And happy belated Thursday to everyone else!
Since I’m traveling for the rest of the holiday weekend, I decided to spend Thanksgiving at home with my cat. Which I know sounds sad and lonely, but it really wasn’t. It was actually quite lovely.
I made pie in my pajamas.
I took a long walk in the snowy woods.
I came home and ate pie.
And then I ate a turkey breast I roasted all by myself, followed by more pie, while watching this ABC Family holiday movie where the girl from Sabrina, The Teenage Witch goes a bit bonkers and kidnaps Slater from Saved by the Bell and forces him to have Christmas with her family in a log cabin and then they fall in love and get married. Because forcibly kidnapping someone is totally the best way to start a healthy relationship, right?
In honor of Thanksgiving, I feel like I should talk about what I’m thankful for. So this week’s Random Stuff List is going to be just that.
Random Stuff (I’m Thankful for) List
1. My familyI know your family probably rocks, but mine is pretty much the best.
My mom sends me packages with chicken stickers on them.
My dad calls me to complain when I don’t update my blog each week.
My brother doesn’t seem to mind when I show up at his house on a Saturday and demand he put snow tires on my car. Or at least he does a pretty good job of pretending he doesn’t mind.
My brother’s family keeps me entertained and well fed and warm while my brother is shivering out in the garage putting snow tires on my car.
And my other brother and sisters and their families are all pretty awesome, too. (Even if they don’t put snow tires on my car.)
2. All the people at workMy coworkers have been super welcoming and kind to me.
And not just because I regularly bring cookies to the office (but I suspect that’s part of it).
And my students laugh at my jokes even though they are very bad jokes.
3. My friends near and far.Even though I’m kind of crappy at keeping in touch with all of them.
And then when they email me to ask me what I’m up to because they haven’t heard from me in ages I’m like, “What do you mean? But I’m on Facebook all the time!”
4. My cat.I know this is going to sound like some totally crazy cat lady stuff, but when I think back to how I was a year ago compared to how I am now, I feel so much happier just because this ungrateful little furball is in my life.
It doesn’t make any sense because she is the truly the worst. She wakes me up every morning at exactly 4:30 AM to chew on my fingers or to insist I play rubber band frisbee with her. And she never, ever lets me put costumes on her.
But, gosh, she’s cute, so I’ll keep her.
5. My body.I feel like in the past year I’ve finally learned to accept my body the way it is and appreciate it for what it does for me.
I mean, sure, there are days when I’m trying to find a pair of boots that fit and I can’t and I’m like, “GAH, my calves! Why must they be the same circumference as the Earth!”
But, for the most part, I’m just happy my calves work and help me walk to places.
6. My apartment.It’s probably not every 38-year-old person’s dream to live in an apartment that’s roughly the size of an industrial elevator.
And, honestly, there are times I wish I had a bigger place, if only because it would be nice to have a bit more storage space so I wouldn’t have to keep my camping gear in the trunk of my car.
But, then, I remember that I can mop my entire kitchen floor with one Lysol disinfecting wipe, and I don’t mind living in such a small place any more.
Besides, you never know when having a marshmallow toasting fork in the trunk of your car might come in handy!
7. My car.It’s not sporty or new or all that reliable.
But it usually starts and gets me from Point A to Point B.
And when it doesn’t, I just figure this is a sign I should walk more.
8. The Internet.Have you seen this map of the United States that shows what each state is thankful for according to their Facebook status updates?
I was kind of amazed by how many states are thankful for Youtube. Until I remembered how incredibly thankful I am for Youtube.
I mean, seriously, what would my life even be like without kitten videos and puppy videos and videos of baby pygmy marmosets getting toothbrush massages?
9. Michigan.Yeah, I know, it may not be the sexiest state in the nation.
But it has tons of quirky tourist attractions and festivals. The people are nice. And it’s shaped like a mitten.
Plus, they sell liquor in both the grocery stores and the movie theaters here. So I really don’t know what else you could ask for.
10. You guys.You all know that you’re the best, right? Like, truly, honestly the best?
You listen to me blather on about my cat and unicorns and Youtube videos and really nothing of consequence. (I take that back. Unicorns totally are of consequence.)
And you leave nice comments and send me nice emails and vote for me for awards.
I really don’t get it.
But, gosh, you’re cute, so I’ll keep you.What are you thankful for this year?