100 Happy Days: Day 32

May 22, 2014

One of the reasons why I started the 100 Happy Days Challenge was because the website claimed that many people had not only felt happier but had also fallen in love while doing the challenge.

Sure, I was skeptical that I would find love just because I was taking photos of beer and baby ducks and all the other random things that make me happy on a daily basis.

But, hey, this had to be better than my usual attempt at finding love.  (Namely: binge watching episodes of Scandal while eating iced animal crackers and drinking white wine. Just so you know, this is a really crappy way to meet potential love interests. But it’s a great way to spend a Friday night. Or EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT EVER.)

Hello, Friday night.

Hello, Friday night.

Well, you guys, I’m happy to report that it’s true. Taking photos of your alcoholic beverage of choice and posting them on Instagram will, indeed, help you find love.

Or, at least, it worked for me!

Yep, that’s right.

I’m completely and one hundred percent head over heels, you guys, and I’m only on Day 32!

And, well, not to brag or anything, but the feeling is totally mutual.

That's love in those eyes.

That’s love in those kitty cat eyes.

Yep, that’s right, I now have a cat.

Or a cat has me.

I can’t really decide which expression is most appropriate.

Because, to be honest, I didn’t really decide to have this cat.

She just kind of happened to me.

I’d actually been thinking about getting a cat for a while, but I couldn’t make up my mind about whether or not I was ready for the whole commitment thing. And, the whole hair-all-over-my-black-pants thing.

I’ve even been having dreams about getting a cat. Like actual, literal dreams.

A couple weeks ago, I had a dream I was on a yacht with George Clooney, and he gave me a kitten, and I was seriously more excited about the kitten than I was about the yacht or George Clooney.

And then last week I had a dream I was in a bar, and I left my purse on a chair for a moment, and then when I came back, it was full of kittens and I was like, “HOLY COW, THIS IS THE BEST BAR EVER. CAN I GET SOME CHAMPAGNE OVER HERE, BARTENDER? I HAVE A PURSEFUL OF KITTENS AND I FEEL THE NEED TO CELEBRATE!”

I also started to notice signs that maybe I needed a cat in my life again. Like actual, literal signs.

They put up this sign by my house this weekend.

They put up this sign by my house this weekend. I have to walk past it twice a day.

You would think that all of this would be enough to make me go running to my nearest animal shelter. I mean, Dream George Clooney doesn’t just go handing out kittens on a boat to just anyone, right?

But I’m not really the type of person who’s good at picking up on signs. Even if the signs are named George Clooney or the size of a billboard.

Luckily, I am much better at picking up on the sound of really loud kitty cat yowling. Which is exactly what this kitty was doing when I came across her by the side of the road on my walk home on Tuesday.

2014-05-20 17.12.32

Doesn’t this photo just make your heart break into a million billion pieces?

I was not the first person to find her.

Some college girls had found her right before I did. I was about to explain to them that they could not take the cat BECAUSE GEORGE CLOONEY AND THE BILLBOARD AND SHE IS MINE, SO HANDS OFF MY KITTEN, GIRLS, when one of them told me they couldn’t take her because their roommate was allergic.

I have seriously never been so gleeful about someone’s allergies. I felt kind of bad about that but not that bad BECAUSE KITTEN.

Luckily, they helped me catch the kitten in a shoe box.

I brought her home.

I wrapped her in a towel.

She licked my face about a billion times.

And I called her George.

I’m pretty sure Mr. Clooney would approve.

Have you ever had a pet find you?

1. On May 22, 2014 at 10:22 pm Priya said:

This happiness challenge thing is working for you. You, my dear, will not end up alone. Congrats!
    Priya recently posted..I Will Kill ALL The Backpackers (The Inconsiderate Ones Anyway)

2. On May 23, 2014 at 12:10 am Barbara said:

I’m a bit scared to wonder aloud about what could happen to you if you ever start dreaming about babies. Because the authorities get involved when you find cute little humans abandoned on the side of the road.

I hope you and George have many wonderful years of happiness together. She looks adorable!!!
    Barbara recently posted..Phan Thiet Pet Cafe, A Lizard Love Story

• On May 24, 2014 at 10:07 am Sally said:

Yeah, I don’t think Dream George Clooney will be gifting me any babies anytime soon. Or he’d better not. I’m already sleep deprived as it is with a kitten.

3. On May 23, 2014 at 3:42 am Marta said:

You should call her with the full name: George Clooney. This way, when someone asks you about your flatmates, you will say that you live with George Clooney!

4. On May 23, 2014 at 7:23 am Peg said:

My mom always said the best pets are the ones who find you, not the ones you go looking for and she was right. I’ve had to amazing dogs and one perfect cat in my life, and all three found me.

The first dog was dropped off at our house by my aunt who asked us to “just watch him for a day or two until I can tell my landlord”. He stayed for the rest of his life.

The second was a little half starved doberman runt puppy who literally ran out in front of our car and then sat trembling with big brown eyes at us until we brought her home. She was the smartest, sweetest dog I’ve ever known.

Jakester Kitty, the best cat ever, also ran out in front of my car on a busy road and then huddled in a muddy gutter until I got out and picked him up. He was a five weeks old orange fluff ball, and my kids still have him fifteen years later.

Welcome to the family little George!
    Peg recently posted..Me Talk Pretty One Day*

5. On May 23, 2014 at 10:55 am Olivia said:

I was driving through Michigan and stopped at a truck stop. This rough looking lady was standing by the front entrance next to a box. “You want a kitten?” I politely declined and we walked by. My cousin begged me to take it home. I decided to with the intention of finding it a home. Not even looking inside we gladly took the box and put it in my backseat of my car. Out popped this tiny tuxedo kitten with blue eyes. I was shocked to see this kitten was identical to my previous cat who passed away after living 19 years. I swear he reincarnated and came back to me. Same cat. Same attitude. Same love. That was 9 years ago.

6. On May 23, 2014 at 6:31 pm Ailsa Ross said:

YAY! KITTEN! That is all.
    Ailsa Ross recently posted..Wise words from Oaxaca, Mexico

7. On May 24, 2014 at 1:50 am Lucy said:

I’m allergic to cats… but this makes me want to go out and scour the gutters for kittens I can own…
    Lucy recently posted..Have we forgotten how to say goodbye?

8. On May 24, 2014 at 1:57 am Jill said:

So adorable!! Congrats and welcome to the world of cat companionship! Once you start, it’s hard to imagine a life without them – just be warned 🙂 and don’t forget to get her fixed once she’s old enough.
    Jill recently posted..Canyoneering Zion, Deep Into the Slot Canyons

9. On May 24, 2014 at 2:57 am Sue B said:

I had been thinking about getting a cat for a while, but hadn’t done anything about it. Then I found a cat that had had a litter of kittens in the garage next to my car. Or the cat and her kittens found me.

10. On May 24, 2014 at 9:14 am Hata Trbonja said:

This makes me miss our two kitties back home. Give that cat a good squeeze for me.
    She looks adorable.
    Can’t wait for updates on crazy kitty stuff.
    Hata
    Hata Trbonja recently posted..6 Great Things This Week

11. On May 24, 2014 at 7:01 pm Leslie in Oregon said:

I’m so happy that you and George found each other…you are both adorable! My childhood cat found my family by looking in our kitchen window one snowy night, and he was the best cat ever! Our two dogs found my husband and me, and they are each extraordinarily wonderful. This mutual finding bodes well for you and George… Congratulations!

12. On May 24, 2014 at 11:55 pm Ceri said:

Ohhhh George. <3

What a coincidence because I spent the last 2 nights googling all about what it's like to take care of a cat. There's a teeny little kitten in a cage across the river from me and I can't tell whether it belongs to the owners of the shop that it's outside or if it's for sale. If it's for sale, I want to rescue it. 🙁
    Ceri recently posted..When Teachers Beat Their Students

• On May 26, 2014 at 9:35 am Sally said:

Yes, rescue it! Kittens are the best. And highly entertaining. I mean who needs Netflix when you can watch a kitten destroying your sneakers instead? (Okay, I still need Netflix. But it’s nice to have options.)

13. On May 26, 2014 at 1:36 am Simone said:

Oooo love kittens! And cats…. And as someone who has three furry cats who spread hair all over everything I can relate… Lol… Love the name too and definitely call him George Clooney!
    Simone recently posted..Photo of the week – school in Vietnam

1. How Having a Kitten is Kind of Like Having a Kid (Or "Why I Should Never Have Kids.")
  2. unbrave girlThe Week in Kitten Links | unbrave girl