Howdy, y’all. Can you tell by my accent that I’m currently in Texas?
I promise I’ll write you a real post all about all the cool things I’ve been seeing and doing and eating in Austin, but until then, here’s a random stuff list.
1. Since I arrived here, I’ve been on a mission to eat ALL THE TACOS. I mean, OBVIOUSLY.
But I have managed to take a few breaks from my taco-eating for pho and bubble tea.
And the most glorious donut in the world.
Which happened to be served in a donut shop that was also a bar because YOU GUYS PEOPLE ARE GENIUSES AROUND HERE.
And it’s possible I vowed to marry a bowl of queso.
2. On a related note, I’ve discovered that the most attractive thing a man can do is to arrive at your table in the middle of a busy Mexican restaurant and announce the words “Hot cheese!”
If I hadn’t already sworn myself to that bowl of queso, I would have married that waiter then and there.
3. Speaking of food, is it just me, or does the air in Austin always smell like food? And by “food” I mean “something really delicious that I WANT TO EAT RIGHT NOW.”
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten out of my friend’s car and been like, “Omigod, what’s that smell? It smells so good! Let’s go eat it RIGHT NOW!”
4. Lest you think all I do is eat while I’m on vacation, I have actually done a few touristy things since I’ve gotten here. (Okay, admittedly, pretty much all I do is eat while I’m on vacation).
But we did visit the Capitol Building.
And we went to a public art exhibit/graffiti wall called the Hope Outdoor Gallery.
And we went to some place called the Cathedral of Junk, which is basically a big pile of garbage and creepy doll heads in some cranky dude’s backyard. In other words, I loved it.
5. Also, I forced my friend to take me to the Alamo Drafthouse, which is a cinema/bar/MY FAVORITEST PLACE IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.
We have an Alamo in Kalamazoo, and I go there about once a week, but seeing as it all started in Austin, I felt the need to go to where it all began. It’s kind of like my mecca, you guys.
6. Speaking of places where you can drink, we went to happy hour at Whole Foods BECAUSE THAT IS A THING THAT HAPPENS HERE.
You guys, I got to drink wine while hanging out in front of a meat case. So, basically, everything I’ve ever wanted in my life.
7. Umm, so I attempted to find some cowboy boots while I was here, but here is the thing I learned about cowboy boots: they are not made for ladies with man-calves. Seriously, you guys, cowgirls must have some seriously skinny ankles.
We went to this store which had approximately a million-billion boots, and I couldn’t find a single pair that I could cram my feet into. And, man, I tried.
So, instead I went and drowned my sorrows in pizza and beer. Naturally.
8. I saw my very first ever selfie stick this week, and I’ve seen about four more since then.
And I’m going to say something I never thought I’d say: I kinda want one.
Yeah, I know. I KNOW.
I feel like it would solve a lot of the problems I have while taking selfies. Namely, how do I hold up my phone and press the little camera button thingie and still manage to get my head and the scenery all in the shot, all without looking like I have five million arms like this:
9. In case you’re wondering, it’s been a little cold and rainy since I’ve gotten here which means I’ve been hanging out in my hoodie and sneakers all week. But, hey, there’s no snow, so I’ll take it!
So far there was exactly one night where I got to break out the shoes without socks and a spring dress and my feet were like, “Is that fresh air we feel? Let’s not go back to Michigan, okay?”
10. And tonight we’re heading to San Antonio, where we’ll be checking out the Alamo (the one that doesn’t have movies and beer), getting old-timey photos of ourselves taken and eating ALL THE TACOS AND DRINKING ALL THE MARGARITAS.
How’s your week going, friends? Got any last minute suggestions for my last few days left in Austin? (Taco-suggestions especially appreciated. Because OBVIOUSLY.)