Random Stuff List

July 31, 2016

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Well, howdy ho, friends.

Welcome to my Random Stuff List in which I write about the random goings-ons and linky-loos that make up my week. And you guys are all polite about it and pretend that this is actually a real blog post.

1. This week started off with an unexpected visit from my friend, Beth, who I worked with in China. She is currently moving from Texas to the East Coast, so she decided to stop in Michigan on her way. (BTW, you guys, I’m pretty sure Michigan is on the way to EVERYWHERE. So you should probably stop here on your next road trip. Just saying.)

We started things off with a Bachelorette viewing party because that is how we do.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

George was not impressed with Robby. But really who is?

And then we spent Wednesday afternoon on the beach at South Haven.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

South Haven

It was my first time at the beach this summer, and I was like WHY AM I JUST DOING THIS NOW? It’s only about forty-five minutes from my house and if I go on a weekday after work it’s not so full of people that it makes me want to kill myself.

2. I also got to test out my selfie stick again. I’d like to think I’m getting better at selfie-sticking. But I’d say a small percentage of my photos look like this:

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

While all the rest look like this:

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Also, I heard someone making fun of me and my selfie-stick, and I’d just like to tell that person I CAN HEAR YOU. Also RUDE. Also YOU ARE JUST JEALOUS AND YOU KNOW IT.

3. In other exciting news of my life, I have new glasses and I LURRVE them!

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Yep, I’m rocking the cateye look. You guys, I just need to buy some tweed skirts and some cardigans with elbow patches and I’ll have the nerdy librarian look DOWN.

4. Okay, so everybody on the Facebook has been talking about Stranger Things on Netflix and I TRIED to watch it. In fact, I watched two whole episodes before I freaked out, turned on all the lights in my house and vowed to never go to sleep again for fear of slimy alien abduction.

I’m going to have to add that show to my list of Shows I Wish I Could Watch But I Like Sleep Too Much So Can Someone Just Watch It For Me and Tell Me How It Ends?

Other shows on that list include: Marcella (OMIGOD, you guys, SO GOOD. But also made me suspect everyone of being a serial killer), Dexter (I didn’t even TRY to watch that), and The Walking Dead (seriously didn’t sleep for two days after watching one episode because THE ZOMBIES WILL EAT MY BRAIIINNSSS.)

5. I am proud to report that I spent pretty much all of yesterday in bed reading. And this is why I can never have children or any pets more demanding than my cat because at least once a month I need an entire day where I’m not required to get out of bed.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

I’m currently reading Prep by Curtis Sittenfield, which I had high hopes for because I loved Sittenfield’s Eligiblea modern take on Pride and Prejudice.

But, you guys: Meh.

It doesn’t have much of a plot. And while I think the characters are well-written, I don’t particularly like any of them. It reminds me a lot of The Interestings, which everyone seemed to love and I was like, “And, tell me why I’m supposed to care that much about these snobby white kids?”

But I’m proud of myself for actually getting through it because I’ve been starting and stopping so many books this summer. I just want one big epic book that I can dive into, but I have yet to find it this summer.

6. I STILL have zucchini hanging out in my fridge that needs to be used up if it hasn’t died already. (I’m kind of scared to look.) I’m thinking this zucchini pie recipe needs to happen today.

And, I know it’s not even August yet and PLEASE DON’T HATE ME, but I’ve already started dreaming of pumpkin foods. Like, this pumpkin pecan cobbler. GAH!

7. I loved this sweet essay by a food writer to his parents, who have become unlikely Youtube stars.

8. Umm, so the Smithsonian is looking to hire someone to drink beer. You know, for RESEARCH PURPOSES.

You guys, it’s like I’ve been training MY ENTIRE LIFE for that job.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Training for my new job.

9. In case you’re wondering, you can now buy gigantic wearable felt cat heads. Because who doesn’t need that?

10. Speaking of cats, a Camping with Cats Instagram account exists and it’s really making me want to take my cat camping even though I’m pretty sure she’d try to kill me.

What random stuff is happening in your life right now, friends? Tell me all about it.

Disclosure: Some of the above links are Amazon affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission for purchases made at no extra cost to you. Which means I’ll just buy more books I either won’t read or will just whine about.

1. On July 31, 2016 at 2:52 pm zoe said:

omgggg that food writer’s essay. Normally I kinda roll my eyes at food-related writing that’s not an actual recipe (like, I don’t care about how you learned how to make clafoutis from your landlady when you lived in Paris for 6 months as a student, yawn) but I just read it and now I’m all :’)

ps: awesome glasses!
    zoe recently posted..Postcard from Conca del Pra: enjoying the foothills of the Alps

• On August 8, 2016 at 8:42 am Sally said:

Ha ha. I’m the complete opposite. I will ALWAYS read the story about how you learned how to make food from your landlady… but then when I get to the recipe, I’m like “meh.” 🙂

2. On July 31, 2016 at 3:55 pm Angela said:

I look forward to your random stuff every week, always funny and interesting. Your glasses are fab by the way!

3. On July 31, 2016 at 4:03 pm Jessie said:

Oh I love that food writer’s article. YES. And any time you want to go to SH, let’s roll!
    Jessie recently posted..Visiting Stratford, Ontario? The first thing you need to do…

4. On August 1, 2016 at 8:20 am Laura said:

Hi Sally,
    I love all of your cat updates. We need more Instagram cat accounts to counteract all of the darkness in the world. Yay for cats camping!

5. On August 1, 2016 at 11:23 am Sandra L. said:

Finished watching Season 2 of “Broadchurch” and was impressed. Looking forward to Season 3!

I’m on a “Brideshead Revisited” kick. I’m watching the 1981 series for the third time (I think) and will reread the book when I’m done watching.

Also, I’m reading “Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead.” I can’t wait to reread “BR.” I haven’t been this excited about analyzing a work of literature in many years.

And Jeremy Irons is hot! So is Anthony Andrews.

• On August 8, 2016 at 8:39 am Sally said:

I’ve never watched or read Brideshead. I should probably get on that so I can prove that I’m not such a crappy former English major after all.

6. On August 1, 2016 at 8:07 pm Michelle said:

There is a cool tour for you to drool over! Beer & bacon!! Don’t be hesitant to watch Dexter on Netflix as Dexter only kills the really bad people of society. You will get addicted pretty quickly tho. My favorite season is the one with John Lithgow in it. Oh and if you only have one day a month dedicated to staying in bed all day, you need to step it up! I say once a week of reading, Netflix and kitty rubs would be perfect!!

• On August 8, 2016 at 8:37 am Sally said:

But is it bloody? I can’t do bloody either. Hence, the reason why you will not see me watching medical dramas. I really am something of a ninny. 🙂
      Also, beer and bacon? SIGN ME UP!

• On August 8, 2016 at 7:35 pm Michelle said:

Uhhhh…yeah, there’s a “little” blood…lol, but if it helps you can tell it’s fake blood as it’s just too light in color and a little too runny to look like real blood but I’m a nurse and I critique those shows and esp medical shows a little too closely. Nurse Jackie is really good too but it’s a bit more realistic. If you haven’t watched Downton Abbey, that should be your next series!! I loved it!! And no blood😊

• On August 14, 2016 at 11:11 am Sally said:

Have I watched Downton Abbey??? IT’S LIKE YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW ME! I’ve been going through Downton Abbey withdrawal ever since it finished. 🙁

7. On August 4, 2016 at 3:44 pm Tiffany said:

The shadow in your fourth picture looks like Mary Poppins! (Are you not telling us something?) ((You’re a magical woman that flies to exotic places and teaches people important things)) You’re Mary Poppins!

8. On August 6, 2016 at 11:49 pm Michelle said:

My next post is going to be full of randomness because I’ve been so slack and not been updating everyone (by everyone I mean my mum and sister) of all the happenings in our household for the past few MONTHS.
    I am also planning on checking out Stranger Things; I always used to love paranormal stuff but I have gotten to be a bit more of a scaredy cat since having kids, for some reason. I even get motion sickness now! On a SWING. When I used to be able to ride ten rollercoasters in a row and be totes fine.
    Michelle recently posted..Mosey’s Berfdy Bonus Brag Book!

9. On August 7, 2016 at 8:03 pm Danni said:

Long time reader; first time commenter! I just had to say that I feel EXACTLY the same way about scary shows like walking dead and stranger things! And The Interestings – meh! Have you read The History of Love by Nicole Krauss? It’s one of my favorite summer reads so far.
    Thanks for always keeping me entertained!

• On August 8, 2016 at 8:32 am Sally said:

Danni, thanks so much for commenting! And thanks so much for the book suggestion! I definitely need recs for good, engrossing reads. I keep on downloading books, reading a few pages and being like, “Meh. No.”