Random Stuff List

April 24, 2016

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

Oh, hello there, friends, how are you?

Let’s start this week off right with some random stuff, shall we?

1. I finished my spring semester of classes this week, and I have a teensy-weensy little break before my summer classes start up, which means I’ve made approximately fifty-jillion to-do lists of all the things I plan on doing during that break. I expect I will manage to do exactly two of those things, but, whatever, gotta keep the hope alive, people.

The first thing on my list: go on a camping trip with my brand new, super-duper lightweight tent.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

I’d like to try my hand at backpack camping rather than my usual car camping, where I just show up to my campsite with a car full of ALL THE THINGS and then dump them all out. The only problem is that all my current camping gear is way too big and bulky to backpack with, so I’d need all new gear. Oh yeah, and I’d kind of need a backpack.

And, in case you’ve never shopped for teeny-tiny backpacking gear, that stuff is crazy expensive. Yesterday, I was looking at a portable camp stove and the thing cost $90. Ninety freaking dollars for something that is roughly the size of a hamster! And the sleeping bag that compresses into a teeny-tiny hamster-sized ball? It was three times as much!

So, basically, I either need to to start selling my internal organs to fund this new hobby of mine or sleep in an old sheet and survive on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Have you ever been backpack camping? What do I absolutely need so I don’t die?

2. Speaking of to-do lists, I’ve been trying my hand at bullet journaling this week. As you might have noticed I’m a huge fan of making lists — from to-do lists to to-write lists to OMIGOD I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE lists.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

But I’m not so systematic about where I write those lists. So when I need to find a list, I end up having to search through the five different notebooks I keep on hand along with my computer,  my cell phone and the half a dozen post-it note pads in my kitchen. I thought bullet journaling might help me to keep everything in one place, but it’s kind of a little complicated for me. I can’t remember what all the different symbols mean. Plus, there’s the whole business of having a future log and a monthly log? WHAAA? Who plans that far ahead?

Do you bullet journal? Do you have any tips on how to make it easy for a list-loving scatterbrain like myself? Also, I should probably go buy a whole bunch of new colored pens, right? RIGHT???

3. You guys, I think I’m maybe finally figuring out the Pinterest… maybe? For the longest time I never used it because I thought it was just for wedding plans, craft ideas and DIY stuff. And, well, I’m not getting married anytime soon (or EVER), and crafts are not my thing, and I don’t tend to do a lot of research before I DIY. I just do it. Usually with a drink in hand.

Random Stuff List / Unbrave Girl

But I’m kind of digging it now, especially as it’s an easy way to keep track of links or articles that I’m totally going to read, just NOT RIGHT NOW, OKAY, BECAUSE I’M KIND OF BUSY DAY-DRINKING AND PUTTING TOGETHER SHELVES.

Are you on the Pinterest? What do you use it for?

4. I am in LOVE with this list of Plus Size Travel Inspirations. Just more proof that you shouldn’t let your size (and people’s misconceptions of what your size means) dictate what you do and where you go.

5. And some travel inspo for the over 40 crowd (how does that even include me?? HOW???): What Every 40-Year-Old Should Know About Travel.

6. Speaking of travel, THIS right here is my travel philosophy: Plan Your Trips Around Food Because All Other Vacations are Trash.

7. Speaking of planning trips around food, this list of Michigan food festivals is pretty much my summer plans sorted.

8. Are we freaking out about the Girl on the Train preview? Gah! It looks SO GOOD. I’m just upset that I have to wait all the way until October to watch it!

9. Another movie I can’t wait for (but luckily I don’t have to wait long): Keanu. I mean, it’s an entire movie about a kitten. It’s like Hollywood has READ MY MIND.

10. And because the Internet is AMAZING: Goats in Tiny Sweaters. Seriously, I CAN’T EVEN RIGHT NOW.

Have any backpacking tips, Pinterest advice or bullet journaling suggestions? Or maybe just want to tell me what you’ve been up to this week? Because, seriously, guys, I care! Let me know!

1. On April 24, 2016 at 2:07 pm Hillary said:

I love Pinterest, and I use it for a vast array of things: weddings and crafts (obvi), career and blogging articles, fashion and jewellery, home decor, even cool science. It’s pretty versatile if you just search whatever you’re interested in, rather than just following a bunch of people and hoping your interests pop up in your feed.

My Life Planner keeps me sane, so I haven’t hopped on the Bullet Journal bandwagon just yet. Let us know how it goes!

I am also super excited for The Girl on the Train and Keanu — for totally different reasons 😉

OH MY GOSH the goats. Thank you for sharing that. xx

2. On April 24, 2016 at 2:13 pm kestrel said:

Is it wrong that I rely on your random stuff lists as my link to the only things going on in the world that really matter? I don’t have TV and apparently suck at living through the internet, so I didn’t know Girl on the Train was going to be a movie. I LOVED the book so now I’m VERY EXCITED (HENCE THE ALL CAPS). But then, A KITTEN MOVIE!?!?!? You’ve restored my interest in the world with a single post. Sorry I never followed up on my chicken croquette comment. Did I mention I suck at interneting?

• On April 27, 2016 at 10:55 am Sally said:

I’m both flattered and sincerely worried that you rely on ME to provide you with information on current events… seeing as my current events consist of movies and kitten movies.
      And, yes, THERE IS A MOVIE ABOUT A KITTEN AND I CAN’T EVEN WAIT.

3. On April 25, 2016 at 9:36 am Paula said:

I started bullet journaling in March. I’m kinda making up my own methods as I go along. All those different symbols are too confusing for me too! So far I’m doing a monthly calendar, daily To do lists, a monthly budget for household expenses, and a quarterly budget for clothes. Plus, I’ve added list for the books I’ve read, and a to do list for car shopping. Just whatever I need. I love having everything all in one place. 🙂 I haven’t read Girl on a Train yet, but that trailer really makes me want to!
    Paula recently posted..What I learned when I updated my theme

• On April 27, 2016 at 10:54 am Sally said:

Right now I’m using it for weekly and daily to-do lists (a monthly to-do list is WAY too far in advance for me); plus all my lists. I’ve got LOTS of lists. But, the budget idea is good. I should start using it for that because lord knows I need to work on my budgeting skills!

4. On April 25, 2016 at 12:40 pm laura said:

you can get a knockoff backpacking stove on amazon for $10 but it will probably only work one time, and then hypothetically start spewing fire out the sides instead of up the top when you’re trying to cook dinner in british columbia and the nearest civilization is an hour away in any direction. hypothetically. geartrade, steepandcheap, and even ebay can be great resources for turbo expensive gear things like sleeping bags and backpacks. IMHO the thing to spend the most time researching as to not die while backpacking would be the sleeping bag, since i sleep real cold and cold sleeping = sadness
    laura recently posted..Last day of winter: Mt. Madison

• On April 27, 2016 at 10:45 am Sally said:

Thanks for the website suggestions? Any recs on good brands of sleeping bags?

• On April 27, 2016 at 5:20 pm Laura said:

re: sleeping bags it sooo depends on how much you want to spend. i have an EMS women’s synthetic one rated for 20 degrees that i can comfortably use down to like, 50 degrees. synthetics are not as warm as down and also don’t compress as much as down but are waaaay cheaper. i’d also recommend going womens-specific because the mens bags are too long and are colder. any brand that they sell at outdoor gear stores (REI, etc) are probably decent, i just wouldn’t get one on amazon or something like that!

• On April 27, 2016 at 7:24 pm Sally said:

Ok, good to know! Although I’m a bit worried about getting a ladies’ bag because I’m not a small lady. Do they make plus-size ladies’ sleeping bags?

• On April 27, 2016 at 7:37 pm Laura said:

Hmmm! Not to my knowledge but women’s bags do usually come in small and medium so you could check the shoulder and hip circumference listed on the bag details and see if it sounds good. If you’re paranoid though you could always try out a women’s bag at a sporting goods store. good luck on your sleeping bag journey! 😀
            Laura recently posted..Last day of winter: Mt. Madison

5. On April 25, 2016 at 1:58 pm lori said:

I’m currently buying backpacking-able camping gear for car camping. Because I only want to buy it once, and you never know what the future will bring.

• On April 27, 2016 at 10:44 am Sally said:

I got most of my car camping stuff for free from my brother who just had a newborn and is pretty much never camping ever again. I did pick up a few small things on the cheap — a camp stove, some cooking ware, laundry line, etc. — but, for the most part, I haven’t spent a dime on camping. So that’s why I’m really balking about having to shell out hundreds of dollars. I better like this new hobby of mine!

6. On April 28, 2016 at 9:23 am choi kum fook said:

The modern tent is so enthusiastic to me,with compare the olden type. It is more slim, super light weigh and easy to carry. Anyway,I think price is not so cheap.How much it cost in USA, Miss Sally?

• On April 29, 2016 at 10:53 am Sally said:

Yeah, it seems the lighter the tent, the more money it costs. The one I got was around $150, and that was on the cheap side! Most tents I looked at were over $200.