Happy March, you guys!
And, goodbye and good riddance to February! Not that February was a particularly bad month. It’s just been taking FORRREEEVVVVER for it to get over with. Isn’t it supposed to be, like, the shortest month? So then why does February always feel like it takes a billion, million years?
1. Hey, remember when my computer crashed this summer and a whole bunch of my photos were deleted because I’m really super lazy about backing things up and you were all like, “You should really back things up” and I was like, “I know, I KNOW, OKAY! I’ll start backing things up right now.”
Weeeeellllll, I finally started doing that yesterday.
Probably because I was supposed to be grading a huge stack of research reports yesterday. But, you know what’s more fun than grading research reports? ALMOST ANYTHING EVER. Including, backing up billions of travel photos. And food photos. And whatever-this-is photos.
2. You guys, you guys, you guys, I’M GOING TO TEXAS NEXT WEEK!
Or, more accurately, Saturday of this week. But I’m saying it’s next week because I’m one of those people who always considers Sunday the end of the week. I DON’T CARE WHAT THE CALENDAR TELLS ME. I KNOW WHAT’S TRUE IN MY HEART.
I’m visiting a friend who just moved to Austin and I’M SO FREAKING EXCITED. This will by my first time in Texas and also my first time ever going somewhere warm for spring break. I’ve already been dreaming of wearing cute flats without socks because my feet are so freaking tired of socks. They just want to be free, you know?
Also, I’ve done absolutely no research. I’m just planning on showing up at my friend’s place, and when she asks me what I want to do that day, I’m going to say, “Whatever you want to do.” Because I totally LOVED when people used to do that to me when they would visit me in Japan.
Okay, so maybe I did a little bit of research. I found out breakfast tacos are a thing that exist in Austin, and I’m going to need to investigate. A LOT.
If you have any suggestions on other things I should do in Austin (or, you know, places I need to go to eat BREAKFAST TACOS), feel free to send them my way.
3. Okay, I’m going to admit to being completely and totally obsessed by THE DRESS this week.
We had a huge discussion about it in my class on Friday, and all my students agreed that the dress was white and gold because I told them I’d fail every single person who said it was blue and black.
(Totally not kidding.)
4. Whelp, guys, it’s a fact. I’m finally a grown-up person.
(Wait for it).
…I bought new towels this week, and, honest to Jesus, it was probably the most exciting thing that happened to me all week.
I had been using this sorry-ass, hodge-podge of random towels — half of them were pilfered from my parent’s house and the other half were from my pre-Japan life, which means they were about ten years old.
So, after a rather depressing dentist visit this week, I decided to cheer myself up by buying myself new, fluffy bath towels.
Because this is what it’s like when you’re old. New towels = happiness.
(It’s possible I also bought wine on that shopping trip. So don’t give up total hope on me. Yet.)
5. While I was buying my new towels, I came across this bag of religious jelly beans, which included some really interesting flavors, including heaven, royalty and Jesus’ blood.
I don’t know about you, but Jesus’ blood is not exactly something I ever want to think about while eating candy.
Although, I think they pretty much hit the nail on the head with the black jelly beans. Those things totally taste like sin. And not in a good way.
6. Speaking of sin, I went to go see 50 Shades of Grey the other weekend. (Nice segue, huh?)
Honestly, I have to say the best part about the movie was the fact that I got to drink beer during it. That and the very giggly audience of middle-aged women who were watching the movie with me.
I am a huge supporter of totally and absolutely suspending your disbelief during a movie. I even get really mad at people who say stuff like, “That could never happen,” while watching a movie. I honestly just want to punch them in the mouth and then steal their popcorn.
But there were just too many ridiculous things going on in that movie. Even for me. And I’m not talking about the naughty, sexy, spanky bits.
I’m talking about the fact that Ana had a flip phone. A FLIP PHONE! I mean, I get that she’s supposed to be a poor college student. (Nevermind the fact that her apartment is roughly the same size as Planet Venus and looks like it’s straight out of the Anthropologie catalog.) But who the heck has a flip phone these days??? Actually, I can tell you who has a flip phone these days. My mom. And that’s about it.
Also, why the heck does Christian Grey wear ripped jeans? Isn’t he, like, a billionaire? Remember when you were in 8th grade and you ripped your jeans so you could look like one of the cool kids, and your mom got really mad at you for ripping perfectly good jeans and couldn’t seem to understand why you’d choose to look like a hobo on purpose. This is how I felt watching Christian Grey in ripped jeans. I just wanted to scream at the screen, “FINE! GO AHEAD AND LOOK LIKE YOU EAT BEANS OUT OF A CAN. SEE IF I CARE!”
7. Remember how last fall, I was obsessed with making ALL THINGS PUMPKIN?
Well, now I’m obsessed with ALL THINGS LEMON. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that I really miss sunshine, and lemon is basically sunshine in fruit form, right?
Got any lemon recipes I should try?
8. So I read this article on misophonia, the hatred of certain sounds, especially loud chewing and lip-smacking, and I was like OMIGOD THERE IS A NAME FOR THAT and OMIGOD EVERYONE DOESN’T FEEL THIS WAY??? HOW CAN EVERYONE NOT FEEL THIS WAY???
Seriously, you guys. Admit it. We ALL feel like committing random acts of violence when confronted with a really loud chewer, don’t we? DON’T WE???
9. You know how I’m always writing about how I’ve been single forever and ever and ever. Well, that’s about to change, because, you guys, I’M IN LOVE AND I’M GETTING MARRIED!
I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about this before, but it’s all been a bit sudden.
In fact, it just happened last night when I saw these photos of manly men posing with their cats. And the second photo with the bearded guy in the black coat with the black cat ON A LEASH??? Let’s talk about SWOON.
Does anyone know who he is and, like, what his name is and stuff? Because I’m probably going to need to know that before we get married.
10. Good news: Bakeable Kit-Kats totally exist, you guys.
Bad news: They only exist in Japan.
Which reminds me: WHY DID I EVER LEAVE JAPAN???
11. Speaking of cool things that exist in Japan even though I don’t live there any more: TOKYO OWL CAFE.
Gah! WHY DO THEY KEEP ON DOING THIS TO ME???
Hey, folks, how was your week? Got any fun plans coming up?