Random Stuff List

March 1, 2015

2015-02-22 08.36.54

Happy March, you guys!

And, goodbye and good riddance to February! Not that February was a particularly bad month. It’s just been taking FORRREEEVVVVER for it to get over with. Isn’t it supposed to be, like, the shortest month? So then why does February always feel like it takes a billion, million years?

1. Hey, remember when my computer crashed this summer and a whole bunch of my photos were deleted because I’m really super lazy about backing things up and you were all like, “You should really back things up” and I was like, “I know, I KNOW, OKAY! I’ll start backing things up right now.”

Weeeeellllll, I finally started doing that yesterday.

Probably because I was supposed to be grading a huge stack of research reports yesterday. But, you know what’s more fun than grading research reports? ALMOST ANYTHING EVER. Including, backing up billions of travel photos. And food photos. And whatever-this-is photos.

Oh god.

Oh god.

2. You guys, you guys, you guys, I’M GOING TO TEXAS NEXT WEEK!

Or, more accurately, Saturday of this week. But I’m saying it’s next week because I’m one of those people who always considers Sunday the end of the week. I DON’T CARE WHAT THE CALENDAR TELLS ME. I KNOW WHAT’S TRUE IN MY HEART.

I’m visiting a friend who just moved to Austin and I’M SO FREAKING EXCITED. This will by my first time in Texas and also my first time ever going somewhere warm for spring break. I’ve already been dreaming of wearing cute flats without socks because my feet are so freaking tired of socks. They just want to be free, you know?

Also, I’ve done absolutely no research. I’m just planning on showing up at my friend’s place, and when she asks me what I want to do that day, I’m going to say, “Whatever you want to do.” Because I totally LOVED when people used to do that to me when they would visit me in Japan.

Okay, so maybe I did a little bit of research. I found out breakfast tacos are a thing that exist in Austin, and I’m going to need to investigate. A LOT.

If you have any suggestions on other things I should do in Austin (or, you know, places I need to go to eat BREAKFAST TACOS), feel free to send them my way.

3. Okay, I’m going to admit to being completely and totally obsessed by THE DRESS this week.

We had a huge discussion about it in my class on Friday, and all my students agreed that the dress was white and gold because I told them I’d fail every single person who said it was blue and black.

JUST KIDDING.

(Totally not kidding.)

4. Whelp, guys, it’s a fact. I’m finally a grown-up person.

Because…

(Wait for it).

…I bought new towels this week, and, honest to Jesus, it was probably the most exciting thing that happened to me all week.

2015-03-01 12.34.16

Even George thinks my towel excitement is lame.

I had been using this sorry-ass, hodge-podge of random towels — half of them were pilfered from my parent’s house and the other half were from my pre-Japan life, which means they were about ten years old.

So, after a rather depressing dentist visit this week, I decided to cheer myself up by buying myself new, fluffy bath towels.

Because this is what it’s like when you’re old. New towels = happiness.

(It’s possible I also bought wine on that shopping trip. So don’t give up total hope on me. Yet.)

5. While I was buying my new towels, I came across this bag of religious jelly beans, which included some really interesting flavors, including heaven, royalty and Jesus’ blood.

2015-02-23 15.54.57

I don’t know about you, but Jesus’ blood is not exactly something I ever want to think about while eating candy.

Although, I think they pretty much hit the nail on the head with the black jelly beans. Those things totally taste like sin. And not in a good way.

6. Speaking of sin, I went to go see 50 Shades of Grey the other weekend. (Nice segue, huh?)

Honestly, I have to say the best part about the movie was the fact that I got to drink beer during it. That and the very giggly audience of middle-aged women who were watching the movie with me.

BEST PART OF THE MOVIE. FOR REAL.

BEST PART OF THE MOVIE. FOR REAL.

I am a huge supporter of totally and absolutely suspending your disbelief during a movie.  I even get really mad at people who say stuff like, “That could never happen,” while watching a movie. I honestly just want to punch them in the mouth and then steal their popcorn.

But there were just too many ridiculous things going on in that movie. Even for me. And I’m not talking about the naughty, sexy, spanky bits.

I’m talking about the fact that Ana had a flip phone. A FLIP PHONE! I mean, I get that she’s supposed to be a poor college student. (Nevermind the fact that her apartment is roughly the same size as Planet Venus and looks like it’s straight out of the Anthropologie catalog.) But who the heck has a flip phone these days??? Actually, I can tell you who has a flip phone these days. My mom. And that’s about it.

Also, why the heck does Christian Grey wear ripped jeans? Isn’t he, like, a billionaire? Remember when you were in 8th grade and you ripped your jeans so you could look like one of the cool kids, and your mom got really mad at you for ripping perfectly good jeans and couldn’t seem to understand why you’d choose to look like a hobo on purpose. This is how I felt watching Christian Grey in ripped jeans. I just wanted to scream at the screen, “FINE! GO AHEAD AND LOOK LIKE YOU EAT BEANS OUT OF A CAN. SEE IF I CARE!”

7. Remember how last fall, I was obsessed with making ALL THINGS PUMPKIN?

Well, now I’m obsessed with ALL THINGS LEMON. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that I really miss sunshine, and lemon is basically sunshine in fruit form, right?

So far, I’ve made these lemon muffins, these lemon yogurt pancakes and even lemon soup, which I admit I felt was kind of weird at first but I just went with it and it was pretty awesome.

Got any lemon recipes I should try?

8. So I read this article on misophonia, the hatred of certain sounds, especially loud chewing and lip-smacking, and I was like OMIGOD THERE IS A NAME FOR THAT and OMIGOD EVERYONE DOESN’T FEEL THIS WAY??? HOW CAN EVERYONE NOT FEEL THIS WAY???

Seriously, you guys. Admit it. We ALL feel like committing random acts of violence when confronted with a really loud chewer, don’t we? DON’T WE???

9. You know how I’m always writing about how I’ve been single forever and ever and ever. Well, that’s about to change, because, you guys, I’M IN LOVE AND I’M GETTING MARRIED!

I know!

I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about this before, but it’s all been a bit sudden.

In fact, it just happened last night when I saw these photos of manly men posing with their cats.  And the second photo with the bearded guy in the black coat with the black cat ON A LEASH??? Let’s talk about SWOON.

Does anyone know who he is and, like, what his name is and stuff? Because I’m probably going to need to know that before we get married.

10. Good news: Bakeable Kit-Kats totally exist, you guys.

Bad news: They only exist in Japan.

Which reminds me: WHY DID I EVER LEAVE JAPAN???

11. Speaking of cool things that exist in Japan even though I don’t live there any more: TOKYO OWL CAFE.

Gah! WHY DO THEY KEEP ON DOING THIS TO ME???

Hey, folks, how was your week? Got any fun plans coming up?

1. On March 1, 2015 at 1:42 pm Penguinlady said:

Ooh, ooh, in Austin do a Bat Bridge cruise! You get a sunset river cruise, which is pretty and then see all the bats swoop out of the bridge. It can be pretty impressive. If you don’t like bats and fear they will get caught in your hair, just go inside the boat and drink wine.

We had a family reunion/wedding there a few years ago and all I remember is Bat Bridge, river walk and the Capital building tour. It was a lot of fun.

• On March 1, 2015 at 1:46 pm Sally said:

I did read about the bat bridge. It sounds awesome even though I have kind of a obsession/deathly fear of bats. But now that I know the boats have wine, then I’m sold!

2. On March 1, 2015 at 3:21 pm Daina said:

Please tell me you or someone else Photoshopped the jelly beans!!!
    Daina recently posted..The Indignity of Winter, Mary Todd Lincoln, & Two Chocolate Cakes

3. On March 2, 2015 at 12:19 am Ross said:

In Austin I walked down the street with all the bars with live music hoping to find some good Blues to listen to. I stopped in front of each bar and listened to the music. When I got near the end of the street I saw a man dressed in only a cowboy hat, cowboy boots and thong underwear calling out to everyone to come into a particular bar. I figured I’d walked a bit too far down that street and hurried back to the other end. Keep an eye out for him.

It’s white & gold.
    Ross recently posted..Blue Boobies

4. On March 2, 2015 at 12:51 pm becky hutner said:

Coincidentally, I am headed to Austin for the first time too! But next week. Even though I can’t personally vet them, I will go ahead & pass on a few rec’s from trusted locals:

The Salt Lick for Texas BBQ
    Shady Grove for green-chili cheese fries & tortilla-fried catfish
    The White Horse for 2-step lessons
    Broken Spoke for old-school honky tonk!

I have major misophonia to the point where I used to eat dinner in the stairwell as a moody teen because my family’s chewing noises drove me NUTS.

Make something with lemon curd. Surprisingly easy unless you burn it. Then you’re pretty much screwed.
    becky hutner recently posted..BEST OF: New York Fashion Week Fall ’15

5. On March 2, 2015 at 4:24 pm elizabeth said:

Austin is a city that is incredibly conducive to just winging it. All the food is amazing. All the music is amazing. There is SO much of it, that you can throw a stick and hit 3 amazing things. So pre-planning isn’t required to have a great time. Unless you want to go to Franklin BBQ, because that DOES require pre-planning and standing in line for like 4 hours.
    I posted the super cool stuff we did here
    here
    and here
    elizabeth recently posted..All the time. Where did it go?

6. On March 2, 2015 at 5:19 pm Priya said:

Enjoy Texas. I’ve never been. Actually, that’s a lie. I have been. But I haven’t been very well. To Texas that is.
    Priya recently posted..I Want To Write Stuff But I’m In New Zealand

7. On March 2, 2015 at 10:29 pm Carmel said:

A) Breakfast tacos are amazing. You should eat at least 3 every morning. We went to Austin Java and it was really good. I’m sure it’s going to be good just about anywhere, though.
    B) You think YOU’RE old? Shawn and I just bought life insurance. WTH.
    C) Since you mentioned beers and movies…definitely hit up an Alamo Drafthouse. I think they exist in multiple cities, but that’s the only one I’ve been to. I loved it.
    D) Craft Pride – it’s a beer place. Go there. They have a ton of Texas-based craft beers. Very tasty. Unfortunately, Geraldine, the Guinea Fowl that used to run around outside that place, was tragically killed last year.
    E) My aunt, long time Texan and Austinite, swears that the brisket at the Whole Foods headquarters is pretty much one of the best in Austin. We tried it. I tend to agree. And if you go, there’s a bar in the middle of the store. Like a real freaking bar. It’s the weirdest thing ever. My friend Jessica works there and we met her for a drink AT HER WORK. Man, I wish I had a bar in my office. Oh wait, I work from home…I do!

I’m so jealous!! Can you tell?
    Carmel recently posted..LOCAL TRAVEL OR: WHY DON’T WE DO THIS MORE OFTEN?

• On March 6, 2015 at 8:30 am Sally said:

They have an Alamo here in Kalamazoo and it’s maybe my favorite place to go on the Earth. I already told my friend we MUST go there when I’m in Austin. Thanks for the other suggestions! A Bar in the Whole Foods??? Okay, I’m going to need to check that out!

8. On March 3, 2015 at 12:24 am Ruth Elisabeth said:

Misophonia? Just yesterday I switched tables at lunch so the noisy eater would be in front of me instead of behind. There’s an actual reason for it…!
    Ruth Elisabeth recently posted..Best of (the lunar year) 2014

• On March 6, 2015 at 8:28 am Sally said:

Ha ha! Yes, apparently, it’s a thing. It’s really my nightmare that I am a noisy eater and I don’t know it and I’m driving other misophonia-sufferers batty because of it.

9. On March 3, 2015 at 11:37 am Amanda said:

I’ve awesome things about Austin! I want to visit so bad! I’m sure you’ll have a great time. I totally understand your joy over new towels! And those jelly beans are hilarious.

10. On March 3, 2015 at 2:06 pm Deb said:

Lots of great Austin suggestions up there!

You also need to buy a “Keep Austin Weird” T-shirt. I have worn mine proudly for the last few years. The Riverwalk in San Antonio is nice and about 1.5 hours away. Good for drinks and dinner.

I live in Houston now, after exile to Minnesota for 2 years. I’m still learning where everything is in this huge state.

Enjoy!

• On March 6, 2015 at 8:25 am Sally said:

I’m hoping we’ll be able to hit up San Antonio while I’m there, but I may have to save that for another trip. It’s possible I’ll be too busy eating breakfast tacos on this trip.

11. On March 3, 2015 at 11:28 pm marteenacee said:

You should absolutely make your own lemon curd. It is so delicious, and when you make your own you don’t feel remotely guilty about eating heaps of it at a time. I’m not even going to tell you how, except Google easy lemon curd recipe. If you find one that seems tricky, don’t do it, there are easier recipes out there.

12. On March 5, 2015 at 1:14 am Ceri said:

For a minute there I was like, wait, whaaaat?? Is she abandoning the singles club???

I laughed so hard at what you said about 50 Shades. I have so many issues with that film and I haven’t even seen it yet. 😛

When I move to Japan I want to start a challenge called ‘Eat ALL the different Kit Kats’. Don’t they have like 50+ different flavours?

What does a Jesus blood jellybean taste like?
    Ceri recently posted..My Five Favourite Things in February

• On March 6, 2015 at 8:16 am Sally said:

Ooo, you must eat all the Kit Kats. Although it’s going to be tricky, as there are LOTS of Kit Kats. Each region even has its own specialty flavor Kit Kat. Like, I went to Nagoya which is famous for wasabi and they had wasabi Kit Kat.

13. On March 5, 2015 at 10:58 am Pauline said:

Random comments:

1. I also think Sunday is the end of the week, so you are not alone there.

2. You gotta make lemon bars with those lemons! Best thing ever.
    Pauline recently posted..Day 26.

14. On March 5, 2015 at 11:09 am ChristineNevada said:

Yes, as Penguinlady suggested, I’ve heard of the Bat Tour and I would want to see that too! I’m not sure if a friend of the family is still living there. He’s an artist/illustrator named Jason Eckhartd who specializes in H.P. Lovecraft art. So if you see any of his work around, inquire about him.
    Oh, and about those old towels; they make a great donation to animal shelters to keep the inmates cozy in their kennels!
    Cheers!

• On March 6, 2015 at 8:14 am Sally said:

What a great suggestion! I was wondering how I could recycle or donate them as they’re too old and grungy to donate to a secondhand shop, but I didn’t want to just chuck them in a dumpster.

15. On March 5, 2015 at 8:34 pm Choi Kum Fook said:

Hoping you have great time in the state of COW BOY! I enjoyed the cow boy movie very much when was young. Beer, of course, play the most important part of the movie because cow boys like to drink beer in the bars. Further more, many good food and interesting places can be explored in such huge state as i think. Good luck, Sally!

16. On March 5, 2015 at 9:27 pm Naomi said:

Damn, just got back from Japan, could have sent you some Kit Kats….
    My Texas friends are telling me its freezing there at the mo, best make sure you pack the socks!!
    Naomi recently posted..So we got lost

• On March 6, 2015 at 8:09 am Sally said:

SHUT UP SHUT UP RIGHT NOW. (No offense. That’s just what I’m telling everyone when they tell me it’s freezing in Texas right now. Which I’ve been told at least a dozen times this week.)

17. On March 6, 2015 at 6:27 am Ron@ApartmentsInMichigan said:

Ahhh! The smell of new towels are awesome! :). You remind me of buying another set for my family too! Have a great month of MARCH!
    Ron@ApartmentsInMichigan recently posted..WOW! These Are Probably The Smallest Apartments You Will Ever See!

18. On March 11, 2015 at 11:03 pm Alouise said:

Haha those Jelly beans are hilarious. I’m kind of curious to know if the Jesus blood flavor just tastes like wine (I’m assuming cause wine is used in a lot of church communions as a symbol of Jesus blood) and if it does taste like wine, then why not just have a glass of wine instead.

And yes lemon is basically sunshine. My favorite lemon recipe is my mom’s homemade lemonade, which is essentially lots of lemons and lots of sugar with some citric and tartic acid. It’s summer in a glass.
    Alouise recently posted..Rock and Roll Tour in Yorkville Toronto

19. On March 27, 2015 at 7:22 am Anita said:

I made the lemon chicken soup included in this post last week, and yes, it’s AMAZING! Thanks for the tip. Will definitely be bookmarking that recipe 🙂
    Anita recently posted..PDT IS ON BLOGLOVIN’