Random Stuff List

June 14, 2015

2015-06-13 10.14.50

1. You guys, you guys, you guys! Yesterday, I booked all my campground reservations for a nine-day solo camping adventure in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula for this July.

I should probably mention that the longest I’ve ever stayed in a tent is two days.

Oh, and that at least one of the campgrounds that I booked has a warning on their website about bears. BEARS!

So, you know, I WILL PROBABLY DIE.

(I know I say that every time I do everything, but this time I really mean it.)

2. Also on the plan is to head back to Michigan via car ferry across Lake Michigan via Milwaukee via Wisconsin via BEERANDCHEESEANDALLTHINGSGOODINLIFE.

So if you have any suggestions for stuff I should do in the Milwaukee area, let me know. And by “stuff,” I mean “beer and cheese.” I figured you’d already know that by now, but I just wanted to clarify.

3. You know how I’m always saying I don’t have any friends? And how you’re always saying, “Well, Jesus, girl, maybe you need to change out of your pajamas and get out of the house more?” And I’m like, “You mean, wear REAL PANTS? No, thanks.”

Well, I’m happy to report I made a friend this week!

My friend is a fellow travel blogger who happens to live in Kalamazoo, who I had talked to before on Twitter, but I had no idea was in the same area, until our mutual Australian friend in Vietnam introduced us on Facebook.

Ain’t the Internet grand?

Now one of these days I may actually attend a Meet Up, like I keep threatening to do.

(Gah! Don’t make me do it!)

4. Okay, so I’ve finally jumped on the overnight oats bandwagon. Are we all doing this yet?

I was a bit skeptical at first because all the recipes I looked at kept on including stuff like chia seeds. I have no idea what a chia seed is. Are they in any way related to Chia Pets? Is this really something we should be eating?

Also, I don’t own a single Mason jar. Which is apparently THE WAY to store your overnight oats.

But I was pleasantly surprised by the overnight oats I made, even if they were chia-seed-less and housed in a Rubbermaid container. They were super filling, which is important for me, because I teach four hours straight every morning and if I get hungry during those four hours SOMEONE WILL DIE.

And I really liked the fact that, since I prepared everything the night before, I didn’t have to do anything in the morning. I mean, I know regular non-overnight oats aren’t all that hard to make, but some mornings even operating the microwave is just, like, waaaaayyyyy too much. You know?

2015-06-09 07.09.48

My first attempt at overnight oats. And my cat’s first attempt at killing a teabag.

So, basically, I’m a convert.

I’m sure by next week, I’ll have a cupboard full of Mason jars and chia seeds. Whatever they are.

5. So, prior to Season 3 of OITNB, I was looking for something binge-worthy on Netflix.

Because goals.

I have them.

The robots at Netflix said I’d like Chasing Life, this family drama about some twenty-year-old journalist with cancer. But then again the robots at Netflix have also said I’d like some movie called Scrotal Recall.  So I’m not so sure those robots can be trusted.

I’ve since become obsessed. (With Chasing Life. Not Scrotal Recall.)

I’ve also become completely and totally convinced I have cancer. Kind of like when I watch two episodes of So You Think You Can Dance back-to-back and I convince myself I can dance.

I’m not entirely sure which one is more dangerous: to be convinced I have cancer or to be convinced I can dance. You’d probably think the cancer thing would be worse, but, then again, you’ve probably never seen me dance.

6. Umm, so, apparently, my Fitbit has been lying to me.

Not cool, Fitbit. Not cool.

Don’t stick your tongue out at me, ya little liar.

7. Umm, you guys, WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT CATCON??? Seriously. I feel really let down right now that this happened without me.

8. I found this article on the history of the crazy cat lady really interesting:

“The cat lady is and has always deviated from the norm. It is this deviation that made her a goddess, this deviation that made her a target, and this deviation that makes her so intriguing.”

Do you hear that, you guys? I AM AN INTRIGUING GODDESS, OKAY???

9. Also, I need to visit this cat library. And take this cat yoga class.

10. And I will do all of that while wearing this t-shirt. And possibly these socks.

Well, hello there, friends. How was your week? Do you have Milwaukee suggestions/overnight oat recipes/binge-worthy Netflix shows/cat links to share with me?? I really hope you do!

1. On June 14, 2015 at 12:37 pm Kate Greulich said:

Enjoy the UP! I just came back from PIctured Rocks and the bears were pretty chill–we didn’t see any 🙂 To what part of the UP are you headed?

• On June 14, 2015 at 12:44 pm Sally said:

I’m also heading to Pictured Rocks. And Tahquamenon Falls and Porcupine Mountains (that’s where the website said there would be BEARS). Did you do a boat tour of Pictured Rocks?

• On June 14, 2015 at 12:50 pm Kate Greulich said:

Nice! We are planning on the Porcupine Mountains next summer; looking forward to your post! Bear mace will be necessary!
        We didn’t take the boat tour, but we hiked the North Country Trail from Grand Marais to Munising. It follows the lakeshore there, and gives some astonishing views. I’ll have pictures up on my blog by the end of the week; stop by if you’re in need of some inspiration. Cheers to you for going solo!
        Kate Greulich recently posted..The Breath of Boston

• On June 14, 2015 at 4:58 pm Sally said:

Thanks for the suggestion on the Trail. I’m staying new Munising, so maybe I’ll try to hike it from that direction. I was also thinking about doing a boat tour. I especially want to do the glass bottom boat tour of the shipwrecks. It looks so cool & creepy!

• On June 16, 2015 at 7:23 am Pam Wilkins said:

Definitely do a boat tour. A friend and I did the sunset cruise to see the cliffs from the water, and the next day we did a ten mile hike, much of which was at the top of the cliffs. Just glorious.

Please post about the Porcupine Mountains. I’m dying to go there, except BEARS.

• On June 16, 2015 at 7:38 am Sally said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you know the name of the hike you did? Now, I’m a bit worried that I won’t have enough time there to do ALL THE THINGS. I’m planning to be there 3 nights. Do you think that’s enough?
            And, yeah, BEARS.

• On June 16, 2015 at 7:11 pm Pam Wilkins said:

The hike we did was called Chapel Loop, and apparently it’s one of the more popular hikes. I found it in a book entitled Hiking Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, by Eric Hansen. I think portions of the hike are part of the North Trail.

Oh, and my friend and I only spent two days. I’m dying to go back, but my sense is that three days should give you a nice taste of things. Have a blast!

• On June 17, 2015 at 9:31 pm Sally said:

Thanks so much for the suggestion & I’m glad to hear 3 days isn’t too short. I keep on reminding myself that I can always go back if need be.

2. On June 14, 2015 at 1:01 pm JessieV said:

I LOVE new friends – YAY US!! and cats. and we tried overnight oats with regular oats and it was a paste mess. Now the steel cut? yum. check out orangette’s recipe, swoon.

I have a mason jar with your name on it – will bring Thurs. 🙂 OR Should we meet again before then?
    JessieV recently posted..#StudyAbroadBecause It Makes the World a Better Place

• On June 14, 2015 at 4:59 pm Sally said:

I tried it with regular old-fashioned oats, and it seemed fine. Maybe I don’t have a very dignified palate? But I have heard the steel cut oats are good. And thanks for the promise of a Mason Jar.
      Oh, also, I LOVE the Orangette. Have you read her book? It’s the only recipe book I’ve ever read from cover to cover. And then I didn’t make a single one of the recipes. But her writing is so wonderful.

3. On June 14, 2015 at 1:04 pm JessieV said:

More goodness for Milwaukee – alterra coffee!! the art center with wings!
    JessieV recently posted..#StudyAbroadBecause It Makes the World a Better Place

4. On June 14, 2015 at 2:45 pm Penguinlady said:

Ok, don’t fear the chia. I throw them and some ground flax into my overnight oats and get all my healthy crap over and done with at breakfast. And chia pudding is surprisingly good. If you’ve ever had boba tea, you can handle the texture of chia. Next you’ll start putting flax and chia into kefir and then all hell will break loose.

• On June 14, 2015 at 5:00 pm Sally said:

In my KEFIR? What the what is that?

• On June 16, 2015 at 12:48 pm Penguinlady said:

Kefir is a lot like a yogurt smoothie. I think it’s fermented yogurt, rather than cultured. It tastes so similar, with maybe the slightest sour aftertaste. Adding the chia and flax is supposed to be super healthy. Anything so I have a chance of keeping up with my almost-4 twins!

5. On June 14, 2015 at 3:52 pm Rose said:

You should totally check out “banana nut porridge” from Against All Grain. It’s like overnight oats because you soak the nuts overnight but it doesn’t have any grains. It’s super yummy and really filling and would be awesome mixed with overnight oats. You’re welcome.

6. On June 14, 2015 at 3:57 pm Priya said:

I went to Milwaukee once for a day trip and ended up going to the zoo. I liked the zoo. there were elephants. And I like elephants. That’s my suggestion. You’re welcome.
    Priya recently posted..Getting My Ethiopian Food On – Vegetarian Style

7. On June 14, 2015 at 10:12 pm Barbara said:

I can’t believe it took me so long to notice you two lovelies live in the same town! I’m so glad you hit it off.
    Barbara recently posted..The Ultimate Easy Rider Central Highlands Road Trip

8. On June 15, 2015 at 2:26 pm MomQueenBee said:

Okay, concerning the Netflix recommendations (since I have absolutely no meaningful input on the overnight oats): Luther. The Fall. Prime Suspect. Last Tango in Halifax. Midsomer Murders. Endeavour. Broadchurch. Gracepoint.

Hmmm…I think I’m revealing my tastes. But really–Luther. I mean it.

• On June 15, 2015 at 9:06 pm Sally said:

Wow! Thank you for all the suggestions! I just got to get through OITNB and the rest of Chasing Life and I’ll be ready for some more binge-watching goodness.

9. On June 15, 2015 at 2:49 pm Kyla said:

Lakefront Brewery is kind of a Milwaukee staple, and the tours are good, plus you get free beer samples with the tour. 🙂

And pretty much any American food restaurant/pub will have deep fried cheese curds, try AJ Bombers or Jackson’s Blue Ribbon Pub for good food and cheese curds.

10. On June 15, 2015 at 6:22 pm Wensday said:

You’ll have a ton of fun!! Camping is the best thing in the world. I’m 43 single gal and I have an A-liner camping trailer. I go camping allll the time on my own with the dog. I still find it odd that people always offer to ‘help me’ set up camp. I wouldn’t go if I didn’t know what I was doing!! I always get told how brave I am. I just see it as doing something fun. The only time something is scary is the unknown. When you’ve done it, its no longer scary! Have fun!!

• On June 15, 2015 at 9:05 pm Sally said:

WHAAA? People offer to help you set up? I’ve gone solo camping a few times in the past year, and no one ever offers to help me! I must look like I really know what I’m doing. Or like I might be an ax murderer. Probably that second one.

1. unbrave girlRandom Stuff List - unbrave girl