Random Stuff List

March 29, 2015

2015-03-21 15.54.17

Hey guys, remember me?

Also remember when I used to write about things and not just stuff?

Errm, that sentence made a lot more sense in my head. But you get what I mean, right?

Anyway, I’d like to apologize for my absence as of late. And for the fact that all my posts in the past month or so have been random stuff lists.

I do actually have some posts I want to write about specific things and not just random stuff, but those posts always seem to take me a lot more time and brain power, and, well, I haven’t had a whole lot of either of those lately.

But there will be posts in the near future about things. Promise!

Until then, here’s some stuff:

1. Umm, so guess what, guys?

I went to DC last weekend! For exactly one weekend!

2015-03-21 17.31.12

It was all very whirlwindy and last minutey and expensivey. But, hey, that is what happens when your friend calls you on Tuesday and convinces you to fly halfway across the country on Friday by saying the magic words, “Don’t think about the money, think about THE FUN.”

And that is what I would like on my tombstone, folks:

“She didn’t think about the money, she thought about THE FUN. And that’s why she’s buried under a bridge and her tombstone is made out of papier mache and chicken wire.”

2. The big reason I went to DC (besides, you know, THE FUN), was to surprise my friend, who was going to be in town all the way from Australia.

In order to surprise her properly, I wasn’t allowed to say anything on the Facebook or Instagram any photos taken out of the airplane window.

2015-03-20 14.42.11

I couldn’t Instagram this.

DO YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW MUCH THIS KILLED ME?

You guys, I’m pretty sure I went through some state of withdrawal. It’s possible I started shaking.

But it was all totally worth it because when we showed up to surprise her (in bunny ears, naturally), she was totally surprised. (And envious of our bunny ears, naturally.)

2015-03-20 21.23.46

This is how my friends and I do surprises. Naturally.

3. As soon as I came home from DC, I was like “I have to stop traveling right now until I’ve paid off all my bills and become a responsible human being and blah, blah, blah.”

And then the next day I was looking into flights to Iceland.

I’m not the only one who does this, right?

(P.S. Anyone want to go to Iceland with me next January? I mean, I know it’s Iceland in January, but the flights are super cheap!)

4.You guys, have we all binge-watched Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, yet? If not, you’re going to have to start doing that, like, now already.

I made my friends watch it with me in DC because I was getting tired of saying quotes from the show and not having anyone understand what I was talking about.

Hashbrown. No filter.

(Don’t understand what I just said? Well, if you had binge-watched the show already like I told you to, you would know what I’m talking about.)

5. Also, while in DC, I got together with some of my college friends, including my freshman year roommate, who informed me that she thought I was crazy for going camping on my own and that I should really be more worried about weirdo ax-wielding wackos.

No weirdo ax-wielding wackos here!

In my tent. Waiting for the weirdo ax-wielding wackos to show up.

I had to remind her that during our freshman year of college she basically forced me to go to London with her for a summer even though I was pretty convinced we were going to die and everybody thought we were crazy.

And that, my friends, is really how I got started on this whole traveling-and-doing-things-other-people-think-are-crazy thing.

So, basically, she started it.

6. Speaking of friends forcing you to do crazy things against your will, a while back I wrote this post about pushy friends.

And then my Polish friend, Marta, who I met in Thailand, pushed my Internet-friend (and now real-life friend), Priya to move to Australia.

You guys, how cool is that?

It’s like the Circle of Life.

Or the Circle of Pushiness.

Either one, really.

7. Speaking of doing stuff alone even though other people think you’re crazy, I loved this post by Torre DeRoche about walking alone as a woman.

8. Umm, you guys, I have some kind of big time, monumental news to announce:

I have found a pair of jeans that fit!

Sure, I know this may not sound big time to most of you — or at least to those of you who haven’t spent the better part of your  lives pulling up your pants.

You see, as I have mentioned before, I have man-calves and tree-trunk-thighs, and while I have learned to accept my body the way it is, it’s pretty much impossible to find a pair of jeans that can fit over my legs and aren’t too big for my waist.

But when I was in Chicago on my way to Texas the other week, I found this pair of jeans, and you guys it’s been a revelation.

Hanging in front of the Alamo in my new jeans.

Hanging in front of the Alamo in my new jeans.

Is this how the rest of the world lives? Not having to pull up their pants every five seconds for fear that they might be mooning everyone behind them?

Plus, now it’s freed my hands up to do other things. Like, hold margaritas.

2015-03-12 13.59.02

9. Whelp, you guys, it’s official, it’s spring in Michigan.

Sure, it snowed on Thursday and I am still wearing fleece socks and cranking up my electric blanket at night. And I have yet to actually see a flower or anything.

But in Michigan the true indicator of spring has nothing to do with flowers or whether or not you can feel your toes.

It has everything to do with the beer.

In other words, Oberon is here and that’s all that matters.

2015-03-27 19.29.59

10. Speaking of Michigan, have we all seen this map of the perfect Michigan road trip?

I think I may have to tackle it (or portions of it) this summer.

Anyone want to join me?

I’m really good at packing snacks and singing along to the radio. Not to brag or anything.

That’s all, folks. How was your week?

1. On March 29, 2015 at 2:23 pm Priya said:

My week has been spent fighting jet-lag. And are you serious about Iceland (says the girl who just got back from a big trip and doesn’t have a job)? And, we should go camping together (says the girl who vowed never to go camping or sleep on the open ground again after sleeping with deadly snakes).
    Priya recently posted..Confession: Long-Term Travel Is Not For Me

• On March 30, 2015 at 7:33 am Sally said:

You’re welcome to go camping with me, but you’re going to have to bring your own tent. My tent is supposedly for 3 people, but it barely fits me and all my stuff. I can’t imagine cramming another person in there. 🙂

2. On March 29, 2015 at 3:19 pm zoe said:

Oh I hear you on the jeans that fit… I had a hard enough time back in australia and then I moved to Italy where apparently every single woman has incredibly slim legs and I try pairs of jeans on and can’t even get them past my knees. It’s actually pretty amazing I haven’t yet fallen over in an italian changing room while trying to pull on jeans that will never fit me.
    zoe recently posted..Counting my blessings, in no particular order.

3. On March 29, 2015 at 10:54 pm Lissa said:

Lol, this was a fun post to read. I don’t know how you camped out in a tent. That’s pretty brave. I would have totally wussed out and got a room.
    Lissa recently posted..Spring Gardening 2015 (Sansevieria trifasciata) Snake Plant/mother-in-law’s tongue

4. On March 30, 2015 at 6:35 pm Jess said:

I’m pretty sure “Don’t think about the money, think about THE FUN.” is the best reason for flying cross-country ever.

Really, it’s a pretty good reason for doing ANYTHING. ‘Why am I on top of this building in a superhero costume, officer? Because I wasn’t thinking about the potential trespassing charges, I was thinking about THE FUN.
    Jess recently posted..Running of the Reindeer – Anchorage, Alaska

• On April 4, 2015 at 10:35 am Sally said:

I think I’m going to need to make some t-shirts on it with my new life motto. (Which is actually my old life motto, I just didn’t have words for it.)

5. On March 30, 2015 at 10:31 pm Isabelle said:

I’d love to join you to go to Iceland but January? Seriously? It would probably be better than here but still…

I’m trying to get enthusiastic about Kimmy Schmidt, not working too well so far. I think she just smiles too much, it’s annoying…

If you ever come to Montreal, I’ll introduce you to the best jeans store ever! No joke! You don’t leave the store until they find you a pair, you just let them do their thing. You don’t browse around and choose jeans, they choose for you, decide for you if they fit or not, and ALWAYS find a pair that look good on you. Since I found that store, the hell of buying jeans is over! It’s called JEANS JEANS JEANS, can’t go wrong with that!

• On April 4, 2015 at 10:34 am Sally said:

I know Iceland in January sounds crazy-pants. But NORTHERN LIGHTS! ALSO CHEAP TICKETS!!!! Think about it.
      Also, you gotta give Kimmy another chance. She’s the best thing ever.

6. On March 31, 2015 at 9:55 pm Dominique King said:

Yup, yup…forget the robins, it’s all about the Oberon 😆 I’ve yet to get my first Oberon of the spring, tho.
    Dominique King recently posted..Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

7. On April 1, 2015 at 7:19 am Becca said:

1. Your next trip to D.C. needs to be longer. And it needs to include me. Think about the FUN!
    2. I REALLY want to watch a reality show about you and Flava Flav traveling across the country together, staying at haunted hotels.

• On April 4, 2015 at 10:33 am Sally said:

I know! I’m super sad my trip was so short so I couldn’t see you and the other lovely peeps of DC. Definitely making my next trip MUCH longer.
      And, yes, please start working on finding a television channel that would like to host that reality show. Thank you.

8. On April 5, 2015 at 11:56 pm Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

I’ve just started watching The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and I’m loving it so far! I’m alternating between that, The Amazing Race, and making Kevin watch every episode of Friends, as I quote it pretty much all the time and I’m sick of his eyes glazing over every time I say something like, “It’s like when Monica and Chandler…” or “WE WERE ON A BREAK!”

OK so maybe I haven’t said that last one.

As for jeans, I feel you on those. The current fashion for men seems to be: skinny, stretch skinny, super skinny, or super stretch skinny. Jeans that will be able to fit my waist look like the legs wouldn’t even be able to fit around my wrist. So I’ll have a situation where I finally manage to pull the jeans up my rather thick legs, fasten the waist, but then dare not move as I feel like my thighs are about to rip through the denim at any moment. Sigh.

Oh and I totally get the surprise visit thing. I went to my mum’s wedding as a surprise last year, none of my family knew except my stepdad. I so wanted to post photos on IG with mysterious captions like, “Guess where I am? It’s totally not in England” but alas I had to restrain myself. It was so hard.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..Photos From Yanaka-Nezu

• On April 11, 2015 at 11:20 am Sally said:

Omigod, that would have killed me to fly to a completely different country and have to keep my mouth shut about it. Ahhh! You are made of much stronger stuff than me!

9. On April 7, 2015 at 8:15 pm Megan said:

Hello!
    I just came across your blog and I must say I really relate to all of your awesome weirdness. You’re style is so down to earth and I enjoy reading it. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Love,
    Your fellow over-analyzer weird solo camping travel lover

10. On May 15, 2015 at 9:29 am Ceri said:

Yay! Jeans! 😀

I don’t know what Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is but the fact that you just said “Hashbrown No Filter” makes me want to watch it right now.
    Ceri recently posted..Thoughts From the North of South Korea