Happy Sunday, everyone! I hope you’re in your pajamas, drinking coffee and eating that box of gift chocolate you bought for someone and “forgot” to give them. Because I’d hate to think I’m the only one spending my Sunday doing that.
Let’s random stuff list, shall we? (Yes, I just used random stuff list as a verb. I’m an English teacher. I can do that.)
1. My semester starts back up tomorrow (ahhhh!), so I thought I’d have one last hurrah before I return to my life of grading and lesson planning and generally being a hermit. I booked a last minute, overnight trip to Detroit, so I could check out The Moth Story Slam and go to the Detroit Institute of the Arts.
Because, yes, my idea of “one last hurrah” is storytelling shows and art museums. Admit it. I am the biggest dork you know.
I wasn’t planning on actually telling a story at The Moth, but then this happened.
I promise to tell you all about it later this week, but right now I’m still kind of hyperventilating.
2. The last time I went to Detroit, I stayed in a hostel. It was cheap and clean, but inconveniently located and my neighbor started yelling on his phone at eight o’clock at night and didn’t really stop until four in the morning. So, I decided this time I’d splurge and stay in a super, swanky hotel downtown.
The only thing was that I had to use valet parking for the first time ever, and I was convinced I’d do it all wrong. So, of course, I studied. (I told you I was a dork.) I found this article on how to use valet parking without looking like an idiot to be helpful. (The article itself is geared for men, but I’m pretty sure the rules apply to us ladies, too.)
3. In other news, I bought a purple coat this week. Now, I know this may not sound like news to you. But this BIG TIME for me. It’s the first non-black coat I’ve bought in years.
Plus, it has all this fake fur around the hood, and, I’m not kidding you, every time I put up the hood, I feel like a bad ass. I think it’s because I’m channeling my inner lion.
4. In the spirit of the new year and my effort to do more in 2016, I’ve been contemplating ways I can be more productive and less Internet-addictive this year. First thing I need to do: cut down on the binge-watching.
I’ve already canceled my Hulu Plus membership (which means I’ll have to watch The Bachelor two weeks behind everyone else! Ahhh! How will I cope?). I’ve also done away with my Amazon Prime membership (which means I won’t use “but I’ve got free shipping” as an excuse to buy ALL THE THINGS.)
And I even came this close to canceling my Netflix membership, but then I remembered The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and how it basically gives me life. Besides, you guys, I am not a robot.
On a related note: I’ve removed the Facebook app from my phone no fewer than three times this week. But somehow it ends up back on my phone every single time. I don’t know how that keeps happening.
5. Speaking of Netflix, this post is fantastic: Date a girl who sits around in fleece pyjamas watching Netflix.
6. Another thing that might help me be more productive this year: this list of apps to help stay focused on writing.
There’s even an app called Self Control. Which is good because Lord knows I wasn’t born with any.
7. Speaking of being productive, I have also been thinking up ways I can get myself to post more on my blog. This week I’m going to be toying with different ideas, including starting some new series. (Look out for “Why My Pants Don’t Fit Wednesday”!) And I’ll be bringing back some old series I started and abandoned. (Remember “Fear Friday“? No? Probably because I only posted one of them and then stopped.)
So stay tuned!
8. Speaking of blogging, I loved this post on why it’s okay not to have a niche blog. I say this as someone who has a travel blog, but usually just writes about pants, Netflix and her cat.
9. In case one of your resolutions was to cook more, here’s a list of surprising tips on how to be a better cook. I’m usually not all that surprised by Internet articles that promise to be surprising, but, I’m telling you, the tip about not keeping cucumbers in the fridge still has me reeling. REELING!
And, that’s a wrap, folks. Have any tips on how to be more productive, post more blogs and watch less Netflix? Let me have ’em!