Oh, hello there, friends, how are you?
Let’s start this week off right with some random stuff, shall we?
1. I finished my spring semester of classes this week, and I have a teensy-weensy little break before my summer classes start up, which means I’ve made approximately fifty-jillion to-do lists of all the things I plan on doing during that break. I expect I will manage to do exactly two of those things, but, whatever, gotta keep the hope alive, people.
The first thing on my list: go on a camping trip with my brand new, super-duper lightweight tent.
I’d like to try my hand at backpack camping rather than my usual car camping, where I just show up to my campsite with a car full of ALL THE THINGS and then dump them all out. The only problem is that all my current camping gear is way too big and bulky to backpack with, so I’d need all new gear. Oh yeah, and I’d kind of need a backpack.
And, in case you’ve never shopped for teeny-tiny backpacking gear, that stuff is crazy expensive. Yesterday, I was looking at a portable camp stove and the thing cost $90. Ninety freaking dollars for something that is roughly the size of a hamster! And the sleeping bag that compresses into a teeny-tiny hamster-sized ball? It was three times as much!
So, basically, I either need to to start selling my internal organs to fund this new hobby of mine or sleep in an old sheet and survive on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Have you ever been backpack camping? What do I absolutely need so I don’t die?
2. Speaking of to-do lists, I’ve been trying my hand at bullet journaling this week. As you might have noticed I’m a huge fan of making lists — from to-do lists to to-write lists to OMIGOD I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE lists.
But I’m not so systematic about where I write those lists. So when I need to find a list, I end up having to search through the five different notebooks I keep on hand along with my computer, my cell phone and the half a dozen post-it note pads in my kitchen. I thought bullet journaling might help me to keep everything in one place, but it’s kind of a little complicated for me. I can’t remember what all the different symbols mean. Plus, there’s the whole business of having a future log and a monthly log? WHAAA? Who plans that far ahead?
Do you bullet journal? Do you have any tips on how to make it easy for a list-loving scatterbrain like myself? Also, I should probably go buy a whole bunch of new colored pens, right? RIGHT???
3. You guys, I think I’m maybe finally figuring out the Pinterest… maybe? For the longest time I never used it because I thought it was just for wedding plans, craft ideas and DIY stuff. And, well, I’m not getting married anytime soon (or EVER), and crafts are not my thing, and I don’t tend to do a lot of research before I DIY. I just do it. Usually with a drink in hand.
But I’m kind of digging it now, especially as it’s an easy way to keep track of links or articles that I’m totally going to read, just NOT RIGHT NOW, OKAY, BECAUSE I’M KIND OF BUSY DAY-DRINKING AND PUTTING TOGETHER SHELVES.
Are you on the Pinterest? What do you use it for?
4. I am in LOVE with this list of Plus Size Travel Inspirations. Just more proof that you shouldn’t let your size (and people’s misconceptions of what your size means) dictate what you do and where you go.
5. And some travel inspo for the over 40 crowd (how does that even include me?? HOW???): What Every 40-Year-Old Should Know About Travel.
6. Speaking of travel, THIS right here is my travel philosophy: Plan Your Trips Around Food Because All Other Vacations are Trash.
7. Speaking of planning trips around food, this list of Michigan food festivals is pretty much my summer plans sorted.
8. Are we freaking out about the Girl on the Train preview? Gah! It looks SO GOOD. I’m just upset that I have to wait all the way until October to watch it!
9. Another movie I can’t wait for (but luckily I don’t have to wait long): Keanu. I mean, it’s an entire movie about a kitten. It’s like Hollywood has READ MY MIND.
10. And because the Internet is AMAZING: Goats in Tiny Sweaters. Seriously, I CAN’T EVEN RIGHT NOW.
Have any backpacking tips, Pinterest advice or bullet journaling suggestions? Or maybe just want to tell me what you’ve been up to this week? Because, seriously, guys, I care! Let me know!