Oh, hello there, friends. I’m in my PJs, drinking too much coffee and trying to avoid the fact that I have about a billion things I need to get done today and I should probably go into work but I DON’T WANT TO AND YOU CAN’T MAKE ME.
Let’s avoid facts together with some random stuff, shall we?
1. Sad news, friends. I had to send my passport in to get it renewed which means I had to say goodbye to the only semi-decent photo ID I’ve ever had.
I even had a cold when I had this photo taken (hence the reddish hue of my nose). But look at how I’m working my scarf game! I totally look European here! And my eyebrows actually looked like I cared! It’s been a while since that was the case.
My new photo is not horrible, but, it’s still not as good as my old photo.
I just look really uncomfortable. I blame the new rule where you’re not allowed to smile showing your teeth anymore. According to the Department of State website, only “natural smiles” are allowed. Who naturally smiles without their teeth? I thought that was the whole point of teeth — to smile with! Besides, Americans have a bad enough rap overseas. Do we really want to look all grumpy and uncomfortable in our passport photos, too?
I’m just thankful that I sent everything in before they start banning eyeglasses in passport photos — that rule starts in November. As a proud glasses-wearer I feel this is very discriminatory.
Heck, even in China, I was allowed to wear glasses for my visa photo. Except they made me wear fake, old-man glasses without the lenses — I’m assuming to cut down on the glare. Or because that was all the rage in Asia. You have to admit they do look quite fetching.
2. In other news of my life, I received this mysterious package in the mail from my mom this week.
And then when I opened it up, there was a large rubber unicorn head inside. Because, of course there was.
And the rubber unicorn head was stuffed with jars of homemade jam and maple syrup.
And people wonder why I’m weird. Probably because I was raised by a woman who sends rubber unicorn heads to people stuffed with jars of jam.
(P.S. Hi, mom! Thanks for the package!)
3. On a related note, unicorn cafes are a thing and now I have to move to Bangkok.
4. So I know I complained last week about the lack of proper making-out-it-ness (totally a word) between Miss Fisher and the Inspector on Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. A few of you commented, telling me to not give up and to stick with it as if I even have a choice because NETFLIX ADDICTION IS REAL, YOU GUYS.
Well, I finally got to the end of season 3 where (spoiler alert) they FINALLY kissed, and I actually started clapping and cheering and my cat looked at me like this:
But, you guys, where’s season four? Is there even going to be a season four? I’ve been lurking on the show’s Facebook page, and even they don’t seem to know. How can the show end now when THEY FINALLY KISSED?? Arrrgghhh!
5. The weather this week has been decidedly chilly and fall-like, which meant I finally got to break out my favorite fall look: dress-with-tights-and-knee-high-boots-because-I’m-faaahhncy.
I got a lot of compliments on this plaid skater dress and even had a student shout out in the middle of class that I had “nice style today.” I also wore this plaid shirt dress this week. (I’m slightly plaid-obsessed, can you tell?) It’s super comfy and looks great with my other favorite fall look: leggings-under-the-dress-because-it-feels-like-I’m-wearing-pajamas.
6. Speaking of fall, I made these pumpkin crumb cake muffins with maple icing and they are basically fall in muffin form.
And, for once, I didn’t mess up the icing by either a) adding too much liquid because the powder-sugar-to-liquid ratio always looks all wrong to me or b) putting the icing on while the muffin’s still too hot because I WANT TO EAT IT RIGHT NOW I DON’T CARE IF IT’S TOO HOT.
7. Let’s talk podcasts. I’m a huge fan of listening to podcasts while I workout because I am that nerd. My new favorite one to listen to is Reply All. It’s a podcast about technology and the Internet, but it’s not about boring stuff like servers and HTML code. Instead it’s about imaginary friends and weird Internet scams. And most of the episodes are about thirty minutes long which is about as long as I spend on the treadmill every day.
Also, this episode of This American Life about a phone booth to the dead in Japan made me cry. And then I was crying in the gym. Again.
What’s your favorite podcast to listen to?
8. Speaking of crying, this story of a recent Syrian immigrant helping out a stranger in need gave me all the feels.
9. I loved this incredibly honest post on gaining weight and why it’s really nobody’s business (even if people are always making it their business).
10. Apparently, hermit is a legitimate job title in Switzerland. Excuse me while I move to Switzerland right now.
That’s all, friends! I hope you’re having a fabulous week. Please feel free to share your favorite podcasts, muffin recipes and stories about the weirdest package you’ve ever been sent.