My Fall Bucket List

September 13, 2014

You guys, you guys, you guys.

It’s fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you hadn’t caught on by my excessive use of exclamation points, fall is pretty much my favoritest.

I mean, all the magical things happen in the fall. Like cinnamon-sugar donuts and corduroy jackets and hot apple cider and turtlenecks and Reese’s cup pumpkins and plaid.

Best use of chocolate and peanut butter. EVER.

Fall is just the best.

And to help me celebrate the season I love the most, I’ve come up with this bucket list of all the super fun, fall things I want to do.

Kind of like how I came up with that bucket list of super fun, summer things I wanted to do this summer.

And then I did almost none of the things.

But, I have faith in my ability to actually accomplish all the things on my list this time around because:

a. This list is only half the size of my summer bucket list. Seriously, you guys, I must have been on some kind of crack when I decided that it was totally reasonable to expect myself to do 20 things this summer. I mean, it’s hard enough to put on pants and leave my apartment in the summer, let alone do things!

b. It’s FALL, you guys, and fall makes me feel invincible.

My Fall Bucket List

1. Go to a college football game.
Even though I work at one university and live within walking distance to another, I didn’t go to a single college football game last year.

This doesn’t particularly surprise me as I’m not a football fan. Heck, I don’t even know how football works.

But I do love me a good marching band and a concessions stand. So I need to make this happen this year.

2. Go apple picking.
Okay, so this one I’m kind of stealing from my summer bucket list, in which I vowed to pick strawberries or blueberries or whatever.

And never did.

Because, you guys, paying cash-money to go work as a farmhand?

I am not about that life.

But I am totally about using apple picking as an excuse to go to one of those orchards that serve fresh cinnamon-sugar donuts and cider.

Plus, I’ve been putting some serious thought into making an apple pie. BECAUSE I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHO I AM ANYMORE.

I make these things now. I don’t understand it either.

3. Do a corn maze.
True story: I’ve never done a corn maze.

I suspect this has something to do with growing up on a farm and getting lost in a few too many corn fields as a child. And then freaking out because OMIGOD THIS IS WHEN THE KIDNAPPER-ALIEN-PERSON HOPS OUT AND ABDUCTS ME.

So, yeah, getting lost in a corn field on purpose never particularly appealed to me.

But I’m an adult now. So I don’t think KIDNAPPER-ALIEN-PEOPLE exist. And they certainly don’t hang out in corn fields.

Or do they?

OMIGOD, YOU GUYS, DO THEY?

4. Do a ghost tour.
Even though I’m a huge scaredy cat, I love me a good ghost tour. Maybe it’s because I figure ghosts can’t attack me if I’m with a big group of people.

Or can they?

OMIGOD, YOU GUYS, CAN THEY?

5. Go fall camping.
I loved my two solo camping trips this summer, but because both were done on holiday weekends in totally packed state parks, I would not classify either as particularly peaceful.
Β
DSC02066

Not nearly as peaceful as it looks.

In fact, during my last trip, I spent more time listening to my campsite neighbors play drinking games than I did listening to crickets chirp.

I’ve heard, though, that the campgrounds in Michigan really clear out after Labor Day, so I’m hoping to take at least one fall camping trip, where I’ll get to enjoy some peace, quiet and bug noises. As opposed to, say, beer pong and Big Booty noises.

6. Take a road trip to see the fall leaves.
This may be crazy talking, but I’m thinking I may even do this by bicycle.

I told you that the fall makes me feel invincible. I blame the turtlenecks.

7. Become a slow-cooking soup-making master.
Last year around this time I went into something of a soup-making frenzy.

I made all of this. Because soup-hoarding is a thing.

I got so soup-crazy that I even got a crockpot with plans of making even more soup with it.

And then I discovered that slow cooking meant really, really, REALLY slow cooking. As in eight or nine hours worth of cooking. And I’ve never really been all that good at planning stuff ahead of time like that.

Plus, I’m not all that big on patience. I mean, for serious, guys, I get impatient waiting for water to boil. I can’t imagine waiting eight or nine hours for soup to cook.

But I’m determined to crack out the crockpot at least once this fall and make some killer slow-cooked soup.

8. Go to at least four different fitness classes at my gym.
Every semester I dutifully pick up the list of fitness classes at the university gym and every semester I never, ever go to one.

This time I’m determined to actually go to a few of them.

Even if it means facing my fear of Zumba.

9. Complete at least three other classes.
There’s just something about fall that makes me want to take a whole bunch of classes and learn me some stuff. Or at least carry around lots of books and freshly sharpened pencils.

I’ve already started taking a story-telling class at the university where I work. (I know. I know. As if I need any more encouragement to tell ridiculous stories that no one believes.)

I’ve also signed up for a self-defense class at a local martial arts studio.

I’d like to sign up and complete one other class this fall, although I’m not entirely sure what. Hopefully something easy that I’m already kind of good at. Like Hoarding Soup 101. Or How to Binge-Watch Your Favorite Shows on Netflix.

10. Go fall hiking at least five times.
I love hiking by myself even if I get irrationally paranoid that some serial killer is going to pop out of the woods and kill me.

But fall hiking is the best because you know that crunchy, crackly sound that leaves make when you step on them while you’re walking through woods?

I LIVE FOR THAT SOUND.

Insert crackly, crunchy leaf sounds now.

Plus, serial killers can’t sneak up on you if their feet are making all these crazy, crunchy, crackly leaf sounds.

Or can they?

OMIGOD, YOU GUYS, CAN THEY?

What’s on your fall bucket list this year?

1. On September 13, 2014 at 6:03 pm Ailsa Ross said:

Love! Can you also vow to have a conker fight? There’s nothing more fun than trying to smash your conker off someone else’s. Or, wait…is this just a British thing? Do I sound really weird right now?
    Ailsa Ross recently posted..Girl meets boy.

2. On September 13, 2014 at 10:58 pm Meesh said:

OMG I wish I lived closer to you… (or you to me) I would totally usurp your list (and you with it of course) and DO ALL THE THINGS!!

*except that ghost hunting thing. you’re on your own for that* #scaredyCat

*and possibly the maze thing* *see above*
    Meesh recently posted..T.O.T.D – Aug 5

3. On September 14, 2014 at 1:53 am janice said:

Ohmygosh, #3 reminds me of the time my sister and her best friend got lost driving because the directions they were given were: turn right at the corn fields. They drove and drove and ended up in another state! Cause #citygirls.
    janice recently posted..Quick and Easy Three-Ingredient Frozen Yogurt

4. On September 14, 2014 at 9:55 am Priya said:

I’ve never been on a ghost tour. Maybe I should put it on my bucket list.
    Priya recently posted..Yarra Valley Wine Tour (Or Gimmie All The Wine)

5. On September 14, 2014 at 11:47 am kathigold said:

I also had corn maze on my bucket list, and tackled it last year. Although I pride myself on my sense of direction, I became hopelessly lost about 3 seconds in, and would probably still be there, except I had dragged my reluctant, directionally challenged BFF with me, and she suddenly acquired idiot savant-like corn maze navigation skills! It was amazing, I’ve never laughed so hard in my life!
    Love your list! Go forth and conquer!

• On September 21, 2014 at 12:50 pm Sally said:

I went yesterday and took two of my Japanese friends. I was horrible at it, but my one friend from Okinawa was surprisingly good at it — despite never having been in a corn field in her life.

6. On September 14, 2014 at 9:51 pm Jo said:

Oh, I can relate to you about the apple/strawberry picking.

We had an apple and plum trees in our garden when I was growing up. I never picked anything off them. For some reason I convince myself that I’ll take valuable time out of my sitting-on-the-sofa schedule to go all the way to a farm and pay money to do manual labour, when I couldn’t be bothered to do it for free in my own garden as a kid when I had infinitely long summer full of nothing.
    Jo recently posted..The Poor Man’s Galapagos – Puerto Lopez/ Isla la Plata, Ecuador

• On September 21, 2014 at 12:49 pm Sally said:

Ha ha! Exactly! My parents would make us pick apples and other stuff and I do not remember particularly enjoying it. The idea of paying to do something I never enjoyed doing as a kid always seemed a bit ludicrous to me. But so many people seem to enjoy it, I must be missing something!

7. On September 14, 2014 at 9:56 pm Jess said:

Your fall bucket list is much more ambitious then mine. Probably because mine somehow turned into a ‘fall things to eat’ list instead.

My favorite corn maze has a stash of long-handled ‘rescue flags’ outside. You can take one you and hold it up above the corn if you are hopelessly lost. Or, y’know, if the kidnapper alien people are around the next corner.
    Jess recently posted..What to do when it’s fall in New England.

8. On September 15, 2014 at 12:53 am Rika said:

I have good news for you – crockpot things only take 8-9 hours on low. Crank that bad boy on high and your soup will be done in 3-4 hours πŸ™‚
    Rika recently posted..Roatan Month 25 Roundup

9. On September 15, 2014 at 9:11 am Lily Lau said:

HEY YOU, HEY YOU, HEY YOU! It’s fall and your bucket list isn’t willing to miss anything! πŸ™‚ I might need to update mine with some of your challenges!
    Lily Lau recently posted..The most expensive shampoos in the world

10. On September 15, 2014 at 10:46 am Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

My fall bucket list consists solely of, “don’t get soaked in sweat every day like I have been doing since May, in Taipei’s almost half-year long summer”. But something tells me that Taiwanese fall is basically European summer, so I’m not holding out much hope on actually accomplishing it.

Anyway, apple picking as an excuse to eat doughnuts? Erm, can’t you just eat the doughnuts anyway and not pick the apples? Then again, I would like you to send me a pie made with freshly baked apples. Oh, and some of that soup that we all know you’re hoarding.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..Budget Airline Hidden Charges: How To Avoid Them

• On September 21, 2014 at 12:45 pm Sally said:

I missed fall SO MUCH when I was living in SE Asia. Good luck with not sweating so much. I’ll be thinking of you while I’m all wrapped up in fleece and turtlenecks and eating hot soup and warm pie. You’re welcome.

11. On September 15, 2014 at 12:39 pm Carmel said:

I love fall so very much. It’ll be especially exciting this year and we’ve pretty much had a 15-month summer. Boots and sweaters and horror movies and pies and warm meals and friends and….oh the list just goes on and on. I am in shock you’ve never done a corn maze! We do it every year with a couple friends of ours, then go on a tractor to get our pumpkins. There’s usually so many people in the maze, you have a 99% chance of getting out of there without getting axe murdered.
    Carmel recently posted..THE SWEET, SIMPLE THINGS

• On September 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm Sally said:

I did the corn maze yesterday with 2 Japanese friends. I totally sucked at it — thanks to my lack of direction and the new meds I’m on which make me dizzy. One of my friends was surprisingly good at it despite never having been in a corn field in her life. Although we did finally have to give up and go out the entrance.

12. On September 15, 2014 at 2:57 pm becky hutner said:

If this is not a season-appropriate list, I don’t know what is. And I should totally do one too, esp since I’m in such a transitional period in my life.

“But you’re always in a transitional period in your life,” some might say. And to that, I would say, “That may be peanut gallery, but this time, it’s DIFFERENT.”

And then come season’s end, I’ll produce the completed list to prove it.
    becky hutner recently posted..Fashion β€˜Round the World: What people wore in Summer ’14

13. On September 15, 2014 at 6:06 pm HotMamaTravel said:

I LOVE Fall…okay I LOVE Halloween, but still. I’ll be doing a few things off your list as well! I made chili in the slow-cooker last night even though it was 110 degrees. I have a spooky camping trip planned for Oct (which I’ll post about) and fall just isn’t complete without a few ghosts! Happy Fall!
    HotMamaTravel recently posted..Tradewinds Island Grand

14. On September 15, 2014 at 7:36 pm Jen said:

I miss fall. It’s my favorite season and it feels like it’s never going to get here. It was almost 90 degrees today. I want rain and fog and cold. πŸ™‚

You are lucky… at least until it gets super cold in January/February.

The bucket list sounds fantastic!

• On September 21, 2014 at 12:36 pm Sally said:

I wish it waited until January/February to get super cold, but usually the snow starts falling somewhere around late October/early November. That’s why I’m totally stressing out about how I need to do ALL THE FALL THINGS before then.

15. On September 15, 2014 at 11:33 pm Ed said:

Corn mazes are awesome but that is my super power. I used to draw these and have found that I naturally solve mazes in almost my first try so I don’t find them challenging personally but I just follow wife/friends/kids as they get perplexed.

Hiking after Sep is terrific too. My favorite time as the mosquitos where we are are pretty much not there during that time (as are the crowds).
    Ed recently posted..Hiking up Waterfalls…why am I doing this?

16. On September 16, 2014 at 1:11 am Alana - Paper Planes said:

This still seems like a pretty ambitious list!
    Alana – Paper Planes recently posted..My Favorite Blogs for Twenty-Something Female Travelers

17. On September 19, 2014 at 8:56 pm Kelly said:

I love your corn maze commentary. So funny. The only thing on my bucket list is to finish this house and get it sold!!! Oh, and move back to Colorado. All totally possible in 3 months, right?
    Kelly recently posted..Do Ho Suh’s Fallen Star 2012

18. On September 22, 2014 at 5:47 pm cynthia said:

Crock pot soups are awesome! When you get home from work it’s ready for you. πŸ™‚
    My favorite has been this one that I found on a blog a while back and have made probably 5 times with great success. (I have used both the smoked turkey leg & the ham bone, both are yummy!)
    cynthia recently posted..35/52 & 36/52 Time Flies!

19. On September 23, 2014 at 3:31 pm Joyce said:

I love your list! I’m lamenting the end of summer but I can’t wait to eat all things pumpkin, to sit in bed and read while it rains and storms outside, and to spend time taking photos of beautiful foliage.

Characters & Carry-ons
    Joyce recently posted..Best of Milano

20. On September 24, 2014 at 2:29 am Sophie said:

love your Fall Lists, especially the slow cooking soup-making master!

21. On September 24, 2014 at 9:22 am Daina said:

Fall is not my favorite season, but I’ll concede this is a great bucket list! πŸ™‚ Have fun!!
    Daina recently posted..Cool Conference on (Slightly Geeky) Latvian Stuff

22. On March 3, 2015 at 9:41 pm Ceri said:

As I’m behind I’m going to assume you went apple picking because FRESH CINNAMON-SUGAR DONUTS. Why wouldn’t you?
    Ceri recently posted..My Five Favourite Things in February