Happy Sunday, y’all. It’s cold and rainy here, and I’m thinking it’s a good day to have cinema popcorn for dinner and watch Keanu. (It’s a gangster movie about a kitten! What’s not to love??)
But before that happens, how about some random stuff?
1. This week, I went to one of my fave places in the area, Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, to check out the cherry blossoms and butterflies and test out the selfie stick I got last year from Solo Stick.
I’ll admit that I’m not quite a natural at selfie-sticking. I ended up with a lot of shots of myself looking extremely confused and with about twenty more chins than I thought I had. But I did get a few nice ones. Like this one which I think is very Glamour Shots-ish, thanks to the wind tousling my hairs.
2. I topped off my trip with a stop by the new Vander Mill cidery in Grand Rapids.
The whole place smelled like cinnamon and heaven, and I ordered something called the Ham + Doughnuts plate BECAUSE THAT IS A THING THAT EXISTS.
And, OMG, you guys, OMG. From now on out, I would now like all my doughnuts served on a bed of ham and cheese and apple butter, pleaseandthankyouverymuch.
3. This post about why you should travel alone was the best because this:
“Traveling alone doesn’t make you better or smarter — let’s not romanticize it — it just forces you to pull your head out of your own ass.”
4. Have you heard about Meternity? An author recently posted an article on NY Post promoting her book by the same name and stating that childless women should all get maternity leave without actually having to have a baby. (Get it? ME-ternity). And then the Internet basically exploded.
As someone who used to regularly fantasize about getting hit by a car — not hard enough to kill me or anything, but just enough so I could get out of my office job for a few weeks — I totally get this. But I also get the reason why people are freaking out that she compared maternity leave with taking time off for yourself because, seriously, those are not the same things.
But can’t we all agree that ALL people — parent-people, childless-people, crazy-cat-lady people — need more vacation time and a bit more work-life balance?
And maybe a bit less freaking out on the Internet, too, because WHOA.
5. On a related note: I Would Rather Travel the World Than EVER Have Kids.
While I am pretty much of the same mindset as the author, I do think it’s sad that these two things are seen as mutually exclusive in our society. And I’d like to give a huge shout-out to all my friends who manage to travel with kids. I don’t know how you do it because I seriously have trouble traveling and keeping track of my own luggage. And my luggage isn’t capable of running off while I’m flipping through the People magazine at the Hudson News in the airport.
6. I made these peanut butter banana muffins with dark chocolate chips earlier this week to take into work and then I was kind of sad I shared them because they were SO GOOD. Plus, they have the word “skinny” in their name, so they’re basically diet food.
7. If you’re an English teacher or an English learner or you just really like adorable things, I suggest checking out The English Student website. It’s pretty much the cutest ever.
8. How crazy cat lady are these pet photo pajamas?
I’m pretty sure I need to make a pair. Or five.
9. On a related note: a collar that translates a cat’s meows into human speech.
Please tell me this is not a joke.
10. And because we all need a little hunky, bare-chested eye-candy now and then: 22 photos of men in kilts.
BRB. Moving to Scotland.
How was your week? What amazing things did you do/make/eat? Tell me all about them!