That Time I Was Tricked into being a Ghostbuster in San Antonio

April 23, 2015

I truly believe there are 2 types of friends in this world:

1. Friends who will not try to trick you into staying in a haunted hotel. Probably because they know you will try to kill them if they do.

2. Friends who totally will try to trick you into staying in a haunted hotel. Probably because they’re so secure in their friendship with you that they just assume you won’t try to kill them when you find out you just got tricked into staying in a haunted hotel.

My friend who I was visiting in Texas is the latter.

Of course, I didn’t know that until after she had almost tricked me into staying in a haunted hotel.

We were booking our hotel for our overnight trip to San Antonio, when she asked me if I’d want to stay in the Menger Hotel. She described it as a famous, old hotel in downtown San Antonio. Mind you, she did not mention it is famous BECAUSE GHOSTS.

Luckily for me, the hotel was already all booked up for the night we were going to be in town. Because, apparently, the world is full of people tricking their friends into staying in haunted hotels.

We, instead, booked a room at a chain hotel which I’m pretty sure wasn’t haunted, but was full of loud, obnoxious high school basketball players, so maybe we should have gone with haunted.

Of course, I didn’t know my friend had almost tricked me into staying in a haunted hotel until after she tricked me into going on a ghost tour.

Well, she didn’t exactly trick me into that one. I agreed to do the ghost tour. But I was expecting just your ordinary ghost tour. You know, with some guide dressed in old-timey clothes, spouting off some spooky stories he had found on the Internet or something like that.

Instead we signed up to go on a “Ghost Hunt,” with a guy who actually hunts down ghosts for a living. There was even ghost hunting equipment, including electro-magnetic field detectors and these temperature gun-thingies.

Hunting ghosts in downtown San Antonio

Hunting ghosts in downtown San Antonio

I mean this was some real Ghostbuster stuff, you guys.

It was on the tour that I was told the Menger hotel was haunted. And not just any kind of haunted. But, like, crazy haunted. In fact, it’s been called “The Most Haunted Hotel in Texas,” complete with thirty-some different spirits all up in the place.

Not that the Menger is the only haunted hotel in town. According to our guide almost all the hotels in town are haunted.

The Emily Morgan Hotel. Another crazy-haunted hotel in San Antonio.

The Emily Morgan Hotel. Another crazy-haunted hotel in San Antonio.

Along with the Alamo.

The Alamo. Or "Total Ghost Hang Out" as I call it.

The Alamo. Or “Total Ghost Hang Out” as I call it.

And the mall food court.

And pretty much all of San Antonio.

Despite all the billions of ghosts running around town and our super-duper Ghostbuster gear, we didn’t run into any ghosts.

Which I have to say I was pretty grateful about.

But that didn’t stop my friend from showing me each and every picture she’d taken during the tour, asking me, “Do you see a ghost face in this picture? I think I see a ghost face in this picture. THERE IS TOTALLY A GHOST FACE IN THIS PICTURE”

Because that’s just the kind of friend she is.

Have you ever been on a ghost tour? Did you see ghosts? Did you almost die of a heart attack? Because I’m pretty sure that’s what would have happened to me.

1. On April 24, 2015 at 12:50 pm Amanda said:

I’ve visited a few haunted places, but I’ve done a “ghost tour.” I really want to though! I think I’ll plan one this year!

• On April 25, 2015 at 11:31 am Sally said:

I’ve done a lot of ghost tours, actually, despite being a total scaredy cat. But they’re usually just a spooky-version of a walking tour. This was the first time I actually went searching for ghosts! So scary!

2. On April 25, 2015 at 4:19 pm Priya said:

When I was in college and staying in a dorm, I kind of did a ghost tour that the RA organized. It wasn’t scary, just a lot of creepy information about stuff that happened.
    Priya recently posted..Confession: I’m Delighted To Know That The Guy Who Once Stood Me Up Is Now Fat

3. On April 25, 2015 at 10:36 pm The Cranky Traveler said:

I’ve never been to one of those but sound like fun. Actually a few years ago I went to that haunted penitentiary in Philly for halloween. It was packed with people for a halloween party thing going on and so much annoyance that I think ghosts were like, “screw this crap, posers!”
    The Cranky Traveler recently posted..Cologne – Carnival 2014

• On April 26, 2015 at 9:47 am Sally said:

The haunted penitentiary sounds fun (and by “fun” I mean “terrifying”), but I think I would also go crazy if surrounded by a huge crowd of Halloween partyers. I can’t blame the ghosts for bailing!

4. On May 10, 2015 at 11:55 pm Choi Kum Fook said:

I have not seen ghost in my life time. Do you think there have Ghost,Miss Sally? Have you seen it? Most people usually due to psychological effect and have some eyes or sight sickness.

• On May 11, 2015 at 7:26 am Sally said:

I haven’t seen a ghost either, but I don’t not believe in them. I think there’s a possibility they exist — and I certainly don’t want to make any of them mad at me by not believing in them!

5. On May 15, 2015 at 9:47 am Ceri said:

I would kill my friend for that. I find the whole ghost thing really interesting but not interesting enough to go on any ghost tours yet, let alone ghost hunts! My god, girl. Were you auditioning for the new all-female Ghostbusters movie?
    Ceri recently posted..Thoughts From the North of South Korea

6. On September 28, 2015 at 9:56 am Poorva said:

Sitting in the office, trying not to burst out laugh, is a very difficult thing.
    I can totally identify with your point of view expressed in this post. Unfortunately, I believe 99.9%of my friends fall into the second category, along with my family and relatives. The only time nobody tries to scare me is when I am alone…but then I do that job admirably well myself!
    Contrary to my nature of being scared of the dark and not *not* believing in ghosts, I would quite like to go on a ghost-tour (though I would probably run away screaming in the middle of the tour). Hmm, sounds like fun. Unfortunately, I doubt there are any such tours in my country. Oh, well.

• On September 28, 2015 at 9:09 pm Sally said:

I think the key to the ghost tour is to go on the earliest one so it’s still relatively light out. And do not go on the one that winds through a cemetery and then ends really far from your car and you have to run back to your car as fast as humanly possible so the ghosts don’t get you. Not that I would know anything about that.

7. On September 28, 2015 at 9:58 am Poorva said:

Do excuse me for my typos.
    *Sitting in the office, trying not to burst out laughing as I read your post, is a very difficult thing.
    There.