I wasn’t even planning to write a Random Stuff List today because I’ve been super busy all week with work-stuff and super busy this weekend with stuff-stuff, and I was just going to spend my Sunday sleeping in and eating muffins and catching up on Project Runway, but then my upstairs neighbor decided to move furniture while Irish dancing this morning at five AM, which I could hear through the earplugs I’ve started to wear every night in order to sleep because this whole moving-furniture-while-Irish-dancing-in-the-middle-of-the-night-thing has become something of a regular occurrence.
So here I am wide awake and ready to
strangle someone write a blog post.
Thank you, upstairs neighbor!
Let’s get started, shall we?
1. My Dad came to visit me this Friday night. And I did what every good daughter does when her father comes to visit her, I took him to a bunch of art galleries which were a part of Art Hop, Kalamazoo’s first Friday event.
Because isn’t that what every father wants to do? Hang out with his adult-daughter in random art galleries, staring at gigantic papier mache lips?
My Dad did a pretty good job of putting up with these shenanigans until we reached maybe the third gallery, which just consisted of a bunch of older ladies in scarves selling pottery in the shape of vaginas. At which point, I decided I’d possibly put him through enough, so we went to Alamo Drafthouse, to watch movies and drink beer and eat pizza.
Which, in hindsight, is probably what we should have done in the first place. But, live and learn, you guys. Live and learn.
2. Umm, so did you guys see the so-called “Super Moon” last weekend? I wasn’t even planning on going out to see it because wearing pants and leaving my apartment past about eight o’clock at night is not really a thing I do. But then I decided that maybe I should make an exception to my after-eight-pants-ban just this one time.
I have to admit that it was pretty impressive in person.
But then when I took a picture of it, this happened.
Seriously, Super Moon?
You’d think that if it only came around every twenty or thirty years or so, it would make an effort to be a bit more photogenic, wouldn’t you?
(At least the Internet assures me that I wasn’t alone in all my not so super photos of the Super Moon.)
3. I have exciting news, you guys!
I’ve been called for jury duty!
I know I’m possibly the only person in the history of the justice system to be excited about jury duty. But, you guys, I feel like I’ve been TRAINING for this day. I mean, it can’t just be a coincidence that I spent the better half of September binge-watching the legal drama, The Good Wife, and then I got called for jury duty, can it?
I can’t wait until the prosecution and defense teams start fighting over whether or not I should be on the jury. Oh, and all the lawyers better be really attractive and sleeping with each other or I’m going to be really disappointed.
4. Also exciting news: It’s fluffy bathrobe season, you guys!
After a week of shivering away in my flimsy summer bathrobe, I finally bit the bullet and dragged the big plastic bin full of cold weather clothes out of my closet and dug out my bathrobe.
And now I’m going to have a big plastic bin of cold weather clothes sitting on my bedroom floor for the next two to six weeks because who has time to put away clothes?
Besides, there’s something to be said for diving into a plastic bin of clothes every morning in search of something to wear to work. It adds a certain element of the unknown to one’s schedule. That and a certain element of wrinkles.
5. After having spent the past month eating ALL THE PUMPKIN THINGS, I’ve decided to move on to a new pumpkin challenge for October: DRINK ALL THE PUMPKIN BEER.
So far, I’ve done a pretty impressive job. I’ve managed at least five different Michigan microbrew versions of the pumpkiny stuff and a couple non-Michigan ones as well. My faves so far are Traveler’s Pumpkin Shandy and the pumpkin ale from a local microbrew called Olde Peninsula. What pumpkin beer are you drinking that I should be drinking?
6. It goes without saying that I love when people link to my blog on their blog because, hey, who doesn’t like to feel popular? But what I really love is when people link to my blog in their blog and their blog is in some language I can’t understand at all. Because that means not only am I popular, I’m internationally popular. Ooooooooo!
This week, my post on being an anti-social travel person was linked to on this lovely Swedish blog. Where according to the fine people at Google Translate, this was said about me: “Unbrave girl is a blog that I really like, she is humorous, is introvert and likes cats, full score as well.”
Full score, indeed, my friends! Full score!
7. Okay, so I’ve been dismally bad at going to the cinema to see movies lately which makes me sad because going to the cinema to see movies is pretty much the only thing I enjoy doing that requires the wearing of pants.
But, that situation is going to need to be rectified real soon because there are soooo many good movies coming out in the next few months.
Some of the movies I need to put on some pants to go see as soon as they come out: Suffragette (Such an important story. Also, I mean, Meryl Streep), He Named Me Malala (I cried all the way through the preview for this one. Not even going to lie), Brooklyn (In which the heroine has to choose between two different countries and two different suitors. So basically my life story. Except, instead of choosing between countries and men, I’m usually choosing between two different types of pie), and Sisters (Amy Poehler and Tina Fey together again? YES. ALL THE YES).
What other movies should I be putting my pants on for?
9. So I just discovered this website full of cat-themed t-shirts. I can’t decide between the one that says “I work hard so my cat can live a better life” and “Sorry, I can’t. I have plans with my cat.”
10. Speaking of cats, apparently, cats in kimonos is a thing in Japan.
BRB. Moving to Japan.
How’s your week been treating you? Have any pumpkin-beer/new-movie/cat-t-shirt suggestions for me?