Oh hello there,
Is it Sunday? I hadn’t even noticed. I’m FINALLY on vacation after teaching summer classes for the past three months. So dates and days and times have lost all meaning. As have pants.
Let’s talk random stuff, shall we?
1. Yesterday, I started volunteering at a local animal shelter. And, you guys, I’M IN SO MUCH TROUBLE. I basically wanted to steal all the cats.
The only thing that stopped me from shoving them all into my shirt and taking them home with me was the knowledge that George would murder me in my sleep. While she acts like I’m physically torturing her every time I pet her, I can just imagine what would go down if she saw me petting some other cat.
And then last night, George actually sat on my lap while I was watching TV which she NEVER does because she only likes to show me affection when it’s super inconvenient. Like when I’m eating or taking a shower.
But, she just sat on my lap and looked up at me with her big green eyes. And I thought, “Either she really loves me or she knows I was cheating on her all day with other cats.”
Either way, I’m in dangerous territory, my friends. Dangerous territory.
2. You guys, I just bought pepper spray for the first time ever. They were selling it in the back-to-school supplies section of the Meijer yesterday. Which makes me super sad because I remember when college shopping meant buying over-priced books you’d only ever read a few pages of and a bean-bag chair which would explode somewhere around mid-semester. And now, apparently, preparing for college means stocking up on self defense tools.
But, on the plus side, it’s pink and super cute. (There was also a purple, bedazzled one, FYI).
I bought it mostly to go solo camping and hiking to help defend myself against possible creepers and/or bears. Mostly bears. Even though I know due to my obsessive Google searching about bear attacks, that I’m much more likely to be killed by lightning than I am to be attacked by a bear.
On a related note, anybody know of any pepper spray that works on lightning?
Okay, so that last shirt didn’t have anything to do with camping, but it did have unicorns. So there’s that.
5. There are so many news articles out there about Chinese tourists acting badly and Americans acting horribly to non-Americans (or people they deem “not American”).
But this article about a retired Chinese couple on an epic American road trip has totally restored my faith in America and all of humanity and, oh gosh, I just want to invite those two over to dinner. Even though we wouldn’t be able to speak as they don’t speak English and I don’t speak Chinese, but, whatever, we’d figure it out. Hopefully over dumplings.
6. Speaking of epic road trips, anyone want to drive around Japan to try out all the regional varieties of soft serve ice cream (or “soft-o cream” as they call it)?
Yes, I thought so. Let’s meet at the airport in an hour.
(P.S. You’re going to have to do all the driving because I can’t do that whole driving on the other side of the road thing. I tried it once and let’s just say I screamed the whole time. And I wasn’t screaming for ice cream.)
I think I know just the girl for the job.
8. I visited Detroit’s outdoor public art extravaganza, the Heidelberg Project, two years ago. It’s basically an entire inner-city neighborhood decked out with polka-dotted streets, mutilated barbies and spray-painted shoes. In other words, it’s amazing.
Sad news: it’s being dismantled by its creator over the next two years.
Good news: it’s being replaced by something called an “arts-infused community.” I have no idea what that means either, but, whatever it is, I’m so THERE.
9. This recipe for lemon zucchini bread is totally going to help me realize my dream to turn all the vegetables I buy into cake.
10. If you live alone, you can probably relate to these tweets. It’s possible I, too, have given an entire speech to my refrigerator. (But only because my microwave refused to listen.)
How was your week? Have any recipes, links or other fun stuff you want to share? Tell me all about it below!