Random Stuff List

October 12, 2014

Did you ever have one of those weeks where all these little annoying things just kind of pile up until they become one big mountain of annoying horribleness and all you want to do is avoid everything by hiding in bed all day even if that means that your cat will take this as an invitation to lie on your face?

Yeah, that pretty much sums up this past week for me.

So I’m doing another random list this week because my brain is not really capable of coherent thought at the moment. And because my computer crashed this week and I can’t write that post about Mackinac Island I was going to write because I lost all the photos from my trip, along with about three months of other photos because I’m a serious idiot and haven’t backed up my files in ages and OMIGOD IF I THINK ABOUT IT ANYMORE I’M GOING TO CRY.

Besides, we had fun the last time I did a random list, right? RIGHT?

1. So I told you all about how I survived my group camping trip the other week. But I didn’t tell you about how I got pulled over on the way home.

This was my second time being pulled over in two months. This is after a lifetime of absolutely never, ever getting pulled over.

What is the deal? Are the police suddenly targeting nerdy, curly-haired girls in glasses who drive beige, old-lady cars?

And, just to give you an indication of how clueless I am when it comes to getting in brushes with the law, when the officer told me he was giving me a citation, I actually thanked him. I, seriously, thought he was letting me off easy.

That is until I read all the fine print and discovered that “citation” means exactly the same thing as “speeding ticket.” And, in case you’re wondering, speeding tickets/citations/whatever-you-want-to-call-them aren’t cheap. Uggh.

2. I got to check two more things off my fall bucket list this past week.

I went on a ghost tour in a creepy, cool old cemetery.

We didn’t see any ghosts, but this didn’t stop me from running to my car after it was all over and  locking my doors. As if locked doors would stop ghosts. I know.

Also, I pulled my crockpot out for the first time ever and made this slow-cooker kale and turkey meatball soup.

This was also my first time cooking with kale. I don’t know if I’m completely on the kale bandwagon yet, but it does make me feel really adultish to have a big old bag of kale in my fridge.

3. Speaking of foods and fall stuff, I’ve been shoving pumpkin into all my breakfast foods.

I made this pumpkin maple granola twice and it’s AMAZING.

And then I made these pumpkin pancakes today.

And, yes, it is impossible for me to take photos of my food without my cat jumping into the frame. What can I say? She thinks all photos are made better by her presence.

She kind of has a point.

4. Have we all seen Gone Girl yet?

I went to see it last Friday at three o’clock in the afternoon. Which is apparently senior citizen hour at my local theater as I was the only person under seventy in that cinema. And, in case you’re wondering, my fellow cinema-goers were not fans. To quote the blue-haired lady behind me: “Now, THAT was ridiculous.”

That being said, I liked it. I read the book a few years ago, so I already kind of knew what it was all about. Although I have something of a bad memory when it comes to book plots so there were some major stuff that I forgot that I was like, “Whoa, boy, WHAT? I don’t remember THAT happening.”

Plus, I got to eat free popcorn, and I’m a fan of any movie that involves my eating free popcorn.

5. Speaking of books, I FINALLY finished The Goldfinch.

I know that book won like a thousand awards and tons of people love it, but I feel like I deserve a thousand awards for just finishing it.

The next book I read needs to be light and fluffy and under a kajillion pages. Any suggestions?

6. I bought a $10 cat toy last week.

This is for a cat that will easily spend five hours playing with a plastic bag.

Also, it wouldn’t be completely ridiculous of me to buy George a Halloween costume, would it?

Wait. Don’t answer that.

7. Speaking of cats, this video of drunk guys talking about their cats is THE BESTEST.

I’m ready to marry all of them.  I mean, we’d have so much in common. Like, our love for booze and cats.

8. Yesterday, I went to ArtPrize, which is this big huge free art festival in downtown Grand Rapids.

And even though I’ve been in kind of a crankster mood all of this week and I hate crowds every week, it made me so happy to see big huge lines of people waiting outside the venues.

I mean, how wonderful is that? People flocking to see art.

Oh, and also there were food trucks.

Free art and food-truck fish tacos. It was basically my perfect world.

9. Another thing that made me happy this week?

This video of BJ Novak reading his book, The Book With No Pictures, to a group of elementary school students. You just got to love how worked up these kids get over words like “blork” and “boo boo butt.” Which you have to admit are pretty awesome words.

10. Umm, why has no one told me about Kim of Queens yet?

I just discovered it on Hulu this weekend. It’s basically like Dance Moms meets Toddlers and Tiaras.

So, in other words, it’s awful and I’m obsessed and I’ve already watched at least half of the entire first season.

Because that’s what I do when I’m having a bad week. I watch reality television shows about crazy stage moms and their beautiful but weirdly robotic daughters.

Don’t judge.

How was your week? Please tell me it was better than mine.

1. On October 12, 2014 at 1:59 pm Pamm said:

Okay, Ms. CrankyPants, I am the effing expert on bad weeks – beginning with a flood where I lost everything, and after more than a year, is still continuing (not the flood though).

So, there are two things that make me smile. Without fail. http://www.wherethehellismatt.com Start at his earliest videos and check the outtakes.

The other, for a quick, fluffy, goofy read, are the number series books by Janet Evanovitch. One is for Something-I-don’t- Remember, etc. I found them so funny that if I didn’t burst out loud laughing three times in the first 15 pages, I consider the books so so.

Enjoy both. Remember, tough times don’t last, tough people do. And all the other crap like that – that is just begging to be crammed down someone’s throat if they just don’t shut up and go away.

• On October 18, 2014 at 10:58 am Sally said:

I’ve had a few people recommend Janet Evanovitch, but I haven’t read her, and she has so many books I was never sure where to start. Thanks for the suggestion!
      (And hope your bad-week-turned-year is getting better.)

• On October 18, 2014 at 1:17 pm Pamm said:

Even though all of her books are completely stand alone, begin with the first one and keep going.

I found 45 cents on Wednesday, so my week rocked.

I hope yours is not a continuing Monday Part VI.

2. On October 12, 2014 at 8:52 pm Don said:

Hey Sally: I made the pumpkin granola today but used walnuts and almonds as I had them in the house. It is so good. The house smells amazing.

3. On October 13, 2014 at 6:33 am Priya said:

I just just found out that they put Gilmore Girls on Netflix and since it one of my favorite shows I’ve been watching it. Season one – complete.
    Priya recently posted..Justin Timberlake’s In Australia – Well, Don’t Mind If I Do

• On October 18, 2014 at 10:55 am Sally said:

You’re not going to believe this (and will possibly hate me for this): but I’ve never actually watched The Gilmore Girls. I blame this on having crappy, poorly paid jobs in the early 2000’s that didn’t allow me to afford cable. I guess I have some catching up to do!

4. On October 13, 2014 at 9:01 am Katie said:

I can’t wait to see Gone Girl, so no spoilers 🙂 It’s been a while since I read the book too, so I bet my reaction will be similar. I do believe that lock doors keep out ghosts, otherwise I’ve been putting a lot of effort into locking doors for no reason. Fish tacos = nom, they can make any week better!
    Katie recently posted..Travel Packing List – A Peak Inside My Bag

5. On October 13, 2014 at 2:58 pm Amy said:

Oh my hell, you are SPOT ON about The Goldfinch! I feel like I survived that book, rather than read it. Could he have included any more lengthy descriptions of bad drug trips?!

My fun book recommendation is a memoir, which may sound too heavy, but it’s really funny and interesting and might appeal to a solo traveler like you. A Primate’s Memoir by Robert Sapolsky. http://www.amazon.com/Primates-Memoir-Neuroscientists-Unconventional-Baboons/dp/0743202414

Hope this week is a better one.

6. On October 13, 2014 at 4:44 pm elizabeth said:

I agree with you on The Goldfinch. That book took forever.
    Some recent super-fast, great reads (although I do tend to like dark books, so these aren’t the happiest)
    Winter’s Bone
    Tell the Wolves I’m Home
    One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories
    elizabeth recently posted..Finally, a day where I feel like I’ve got it somewhat under control

7. On October 14, 2014 at 2:40 pm Ed said:

Ha…Gone Girl…ridiculously good. My favorite line in that was when the lawyer said “You two are the most f….ed up people I know”. Now, I am paraphrazing but it was funny…

As for creepy cemeteries, I learned to drive in a cemetery. I guess my father figured it was convenient should I mess up badly…
    Ed recently posted..Welcome to Taiwan, enjoy our Super Typhoon…

8. On October 14, 2014 at 3:35 pm Daina said:

Looks like you’ve been doing some great cooking!

I wish I had the chance to get to ArtPrize more often; I’ve only been once, and it was super cool.

The old lady’s comment about Gone Girl is funny. I read the book and enjoyed it, but do not plan on seeing the movie because I think it will just annoy me!
    Daina recently posted..Links for You: What I’ve Been Reading

• On October 18, 2014 at 10:50 am Sally said:

I LOVE, love, love movies and I LOVE, love love going to movies at the cinema, so I’m not usually the type of person to get upset if I feel a movie doesn’t match up to the book-version enough. Usually, I’m just happy to be at a movie and eating popcorn. So you may not want to take my word on this, but I really do think they did a good job with the movie-version. I felt the characters in the movie were just as unlikeable as the characters in the book. They definitely didn’t try to candy-coat it or make them more likeable… which you would think they’d do for a movie.

9. On October 14, 2014 at 7:20 pm Isabelle said:

I think I deserve an award too for finishing the Goldfinch! I really liked it until 80% of it and then, it took FOREVERRRRR to end…

10. On October 16, 2014 at 8:40 pm Kaori said:

I feel you. When my hard drive brokedown I may have cried, too. Losing photos really sucks.

I hated reading The Goldfinch. Hated, not really the book itself but more, the whole process of trying to finish reading it. I went on to read Where’d You Go, Bernadette, which was the best light read ever!

PS: I love that installment at the ArtPrize in your first photo. So gorgeous. My friend sent me pictures from her afternoon there and it looked like a really great festival 🙂
    Kaori recently posted..The Halloween Day in Disneyland

• On October 18, 2014 at 10:42 am Sally said:

Agreed. Where’d You Go, Bernadette was super fun and light.
      And, yes, ArtPrize is fab. If you have a chance, I definitely recommend visiting during the festival. So much fun, funky art and it’s so cool to see people so hyped up about it.

11. On October 21, 2014 at 7:52 pm Jen said:

I’m a junkie for the free kindle books you can find on Amazon. I stumbled upon the Addison Holmes mysteries by Liliana Hart. The first one, Whiskey Rebellion, is free if you’re Amazon prime. There are 4 total – so far. You can borrow the rest of them through Prime as well. They are light and fluffy but really entertaining. They are all set in the Savannah area. I think I’m able to loan these books as well (if you like #1). Let me know if you want to try it out.

12. On March 3, 2015 at 10:25 pm Ceri said:

Kim of Queens? A new reality show. I need to get on that.
    Ceri recently posted..My Five Favourite Things in February