Why I’m the Worst Tourist Ever (Or “How I ended up at the Alamo tipsy.”)

April 15, 2015

0312151535-01

The plan was to go to the Alamo first as soon as we arrived in San Antonio.

And then once we’d gotten our fill of historic facts, we were going to head to the Riverwalk where we’d get our fill of tacos and tequila.

But then we spotted the huge line on the sidewalk in front of the Alamo, and we knew we’d need some reinforcements before attempting to tackle that.

And by “reinforcements” I mean “prickly pear margaritas.”

2015-03-12 14.20.33

Our “reinforcement.” It was delicious.

And that’s how I showed up at the Alamo drunk.

Or, well, two-margaritas-worth of tipsy.

Which was not entirely my fault. I mean, if you’re going to build margarita restaurants by historical places, this is just what’s going to happen. I’m going to show up drunk.

Plus, being drunk at the Alamo wasn’t entirely a bad thing.

First of all, there was the huge line outside.

All the peoples!

Which meant there was also a crazy crowd on the inside. And, well, it was much smaller in there than you’d expect for a place called the Alamo.

This would have driven me crazy if I had been sober. Because when I’m sober I kind of hate people. And I especially hate big huge crowds of people in small spaces who are making it impossible for me to see historical displays about 19th Century weapons.

But when I’m two-margaritas-worth of tipsy, I LOVE people — ALL THE PEOPLE. Even if those people are being Crowdy McCrowdersons and not letting me learn a single thing about old-timey gun powder.

So instead of trying to push people out of the way so we could nose in on the displays, we headed to the gift shop.

Where this happened.

And this.

And maybe a little bit of this.

59Naturally.

What’s the worst thing you’ve done as a tourist? (I mean “worst thing” within reason. Don’t confess murder or anything on here. I’m not ready to bail you out of jail, you guys.)

1. On April 15, 2015 at 9:34 am Mary said:

I can’t imagine how you dealt with China if you hate crowds of people! I also would be going berserk without margarita reinforcement – good call!

• On April 15, 2015 at 8:54 pm Sally said:

I know, right? I don’t know how I survived China either. (Actually, I do. I spent a LOT of time holed up in my apartment on my magnificent couch.)

2. On April 15, 2015 at 5:11 pm Priya said:

I love drunk Sally. She’s SO much fun 😉
    Priya recently posted..On Reverse Cultural Stock Or Something Like That

3. On April 15, 2015 at 10:16 pm becky hutner said:

I am afraid I can’t even say what the worst thing is but I cringe and silently apologize to the travel gods — and to Buddha — every time I think about it. Let’s just say I really had to GO in a place where no one should ever GO but without another option, I went. SORRY!!!

becky hutner recently posted..Fashion ‘Round the World: WINTER ’15

4. On April 16, 2015 at 5:36 am Mallory said:

I ran around laughing and playing at the Point de Hoc WWII site with some girl friends. We had been traveling a lot and were tired and it was a beautiful day and we were more taken with the liberating and lovely atmosphere from the cliffs than the sobering craters and ruins. Which maybe was a bad thing – particularly if you were a vet or someone you loved died there. But a part of me wonders if these sites shouldn’t be allowed to become joyful at some point.
    Mallory recently posted..April 10th

5. On April 16, 2015 at 8:19 pm Leslie in Oregon said:

I love the photos of you playing! And a prickly-pear margarita sounds very good…

6. On April 20, 2015 at 10:29 am Damon and Jo said:

Personally, we think the hat fits you well. 😛

And also, we fully agree with you – your tipsyness was not your fault – historic landmarks basically forced you to drink! Hahahaha.

Ugh…now we want to go to the Alamo and get tipsy!
    Damon and Jo recently posted..What my $1200 tiny Manhattan studio apartment looks like

7. On April 20, 2015 at 4:54 pm Amanda said:

Bahaha! Love it! I hear ya about being drunk in historical places;I’m always drunk in Old Town San Diego!
    Amanda recently posted..San Diego Zoo and Safari Park

8. On April 26, 2015 at 11:03 pm Marsha said:

I’ve always loved animals and have a degree in zoo animal care. When my girlfriend (now wife) and I went to a zoo for the first time together, I realized it was the first time I’d ever been to a zoo where I didn’t have to be on good behavior because my parents, classmates, and/or employer were not there. We were at the St. Louis zoo and they love their beer in St. Louis, so much so that you can get a 32oz stadium cup of it at the zoo for $4.00 at 10am. Breakfast beer? Yes, please. We were hammered by 10:30.

9. On May 15, 2015 at 9:37 am Ceri said:

Remind me to have a couple next time I visit an historical place. That looks like so much fun. Those last pictures made me chuckle so much.
    Ceri recently posted..Thoughts From the North of South Korea

1. unbrave girlRandom Stuff List - unbrave girl
  2. unbrave girlThat Time I Was Tricked into being a Ghostbuster in San Antonio - unbrave girl