Random Stuff List

July 10, 2016

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Hi friends,

Gosh, it’s been a tough week. Particularly here in the States.  And it’s not like the weeks before this week have been particularly easy either. It’s weeks like this that I find it really hard to write up a silly list of the all the stuff I’m eating and reading and watching. But maybe it’s weeks like this that we need silly lists? Not to help us ignore the tough stuff that’s going on, but to remind us that there is light and goodness and delicious food and nice books and happiness and Netflix. I dunno.

So, in case you need it today, this is my silly list for this week.

1. If you’ve been following along on my Facebook or Instagram, you know that last weekend I went on my first ever solo backpacking trip — a 12-mile hike in a state park near Ann Arbor with a rustic campsite at the halfway point.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

While I am happy to report that I survived and I am not typing this post from beyond the grave, I’ll be honest: that shizz was HARD. I need to do a lot more training before the three-day backpacking trip that I have planned for August. And by “training,” I don’t just mean going to the gym every day the week before my trip and jacking up the incline on the treadmill. (Which is basically the extent of my training prior to this last trip.)

2. I got this super sweet letter from a student celebrating Eid this week.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

I’ve been a bit bummed that I’m working all summer this year — even though it was totally my choice for practical and financial reasons. But the truth is I am not a practical and financial person — I am a I WANT ALL THE VACATION TIME AND I WANT IT NOW person.

But this letter kind of made up for the fact that I’m working all summer. Because you can’t really beat a job that involves being regularly bestowed with candy and sweet letters.

Also, in total, I have about two months vacation time — what with winter break and spring break and all the semester breaks — even if I don’t take summer off, so I should probably stop complaining.

(Mind you, I will still not stop complaining.)

3. I listened to the Father’s Day episode of the Moth Story Hour while walking in my local park yesterday and I basically laughed and cried the entire time. Which is a really fun thing to do in public.

4. Speaking of things I listened to that made me laugh and cry out loud while in public, I listened to this episode of This American Life on how America is rethinking fat while at the gym this week. In addition to making me laugh and cry, it made me want to shout “Hell Yes!” about a billion times. Which made me happy I work out at the student gym on campus where everyone already thinks I’m the crazy old lady.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Don’t mind me. I’m just the crazy old lady crying and laughing at the gym.

I’ve struggled with my weight and body image for about as long as I can remember. There was even a year of my life where I literally ate nothing but rice cakes and sugar-free gum. Do you know what a rice-cake-and-sugar-free-gum life is like? It is not a life, okay.

So I’ve been happy to see the way we think about and talk about weight and our bodies start to change.

5. Speaking of body stuff, I love this idea of a magazine with “weight-neutral” health advice for women.

Because, yes, I work out and eat kale but it’s not necessarily because I’m trying to lose weight. It’s because I like to work out and eat kale, okay?

6. I love this list of self-dates (or “rotic dates” as my friend calls them — i.e. a romantic date minus the man).

My favorite self-date is going to the movie cinema and watching a cheesy movie and eating ALL THE POPCORN.

The self-date I want to try: going to a concert. I’m usually not self-conscious about doing stuff on my own, but for some reason going to a concert by myself just seems, well, weird. Have you ever been to a concert on your own?

7. This review of the new Tarzan movie is EVERYTHING.

8. You guys, I really need some hot-weather dinner suggestions. I make these easy peanut noodles (with baked tofu and tons of veggies) about once a week. But, other than that, I’m stuck. For dinner one day this week, I literally ate a microwaved sausage while standing over my sink. Uggh. I need help.

9. Okay, so I finished season 2 of Broadchurch, and for all of those who yelled at me for saying David Tennant wasn’t swoon-worthy, I’m sorry. I will admit that I was kind of falling for him in the end, despite his excessive neck-beard.

Then, I tried out Top of the Lake, which is like Australian’s version of Broadchurch, but, here’s the thing, I had trouble understanding it. Everyone speaks really quietly AND they’re all speaking in Australian, so I found myself having to use subtitles just to follow along. And, frankly, I don’t like to read my TV. (I know. I’m the worst. I really am.)

So what else should I be watching?

10. You guys, wine gummy bears exist. Honestly, why has it taken the world so long to invent this?

Okay, friends, that’s it. Send your summer dinner and binge-worthy TV show suggestions my way. Also, let’s all hope for a better week, okay?

1. On July 10, 2016 at 12:58 pm Carolyn said:

No problem going to a concert alone! Especially if there are reserved seats. Often there will be good single seats available close to the stage. Nobody cares that you are by yourself. When everyone is seated, it isn’t even obvious.

• On July 10, 2016 at 6:07 pm Sally said:

Good point! I guess I’m not a huge concert person to begin with, so that’s why I always think I’ll feel awkward. But I should figure out a concert I really want to go to and go!

2. On July 10, 2016 at 1:38 pm Isabelle said:

I go to concerts alone all the time. Don’t worry, just go! Nobody cares if you’re by yourself and you often get a good seat, there is always one leftover seat really close to the stage!

LOVED the Tarzan article! ha!

3. On July 10, 2016 at 1:47 pm kathi g said:

can’t remember if I already recommended this to you, but Dr. Thorne on Amazon Prime is just delicious. 4 too short episodes, but I think you’ll love them as much as I did.

• On July 10, 2016 at 6:06 pm Sally said:

I did watch that & loved it! Especially the little “Masterpiece Theatre” bit with Julien Fellows at the beginning and ending of each episode!

4. On July 10, 2016 at 3:35 pm Lana said:

Eek, Top of the Lake is based in New Zealand, and they really don’t love it when you confuse the two. But I agree about not understanding what they’re saying. I also just finished Marcella, a new show on Netflix and it should be on your list if you like Broadchurch. Similar in the fact that I had no idea who done it, and couldn’t trust anyone. It was so so good!

• On July 10, 2016 at 6:05 pm Sally said:

Whoops! See, that’s how much I couldn’t understand it — I didn’t even know what country it was in! Thanks for the correction & the suggestion!

5. On July 10, 2016 at 8:24 pm Priya said:

I’m so glad I’ve done a lot of the things on the “self-date” list already! And I’m glad you survived your backpacking trip!
    Priya recently posted..That Time I Went On A Date

6. On July 10, 2016 at 9:51 pm Stephanie said:

I used to go to concerts by myself all the time. I really enjoy live music, and most of my friends were not interested in the same bands. It has always seemed like a perfectly normal solo activity… I mean, you’re not supposed to talk to your friends through an entire concert (although there are a large number of people who seem to think that is acceptable).
    Stephanie recently posted..Happy Pride!

7. On July 11, 2016 at 6:09 am Mel said:

Going to take myself to a day spa next Monday for the first time…
    I love Cold Soba Noodles in summer

8. On July 11, 2016 at 12:44 pm Sandra L. said:

Oh dear, did I yell at you re: David Tennant. I guess I did. Sorry! I get a little fan girly sometimes.
    I still haven’t watched Season 2 of “Broadchurch” and I think I had better get around to it before I forget who all the characters are.
    I have just gotten a Blu-Ray of the 1981 “Brideshead Revisited” and am so excited.
    Not being in any kind of condition did NOT help with my London trip. Not sure what to do, as work hours pretty much prevent joining a gym. I guess I could just walk more outside…

9. On July 12, 2016 at 6:28 pm Sienna said:

I totally hear you about having to work all summer-doesn’t adulting suck sometimes?! But congrats on your first solo backpacking!

10. On July 13, 2016 at 3:02 pm Jen said:

I go to concerts alone all the time. I actually do a lot of events alone – don’t ever wait for someone to go with you – you’ll miss out on so much. I always meet new people at shows – sometimes it’s easier to talk to strangers when you’re by yourself.

Also… re: wine gummies (since the rose ones are sold out)… try these.. https://nuts.com/chocolatessweets/gummies/gummy-bears/champagne-gummy-bears.html

• On July 13, 2016 at 8:54 pm Sally said:

Trust me, you’re preaching to the choir! I’m all about not waiting around to find someone to do stuff — if you want to do it, just go do it! I guess the reason why I’ve never done a concert by myself is because I’m not much of a concert person to begin with — at least not a big concert person. I hate crowds and get really claustrophic. I still have memories of being almost crushed to death by very angry alt folk girls at a Ani Difranco concert in college. Maybe I should start with something smaller with less chance of body-crushing… like a classical music concert.

• On July 13, 2016 at 9:14 pm Jen said:

I should clarify – I don’t go to concerts anymore where I have to stand. I’ve done the crushed in the crowd thing – and while I never had an issue with it (I find it oddly comforting), now I’m older – I want a chair so I can chill and enjoy it. I was at an album release show – upgraded to a VIP ticket and when we got to the club most of us (all in our 40s) felt that way. One of the group actually said that to the promoters “We’re old. We want chairs.” HA! They were cool enough to make that happen. 🙂