Random Stuff List

May 22, 2016

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Oh, geez, it’s Sunday, isn’t it?

How about we start this week off right. And by “right” I mean with “random stuff that entertained me on the Internet.” I hope that’s your definition of right, too.

1. It was my two-year George-iversary this week! Yep, two years ago, I was walking home from work when I found the tiniest, dirtiest, yowliest little furball hanging out by the railroad tracks. With the help of three college kids, a tin of sardines and a shoebox, I captured her. And then she promptly captured my heart.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

The first time I saw George. This photo makes my heart ache SO MUCH.

And, while she’s still insanely yowly (and, admittedly, way too bitey for my liking), I have to admit my life is better for having her in it. If only so I have a reason to get out of bed each morning. (Namely, she’s yowling at me because she’s STARVING TO DEATH AND WHY WON’T HER LAZY HUMAN GET OUT OF BED AND FEEEED HER ALREADY?!)

2. In honor of the occasion, let’s just start things off with a big round-up of cat links BECAUSE CATS. This guy took his cat to prom. This couple had 1,000 cats at their wedding. And this guy quit his job to go camping with his cat. And now I have a whole new list of life goals.

3. One cat-related thing I can’t quite get behind: this cat brush that allows you to lick your cat.That’s going a bit too far. Even for me. (And I say this as someone who has spent the better part of the past week looking at baby pictures of my cat and feeling like she was, in fact, my baby.)

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Seriously, you guys, will you look at THAT FACE.

4. What are you reading right now?

I usually read right before I go to bed each night, but, lately, I’ve replaced this with staring at the Facebook on my phone, which is super bad, I know, and I need to stop it right now.

But I just haven’t been feeling any of the books, you know?

The last book I read was Elizabeth Is Missing, which was REALLY good but also super sad and particularly tough for me as it’s told from the perspective of someone suffering from dementia and I’ve watched many of my older family members go through the same thing. So I think I just need something light and fun and beachy and summery.

So what do you suggest?

5. Also, what are you watching on the TV-tube?

I’m slowly getting over my obsession with CatfishThat show makes me so sad for the young women of America — specifically the young women who feel like they need to pretend to be someone else in order to get love. But, at the same time, I love me some Nev and Max. I mean, they just seem like such good guys. Also, is it normal to feel a bit bummed that you’ve never had anyone try to catfish you? I mean, what’s the deal, people? I feel catfish-able.

Also, I’m actively seeking something period-piece-ish and Britishy to replace the hole that still remains in my heart after the end of Downton AbbeyI’ve binge-watched Poldark already. What should I be moving on to?

6. An interesting post that asks why it’s still acceptable to be racist against Asians.

7. I’m going to admit something here and I hope you don’t hate me for it. But, I don’t like smoothies. I know. I KNOW. I AM A MONSTER. It’s just that they are SO COLD. Plus, what are they? A drink? A snack? A meal? I just can’t get behind a food that is so indecisive about its identity. So that’s why I was all about this article on why smoothies might be for chumps.

(I’m sorry if you like smoothies. I promise I’m not calling you a chump. Or am I? Either way, you’ll probably never talk to me again.)

8. And, while I’m admitting to being a MONSTER who hates food everyone else loves, I also really don’t like popsicles. They’re just SO COLD. (Admittedly, almost all the food I don’t like is super cold. I blame my stupid dumb sensitive teeth.) Also, I can never eat them fast enough so they’re not dripping all over me. And what’s the deal with people who bite into their popsicles? What kind of monster-people are they?

But I think I might be able to get behind these chocolate peanut butter pops. BECAUSE CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER YOU GUYS.

9. Speaking of not liking certain foods, this post on being a picky eater in China might be helpful for all you picky eaters out there who fear visiting China. I am pretty much the opposite of a picky eater. Other than my weird aversion to super cold food, I will pretty much eat ALL THE THINGS. But even I found the idea of eating in China daunting before I moved there and discovered that Chinese food is a whole lot more than egg rolls and sweet and sour pork. (Also, do egg rolls even exist in China? I don’t remember ever eating one there.)

10. By now I hope you’ve seen this video of this lady in a Chewbacca mask. Because it is pure joy.

1. On May 22, 2016 at 1:18 pm Janice said:

Have you met Miss. Fisher’s Murder Mysteries yet? She’s good in a post-Downton world. =)

2. On May 22, 2016 at 1:26 pm kathi g said:

first, totally agree with Janice about Miss Fisher. I think you’ll really like it! As for books, three books I have read recently and loved very much, all different and all a lot of fun:
    The Nest, by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney
    The Improbability of Love, by Hannah Rothschild
    Girl Waits with Gun, by Amy Stewart

3. On May 22, 2016 at 1:40 pm zoe said:

Happy George-iversary!

I’ll be looking with interest at what books people recommend you, because I am currently bogged down reading a very good but even more very depressing novel about Estonia during the Nazi and Soviet occupations (“When the doves disappeared” by Sofi Oksanen, if you’re wondering what title to avoid).
    zoe recently posted..Every easy pasta recipe I know, for future reference (part 1)

4. On May 22, 2016 at 5:18 pm Sarah said:

Read something by Jasper Fforde! The Eyre Affair was his first book (and the first of the Thursday Next books, his largest series) and is fantastic. I liked The Dragonslayer series and his Shades of Grey book as well, although I wasn’t a big fan of his Nursery Crime series (But if you want mystery books that are ridiculous instead of creepy, they’d fit the bill).

5. On May 22, 2016 at 6:05 pm Candace said:

I love all things by Kate Atkinson. Try Behind the Scenes at the Museum or Life After Life. Tracy Chevalier is also great. I’m Reading her new one, At the Edge of the Orchard. I learned a lot and loved loved loved Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi and her new one is good, too. My favorite book from the last year is In the Language of Miracles by rajia Hassan. My instagram has a bunch of others…I could go on….

6. On May 23, 2016 at 9:48 am Rose said:

Oooh! I am totally in a “read Facebook obsessively instead of a good book” moment too! I hate it! I am going to steal something off the recommendations people send you. Um.. I like smoothies. I drink one every morning for breakfast because I am not hungry when I get up first thing but I am STARVING by the time I drive to work, so I make a smoothie and drink it in the car. Since I have to drive 25 minutes to work, it’s perfect. Plus, my smoothies are not super cold because I use fresh fruit and not frozen. They’re kind of like thick juice. Yum!

• On May 23, 2016 at 3:26 pm Sally said:

Okay, so the other reasons why I don’t really like smoothies (besides the SUPER COLD thing):
      1. I’m ALWAYS hungry in the morning. This whole “I’m not hungry when I first get up”? Yeah, I don’t have that problem.
      2. I have to drink coffee every morning. That’s pretty much non-negotiable. So do you drink coffee AND a smoothie. That seems like way too much liquid. I already have to pee all the time. That would be a disaster for me.

7. On May 24, 2016 at 12:00 am krishnakumarpradhan said:

I wrote about you to our local broadcasting centre whose email addtess is http://fmrainbow@rediffmail.com but as any otherGovt. departments they did not respond

8. On May 24, 2016 at 12:26 pm Paula said:

OMG! The Chewbacca Lady! I hadn’t seen it! I laughed so hard I’m crying! That was amazing!
    Paula recently posted..Four Tips for your KonMari Journey

9. On May 29, 2016 at 9:55 am choi kum fook said:

George looks pretty and tame.How do you take care of “her” in apartment when you are in working or hanging out? I mean you lock her in apartment or bring along.

• On June 4, 2016 at 11:30 am Sally said:

She is not much of a traveler. She tends to associate my car with trips to the vet, which she does NOT like. So she stays at home and occupies herself by watching the scary birds outside of the window.