All hail, Sunday! The day when pancakes are required, pants are not and I regal you with tidbits about my life, Internet links and my current TV obsessions.
Let’s get started, shall we?
1. Good news! I have finally finished teaching for the summer! I still have approximately a billion research papers to grade. (Okay, only fifteen, but I swear those suckers multiply when I’m not looking).
But once my grading is finished, I will be FREEEEEE!!! For only about two weeks, but, still, FREEEEEEE!!!
I have a couple camping trips planned — including another overnight backpacking trip. And I also will be having some family in town. But what I’m really looking forward to is having a bit of a break from work.
Heck, I may even write a real blog post or two. You know, like, a post that’s about an actual thing and not just, well, stuff. Or, more likely, I will spend my days going to weekday matinees at the cinema (MY FAVORITE!), eating ice cream for dinner (ALSO, MY FAVORITE!) and staying up way past my bedtime (MY SUPER DUPER FAVORITE!).
2. Last week, I shared with you the exciting revelation that, yes, in fact, you CAN microwave corn on the cob!
This week’s revelation: You can, in fact, put a mattress pad on to a queen-size mattress all by yourself no matter what the jerky mattress pad people say on the packaging! (Admittedly, this is maybe not as life-changing as the corn revelation. But, still.)
Also related: cats are not helpful when it comes to doing a two-person task single-handedly. In fact, they will usually just stare at you in a judgey “you really think you can do that by yourself I MEAN THIS IS YOU WE’RE TALKING ABOUT HERE??” kind of way.
And, when, you do complete said task single-handedly, they will still stare at you all judgey-like.
Because that is what cats do.
3. Can we talk about the lady athletes of the Olympics?
I don’t even have real TV to watch the Olympics on, but I’ve been obsessively watching Youtube clips of Simone Biles. (Seriously, you guys, how does she do that with her body? I don’t even understand.)
“You have to understand everyone’s body was built to do something… I was built to do something, and that’s how I was built. I think the world is realizing we were promoting one body type and there have always been many.”
Also, I love that she talks about showing up to the field in fake eyelashes. You do you, Michelle. You do YOU.
4. Speaking of Youtube videos I’m currently obsessing over: have you watched The Fitness Marshall dance videos?
Omigod, so fun. And totally bringing my kitchen pop-song dancing to a different LEVEL.
I also love that one of the regular back-up dancers is not your typical teeny, tiny back-up dancer.
5. I just discovered Fat Girls Hiking website and Facebook page and I’m seriously IN LOVE, you guys. They’re proof that you don’t have to be a certain size, shape or fitness level to hit the trails. After all, nature doesn’t care what size pants you wear!
Also, you shouldn’t care so much about what size pants you wear anyway because pants are stupid. And leggings work just as well.
6. Also, hiking related: Solo Hiking Safety Tips.
I totally do the thing where I regularly post photos to the Instagram so everyone will know I’m okay. It’s for my SAFETY, you guys.
And not because I’m a show-off who wants to tell everyone on the Internet everything. Like, “Look, I am hiking! Look, I just put up my tent! Look, I am eating dinner!” Nope, that’s totally not the reason, you guys.
7. Someone commented last week that I hadn’t talked about what I was currently watching on the old Internet television. Awww, it’s so sweet of you to notice! I hope you didn’t think I was sick.
The truth is I haven’t been super obsessed over anything at the moment. I’ve been watching a few murder-mystery dramas — but the kind that only have one death per episode and are set in some far-away place or time so I don’t feel like, GAH, THAT COULD TOTALLY HAPPEN TO ME. SOMEONE’S TOTALLY GOING TO MURDER ME! I HAD BETTER TURN ON ALL MY LIGHTS AND NEVER SLEEP AGAIN.
My two top faves at the moment: Death in Paradise (super cheesy, but the tropical location makes me not hate my 90-degree apartment so much) and Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries (totally makes me want to wear hats and feather boas and flapper dresses all while solving murder mysteries, of course).
8. Speaking of stuff I’m looking forward to watching, I really want to go see Florence Foster Jenkins. Because Meryl Streep. Have you seen it yet? Is it everything?
Also, my imaginary boyfriends, Ira Glass and Mike Birbiglia, made a movie. I doubt it will ever come to Kalamazoo, but a girl can dream, can’t she?
9. In case you’ve wanted to reach through the Internet and strangle more than a few people this election year, I found this to be helpful: 11 Tips to Stay Sane Around People Who are “Wrong” about Politics.
10. And in case that doesn’t help, let’s just all move to this cat sanctuary in Hawaii. I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to want to strangle anyone when surrounded by that many fluffy, cute cats. Even if the fluffy cute cats are judging you. (Which we all know they are. They are cats, after all.)
Okay, friends, share what you’ve been doing/watching/obsessing over this week. I’m always looking for suggestions.