Random Stuff List

April 26, 2015

2015-04-25 08.40.54

1. You guys, I’m exactly one week away from my big FIRST-EVER-IN-FIVE-BILLION-YEARS 5K. And I’m feeling like I might actually, maybe, kind of survive it… maybe?

I’ve spent the past two weeks doing my training runs around the campus where I work, which is ridiculously hilly and horrible and makes me swear a lot under my breath. But I haven’t once fallen over and I must kind of look like I know what I’m doing as none of the students have stopped me to ask me if I’m lost or having a heart attack. Although I’m sure they wanted to a few times.

So, yeah, maybe I’ll be okay?

Maybe?

PLEASE TELL ME I’LL BE OKAY.

2. Friday was THE LAST DAY OF CLASSES FOR THE SEMESTER !!!!

For exactly two weeks. And then the summer semester will start up and I’ll have classes again.

But, whatever, THE LAST DAY OF CLASSES FOR THE SEMESTER!!!!

Which means that my students spent the day plying me with homemade sweets in a last ditch effort to get me to give them good grades. Because apparently they think I can be bribed with cake.

(I CAN TOTALLY BE BRIBED WITH CAKE.)

Cake!

Cake!

I also got this super cute hand-carved kitty from a Mexican student. This is the second time a student has given me a cat knick-knack. So, basically, even my students know I’m a crazy cat lady. I can not say that I’m surprised by that.

Cat!

Cat!

3. Last weekend, I booked my first two solo camping trips of the season. Both of the places I booked don’t have any electricity hook-up.

Like, NONE AT ALL NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT.

Which meant I promptly ordered a rechargeable air mattress pump and phone charger. Because, I’m all about roughing it in the wilds of Michigan, but not without my double-tall air mattress and my Instagram. No ways.

And, now to see if they sell a rechargeable coffee machine. That probably exists, right?

4. You know how I went to Detroit and totally fell in love with the city and you guys were all like “Umm, what now?”

Tell it, Detroit.

In case I didn’t quite convince you of Detroit’s awesomeness, I suggest checking out National Geographic’s series on the city. Hey, if National Geographic says it’s cool, it’s got to be cool, right?

5. Speaking of National Geographic and my love of cities that everybody else likes to make fun of, my hometown of Buffalo, NY, was recently voted the fourth best food city IN THE FREAKING WORLD by the NG.

And this would be the reason why I can never fit into my pants every time I go home for a visit.

Excuse me while I EAT ALL THE WINGS.

Excuse me while I EAT ALL THE WINGS.

6. Speaking of not being able to fit into my pants, did you guys all read about this study that basically proved that exercise doesn’t help weight loss?

I guess that explains how I haven’t lost a single pound in the last three months that I’ve been training for my 5K.

Well, that and the fact that I consider Girl Scout Cookies “training food.”

7. You know, how when I was in Austin and I became obsessed with breakfast tacos. BECAUSE BREAKFAST TACOS.

Eating ALL THE BREAKFAST TACOS.

Excuse me while I eat ALL THE BREAKFAST TACOS.

Well, now I’m obsessed with this recipe for breakfast quesadillas. BECAUSE BREAKFAST QUESADILLAS.

Who wants to come to my house and make them for me? I would totally make them myself, but I’m never coordinated enough in the morning to chop vegetables.

8. This article on what plus size clothing looks like on real-live plus-size women is my favorite.

And this is why I’m so scared to buy clothes online.

And, yeah, yeah, I know I could just return it if I don’t like how it fits, but who actually returns stuff they buy online? Not me. I just keep the stuff in my closet, so I can try it on every once in a while in case my self esteem is in need of a little plummeting.

9. Apparently, funeral strippers are something that exists in China. BECAUSE CHINA.

10. You guys, there is a cat named George who can stand on two legs.

Does this make me love my cat, George, a little less because she doesn’t regularly stand on two legs.

Of course, not!

Standing on 2 legs (ish).

Standing on 2 legs (ish).

Okay, maybe a little bit.

I mean, A TWO-LEG-STANDING CAT! It’s like having a meerkat for a pet! Who doesn’t want a meerkat for a pet???

How was your week, folks? Got any fun plans for your Sunday?

1. On April 26, 2015 at 11:54 am Priya said:

Now I have a craving for quesadillas. Thanks, jerk. And I’ve been meaning to run a 5k or sign up for one or so I can force myself to, you know, learn how to run.

PS: I should come visit you. If, you know, we didn’t have that George problem, which isn’t a problem but it would be nice if she stayed in her tent while I was there. 🙂
    Priya recently posted..Confession: I’m Delighted To Know That The Guy Who Once Stood Me Up Is Now Fat

• On April 29, 2015 at 4:16 pm Sally said:

I don’t really think George is the “problem.” I think you’re irrational fear of adorable kitty-cats is the “problem.” And, anyway, if you came to visit, George would probably spend most of the time hiding under the bed because she has an irrational fear of humans that are not me. 🙂

2. On April 26, 2015 at 12:57 pm Meesh said:

you will be OK!! you will totally rock the 5K!

Just remember:
    1) the only person that you’re racing against is you.
    2) Do not get discouraged when the pregnant lady with her first child in a stroller blows by you like she’s motorized.
    3) likewise when the cryptkeeper (the 85 yr old man) blows by you on the other side
    4) a 40 minute 5K is the same as a 17 minute 5K… you still ran 5 FRICKEN K!!
    5) Bananas never taste as good as when you are handed one at the end of a race.
    6) There is no shame in wearing your medal for the rest of the day… (or at the very least all through your post race breakfast) BECAUSE MEDAL!!
    7) have your credit card at the ready, because you will have an overwhelming urge to sign up for another race the minute you get home.
    8) have FUN!! and smile! and enjoy the happy endorphins!
    Meesh recently posted..Midnight Run & Party – ’14

• On April 29, 2015 at 4:14 pm Sally said:

I used to do a lot of races in Japan (fifty billion years ago), so I’m pretty used to being beat by 85 year olds. Those Japanese octogenarians are FAST.
      Thanks for all the encouragement!

3. On April 26, 2015 at 2:13 pm Meg said:

“I just keep the stuff in my closet, so I can try it on every once in a while in case my self esteem is in need of a little plummeting.”

Oh man, I know!

I have two dresses that are so supercute on hangers, but make me look huge, and every time I decide to clean my closet and get rid of these, I see how cute they are on hangers and can’t get rid of them. Like maybe one day, I’ll suddenly look hot in them!
    Meg recently posted..Coping Skills

4. On April 27, 2015 at 12:22 am Shianne said:

You beautiful creature, you.

5. On April 27, 2015 at 2:42 am Michelle | Lights Camera Travel said:

That’s going to become my life now – breakfast quesadillas on the sofa stroking my pet meerkat.
    Michelle | Lights Camera Travel recently posted..Hakone: A Day Trip to Remember

6. On April 27, 2015 at 2:49 pm zoe said:

YOU’LL BE OKAY!!!

(Three exclamation marks means it’s really true.)
    zoe recently posted..Anzac day: it’s complicated.

7. On May 1, 2015 at 10:06 pm The Cranky Traveler said:

Oh quesadillas, yum!!
    My cat has the tendency to stand on her hind legs whenever she wants to inspect what’s on the bed. She’s adorable and also reminds me of a meerkat, ha!
    The Cranky Traveler recently posted..Cologne – Carnival 2014

• On May 4, 2015 at 8:42 am Sally said:

I’ve seen my cat stand on her legs a handful of times. And every time I see her do it, I get super excited, and think that maybe she’ll realize how adorable she looks and keep doing it but, alas, no. She seems to prefer her 4 feet.

8. On May 3, 2015 at 11:05 pm Naomi said:

There is TOTALLY a coffee machine to take camping.
    mine is in the mail, hopefully arriving this week.

best of luck with the 5K, you have to survive, what will we do without you?? Don’t think of yourself, think of us!
    Naomi recently posted..The final months of my career

9. On May 15, 2015 at 9:56 am Ceri said:

Holy god, I just read that breakfast quesadilla recipe and may have to get up and make it right this second even though it’s 11pm.
    Ceri recently posted..Thoughts From the North of South Korea