I’m Moving!

December 6, 2015

12322478_10154454200909358_3253923517328320207_o

Umm, you guys I’ve got some BIG NEWS.

I’m moving!

Okay, before you get too excited, I should probably mention that unlike my previous moves, this time I am not moving halfway across the globe or even the country.

I’m just moving about five blocks away. But still: YAY! SO EXCITED!

However, if you had asked me about this situation at the beginning of the week, I wouldn’t have sounded so excited. In fact, I would have sounded like a crying sack of crazy because that’s exactly what I was.

You see, on Monday I was informed by my landlord, that they were going to let me out of my lease, rather than deal with evicting my stompy, chain-smoking upstairs neighbor. Even though he was the one violating his lease agreement and not me. And that’s when I learned yet again: following the rules NEVER pays. NEVER.

(But I will still follow the rules because I am a wuss.)

I spent most of Monday crying because HOW AM I GOING TO MOVE IN THE MIDDLE OF FINISHING MY SEMESTER AND IT’S GOING TO COST SO MUCH MONEY AND THERE’S CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR’S, I MEAN, NOT LIKE I HAVE ANY SEXY NEW YEAR’S PLANS, BUT ANYWAY WAAAAAHHHHHH.

And then I called my mom crying. And she did that really annoying mom-thing where she was all like, “It’s all going to work out for the best,” or “Change is good” or some other such mom-sense. (I just made that word up. Don’t you like it?)

I spent Tuesday afternoon, running around looking at beautiful but over-priced apartments in cookie-cutter complexes located behind strip malls and bemoaning the fact that I would soon become the kind of person who would have to give directions to my place like this: “Turn left at the Chipotle. And I’m one block from there.”

I mean, sure, who doesn’t want to live within walking distance of a Chipotle? But I’ve never been an apartment-complex kind of lady. I love quirky, old buildings with funky, period doorknobs, old-timey light fixtures and questionable sewage systems. I love living in a neighborhood, not a strip mall. I love sidewalks and neighborhood diners and having to drive myself to Chipotle, which makes it special.

And then I got home and I had a message from a coworker mentioning that another coworker had an upstairs apartment she was looking to rent. And the next thing I knew I was knocking on her door in the middle of the night. (Okay, it was 8:00, but, you guys, I’m usually in bed by 9:00, so this was pretty much my middle of the night.)

And the apartment was perfect and quirky and full of so many fun doorknobs and light fixtures. (Although, hopefully, a not-so-questionable sewage system).

Cool old-timey light fixture in my new place.

Cool old-timey light fixture in my new place.

And it’s much bigger than my current apartment and cheaper and has about a billion closets and absolutely no stompy upstairs neighbor. In fact, I’m the stompy upstairs neighbor now, so it’s a good thing I’ve been learning from the best. (Haha, just kidding, downstairs neighbors! Please don’t hate me. Or evict me.)

And then I was signing a lease and handing over a check and planning where I was going to put all my stuff and putting up ads on Craigslist for the stuff I’m not taking with me and getting weird emails from people on Craigslist and wondering what the heck is wrong with people in this world. (Pro tip: Never refer to the small sofa you’re trying to get rid of as a “loveseat.” Even if it is technically a loveseat. That’s just asking for pervs.)

And then I had to call my mom and tell her that she was right.

How do moms even do that? I mean, that’s just got to be annoying, always being right all the time and stuff.

Have you ever had to move unexpectedly and you were freaking out, but it turned out to be a good thing just like your mom said it was going to be? Uggh, moms, amirite?

1. On December 6, 2015 at 10:41 am Leah said:

Glad you found such a great place!

2. On December 6, 2015 at 1:28 pm Jennifer said:

Moving in a hurry does induce panic. It is totally normal. A great site for movers is movinghelp.com. They are associated with U-haul. The movers are all local and are usually the mom & pop variety (not the big corps like Starving Students). If you rent a truck via U-haul there will be a link to that site when you’re checking out. I’ve been using them for every move (and sadly there’s been a lot in the last 3 years) and it’s always gone well. Just remember… deep breaths and it’ll all get done.

• On December 8, 2015 at 7:05 am Sally said:

Thanks so much for the tip! Luckily, I don’t have too much stuff, I should be able to transport most of it myself with help from my brother and friends. The only thing I’m not so sure about is my bed. Pretty sure that’s not going to fit into my brother’s minivan!

3. On December 6, 2015 at 1:31 pm Diane said:

Yes! I am also being pushed out of my place and have luckily found a new place that will hopefully be much cooler, as long as the cat agrees.

This is totally a crappy time of year to be moving but maybe a good way to start the new year! Enjoy your new stompy neighbor status 🙂

And yea…my mom said the same things, how do they know?

• On December 8, 2015 at 7:04 am Sally said:

Luckily, it hasn’t started snowing yet and, fingers crossed, hopefully it won’t start until after I’m all moved in. I guess if I was going to move in December, this would be the December to do it!
      Good luck with your move! We can do this!

4. On December 6, 2015 at 3:26 pm Priya said:

I’m glad everything worked out. And I’m sure George is happy about the move, too? 🙂
    Priya recently posted..Holiday Weekend In Kalamazoo, Michigan

5. On December 6, 2015 at 4:34 pm Rebecca said:

I am so very happy for you, I like the same kind of apartments. I am also a mom and say those mom things…which do usually turn out to be right. 😉

However…what I’d like to know is, why did you have to be home in order to receive a message? That could have had awful consequences. What if you’d just signed a lease for a place in a cookie cutter complex and arrived home to that message?

Whatever contact info people have for you should really be accessible from your phone, don’t you think?

Still, I’m thrilled for you. I actually believe things work out for us in spite of ourselves anyway. (But I still also believe in access from anywhere.😉)
    Rebecca recently posted..Surprise Holidays

• On December 8, 2015 at 7:02 am Sally said:

The message was via Facebook, and I don’t always check my Facebook if I’m out and about and don’t have wifi. Luckily, everything worked out. But I am SO GLAD I didn’t sign a lease for one of the other places… I almost did, but they cost so much that I felt I needed to go home and think about it and weigh all my options before I did. And then when I got home, I saw the message. Yay!

6. On December 6, 2015 at 7:05 pm Jade said:

Mom-sense is an awesome word.

Change approved!

Do you watch Cougar Town… if not, that will make no sense…

7. On December 7, 2015 at 2:13 am Leslie in Oregon said:

Congratulations..your new place sounds like such an improvement!! Happy for you, Leslie

8. On December 7, 2015 at 3:11 am Claudia said:

Back in 2000 I attended university in Denver. I lived in a beautiful apartment which I shared with another student. I knew she was doing pot, and she brought back someone different from the bar where she worked pretty much every night (occasionally she brought back two, one was meant to be for me, and I usually just locked myself in my room). I could almost take all of that. But one day I found her doing cocaine in her room and she had a bag of it there. I was the foreign and I was pretty sure that if anything happened, I would be kicked out of school and from the US altogether. I figured one of us had to move. She told me I was the one who had a problem with her doing drugs (mmmm, fair enough). Within a day I found another place. A lovely one bedroom apartment in a charming building with no stumpy neighbors and nobody doing drugs, and it was even closer to school.
    Claudia recently posted..Things to do in Bali in one week

9. On December 8, 2015 at 12:05 am Ceri said:

Congrats on finding a new place so fast! 😀 By the sound of it, it seems perfect.

I am also moving. Not until March but I’m still going through the ‘panic mode/call to mother who tells me to calm the hell down because everything will be fine’ thing too.

We can do this, Sally. We got this.
    Ceri recently posted..35

10. On December 9, 2015 at 4:35 am Choi Kum Fook said:

Congratulation to have a new place and new life.Make sure next time buy a folding bed just convenient for transporting. I am just kidding, Sally!

11. On December 9, 2015 at 9:57 am Paula said:

Your new place sounds amazing! Congratulations! 🙂

12. On December 13, 2015 at 2:15 pm Michelle said:

I was living in a nearly 100 year old house. Old plaster walls, hardwood, all the charm you could want. I was traveling most of July, August, and September so the landlord though it would be a good time to have the knob and tube removed and new wiring added. At some point someone in the attic knocked loose the A/C pipes and created condensation overflow. Now being gone most of the time, I didn’t notice the consistent water dripping until I got back at the end of September. An entire wall of my bedroom was covered with mold. So I asked when this problem, that I didn’t create, might be fixed…you know, since it was affecting my health and all. THe reply—oh probably not until you move out…
    So in a three week period, I found a new [a lot smaller] spot, packed up stuff and cats, and moved 5 miles down the road.
    It wasn’t a planned move, but so far, it’s worked out for the better.

13. On December 20, 2015 at 1:57 am Ron@ApartmentsInMichigan said:

LMAO at your sofa/loveseat stuff haha. I totally get what you meant and yes you will get tons of emails for that.

Anyway, it’s a good change I think. Cheaper and bigger apartment is much better right?
    Ron@ApartmentsInMichigan recently posted..Easy Tips And Tricks To Keep a Pet Friendly Apartment Clean

14. On January 7, 2016 at 7:56 am Dora Leonard said:

I also had a very unexpected move two years ago exactly in the winter before the holidays! It turned to be really nice because after all the struggle and stress we manage to have great holidays! We moved because the homeowner was a crazy lady who was coming in and moving our belongings. We got mad and left, because we didn’t want any police involved in the situation. We stayed with my parents and were warm and good for spending the winter. Now it is behind me and I feel better about it… but back then it was really the same nightmare that you had to go through. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

15. On December 4, 2016 at 4:22 pm Sandra L. said:

I know this is an old post, but reading it and the responses is making me feel more optimistic than I have in a while.
    I have an insane neighbor and nobody, but nobody, wants to help us deal with this guy. Neither our landlord nor his, not the cops, not the mental health pros (and I use the term loosely), not city hall. I’ve kind of come to the conclusion that I must leave before he does something even crazier than the last thing, involving police, ambulances and the court system.
    I just hope there is something out there that I can afford and that the universe sends it my way.

• On December 11, 2016 at 1:36 pm Sally said:

Good luck, Sandra! I definitely recommend moving, especially if you’re worried about your own safety with this tenant (as I was!). It was super hectic getting out of my lease and finding a new place in a short amount of time, but it was SO worth it. And I love my new place (and landlords/fellow tenants). So it all worked out for the best! I hope it does for you too!

1. unbrave girl | Random Stuff List