Howdy ho, friends!
How has your week been? Mine’s been pretty quiet. I went back to work (boo!), I battled the tail-end of a cold (boo!), and worked on my French toast game (yay!).
Let’s talk Internet links, my current TV addictions and other funsies, shall we?
1. This post made me scream, “YASSS!” about a billion times while I read it: Quitting Your Job To Travel Isn’t Brave. It’s Lucky.
As someone who has quit her job to bum around Southeast Asia for a year, I can verify that the decision to live out of my backpack and eat food on a stick for a year was not made possible because I am particularly brave (see title of my blog for proof).
It was possible because I was and am super lucky. I was relatively debt-free and had substantial savings thanks to a lucrative teaching job in Japan. I didn’t have family that relied on me at home for my paycheck or to take care of them. I am also a native English speaker and have a degree in education — which meant I knew I could pick up a job teaching English anywhere I went if I needed to. Additionally, I’m healthy and able-bodied and white and don’t have to deal with medical concerns or a disability or discrimination that might make it impossible (or, at the very least, really, really difficult) to travel.
So, yeah, I’m not brave. Just lucky. And privileged. And really into food on a stick.
2. Speaking of quitting my job and bumming around Southeast Asia for a year, it’s a teensy bit possible that trip was inspired in part by Elizabeth Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love. Although, admittedly, if I was going to title my year in Southeast Asia it would be more like Eat, Eat, Eat (And Then Eat Some More).
And, apparently, I’m not alone because now there’s a whole book of true stories inspired by the book called Eat, Pray, Love Made Me Do It. I’m a bit bummed nobody called me to ask me for my story.
3. Hey, did you know it’s Hike Like a Girl Weekend? Unfortunately, it’s windy and cold here in Michigan and I woke up to snow this morning (yes, SNOW!), so I won’t be hiking like a girl or really anybody today. I’ll probably just be sitting like an oversized throw pillow on my couch.
But I am vowing to take more hikes this summer after reading this article on the outdoor gender gap and reasons why more women should hike solo.
4. My hometown of Buffalo, NY was voted America’s Favorite City. Above places like Honolulu and San Francisco.
I imagine it has something to do with the wings.
5. A good reminder that everyone deserves love — even if you hate your body. And, yes, that includes self-love.
My favorite part:
“…learn to treat cruel thoughts about yourself like text messages from someone annoying and rude: You don’t owe them a response. You can just ignore them.”
6. Worried about the state of U.S. in light of the upcoming presidential election? Considering moving to Canada but wish you had a Canadian romantic partner to make the Great White North a little warmer? Maple Match has got you covered.
7. Can we get a similar dating service to match up the fine men of Cornwall and the ladies of America (namely ME)? Because I recently binge-watched the first season of PBS’s Poldark, about the dark and dreamy Ross Poldark who returns to Cornwall after fighting in the American Revolution to find his land in ruins and the love of his life betrothed to another. Of course, he deals with his new life in the only way he knows how: by doing lots of hard labor with his shirt off.
8. Reese’s are making peanut butter cups filled with Reese’s Pieces and OMIGOD GIMME NOW.
9. I’ve been thinking about growing fresh herbs for like forever, so I can be that person who’s just like, “Oh, look, I’m just going to add some basil I grew all by my freaking self to this pizza/pasta/salad/whatever. NBD”
Here are some helpful tips on how to do it.
Although I’m going to need a growing situation that is indoors and high up enough off the ground that my cat won’t destroy them because she’s basically a weapon of mass destruction. (I’m thinking something like this. Suggestions?)
10. A little Monday morning inspiration: What We Can Do Better This Week.
I’m going to need this tomorrow like WOAH.
And that’s another Random Stuff List for this week. How was your week? Tell me all about it! What did you eat/binge-watch/read on the Internets this week?