New Apartment Tour: My Kitchen

March 30, 2016

A photo tour of my new kitchen (www.unbravegirl.com)

I know I promised you, like, a billion ages ago that I’d show off my new apartment. But I was not quite ready until now. And by “not quite ready” I mean, “I hadn’t spent every single penny I had on stuff I never thought I needed until I saw it in the store and realized exactly what my life had been missing this whole time.”

Alas, now I have no money, and I am the proud owner of a ceramic spoon holder in the shape of an owl that is basically my everything. So I think it’s safe to say I’m ready to show you around.

A photo tour of my new kitchen (www.unbravegirl.com)

My EVERYTHING. Seriously.

But I’m not going to show you the whole place just yet. After all, what kind of girl do you think I am? Plus, I get paid next week and I think my bedroom needs about twenty-billion totally unnecessary throw pillows before it’s ready to show off to the people of the Internet. Because isn’t that what you want Internet-people? MORE THROW PILLOWS??? WHY DO YOU KEEP ON MAKING ME SPEND ALL MY MONEY ON STUFF I DON’T NEED, INTERNET-PEOPLE???

Ahem.

That got awkward fast.

Anyway, this week I decided to show you my kitchen. Which I figure is an appropriate place to start as it is where all the magic happens. And by “magic” I mean “bacon.”

It’s also where I start my day and end my day and spend most of my day because it’s sunny and bright and full of food, and really what more could you want in a room?

A photo tour of my new kitchen (www.unbravegirl.com)

But before you can come into my kitchen you have to pass through the door curtain. I have door curtains on all my doors because I feel they give my place an air of mystery. And they muss up people’s hair. Nobody’s allowed to have nicer hair than me when they’re in my place. That’s just the way it is.

A photo tour of my new kitchen (www.unbravegirl.com)

Another reason why I spend so much time in my kitchen: it’s where my Internet lives.

A photo tour of my new kitchen (www.unbravegirl.com)

Speaking of things living in my kitchen, look! I have plants! I’ve never had live plants before. I’m kind of waiting for them to die or explode. But, until then, look how pretty and not-dead they look!

A photo tour of my new kitchen (www.unbravegirl.com)

To be filed under “More Stuff I Never Thought I Needed Until I Saw It in the Store and Realized Exactly What My Life Had Been Missing This Whole Time”: this adorable rug.

A photo tour of my new kitchen (www.unbravegirl.com)

Do you know what it’s like to realize that the gaping hole in your heart is exactly the same size and shape as a kitchen rug with birds on it? A ridiculously, over-priced kitchen rug with birds on it? (At least my heart can’t be filled on the cheap. That’s got to mean something.)

Speaking of birds, here’s my totally essential stamp-holding bird that I keep on my desk next to my equally essential sign telling me to smile. Because sometimes you need a reminder to smile. (But not from creepy dudes on the street. The next time some creepy dude on the street tells me to smile, I’m going to tell him, “I’ll smile but only because my sign is telling me to, not because you said I should, creepy dude.”)

A photo tour of my new kitchen (www.unbravegirl.com)

What was I even talking about?

Oh yes, my kitchen. Here it is from another angle. Admittedly this angle is not as snazzy as the other angle — but you do get a good look at my haunted kitchen island.

A photo tour of my new kitchen (www.unbravegirl.com)

Speaking of my island, I finally figured out what I should put in its bottom cupboard. It is way too small for baking pans and only holds half of my mixing bowls. But it is just the right size for wine bottles. I feel like my great grandmother would approve.

A photo tour of my new kitchen (www.unbravegirl.com)

Whelp, now that I’ve shown you where the wine is, it’s probably time for you to leave. Before you start stealing my wine and make me regret my life choices. Like my life choice to invite all the people of the Internet into my home without demanding they bring me a bottle of wine first.

Just be sure to muss your hair up real good on your way out.

A photo tour of my new kitchen (www.unbravegirl.com)

Thanks for coming to visit! Now it’s your turn to talk! What household item did you buy that you never thought you needed until you saw it in the store and realized it was exactly what your life was missing?

1. On March 30, 2016 at 7:33 am Pamm said:

I must say that I am equal parts thoroughly disgusted and certifiably jealous of your color coordinated kitchen.

My kitchen is pouting because it does not have a color scheme at all. And neither does the rest of my place. It doesn’t even have a window.

Now I am pouting. Could you ask your Mom to come visit me and help decorate? No chickens though.

• On April 2, 2016 at 11:42 am Sally said:

Wait. You don’t have a window in your ENTIRE place. Oh gosh. You should be pouting! And, yes, my mom is available for decorating… but first she has to finish making all the throw pillows I need in my life. 🙂

2. On March 30, 2016 at 12:18 pm Jessiev said:

SOOOO CUTE!! i sense a lot of dips coming from that kitchen…

where’s george? what’s a photo essay without her?
    Jessiev recently posted..11 photos that capture the essence of rural Ireland

• On April 2, 2016 at 11:41 am Sally said:

Oh, yes, LOTS of dips. And photo essay of George deserves its own post, don’t you think? She shouldn’t have to share the spotlight with my new kitchen rug. 🙂

3. On March 30, 2016 at 12:19 pm Sandra L. said:

Can I be Officially Jealous? I have never had my own place. Went from my folks’ house to an apartment with a roommate (for six months) to my married home (which is always taken over by my DH’s STUFF). I’m not much of a housekeeper.
    As Pamm said, my place doesn’t have a color scheme either.

• On April 2, 2016 at 11:40 am Sally said:

This is the first place I’ve had in years that I’ve truly been able to decorate and buy stuff for. It’s been so fun! My last place was way too small and couldn’t fit a lot of stuff, and before that I was living at home and then before that in temporary places overseas. So, yeah, I totally get it. You NEED a color scheme!

4. On March 30, 2016 at 1:24 pm Kim said:

Adorable! I especially love your birdy postage stamp holder. And I agree with Jessie; where’s George?

5. On March 30, 2016 at 3:01 pm Joanne said:

Love it! Love the vases especially the yellow one. Do you have under cabinet kitchen lights? Those are now available from any store that simply plug in. You do need to screw them into the underside of the cabinet because the sticky tape does not hold well. But with small, clear Command hooks under the cabinets, the electrical cord attached to the lights can be easily hidden. That’s what we did. No hardwiring.

• On April 2, 2016 at 11:35 am Sally said:

Joanne, I DO need under cabinet lighting — especially above the sink. I bought a small battery-operated one, but it didn’t work at all and fell down after about 2 hours. Thanks for your suggestion!

6. On March 31, 2016 at 2:45 am Indrani said:

Superb! you have a wonderful choice for even the smallest things!
    I liked the kitchen rug very much and how you photographed the wine bottle.
    Wish you a happy stay!

7. On March 31, 2016 at 12:06 pm Paula said:

Your kitchen is amazing! I love the colors! And I need an owl spoon holder! I think that’s what my life has been missing too!

8. On April 4, 2016 at 10:22 am Meg said:

Oh, man, I love your dishes and glassware! I kind of want everything in this kitchen.

My own “I NEED THIS NOW” is cool colors of Pyrex dishes, bowls, bakeware, everything with that cool glowing white on one side and a pretty color on the other. I try to restrain myself — I usually fix dinner for my husband and myself, and we live in a very small apartment, so I probably don’t need this 9X12 casserole dish, or service for 8, or all kinds of random pretty Pyrex things… BUT I NEED THEM!
    Meg recently posted..Book Review: Eligible

9. On April 11, 2016 at 5:08 pm Anny said:

I love this kitchen!
    And here I was proud to have my first real “adult” apartment (at 29 – sad, I know) with MY OWN furniture. WITHOUT flatmates of any sort. But also without any decoration. No rug, now vase, no nothing. I need decoration ):

Thank you for showing us around!
    Can you remember (and share) where you got the pictures next to your door in photo no. 4?
    Especially the first one with the lanterns is so beautiful 🙂

• On April 16, 2016 at 11:16 am Sally said:

Both of those pictures were purchases in a print shop in Kyoto… so, yeah, probably not very helpful unless you’re actually in Kyoto (and don’t ask me where in Kyoto). Sorry I can’t be of more help!

1. Wine glasses and bead curtains and fruit bowls abound! | lolabits