Random Stuff List

September 20, 2015

11113589_10154281131729358_387448182586379287_o

Hey, remember last week when I promised I’d write a real blog post this week and not just another random stuff list.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

In my defense I’ve been super busy with work — the beginning of the semester is always crazy busy and exhausting.

Plus, I thought I was done binge-watching The Good Wife after finishing the first five seasons on Hulu. But, then, I discovered season 6 on Amazon Prime. And, well, I couldn’t not binge-watch it. That would be like quitting. And I’m no quitter. At least when it comes to television series. Mind you, I do quit lots of other things on a regular basis — like jobs, exercise plans and wearing pants.

Enough excuses already. Let’s just go ahead and get this random stuff started!

1. One of the reasons I’ve been super busy at work the past few weeks has been because I’ve been shuttling around a group of Japanese students to different volunteering activities in the community.

This has not been without its perks — namely I get to drive around town in a fancy rental car that has fancy stuff my car doesn’t have like satellite radio and working brakes! This week the car I was driving didn’t have any keys — just a start button. It was basically like driving a space ship.

This is what driving in space looks like.

This is what driving in space looks like.

2. So, you guys know I love my Fitbit, right? I mean, I don’t love it enough to actually do my 10,000 steps every single day. (I tend to do like a billion steps one day, and then sit on my couch for the next two to three days, recovering.) But, whatever, I still love it.

Anyway, this week, Fitbit gave me Monarch Migration Badge, which means I’ve walked 2,500 miles so far — the same distance a monarch butterfly migrates each year. At first I was super proud of myself, but then I realized that in two years I’ve walked the same amount of miles that a teeny tiny insect flies in two months.

So, in other words, I suck.

3. My fall-inspired attempt to BAKE ALL THE PUMPKIN THINGS continues. Last night, I made these pumpkin muffins. Because that’s what everyone does on a Saturday night, right? Bakes muffins? (Don’t answer that.)

Just another crazy Saturday night.

Just another crazy Saturday night.

I’m thinking next up might have to be something savory. Like a pumpkin soup or curry. Got any recipe suggestions?

4. It’s not made out of pumpkin, but this avocado bread sounds SO CRAZY IT JUST MIGHT WORK.

5. And in News About My Life Which Illustrates Just Exactly How Horrible I Am At Being An Adult, I finally started contributing to a 401K this week. I know most people my age started doing this about fifteen to twenty years ago. But fifteen to twenty years ago, I was too busy working two jobs, so that I could afford to quit those two jobs and up and move to a foreign country.

I feel like such a responsible adult person right now. I should probably go out and do something terribly irresponsible and ridiculous to counter-balance it all — like quit my job and move to another foreign country. Or maybe just buy myself some adult-sized jelly shoes.

6. Speaking of being a horrible adult person, this article on why you’re doing something wrong if you have any savings in your twenties is like reading the exact inner-thoughts of my twenty-year-old self. Basically, I was an idiot — a really broke idiot who bought a lot of things she couldn’t afford. I mean, I was living in Washington, DC, working two jobs, barely able to pay rent, and, yet, I would still shop at Whole Foods despite the fact that I had no business buying artisan frozen pizzas.

I’m just glad the Internet wasn’t alive back then like it is today, or else I would have written a lot of stuff like this to justify my spending habits: “When you live your life by numbers, you strip yourself of poetry.”

I mean, that’s lovely, but WHAT THE WHAT???

7. Need a little kick in the pants to travel solo? This list of lady travelers might help.

8. Need a little kick in the pants to do everything else you want to do but can’t seem to do? Read this.

Especially this: “There is no magical, perfect version of you waiting in the future. You are here. This is all you have. Live exactly the way you want to live, starting right now.”

9. So I kind of have a problem right now. I have five unread books on my bedside table (and at least another five unread books on my Kindle) and I am not feeling ANY of them.

I read a lot of thrillery stuff this summer — like Girl on the Train and Luckiest Girl Alive and The Good Girl. (Apparently, all the thrillers I read need the word “girl” in the title. Not sure why.)

But now I’m feeling like I need to read something a bit heavier — you know, to go with the weather. I just downloaded this historical novel. Do you have any other suggestions?

10. Umm, it’s a t-shirt that has two of my favorite things on it: cats and punctuation.

NEED IT.

Other items I obviously need: this cat-shaped egg mold.

That’s all, friends. Send your pumpkin recipes/book suggestions here, and have a great week!

1. On September 20, 2015 at 2:52 pm Priya said:

I”ve been reading a lot of chick lit as of late so that won’t go with your heavy reading. But I have been meaning to read Girl on the Train. also, congrats on being an adult! I plan on being one of those one of these days 🙂
    Priya recently posted..Grand Canyon First Impression

• On September 20, 2015 at 6:42 pm Sally said:

I heard a lot of people hated “Girl on the Train,” but I liked it. The characters are not particularly like-able (in fact, they’re pretty horrible). But it’s very engrossing (read: you will HAVE TO stay up until 3 AM reading it even though you have to be at work in 8 AM).

2. On September 20, 2015 at 3:09 pm Rebecca said:

I am the world’s laziest cook, so I always find the easiest and/or quickest way to make things at least closely resembling something I’d like to eat. What passes for Pumpkin Soup in any kitchen I happen to be in is made like this:

Pour one can – regular or giant sized – of pumpkin purée into a pot big enough to hold it. These cans are most often found in the baking section, rather than the canned vegetable section. Do NOT get the pumpkin pie mix by mistake. If you do, just make a pie, it doesn’t make a good soup.

Add as much chicken broth and milk or cream until you get a color/consistency you like. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Yes, it’s haphazard, but it’s always good. Though if you go too light by adding too much cream or milk, the pumpkin taste won’t be as strong. Still not bad, imo. Certainly edible, in any case.

I’m in Los Angeles, and the temps will be in the 80s all week. But I bought a small can yesterday, myself. If you find something else easy, please let us know. Good luck!
    Rebecca recently posted..Santa Barbara

• On September 20, 2015 at 6:41 pm Sally said:

This sounds exactly like my kind of recipe! Namely, because it uses very little dishes. My whole goal in life is to dirty as few dishes as humanly possible when making a meal.

• On September 21, 2015 at 3:54 am Rebecca said:

Tell me about it. Just today, I chopped a hunk of kielbasa right into a bowl, sliced it up, poured red beans out of a can on top of it and stuck it in the microwave.

I’ve even taken to dumping most of a bag of spinach into a big bowl of egg salad, and sticking it in the fridge. In the mornings, I put two slices of precooked bacon in the microwave for about 20 seconds on a salad plate, then spoon some egg/spinach mixture into a wheat wrap and peel a big naval orange.

I just sponge the plate, spoon and knife off when I’m done and use them the next day. The egg salad is my breakfast for several days, so I don’t have to wash that bowl for close to a week.

I’m lucky I don’t mind eating the same thing over and over again. I get a baked chicken at the grocery store and eat it cold after the first day, with zucchini and yellow squash that I’ve cooked in a big pan in the oven. Although I do warm them up to go with the cold chicken.

This is pretty much what I live on. The pumpkin soup and a couple of tuna snack packs with crackers are the kind of things I throw in for a little variety. Oh, and sweet potatoes. I have small ones for a snack in the afternoon, healthy carbs for a pick me up.

Anyway, what all this means is that I basically just cook – if you can call it that, once a week. Works for me.

3. On September 20, 2015 at 5:02 pm Molly said:

I have 3 pairs of the Melissa Ultragirl shoes and several other Melissa styles too. I just like jellies, ok? I’m totally a responsible adult! Or not… haha

In the past week I have managed to buy pumpkin pie ice cream, pumpkin spice cider & pumpkin ale and am probably going to come down with a case of pumpkin spice-itis.

4. On September 20, 2015 at 7:51 pm Ellen said:

If you’re looking for some historical fiction, how about Elizabeth Gaskell?