Random Stuff List

November 16, 2014

It’s time again for a random stuff list!

This is becoming something of a biweekly event.

(Or is it semiweekly? I can never remember the one that means every two weeks. And I just tried to Google search it and it made me even more confused. Words are hard, you guys.)

1.It’s snowing! Like for real this time.
Β
#snowselfie

#snowselfie

Which means I’ve spent the past week yelling at all my students for not wearing real coats because I’m old and that’s what old people do. We yell at young people to wear coats already. I mean, seriously, DO THEY WANT TO DIE???

This also means I can start eating Christmas cookies, right? I mean, I figure once there’s snow on the ground that means I can start stuffing my face with cookies in the shape of Christmas trees.

Also, I thought you should know these exist and they are EVERYTHING.

EVERYTHING. EVER.

EVERYTHING. EVER.

2. I finally got my computer fixed, you guys!

It only took 1 month, 2 trips to the Apple store and about $200 in new hardware.

Lesson learned: If you think the problem is the power cord and you tell the “genius” that it’s the power cord and he tells you that it’s definitely not the power cord, it’s probably the power cord. Needless to say, I now have a new power cord.

As I suspected I lost all of my photos from this summer since I hadn’t backed up my computer since May. In fact, the last time I backed up my computer was just a couple days after I found George.

So, on the bright side, I still have about a billion and one photos of her looking so ridiculously tiny and cute. You know, back before she learned that biting my fingers off is the BEST THING EVER .

GAH! I CAN’T EVEN HANDLE THIS.

3. I have a moral dilemma.

So, last night, I went to Target to pick up some cat food and milk. Of course, this mission was doomed from the start because there is no way I can go into Target and come out with only two things. I instantly slip into this zombie-like state where I just pile a huge number of things into my cart and then pay the cashier whatever she tells me because MUST BUY, IN TARGET.

So one of those many things I piled into my cart was a grumpy cat Christmas sweater. BECAUSE GRUMPY CAT CHRISTMAS SWEATER, YOU GUYS!

grumpy cat christmas sweater

But, when I got home, I glanced at my receipt and realized I hadn’t been charged for the sweater. You guys, it’s not shop-lifting if I had every intention of buying it, but just didn’t notice that I wasn’t being charged for it because I was in a total Target coma, right?

I feel like this is a sign that Santa Claus exists. And her name is Kimberly. And she works at Register 4 in the Kalamazoo Target. I mean, that would explain why she was wearing red, right?

Or maybe this was one of those pay-it-forward situations? You know those stories about the lady who comes through the Starbucks drive-through and pays for the next ten people buying coffee? Maybe someone came into Target that day and said they wanted to pay for the next ten people buying grumpy cat Christmas sweaters? That sounds like a totally plausible situation, right?

Okay, I don’t even know why I said this was a moral dilemma. We all know I’m not going to take that sweater back. BECAUSE FREE GRUMPY CAT CHRISTMAS SWEATER, YOU GUYS!

4. I’m going to talk about Amy Poehler’s book, Yes, Please, right now.

If you haven’t read it and are planning on reading it, you might want to avert your eyes. Or go ahead and read what I have to say and then yell at me later in the comments. It’s up to you.

I just finished the book this week, and I feel horrible saying this because Amy Poehler is my girl, but I really didn’t like it as much as I wanted to. Seriously, you guys, I was ready to fall in LOVE. And there were definitely parts that I adored. (Her chapter on shutting up the inner demons that say bad things about your thighs and her other chapter on treating your career like your bad boyfriend = genius).

But, for the most part, I was kind of meh.

(Okay, go ahead and yell at me in the comments already. I can take it. Maybe.)

5. You know how I’ve been totally obsessed with making ALL THE PUMPKIN THINGS, right?
Β

Well, I’m even more obsessed at the moment (as if that was possible) because I feel like I have limited time. I mean, once Thanksgiving is done with, don’t we have to move on to non-pumpkiny, Christmassy foods?

Like, umm, figgy pudding or something?

So before that happens I need to make these pumpkin snickerdoodles or there’s really no point in living.

6. Okay, you guys, I’m just going to throw this out there and tell you that I love Taylor Swift.

I know. I know.

I resisted for a really long time, but why? What is even the point of being too cool for Taylor Swift? Why cause myself that kind of pain? Why resist the sweet siren call of “Shake It Off”? That song is just begging me to dance around my living room in my pajamas.

If you’re resisting the Swift, I suggest you check out this SNL commercial parody for Swiftamine.

And then watch her car lip-sync to her own song.

Because it’s impossible not to love someone after watching them air drum in a car.

(Still resisting? May I recommend “Shake It Off” on violins? You’re welcome.)

7. A night of passion with Ryan Gosling or a limitless supply of cheese?
This or Ryan Gosling?

This or Ryan Gosling?

I don’t know.

That’s kind of a toughie.

(Who am I kidding? I totally picked cheese.)

8. This is me every single time I watch a sad movie.

And a sad television show.

And, okay, that credit card commercial where the guy looks at his baby daughter and then their future together flashes before his eyes and I think there’s a John Mayer song in the background. GETS ME EVERY TIME. GAH.

9. According to the Internets, Michigan is the greatest state.

So, who’s coming to visit me?

10. Did you think I’d write an entire random stuff list without a kitten link?
Β

IT’S LIKE YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW ME.

This video of what a cat really sees is the truest thing on the Internet.

So what random stuff is going on in your life this week? Also, you can yell at me now.

1. On November 16, 2014 at 2:20 pm Sid said:

Tip: Never put T Swift links in the middle of your blog post. Had to resist the urge to click on link before completing your post.

2. On November 16, 2014 at 3:46 pm zoe said:

I just went through that buzzfeed would-you-rather, and I’m delighted to see that for most choices, most people so far have picked the food. I mean sure, some of those guys are handsome and all. But, y’know, FOOD.
    zoe recently posted..Notes from my extremely glamorous life.

3. On November 16, 2014 at 7:46 pm Katie Featherstone said:

Fantastic list of randomness. I’m with you on every point (or at least I would like to be as it’s not exactly winter/fall here in Bolivia) apart from Taylor Swift, who I’m afraid I can never support.

Oh yeah, and I love cheese, but I think I’d have to go with Gosling…
    Katie Featherstone recently posted..Lake Titicaca: Copacabana and the Isla del Sol.

• On November 17, 2014 at 7:38 am Sally said:

Listen, you’re only hurting yourself by resisting the Swift. JUST GIVE IN ALREADY! Ain’t no shame in loving some cheesy pop music. Take it from a girl who knows. πŸ™‚

4. On November 16, 2014 at 8:13 pm Ross said:

Best Christmas sweater ever!
    Ross recently posted..Blue Boobies

5. On November 17, 2014 at 2:55 pm Katie said:

My absolute favorite of your stuff list was undoubtedly the Swift. Like you, I’ve resisted for a long time, and then… Shake It Off happened. It’s irresistible, seriously. really. Also, it’s snowing where I’m at too… boo… snow… But I love the way you think with the Christmas cookies, way to look at the bright side! πŸ™‚
    Katie recently posted..Connecting with Nature in the Hills of Bali

6. On November 18, 2014 at 7:29 am Priya said:

Um, I don’t think you should be blogging about your accidental shoplifting πŸ™‚
    Priya recently posted..The Elusive Chanteuse Show‬ In Melbourne (Or I Had A Wardrobe Malfunction While Chasing Mariah Carey’s Car)

7. On November 18, 2014 at 11:04 pm Mariah-Food, Booze, & Baggage said:

Yep, no need to worry about the sweater…it’s from a gift from the kitty gods πŸ™‚ They are rewarding you for watching all the kitty videos. Yes, food, always food and especially cheese.
    Mariah-Food, Booze, & Baggage recently posted..Five Books For When You Are On Hold

8. On November 19, 2014 at 1:09 pm Pleddie said:

I was born in East Lancing Michigan in late August. I was there just long enough to have runners on my baby carriage, or so I was told. I have lived in and visited 39 states, but have never returned to Michigan. I live in the bottom end of New Mexico, and every year, when it gets cold, I think I should move further south, like maybe Brazil.

I currently have: 1) China; 2) New Zealand & Australia; and 3) West Coast, Canada & Alaska as three trips on my β€œTo Trip List.” Should I add Michigan to my list? I am not into shopping, restaurants, nightlife, and fancy hotels. BTW, it would need to be during the summer. If I really wanted cold, I would go to Harbin China for the Ice Festival.

• On November 23, 2014 at 2:27 pm Sally said:

I went to the Harbin Ice Festival and it was fantastic. And really, really COLD (and I say this as a Buffalonian who lives in Michigan… so I know cold!). Definitely worth a visit!
      And, yes, I definitely think Michigan should be added to your to-visit list. I’ve been so surprised by all the fun, travelly stuff to do here, especially during the summer when there are tons of festivals and fun outdoorsy stuff.

9. On November 19, 2014 at 5:31 pm becky hutner said:

I’ve had to replace Apple power cords more times than I care to remember. They are sooo sneaky, cashing in on their shoddily made, overpriced accessories. I am taking in my latest dud & demanding a new one, free of charge!
    becky hutner recently posted..11 things I will miss about Venice Beach

• On November 23, 2014 at 2:25 pm Sally said:

I’ve heard the same thing from other people, but, luckily, this was the first power cord problem I’ve had with my Mac, and I’ve had it for a good 6 years or so. In fact, it’s the only problem I’ve had so far which is a miracle as I’ve put this computer through the ringer, for sure!

10. On November 20, 2014 at 11:55 pm Ed said:

Well thank goodness she moved into the Pop world instead of the Country world. If have a little musical motto that I follow: Country and Rap…they add up to crap
    Ed recently posted..Trapped Outside in a Windstorm on the Caribbean Sea

11. On November 22, 2014 at 10:07 am choi kum fook said:

From both, TV and newspapers have shown that a very destructive “snow storm” occurring in the state of New York, especially in your hometown of Bauffalo! Miss Sally, how is your house? As for me, I can bear a certain hot weather but surely couldn’t such cold weather! I will die on the spot if happen. Ha!Ha! Hoping you are in the best of luck!

12. On November 29, 2014 at 9:38 pm Sue B said:

I’m sorry, but I’m afraid you’re going to have to go back to the Target store and tell them that they made a mistake by not charging you for the sweater. Because now Kimberly has gotten fired and she was a single mom and the sole support of her disabled brother and she has a cat and now they’re all homeless in the snow and IT”S ALL YOUR FAULT.

• On November 30, 2014 at 3:25 pm Sally said:

But… but…. FREE SWEATER!
      Also, I did actually think about this. And I felt that by telling them that I hadn’t been charged for the sweater, I would be getting Kimberly in trouble. Whereas now, the management probably doesn’t even know I got the sweater for free because it was never scanned. So, really, I’m HELPING Kimberly by keeping the sweater. I SWEAR!

13. On March 3, 2015 at 10:38 pm Ceri said:

Yeah, I would totally have kept the sweater. I’d feel a little guilty but then get on with life because it’s not your fault it wasn’t put through the cash register, πŸ˜›

Amy Poehler’s book is on my list of books to read – I love her and I just finished Tina Fey’s book too, I did skip over what you said because I want to read it but I think I may have seen that you didn’t like it that much. I don’t know. I may have been imagining things.

Taylor Swift? I actually am really starting to like her too. Then again, working in Korea as a high school teacher has suddenly made me start listening to loads of current and pop music which is something I haven’t done in about 15 years. πŸ˜›
    Ceri recently posted..My Five Favourite Things in February