girl at the company to tell the cleaning lady to please not open the windows in the summer time because when I came home, the pad was swarming with mosquitos.

Once I asked the HR girl this…the whole office got quiet and you could hear a pin drop. It was awkward and since then, something wasn’t right. Since then I learned, regardless of conditions, Chinese bros and sis, will open windows to “freshen up” the room and…that’s all there is to it.

Long story, but Sally, I feel you…
    Jacob Yount recently posted..China Water-Cooler Chatter

• On December 18, 2011 at 1:10 pm Sally said:

I do enjoy me some fresh air (and, in the summer, I would much rather have open windows & fans instead of AC) and I can understand airing out a room for a couple minutes or so… but not while I AM IN IT! And definitely not while I’m expected to work! Gahh!

• On March 12, 2012 at 11:48 am Jack said:

Opening windows is largely a developed behavioral response to the very humid climate in Asia. I didn’t realize this until I was reading another expat’s blog and she was complaining about pneumonia and mould/fungus growth in her house.

Generally speaking a house is more humid inside than it is outside – so, by opening the window, you are letting the humid air out, and having cross ventilation increase the air exchange rate from inside to outside tremendlously, and decrease the humidity inside the house.

The kitchen is probably one of the worst aspect of asian apartment design (due to lack of space) where it is often neglected and put at the area where there is little to no cross ventilation (often just one small window to the side). It is warm, and it is humid (cooking the meat and vegetable releases the water inside into air). It is a reason I think getting a fume extractor is a good idea (“range hood” for you north americans!) – remember this has to be ducted to the outside or its pointless to install one – it only spread the moist air from cooking to the whole kitchen unless you directly vent the moist air to the outside).

Which brings us back to why Chinese People Open Windows in Winter……..
      This is a adaptive response to the environment – a custom that now most Chinese have long forgotten why even in the first place – I think one of the explanation my mom told me once was to “rid of the evil bad air”. Now in this new context, I started to see that she is not wrong, the “evil bad air” being the moisture/moist air that could cause the mould to grow and causing people to get seriously sick. This is never really a problem in the west due to the fact that most western houses are built using timber which can absorb and regulate moisture inside the house. A cement building can’t so the excess moisture creates a very humid environment for the moulds to flourish. This is also compounded by the fact in most of the developed asian cities there are very little vegetations or plant life around in city (trees, forest..) where it plays a huge role in regulating the humidity of the environment. In western countries a house is usually surrounded by trees and gardens (and parks!), where vegetations would absorb the excess moisture and water in air. As China modernize, cities grow, deforestation occurs and this is the consequence. And most cities been densely populated there are hardly any parks around that can absorb and regulate these excess water.

31. On December 18, 2011 at 1:22 am Chinabecky said:

Actually, I think your STILL a little nuts. I’m also teaching in southern China and I couldn’t handle fingerless gloves. I need the full glove coverage to keep my fingers working the whole class (especially writing class where there is a lot of down time for the teacher.)

Some of the other foreign teachers have resorted to buying small space heaters and using them in class. But I think that is not at all keeping in the spirit of “rugged survival,” so I decide to tough it out, but wearing full fingered gloves. (Though I will admit that I have fingerless gloves in my house to use for writing on the computer, so I’m a little bad ass, right?)
    Chinabecky recently posted..Comment on New in the Snack Aisle by Lynn

• On December 18, 2011 at 1:08 pm Sally said:

I have been a bit tempted to bring my space heater into the classroom. But I’d feel a bit bad hogging it to myself while my students shivered away at their seats. Plus, yeah, it would take away some of my bad assery.

32. On January 2, 2012 at 7:21 pm Bohemian Trails said:

I’m liking this series! I’ve never been to China but would love to go. Keep it up!
    Bohemian Trails recently posted..4 Countries. 3 Continents. 2 Bags. 1 Girl

33. On February 21, 2012 at 5:27 am Ceri said:

Haha. I love finger gloves. Those and arm warmers. I live in those constantly. Welcome to the dark side. 😉
    Ceri recently posted..Return to Blogging (with a Vlog)

1. Stuff I Really Kind of Like About My Life in China: Old Timey Villages | unbrave girl
  2. unbrave girl | 5 Things I Learned After 10 Months of Living in China (with pictures!)
  3. unbrave girl | Stuff I Really Kind of Like About Japan