Random Stuff List

September 27, 2015

12001067_10154301144354358_4820748823388297780_o

Howdy, folks!

It’s been a week, you know?

Let’s get cracking on some random stuff already.

1. Umm, so you know my last post? The one where my crankypanties were all up in a bunch and I ranted on about how we need to stop telling women they shouldn’t travel alone? (And by “we” I mean “society.” And by “society” I mean “douchey douchebags on the Internet.”)

Well, I guess you guys like it when I’m a ranty crankypants because that post was my most popular post to date, with over 1,000 Facebook likes.

You guys, I can still remember the first time 100 people visited my blog in one day and I thought I was BIG TIME. I was house-sitting in the middle of a jungle in Thailand, sweating my tank top off, staring at Google Analytics and screaming at my charge, a lovable, black and white cat with no eyeballs, “OMIGOD. OMIGOD. OMIGOD. 100 PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET KNOW I’M ALIVE!”

So, yeah. Thanks, you guys, for all the reads, likes and shares.

If you are a new reader or follower to my blog, having come here from the last post, this is where I tell you that that last post was something of a fluke and THIS is the kind of post I usually write. Basically random ramblings about my cat, the Internet, binge-watching television shows on the Internet and recipes that I find on the Internet and somehow magically don’t manage to mess up. Occasionally, I talk of things of importance, like, ummm, my love of scarves (they’re like warm, fabric hugs for your neck!).

And this is where you run away screaming and never come back.

2. Speaking of ranty crankypanties posts, my pal, Tom, at Waegook Tom has a wonderfully ranty crankypants post about why you can’t actually travel for free.

It’s true, you guys, traveling costs money.

And anyone who says you can just travel for free by starting a travel blog: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

3. I know I’ve posted this video before of upstairs neighbors making ridiculous/annoying/what-the-actual-hell noises.

But, omigod, you guys, this video is pretty much my life right now. Except I’m the downstairs neighbor and my upstairs neighbor is using his hardwood floors to practice his bongo-playing skills at twelve o’clock at night (at least that’s what I can gather from the noises I’m hearing from up there).

4. This Friday night, I found myself making coffee cake at eight o’clock at night because, you guys, isn’t that how every thirty-something single woman spends her Friday night? Making coffee cake in her pajamas?

Friday night coffee cake party!

Friday night coffee cake party!

This is actually a little habit I’ve picked up from my dad. My dad is the inventor of late-night coffee-cake making. And, when you think about it, it’s pretty genius. Coffee cake is the perfect thing to make in the middle of the night, when you want something sweet, but you can’t really justify whipping up a batch of cookies. You can tell yourself you’re making it for breakfast the next day. When, in fact, you have every intention of burning the roof of your mouth off as you shovel a piece of it into your face right after you pull it out of the oven.

I used this recipe. It was good, but it brought up every insecurity I have about making and using glaze. Why can I never get glaze right? It’s either way too watery or it’s way too grainy. I mean, it’s sugar-water! You wouldn’t think sugar-water would be all that hard to perfect. But I get it wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME.

(Oh, hi there, people-who-are-reading-my-blog-because-you-thought-I-was-some-super-cool-travely-girl-after-my-last-post, have you stopped reading yet? If not, you might want to. Because, I mean, seriously, I’m talking about coffee cake glaze. THIS IS HOW SMALL MY LIFE IS.)

5. Speaking of recipes, I made this sweet potato curry with chickpeas and spinach last week, and it was the perfect autumnal dish. It also helped me achieve my one and only goal in life. Which is  to make a big enough pot of food on Sunday, so that I can have leftovers for lunch for the rest of the week. Because actually making lunch for myself in the morning? I am not about that life.

What I've been eating all week.

What I’ve been eating all week.

Next up is this this thai red curry with kabocha squash. Except first I have to figure out where the heck I can buy kabocha in Kalamazoo.

6. Speaking of all things autumnal, you know how I’m always like I’M GOING TO DO ALL THE FALL THINGS RIGHT NOW!

Well, you guys, I’m kind of failing at the fall things at the moment. I have yet to ride on a hay wagon. I haven’t done a single fall hike. And I haven’t been to the cider mill to eat my face off with donuts yet.

Instead, I’ve been crazy busy with work. I’ve had meetings every single day these past two weeks, which means I haven’t had much time to plan classes or do my grading during the week. So I spent all day Saturday in my office grading papers and making Powerpoints about proper modal usage.

This was my Saturday. How jealous are you?

This was my Saturday. How jealous are you?

This is the problem with fall. I love it so very much, but it’s the busiest time for me at work, so I’m either working or stressing out about the fact that I’m not working and probably should be working.

This is also the problem with the American educational system. I mean, why do we have vacation during the hottest months of the summer and the coldest months of the winter? I don’t want vacation then! I want vacation when the leaves are all crunchy and I could be spending my days stuffing my face with cider and donuts instead of grading papers and making grammar Powerpoints.

Let’s change this right now!

(Dear Presidential Candidates, I will vote for whichever one of you changes school vacation time to the fall. Except if your last name happens to be Trump.)

7. Another fall thing I haven’t done yet: fall clothing shopping.

But, when I do, I think these fingerless kitten mittens and this Janet Jackson-esque military jacket are in order.

8. Umm, also, this is my favorite thing written about fall ever.

9. Can we talk about the new fall TV shows?

Can we also talk about how severely disappointed I was with The MuppetsI know how people are all upset about how “adult” the show is now. But that didn’t bother me. I mean, puppets talking about sex and boob jobs? No problem. I saw Avenue Q. I know how this works.

The thing was it just wasn’t that funny. I didn’t laugh once. And I really wanted to love it and laugh my face off. But I just couldn’t. Do you know how much that breaks my heart? Please, Muppets, get better.

I did really like Scream Queens though. Because who doesn’t want to see Lea Michele in a neck brace and ice cream cone sweater.

Ooo, and the new PBS show, Indian Summers, looks sooooo good.

What fall shows are you watching and loving?

10. At least twenty of my Facebook friends have recently sent me links to photos of cats dressed up like sushi.

Because, apparently, when my friends see cats dressed up like sushi, they think of me.

They know me so well.

How’s your week? What have you been up to? What have you been watching? What recipes do you have that will make the biggest pot of food so I can eat it for the rest of the week? TELL ME EVERYTHING!

1. On September 27, 2015 at 12:36 pm Isabelle said:

Sorry, I didn’t ‘like’ your last post on Facebook but I really loved it too! So you’re now at 1001! I don’t even understand why women travelling alone is a topic of conversation. (I travel alone all the time and the worst experience I’ve ever had was right here in Montreal, outside of my front door. Literally in front of my house!) People should travel as much as possible. With friends, family, alone, whatever! Just get out of your little life and experience something else, period!
    Oh, I have a love of scarves too!

2. On September 27, 2015 at 3:48 pm Dannielle said:

Make it 1002! I loved your last post also. It’s just odd for me because it’s the actual travel that terrifies me, not my companion status. I’ll live vicariously through you, okay? On a brighter note, my sister took me to an orchard yesterday, where I watched my niece pick Apple’s, participated in a hayride and yes, stuffed my face with donuts and apple cider! If I had known your gaping hole in your fall activity calendar, I would have invited you. Just consider it an open invitation for the future. Have a great week.

• On September 28, 2015 at 9:12 pm Sally said:

I ALMOST went to the orchard this weekend, and then ended up grading papers. Overall, the most disappointing of weekends. I’m determined to do SOMETHING fall-ish next weekend if it kills me! (Orchards can’t kill me, can they? I mean, the worst a falling apple could do is a concussion, right?)

3. On September 27, 2015 at 3:55 pm Priya said:

Yeah, I made the mistake of mentioning to one of my coworkers that I have a blog. Then I refused to give her the link. But she kept bugging me and Googling until she found me. But she didn’t bother reading it. Instead, she started offering unwanted advice on how I can make money from it and started calling it “our blog…”. Her brilliant advice included charging people for my Instagram pics and travel advice. I told her it was a bad idea and she said “I just didn’t want to do the work.” Yeah, I’m never telling people I work with I have a blog, ever.
    Priya recently posted..Grand Canyon First Impression

• On September 28, 2015 at 9:11 pm Sally said:

All my coworkers know I have a blog, but very few of them have actually read it. My one coworker who does read it regularly is always telling my students about it. Yeah, that needs to stop.

4. On September 27, 2015 at 4:00 pm Linda Bergstrom said:

I loved the last post, but don’t feel the need to comment when you have so many other good ones to ponder.
    Instead I have something random for you. Do you watch House Hunters at all on HGTV? If so, have you noticed all the shows lately about hip young people buying and fixing up houses in Buffalo? One after another after another. And many of them did it during that horrible bid snowstorm last winter.
    So, my question to you is, what’s up with Buffalo? Is everyone who is young and trendy really moving there? Should we all be thinking about going there before it gets all spoiled like Havana or Asheville or Boise?

• On September 28, 2015 at 9:10 pm Sally said:

Buffalo is getting super cool. It was pretty cool when I was living there, but each time I go back I’m blown away by all the new coolness. And, yep, we all better move there now so we can say we moved there before everybody else did.

5. On September 28, 2015 at 11:39 am Sine Thieme said:

I had to laugh about the part (aside from the dig at Donald Trump) where you were whooping like crazy over 100 page views a day. Or visitors, or whatever. Isn’t it funny how fast we get used to that, so that the very NEXT day 100 visitors sounds like nothing special at all, or actually positively disappointing, when just the previous week we were thinking, how awesome would it be to hit 100 visitors on my blog? So now, any blog posts of yours with anything less than 1000 FB likes will feel like a huge disappointment. I’ve always wondered if it might be the same with book sales. You know, from my vantage point, 1000 books a month sounds like unimaginable bliss, but I’ve heard other self-published authors bitterly complain about such numbers. So why even bother, if we can never feel happy about it? Well, I guess it does pay the bills, in the meantime. Because yes you’re right, travel writing certainly does not.

Oh, by the way, so that you can have another milestone to celebrate where there is plenty of room for higher numbers, I went and Google-plussed your 1000 FB-likes post. That’s right, there was not a SINGLE Google-plus vote on it, can you believe it?

• On September 28, 2015 at 9:08 pm Sally said:

Well, I don’t think there’s much chance I’ll be getting used to 1,000 Facebook likes per post. I don’t think my random ramblings about television and my cat have quite that much of a lure. Which is fine by me. It’s kind of unnerving knowing all those people actually know you exist. 🙂

6. On September 29, 2015 at 4:52 am Claudia said:

OMIGOD I think I have to meet you in person. I think I would actually want to save money just to see you and enjoy a laugh or two. And you are a cat person. And you binge on tv shows. I binge on Greys Anatomy. Pathetic but I love it.

Oh, gotta go read your friend’s post on traveling costs. I have freakin had enough of people (aka bloggers) who say you can travel for free. And work. Aka leave a well paid job at home to go scrub toilets in exchange of accommodation. Mmmmm now that is traveling. And the whole volunteering s***. Seriously people: volunteer to get a bed in a nasty hostel that makes profit is NOT volunteering. And I even fail to see how that is traveling at all. Or getting into the local culture. Mmmm. I am weird though, right? Ohhhhh gosh.
    Claudia recently posted..Stunning and funny pictures that will make you want to visit Bolivia

• On October 4, 2015 at 8:53 am Sally said:

I’ve done some volunteering in exchange for a free place to stay. And in some cases it did make me feel like I was closer to the local culture (see: weeding rice paddies… that was very LOCAL culturey feeling). But in other cases (see: the one night I survived “volunteering” at a hostel) it just sucked. Sometimes paying for a room is TOTALLY WORTH every penny.