Random Stuff List

September 25, 2016

Unbrave Girl / Random Stuff List

Howdy, friends. How is your weekend treating you? I was ridiculously productive on Saturday. (I even got out of bed before nine! NINE!). Which means I’ve been ridiculously unproductive today. I didn’t wake up until noon, and then it took me an hour just to decide what to have for breakfast, and another hour to make it. And now I’m ready for a nap.

So let’s get this random stuff list started because that nap isn’t just going to take itself, now is it?

1. It’s FINALLY feeling like fall here. Yesterday, I woke up to sixtyish degree weather which meant I was basically forced to take a long walk on crunchy leaves followed by a visit to the cider mill for donuts and cider. (FORCED, I TELL YOU!)

Unbrave Girl / Random Stuff List

I think I’m about ten degrees away from going apple-picking (even though I can never eat all the apples I pick) and wearing ALL THE TURTLENECKS.

2. Speaking of fall, it’s time to put pumpkin, squash and sweet potatoes in ALL THE THINGS. I love this pumpkin granola recipe. These sweet potato and black bean quesadillas look amazing. And I need this butternut goat cheese dip in my life.

3. Have you done that three-fictional-characters-that-best-describe-you thing that everybody’s doing on the Facebook? I literally laid awake the other night trying to figure out who my three characters would be. The first one was easy: Liz Lemon from 30 Rock because cheese and DUH. But I couldn’t figure out who the other two would be.

I really wanted them to be super fancy and smart, like characters from a Jane Austen novel or Downton Abbey. Although I suspect I’d be Lady Edith because that’s what a Facebook quiz told me once and who, honestly, wants to admit to being Lady Edith?

But then I realized I needed some characters who were bit more socially awkward/cranky/antisocial, and I settled on Mary Catherine Gallagher from Saturday Night Live because I really love plaid and have been known to break out into jazz hands at inappropriate moments and Oscar the Grouch because GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS.

I think I pretty much nailed it.

What are the three fictional characters that best describe you?

4. What are you watching on the TV right now? I’m still slowly working my way through Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries on Netflix which I love, but can anyone tell me if Miss Fisher and the Inspector EVER make out or am I wasting my entire life in an endless state of hope???

I’ve also been watching some of the new fall shows on Hulu. I love The Good Placewith Kristen Bell as a really bad person who ends up in heaven by mistake.

And I really wanted to like This is Usbut, uggh, the way they treat the fat character is pretty much the worst. Hey, Hollywood, guess what? It’s entirely possible to be overweight and not completely hate yourself. It’s also entirely possible to not have your entire life revolve around the size of your pants — no matter what size pants you wear! It’s true!

(Excuse me while I start a petition to get Donna Meagle back on television where she belongs.)

5. I just bought twelve pairs of the same underwear online because I’ve become that person who basically buys the same clothes over and over again until she dies or until the company discontinues or changes the product and basically ruins my life. (I’m looking at YOU, Champion, for changing your sports bras.)

In case you’re wondering, my go-to clothing purchases are: these jeans, these leggings, this bra, these workout shirts and these workout capris.

6. Okay, I did kind of break out of my usual clothing rut and buy two empire-waisted tops recently. I LOVE them because they feel like pajamas but are fancy enough for work. But I was a bit worried I’d be mistaken for pregnant and this would happen to me. Because, apparently, it’s still totally cool for people to make comments and assumptions about women’s bodies in public. Great.

7. I used to be one of those people who would very gleefully brag about not knowing how to cook because I thought that’s what being a feminist was about. Until I realized that it’s not really feminist to be proud of the fact that you can’t feed your own self. Plus, cooking is fun and leads to even funner things, like, EATING!

On a related note: Stop taking pride in not knowing how to do basic shit.

8. I love these quotes from famous women on being alone.

Especially this from writer, Susan Cain:

“In our culture, snails are not considered valiant animals — we are constantly exhorting people to ‘come out of their shells’ — but there’s a lot to be said for taking your home with you wherever you go.”

Be the snail, people. Be the snail.

9. As if I needed more reasons to love fall: cats wearing scarves while posing in piles of fall leaves.

Excuse me while I go learn how to knit George a scarf.

That’s all, friends. Let me know what fall dishes you’re craving, what your go-to clothing purchases are and how I can go about knitting a scarf for my cat.

1. On September 25, 2016 at 7:29 pm Priya said:

Man, you really know a person when she tells you what kind of underwear she wears 😉

PS: Yes to autumn! ALL THINGS AUTUMN!
    Priya recently posted..Hiking The Franz Josef Glacier in New Zealand

2. On September 26, 2016 at 5:30 am zoe said:

Ooh, those quotes on being alone are PERFECT. Though I think I’m more a Fran Lebowitz: “That I am totally devoid of sympathy for, or interest in, the world of groups is directly attributable to the fact that my two greatest needs and desires — smoking cigarettes and plotting revenge — are basically solitary pursuits. Oh, sure, sometimes a friend or two drops by and we light up together and occasionally I bounce a few vengeance ideas around with a willing companion, but actual meetings are really unnecessary.”
    zoe recently posted..I went to Salone del Gusto and the only photo I got was this taxidermy boar wearing sunglasses. (I am such a bad blogger.)

3. On September 26, 2016 at 9:55 am kathig said:

re: Miss Fisher, keep watching 😉 I mean, it’s PBS, you’re not going to get smolders, but it does develop a bit further

• On September 28, 2016 at 6:03 pm Sally said:

Well, I don’t exactly expect an orgy between Miss Fisher and the Inspector. But some smooching and fading to black would work for me… so far the raciest it’s been is them waltzing together. 🙂

4. On September 26, 2016 at 1:02 pm laura said:

uhm so i’m just a random person on the internet but i’m going to leave this comment anyway because this squash recipe is like pretty much the Best Thing Ever:

5. On September 26, 2016 at 1:20 pm Tiffany said:

Just bought all my pumpkin puree I need! Overnight pumpkin oatmeal!

My 3 Fictional Characters are: Toula from MBFGW, Mia Thermopolis from Princess Diaries, and Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

The Cats in scarves post is absolutely adorable.

Are you on Pinterest? I see pins about you, but I haven’t been able to find you!

6. On September 26, 2016 at 1:38 pm Sandra L. said:

#5. I hear you. I regret not buying 10 pairs of pajama bottoms at Target in 2009. They are black, loose, cool and capri length. They are my absolute favorite shorts. Yes, I wear them as shorts. I did find a substitute made by Champion via Amazon last year.

#4 “Miss Fisher” is on my Netflix watch list, but haven’t seen it yet. I’m watching “Inspector Morse” but Netflix is pulling the plug on it soon. Thank the Lord for Interlibrary Loan. I’ll never forgive them for pulling “Doctor Who” off the air.

• On September 28, 2016 at 5:58 pm Sally said:

Oh man, Target is where I used to get my favorite ever sports bra which they have now changed in an attempt to RUIN MY LIFE. Why must they change EVERYTHING?
      And you MUST watch Miss Fisher. It’s SO GOOD. Even if I spend so much of my time watching it yelling at my screen to “JUST KISS HER ALREADY, INSPECTOR!!!”

7. On September 27, 2016 at 2:26 pm Linda Bergstrom said:

About Miss Fisher…yes do keep watching. And meanwhile drool over ALL THE CLOTHES

And it’s not on Netflix but I also suggest watching the Doctor Blake Murder Mysteries if you can find them. Those Aussies know who to make good TV.
    Ask your PBS station to get them or perhaps if lost of people request them on Netflix, they might deliver.
    Linda Bergstrom recently posted..Quick Notes about Being Retired ….. Comfort is Queen

• On September 28, 2016 at 5:54 pm Sally said:

Oh trust me, I won’t stop watching Miss Fisher. In fact, I’m already worried that I’m almost through season 3 and there doesn’t appear to be a season 4 in sight. (Please, PLEASE, Australia, tell me you haven’t cancelled such amazing TV goodness.) I just watch every episode on bated breath wondering if THIS is going to be the episode where the the lady detective and the inspector finally get it on. Enough of this smoldering glance stuff!

8. On September 28, 2016 at 8:36 pm Tim said:

Yaaaay pumpkins!!!!!!! Bread, bisque, soup, cake, pancakes, waffles, cookies, beer…..count me in. Three fictional characters that best describe me…..Ebenezer Scrooge from Charles Dickens’ classic Elf…er uh I mean A Christmas Carol mostly because of how I have mellowed as life has kick dirt in my Cheerios fro time to time….second is Walter Sobchak from The Big Lebowski because “Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o’clock this afternoon… with nail polish” and lastly Tom Sawyer from Mark Twain’s books because I have always lived a pretty charmed existence. Enjoy the fall semester and always remember, they are imagining you in your underwear while you are lecturing them….no, wait….you are imagining you in your underwear—-I forget, something about being in underwear when you are talking. 🙂