Random (Christmassy) Stuff List

December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates! And happy Thursday to all! In honor of the holiday (and Thursday), I made you this list!

I’m sure it’s just what you wanted, right?

1. On Monday, I drove from Michigan to Buffalo, so I could celebrate the holidays with family. Prior to my trip, my inner prepper stocked up the back seat of my car with everything I might need in case I happened to get stuck in a billion feet of snow: a shovel, a sleeping bag, extra hats and gloves, and twenty pounds of granola bars. But I arrived to spring-like weather, and the only snow I’ve seen are the sad little bits left over from last month’s billions of feet of snow.

buffalo

It’s starting to look a lot like… umm… April?

So I guess I’ll just be using that shovel to shovel piles of Wegmans sushi into my mouth. I’m totally okay with this.

sushi

In my face, Wegmans sushi!

Also, why isn’t Wegmans EVERYWHERE, by now? Really.

2. In addition to eating ALL THE WEGMANS SUSHI, I also want to watch ALL THE HOLIDAY MOVIES.

I’m particularly excited about the new Annie movie. My great aunt Maggie took me to see the original Annie when I was eight years old. It was the first movie I ever saw in a cinema, and I remember thinking that a) my parents had really been holding out on me and b) a movie theater is the most amazing place on Earth.

I still feel pretty much the same way. (About movie theaters. And, okay, a little bit about my parents.)

Also, Into the Woods, you guys! I’m totally against people talking during movies, but singing along is okay, right? Because I’m going to have to sing along. I really won’t have much of a choice.

3. Speaking of movies, I went to see Wild in the cinema before I left Michigan.

And now I’m convinced I need to go on a super long hike all by myself. Except a super a long hike that would not include my encountering any snakes, bears or creepy forest-dwelling ax murderers.

Anyone know a hiking trail that matches that description? Bonus points if that trail happens to go past some diners where I can pick up some decent brunch. I mean, just because I’m hiking doesn’t mean I have to do without waffles, does it?

4. When I was in Detroit the other weekend, my phone decided it was no longer interested in multi-tasking. Or any tasking really.

The camera completely stopped working, which meant I couldn’t Instagram any of my meals. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT KILLED ME?

This graham-cracker-encrusted French toast was never Instagrammed. #theinjustice

Also, the GPS would conk out right about the time I turned down a dark street in the middle of nowhere. Which was really fun to experience in a city like Detroit, let me tell you.

And, in order to make a phone call, I’d have to dial the number and then wait for five minutes before the phone would finally connect me.

So for Christmas, I bought myself a brand, new, shiny phone. Yay!

I never really got into apps before because my old phone was so slow and buggy, but now that I have a phone that actually works, I want to download ALL THE APPS. That way I will never have to make eye contact with anyone ever again!

So, tell me, smart-phone-addict-friends, what apps should I be downloading and getting totally addicted to right now?

5. Speaking of my trip to Detroit the other weekend, I didn’t tell you that I also stopped in Dearborn for a night.

First, I ate ALL THE ARABIC FOOD.

ALL THE ARABIC FOOD EVER!

And then I went to Holiday Nights at Greenfield Village, an old-timey village at the Henry Ford Museum, where I got to ride in a Model T.

Model T awesomeness at Greenfield Village

And then I walked around the town eating old-timey food and drinking old-timey beer.

Old-timey beer!

So, basically, it was the best thing ever.

6. Speaking of old-timey stuff, I love this Twitter feed of real-live requests kids made to Santa back in the olden days.

Mostly because there’s stuff like this:

“Dear Santa, Please bring me a bicycle, books, fiddle, and a meat saw. -William NC1912”

You gotta love a kid who knows what he wants — and what he wants happens to be a meat saw.

7. So I know none of you would ever make the mistake of putting an apostrophe in your family name on your holiday cards, but in case you know someone who did, you might want to forward them this link.

8. Fun fact: Christmas in Japan is the best.

They have all the cheesy, Christmassy stuff, like lights and Hello Kitty dressed up like Santa Claus, but none of the obligations, like actually being expected to buy presents for people.

Another fun fact about Christmas in Japan: it’s considered “tradition” to eat Kentucky Fried chicken on that day.

Merry Kentucky fried chicken Christmas!

Merry Kentucky fried chicken Christmas!

9. Speaking of Hello Kitty, I’m going to need a ticket for this Hello Kitty plane. So, ummm, if you haven’t gotten me a Christmas present yet….

10. And, finally, let’s talk about the feeling that you get when you recognize yourself as the “local woman” in an article by The Onion.

Because that’s exactly how I felt when I read this article about the vacationing woman who thinks her cats miss her.

Now, excuse me, while I DRIVE HOME RIGHT NOW BECAUSE HOW CAN I POSSIBLY ENJOY MYSELF THIS CHRISTMAS KNOWING THAT MY CAT THINKS I’VE PROBABLY ABANDONED HER??? GAH!

How are you doing this week? Did Santa get you what you wanted?

1. On December 25, 2014 at 11:11 am Priya said:

I heard about the the Hello Kitty plane. I think it would creep me out.
    Priya recently posted..Hot Sand Walking Experience At Brighton Bay Beach

2. On December 25, 2014 at 1:22 pm Rose said:

Please excuse me while I grab all the gifts I just wrapped and take them back to the basement to erase the apostrophes.

3. On December 25, 2014 at 3:27 pm Ross said:

I needed that apostrophe link yesterday. I got it all wrong but at least I stressed about it for a few minutes knowing I would probably get it wrong.
    Ross recently posted..Blue Boobies

4. On December 25, 2014 at 5:56 pm Hata Trbonja said:

Merry Christmas!
    I am currently addicted to two dots on my phone. Insanely fun game.
    Hata Trbonja recently posted..Happy Holidays

• On December 26, 2014 at 10:23 am Sally said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m usually not much of a game player, but if I’m going to take this phone addiction thing seriously, I better start getting into games!

5. On December 26, 2014 at 5:39 am Mimi said:

I bought myself a Play doh set! I didn’t get one when I was a kid so now that I have money to buy stuff, I bought what I’ve missed out on. Add that I now know how to make endless amounts of home made dough. Wahoo! I don’t think I’ll get tired of making cute donuts, ice cream and cupcakes soon. Haha!
    Mimi recently posted..Credit Repair Services Can Be Scams

• On December 26, 2014 at 10:22 am Sally said:

I LOVE this idea! I think it’s about time I bought myself all the Barbies I never got as a kid. And do they still have Barbie Dreamhouses? Because I think I need one of those too.

6. On December 26, 2014 at 11:20 am becky hutner said:

Go hiking in Ibiza or New Zealand — beast and from what I understand, axe-murderer free! Now excuse me while I go see “Wild” myself.
    becky hutner recently posted..I N S T A W O R L D: Holiday Edition

7. On December 28, 2014 at 8:31 am zoe said:

A meat saw? Guess I’ve been aiming low with my Christmas wish lists…

Also, it must be said that your cat is adorable.
    zoe recently posted..Coming and going and the annual Perth trip.

• On December 31, 2014 at 11:58 am Sally said:

Thank you! She really is, isn’t she? Even when she’s looking at me like she wants to MURDER ME IN MY SLEEP (as she was doing in our Christmas photos), she’s adorable. I really don’t know how she does it.

8. On December 28, 2014 at 10:23 pm Charlie said:

Ther may not be waffles, but would pubs do? With beer? And real local ales and big plates of sausages and mash? If that sounds suitable, hike any trail in the UK. There are lots of places to stop and the most vicious thing is a curious cow!
    Charlie recently posted..Day 350: Thou Really Ought Not Covet

9. On December 29, 2014 at 8:36 am Dominique King said:

Ah ha! I only had to read a little farther into your blog to see that you DID go to Dearborn for The Henry Ford and the Arabic food! We’ve got a membership to The Henry Ford and try to go at least several times a year. The other thing we did earlier this year was go on a culinary tour of Dearborn along Warren Avenue with the Arab American National Museum folks. We’ve got plans to head back there after the New Year to hit a few of those places again to bring home what I like to call “Mediterranean lunch” (grape leaves, tabbouleh and other stuff I like to put together instead of sandwiches for lunch) and maybe some interesting ingredients to make a few items from our Mediterranean cookbook. The Museum is planning to do more of these tours in the spring. http://www.midwestguest.com/2014/09/yalla-eat-a-culinary-tour-of-dearborn-michigan.html
    Dominique King recently posted..Christmas tree recalls still more travel memories

10. On December 29, 2014 at 7:55 pm Carmel said:

If you find that hiking trail without bears and with brunch, let me know. I’ll go with you.
    Carmel recently posted..MERRY CHRISTMAS! THIS IS YOUR CHRISTMAS CARD

• On December 31, 2014 at 11:54 am Sally said:

Excellent! I’ll need someone to help me carry all the shoes I’ll be buying. (Because, obviously, our hiking trail will also have an abundance of shoe shops.)

11. On January 3, 2015 at 5:52 pm Rachael said:

Why ISN’T there Wegmans everywhere? A question I ask myself every day.

12. On March 3, 2015 at 11:38 pm Ceri said:

Apps to download that the ‘kids’ are apparently crazy about (perks of being a high school teacher is that I get to be old but still ‘with it’ and know what’s ”in’): Shots, Vine, Fahlo and Kakao. I have them but only use one of them. That’s how useful they are.
    Ceri recently posted..My Five Favourite Things in February