Random Stuff List

September 13, 2015

10452943_10154262552254358_2371623546976834347_o - Copy

Hey, you know how almost every week, I write a random stuff list, and I’m like, “Okay, you guys, next week I’m totally going to write a real post and not just another random stuff list,” and you’re like, “Uh huh, sure you will.”

Yeah that.

Moving on… here’s another random stuff list!

(I promise next week there WILL be a real post. REALLY.)

1. It was my very first week back at school this week. Admittedly, I wasn’t particularly looking forward to going back to work  after my summer break. Not having to wear real pants for two whole months will do that to a girl.

But as soon as I got back in the classroom I remembered how much I really enjoy my job. Especially the fact that I have a room full of people who are basically required to be nice to me and laugh at all my lame jokes because I will fail them if they don’t.

It really is the best. You should try it sometime.

2. Because I am a big, fat dork and lists are my life, at the beginning of each semester, I make up a list of goals for myself. It’s kind of like new year’s resolutions. But you only have to stick to them for the length of one semester — about 4 months.

In other words: I AM A GENIUS.

My fall resolutions include not gossiping at work (it’s possible I’ve broken this one already), getting in at least 10,000 steps each day (surprisingly easy to do when all of your classes are in different buildings across campus) and actually having a social life (rather than my sitting-on-my-couch-binge-watching-Netflix-with-my-cat life).

As for the last resolution, I’m proud to report that I’ve already gone to two happy hours this week. And one of those happy hours included drinks with fruit floating in them. It’s like I’m a character in Sex in the City.

Except without the sex.

Or the city, really.

Happy hour!

Happy hour!

3. Another one of my fall semester resolutions is to do something writerly each week in the hopes that it will inspire me to actually work on my non-blog writing. So I’ve been researching a whole bunch of readings and writing groups and workshops in the area.

This weekend I went to a memoir-writing workshop. I even surprised myself by reading something out loud. In front of strangers! And it was something I had written in twenty minutes and hadn’t spent two years hemming and hawing over every little preposition.

And, best of all, they laughed! And told me it was really good!

And then I came home and was like, “I’m totally going to finish that piece I started in the workshop.”

And then, instead, I watched an episode of Project Runway and finished a box of cookies.

Baby steps, my friends, baby steps.

4. I know I was just screaming last week about how it’s fall and I love fall and FALL FALL FALL FALL.

But, you guys, FALL!

It even got chilly enough this week for me to wear my pink, fluffy slippers.

11953350_10154265004589358_1129609230136012887_o - Copy

Yay!

I am THIS CLOSE to pulling the big, huge, plastic bin of turtleneck sweaters down from the top shelf of my closet. But I know if I do that I’ll end up with a big, huge, plastic bin of turtleneck sweaters in the middle of my bedroom which I will trip over for two weeks until I get around to putting them on hangers.

I’ve also been cooking up fall foods like it’s my job. Yesterday, it was a massive pot full of turkey chili (made while drinking pumpkin beer of course).

11950216_10154267546824358_3033667269029615334_o - Copy

Turkey chili & pumpkin beer. FALL FALL FALL FALL!

And this morning it was these silver dollar pumpkin pancakes. Except mine were not silver-dollar-sized. Mine were more like size-of-my-hand-sized. Because, seriously, who has time to sit around making billions of teeny-tiny pancakes, when you could be chowing down on big hand-sized pancakes?

Word of warning: that recipe makes a LOT of pancakes.

Word of warning: that recipe makes a LOT of pancakes.

5. I love this post by Joy the Baker about her daydream dream job.

What would your daydream dream job be?

My daydream dream jobs would be: famous author (duh), pie shop/cafe owner (of course, in this daydream I’m able to wake up before ten without wanting to hurt people), nun (mostly because I think I’d look pretty smoking hot in a habit… and, yes, I realize this is not a good reason to commit myself to the nunhood) and big-time lawyer (only because I’ve binge-watched so many episodes of The Good Wife that I find myself shouting out things like “Objection, your honor, badgering the witness!” in the middle of a normal conversation.

6. So, according to research most people don’t feel like adults until they’re 29.

Umm, you guys, I’m ten years older than that and I still feel like a kid. I thought that surely by now I’d be wearing lipstick like a grown woman and be walking around having conversations with words like “actionable” and “itemized deductions.”

Uhh, nope.

#lipglossforlife

7. Have you seen the horrible, garbage-video by the horrible garbage-person, Nicole Arbour, called “Dear Fat People”? (If you haven’t, do yourself a favor, and do NOT watch it. It’s pretty much the worst.)

As horrible and garbagey as that video is, I love this response to it by Lindy West on The Guardian.

Particularly this:

“You know what, Nicole? I fight for you… I fight for you even when you are cruel, even when you are making money off the back of fat people’s pain, even when you refuse to fight for me. Because I know that it is hard to have a body, that insecurities make us mean, and that male approval can be a comfortable harbour while it lasts.”

8. On a related (but less horrible and garbagey) note, Japan has a new plus-size magazine and it’s awesome.

Although I’m not so sure I’d want to call myself a “marshmallow girl.”

9. Also in Japan news: this city in Japan has an online mapping tool that shows you the sites of the city from a cat’s viewpoint.

It’s basically Google Street View. But by cats.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I NEED TO MOVE BACK TO JAPAN.

10. Also in cat news: You can now get a monthly subscription box full of cat stuff, including cat-themed t-shirts, jewelry and home decor. Of course, it’s called the Cat Lady Box. And, of course, I NEED IT IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW.

How was your week? Have any random stuff you’d like to share with me? (And I promise I’ll have a real post up next week. PROMISE.)

1. On September 13, 2015 at 2:54 pm deb denchd said:

Random stuff is one of my favorite things. Please don’t apologize for writing it. Keep up the good work! Deb

2. On September 13, 2015 at 4:15 pm Priya said:

I’m all about pink, fluffy slippers. I should get me a pair. 🙂
    Priya recently posted..9 Reasons Why A City Girl Will Die In The Outback

3. On September 13, 2015 at 4:16 pm Alisa said:

I laughed pretty hard about your nun-life dream job. I read it to my mom and she did not find it as funny as I did.
    She told me I need to spend less time on the internet.
    Not sure how awesome blog posts involving nun dreams mean I should get off the internet, they are why people are on the internet in the first place. 🙂
    Alisa recently posted..Photo Sunday: I Got a HOPE!

4. On September 13, 2015 at 7:58 pm JessieV said:

I need to move back to Japan. YES. This. Let’s go – I miss it!
    JessieV recently posted..Where to stay in St John’s, Newfoundland

• On September 20, 2015 at 10:12 am Sally said:

I’m hoping to take a trip there soon — either next summer or winter after that. (Got to pay my credit cards off before I start racking them up again!) You’re welcome to come!

5. On September 14, 2015 at 4:10 pm nadira said:

I look forward to random stuff list! I kind of lose focus while reading a full length mono subject article and random things starts popping into my head.
    As for dream job, I would love to be a baker but the bakery that I work will be a special one. It will operate only from 11am to 5pm. Also it would give its employees a month long vacation following a three months work period. And provide enough money so they can travel around the whole world during their time off.

6. On September 14, 2015 at 4:11 pm nadira said:

Oh and the happy hour photo looks weird!

7. On September 14, 2015 at 6:18 pm Jenny said:

Excellent random stuff! You had me at ‘Happy Hour’ and ‘Turkey chili’. These are two things I can definitely get behind…
    Jenny recently posted..Eating Playa del Carmen

8. On September 14, 2015 at 8:10 pm Paula said:

My boyfriend and I are making turkey chili tomorrow. Well, he’s going to make and I’m going to watch. Yay for Fall food! And yes #lipglossforlife!
    Paula recently posted..What I want to see in Season nine of Doctor Who

9. On September 14, 2015 at 9:14 pm Jen said:

“Umm, you guys, I’m ten years older than that and I still feel like a kid.”

I can so relate to this and I’ve got 6 years on you!! The other day I was commenting on how the people I really admire in my field were all retiring and it was freaking me out because who will be left to look up to and learn from? My friend said “because you are one of the ones in the field people look up to and learn from” and I was all “but I’m still learning and I do not have it together…blah blah blah”. Same reaction as when one of my best staff members told me I was his mentor. I was completely shocked. It’s nice to know that people might look up to you and learn from you but it’s kind of hard to believe when you still feel like a kid.

• On September 20, 2015 at 10:10 am Sally said:

I’m lucky in that I work with people who are, for the most part, considerably older than me. Always makes me feel like a spring chicken when they’re talking about stuff from the 60’s and I have no idea what they’re talking about! But I dread the day they start to retire, and new, younger people are hired and I’ll be one of the oldies. I may have to move on when that happens!

10. On September 14, 2015 at 10:43 pm Ron said:

Ha! Japan made it to your list! Japan never fails to amaze me in terms of total randomness too! haha.
    Ron recently posted..Five Things In Your Apartment You Should Start Taking Seriously

11. On September 16, 2015 at 2:08 pm Daina said:

Cat Lady Box is hilarious! And you are so lucky to love your job…
    Daina recently posted..Japanese Garden in Grand Rapids’ Frederik Meijer Gardens

• On September 20, 2015 at 10:07 am Sally said:

To be honest, I wouldn’t say I “love” my job. Like any job, there are a lot of politics and other things that I don’t particularly enjoy. Plus, I don’t feel it’s necessarily healthy to love your job. But I do very much like my job. And I realize I’m quite lucky for that.

12. On September 26, 2015 at 9:39 am Safia Miletus | Vagabondesss said:

As soon as I saw a cat, I knew I had to click on this post!!!
    Safia Miletus | Vagabondesss recently posted..Free Like a Bird