Hi, friends! It’s spring and it’s Sunday and my biggest decisions today are what color should I paint my toes and how many episodes of season 2 of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt should I watch. (Answer: ALL OF THEM. Because self control is over-rated, folks.)
I hope your Sunday is equally easy and breezy. Can I interest you in some random stuff?
1. Remember this post I wrote two years ago about staying with my friend and her two teenaged daughters in Maryland? (What’s that you say? You don’t remember it? You mean you don’t have a mental archive of every single post I’ve written in the past five years? I’m disappointed in you.)
Well, I stayed with that friend again last weekend after my conference in Baltimore, and I have to say teenagers are still completely terrifying to me. I mean look at this note one of her daughters left on the counter one day:
(In her defense, that note was completely warranted as it was protecting an enormous Reese’s peanut butter egg. I shudder to think of the methods I would have to take up should I live with other people who might be out to eat my Reese’s peanut butter eggs.)
As terrifying as it was, I do have to say I did a much better job of keeping my terror in check and acting totally cool (by my standards… not by teenaged girl standards because, honestly, that’s impossible). For example, I completely resisted the urge to ask her daughters how school was. It was really hard. I found myself wanting to ask about a billion times because, apparently, that’s what happens when you’re old and you’re confronted with teenage people. You can’t think of a single thing to say, but, “How’s school?” It’s like some weird old person instinct or something.
2. My dad was in town this weekend. We went to Airzoo, the air and space museum in town, where my dad geeked out over huge airplane engines, and I took astronaut selfies and lamented over the fact that space ice cream hasn’t become a part of our daily diet yet. I really thought that was something that would have happened by now.
And then we went to Alamo Drafthouse because that’s where I always take my parents when they visit. We watched Batman vs. Superman, which, honestly, wouldn’t have been my first choice, but I thought it would be nice, action-packed, mindless fun. But, you guys, I was SOOO CONFUSED. I mean, WHAT THE WHAT WAS GOING ON?
But, umm, Henry Cavill as Superman? Yes, please. Even though I felt like he wore a shirt entirely too much. They should fix that for the next movie.
3. I’m super excited that the weather is finally warming up because it means more solo camping adventures! I really want to try backcountry camping this year after listening to a few too many of my fellow campers blast Steve Miller Band music and work out their relationship issues while putting up tents last year.
I’m reading this article for inspiration (and I’ll be handing it out to all the people who tell me I shouldn’t go backcountry camping alone as a lady). And I’m buying about fifty cans of bear mace.
4. I mentioned the “special edition” of Glamour for ladies size 12 and up in my last random stuff list, and how ridiculous it is that a “special edition” even exists because, hey, here’s a revolutionary thought, why not produce magazines that show bodies in all shapes and sizes?
So I appreciated this article about it, especially this:
“It’s time to stop worrying about where we are on the weight hierarchy and start wondering how we’ll be remembered for what we did (or didn’t do) to make the world a better place for people of all sizes, colors, genders, classes, physical abilities and sexualities.”
Can we get an amen?
5. Speaking of body stuff, I loved this post by one of my readers, Stephanie, on her blog about how travel changed how she thought about her body. Also, omigod, how much do you love her in that red polka dot bikini? Seriously, THE CUTEST.
6. And more stuff on body image and travel: Why the quest for beauty is ruining travel.
While I’ve never felt like being a bigger girl has stopped me from traveling, it has made me more self conscious about posting photos — especially full-length photos of myself. Especially when those photos are of me being all red-faced and sweaty. Nevermind the fact that I totally deserve to be all red-faced and sweaty because I just ran a 10K on top of the Great Freaking Wall of China.
7. Another good travel post: If You Want to Travel The World.
My favorite part:
“If you’re unhappy right now, flitting over to Bali or Hawaii or whatnot isn’t necessarily going to make you happier. It might distract you and it might create some awesome Instagrams and it might make other people jealous, but sometimes those are just fancy ways of running away and masking the problem.”
8. There is a Japanese meme of babies’ arms that look like bread. Because, of course, there is.
9. Speaking of bread, I’m always on the look out for banana bread recipes because it’s important to have a quest, you guys. This one with almond butter and roasted bananas looks amaaahhzing.
10. Apparently, Istanbul is over-run with cats. Which makes me really question why I haven’t moved to Istanbul yet.
How was your week? What have you been reading/eating/watching/painting your toenails with? Share with me!