Hey, you know how almost every week, I write a random stuff list, and I’m like, “Okay, you guys, next week I’m totally going to write a real post and not just another random stuff list,” and you’re like, “Uh huh, sure you will.”
Moving on… here’s another random stuff list!
(I promise next week there WILL be a real post. REALLY.)
1. It was my very first week back at school this week. Admittedly, I wasn’t particularly looking forward to going back to work after my summer break. Not having to wear real pants for two whole months will do that to a girl.
But as soon as I got back in the classroom I remembered how much I really enjoy my job. Especially the fact that I have a room full of people who are basically required to be nice to me and laugh at all my lame jokes because I will fail them if they don’t.
It really is the best. You should try it sometime.
2. Because I am a big, fat dork and lists are my life, at the beginning of each semester, I make up a list of goals for myself. It’s kind of like new year’s resolutions. But you only have to stick to them for the length of one semester — about 4 months.
In other words: I AM A GENIUS.
My fall resolutions include not gossiping at work (it’s possible I’ve broken this one already), getting in at least 10,000 steps each day (surprisingly easy to do when all of your classes are in different buildings across campus) and actually having a social life (rather than my sitting-on-my-couch-binge-watching-Netflix-with-my-cat life).
As for the last resolution, I’m proud to report that I’ve already gone to two happy hours this week. And one of those happy hours included drinks with fruit floating in them. It’s like I’m a character in Sex in the City.
Except without the sex.
Or the city, really.
3. Another one of my fall semester resolutions is to do something writerly each week in the hopes that it will inspire me to actually work on my non-blog writing. So I’ve been researching a whole bunch of readings and writing groups and workshops in the area.
This weekend I went to a memoir-writing workshop. I even surprised myself by reading something out loud. In front of strangers! And it was something I had written in twenty minutes and hadn’t spent two years hemming and hawing over every little preposition.
And, best of all, they laughed! And told me it was really good!
And then I came home and was like, “I’m totally going to finish that piece I started in the workshop.”
And then, instead, I watched an episode of Project Runway and finished a box of cookies.
Baby steps, my friends, baby steps.
4. I know I was just screaming last week about how it’s fall and I love fall and FALL FALL FALL FALL.
But, you guys, FALL!
It even got chilly enough this week for me to wear my pink, fluffy slippers.
I am THIS CLOSE to pulling the big, huge, plastic bin of turtleneck sweaters down from the top shelf of my closet. But I know if I do that I’ll end up with a big, huge, plastic bin of turtleneck sweaters in the middle of my bedroom which I will trip over for two weeks until I get around to putting them on hangers.
I’ve also been cooking up fall foods like it’s my job. Yesterday, it was a massive pot full of turkey chili (made while drinking pumpkin beer of course).
And this morning it was these silver dollar pumpkin pancakes. Except mine were not silver-dollar-sized. Mine were more like size-of-my-hand-sized. Because, seriously, who has time to sit around making billions of teeny-tiny pancakes, when you could be chowing down on big hand-sized pancakes?
5. I love this post by Joy the Baker about her daydream dream job.
What would your daydream dream job be?
My daydream dream jobs would be: famous author (duh), pie shop/cafe owner (of course, in this daydream I’m able to wake up before ten without wanting to hurt people), nun (mostly because I think I’d look pretty smoking hot in a habit… and, yes, I realize this is not a good reason to commit myself to the nunhood) and big-time lawyer (only because I’ve binge-watched so many episodes of The Good Wife that I find myself shouting out things like “Objection, your honor, badgering the witness!” in the middle of a normal conversation.
Umm, you guys, I’m ten years older than that and I still feel like a kid. I thought that surely by now I’d be wearing lipstick like a grown woman and be walking around having conversations with words like “actionable” and “itemized deductions.”
7. Have you seen the horrible, garbage-video by the horrible garbage-person, Nicole Arbour, called “Dear Fat People”? (If you haven’t, do yourself a favor, and do NOT watch it. It’s pretty much the worst.)
As horrible and garbagey as that video is, I love this response to it by Lindy West on The Guardian.
“You know what, Nicole? I fight for you… I fight for you even when you are cruel, even when you are making money off the back of fat people’s pain, even when you refuse to fight for me. Because I know that it is hard to have a body, that insecurities make us mean, and that male approval can be a comfortable harbour while it lasts.”
8. On a related (but less horrible and garbagey) note, Japan has a new plus-size magazine and it’s awesome.
Although I’m not so sure I’d want to call myself a “marshmallow girl.”
It’s basically Google Street View. But by cats.
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I NEED TO MOVE BACK TO JAPAN.
10. Also in cat news: You can now get a monthly subscription box full of cat stuff, including cat-themed t-shirts, jewelry and home decor. Of course, it’s called the Cat Lady Box. And, of course, I NEED IT IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW.
How was your week? Have any random stuff you’d like to share with me? (And I promise I’ll have a real post up next week. PROMISE.)