1. This week I started my first week of teaching summer classes. I don’t know why this is, but the first week and last week of classes are always the looooonnngggest weeks of classes ever. Oh, and the weeks right before a holiday. And the weeks after a holiday. And, okay, maybe ALL THE WEEKS.
But, I think it’s a bad sign that I’ve already started telling myself “Six more weeks until my summer break.”
But, you guys, SIX MORE WEEKS UNTIL MY SUMMER BREAK!
2. On Friday night, I went to go see Failure Lab in Grand Rapids. It’s this story-telling performance, where all the stories people tell are about a personal failure. Now, I know this sounds super depressing, but it was actually super inspiring and entertaining. Oh, and there was free raspberry cider, so that was a success in my book.
3. Seeing as I only have SIX MORE WEEKS UNTIL MY SUMMER BREAK, I’m starting to
plan think really hard about how I’m going to be spending my time off. So I found this list of 50 Things to do in Michigan Before You Die super helpful.
Also, this list of Michigan festivals. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Michigan has a crazy number of festivals. I mean, there’s everything from a fish rodeo to a Buttermilk Jamboree. Not to mention the countless fruit and vegetable festivals, including, of course, the asparagus festival.
4. Speaking of fun things to do in Michigan, my friend, Katie Aune, wrote all about our trip to Binder Park Zoo when she came to visit me the other weekend. Including exactly how hard it is to take a giraffe selfie.
The struggle is real, you guys.
5. As a lady who loves to travel and do other things on her own and as a lady who loves cute kitty-cat-themed accessories, I love these cat-shaped self defense keychains.
Except apparently they’re illegal in Michigan, and I am not a lady who loves jail.
6. Speaking of doing things alone, my friend introduced me to the term “rotic” this week. Which means “romantic without the man.” (Get it???) As in, “I took myself on a rotic date this weekend.”
You guys, how have I not heard this term before. I LOVE it. And will continue to use it forever and ever, or until I actually start going on romantic dates with men. So, in other words, I’m never going to stop using this word.
As you may recall, a few years ago, I quit my job to travel the “world” (i.e. Southeast Asia), and I lasted exactly one year. In addition to running out of moneys, I realized that I’m way too much of a homebody to not have a home. While I respect the people I’ve met who pursue this type of lifestyle, I know I couldn’t do it. I need my own couch, people!
8. Umm, so have we all seen the trailer for the new Jem and the Holograms, movie?
What the actual fuck, you guys?
I mean, WHERE ARE THE HOLOGRAMS??? You can’t have holograms in the title and totally leave them out of the movie!
Also, where are Jem’s star-shaped earrings? You guys, those earrings were seriously the best. You can’t have Jem without those earrings! There’s going to be a whole generation of tweenage girls who will watch this movie and not know of the awesomeness of star-shaped earrings! That, my friends, is an atrocity.
(P.S. I’m totally going to watch this movie when it comes out because I am fourteen years old. I don’t care.)
9. So, apparently, cat purrs can possibly cure broken bones. I’ll try to remember my cat’s curative powers the next time she jumps on my head at five o’clock in the morning.
10. This post of women dropping polite hints in Western Art history is heee-lar-ious. I just thought you should know.
What’s up, folks? How was your week?