Well, hello there, friends. I hope your Sunday is treating you especially well. Mine has been full of blueberry pancakes and bacon. So, yes, I am off to a good start.
Let’s talk random stuff, shall we?
1. Last weekend I car-camped at a nearby state park, and did a little “test-drive” of my new backpack in preparation for my first ever solo backpacking trip next weekend.
I’m proud to report that despite never having ever hiked with a big old bag of junk on my back, I survived! Granted I will have to go about three times as far next weekend, and carry about twice as much junk on my back.
But what’s the worst that could happen?
Don’t answer that.
Please just don’t answer that.
2. Also in preparation for my big backpacking trip, I’ve been stocking up on backpacking gear and other stuff that I apparently need or I will die.
I now own a compass I don’t know how to use. And a mini-camp-stove I’m a little bit scared to use. And this:
It’s possible I bought it solely for the amount of puns on the box.
3. I’ve been binge-watching British detective dramas this month. First, it was Grantchester, which made me want to move to the British countryside and befriend a hottie red-headed vicar with a dark past. (Seriously, if you haven’t spent a significant portion of your day Googling pictures of James Norton and swooning over him and all his adorable, red-headedness, then you need to. NOW.)
Then, this past week I’ve gotten super into Broadchurch, which doesn’t have a single swoon-worthy actor in it. (I’m sorry David Tennant fans, but he has way too much neck-beard going on for me.) But it still makes me want to move to a seaside British town, solve crimes and eat a lot of fish and chips.
4. What are you reading right now? I’m still in the super-horrible habit of skipping my usual pre-bedtime book-reading for skimming ALL THE FACEBOOK on my phone. But I did manage to finish Kitchens of the Great Midwest, which will make you feel the need to grow heirloom tomatoes and stock up on a lot of butter.
I also just downloaded This Is Not My Beautiful Life, a memoir about a thirty-six year-old, pregnant woman, who’s living at home with her parents when they get arrested and sent to prison. Because if that doesn’t make me feel better about my life, I don’t really know what will.
Speaking of memoirs, I CANNOT EVEN WAIT for Amy Schumer’s upcoming memoir: The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo. I even pre-ordered it because that’s how completely obsessed I am.
5. What are you cooking these days? I have not exactly been in the mood to make my kitchen any hotter than it already is by turning on any cooking appliances, so I’ve been subsisting on crackers and microwaved sausages. But these Greek quesadillas and cauliflower tacos make me actually want to use my stove.
Speaking of cauliflower, I know I made fun of cauliflower pizza crust a few weeks ago and made some people super angry in the process. (Sorry, some people! I honestly had no idea cauliflower crust was such a touchy subject!) But, uh, I may be eating my words… or at least some cauliflower crust because this video makes it look so easy and SO GOOD.
6. Can we talk about how there are absolutely no good movies in the theaters right now? And by “good” I mean “really, really cheesy.” My apartment is over eighty degrees and all I want to do is go to the cinema, sit in the air conditioning and eat popcorn for dinner, but there’s literally nothing I want to watch right now.
I’ve come THIS CLOSE to watching that Blake Lively movie about the shark, but then I remembered there is a possibility I may actually want to visit a beach again in my life, and, that’s going to be hard to do when all I can imagine is a bloody Blake Lively bobbing in shark-infested waters.
7. Why, yes, I do want to know what’s in David Sedaris’ suitcase.
Also, I really need to buy these stop talking cards to hand out to EVERYONE WHO’S TALKING TOO MUCH EVER. Which is basically everyone except for me. Of course.
8. Two of my blogger-friends, Katie Aune and Matt Long, recently posted about their experiences of volunteering with pandas. (Matt even got to hug a panda because, apparently, he is some god-like human.)
Can we talk about how ridiculously upset I am that I missed out on volunteering with pandas when I was in Chengdu? I just went to the Chengdu Research Base which was AMAZING and full of adorable pandas, but I was just a visitor and did not personally get to save or help or hug any pandas during my visit.
9. I’m soon coming up on my three-year anniversary at my current job. Three years is pretty much the maximum amount of time I’ve spent at any job, and while I really like my job, I have to admit my feet are getting a bit itchy.
This article on why it’s a good idea to totally start over and do something you totally suck at is kind of making me want to quit my job and go work in a wine bar. Or get a job as a pastry chef. Even though I know nothing about wine or pastries — other than how to consume them. But it might be good for me, right?
10. There’s now catnip wine for cats. (Called Pinot Meow and MosCATo, of course.)
And there’s beer for dogs.
What a wonderful time to be alive, people.
How’s your week been, friends? What are you watching/reading/eating/drinking? Tell me all about it!
Disclosure: Some of the above links are affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission for purchases made at no extra cost to you. Which means more wine for me and my cat! Yay!