100 Happy Days: Day 15

May 5, 2014

classroom

Today was the first day of the summer semester.

I really could have used just a teensy bit more vacation time. Like another week… or twenty.

And I really can’t get on board with calling what is currently happening “summer.” I mean, it’s May in Michigan, and it seriously just stopped snowing last week.

All that being said, I really do love the first day of the semester.

All the students were on their best behavior today.

I didn’t have to tell anyone to please listen while I was talking or speak only English with their classmates or PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF SNAPCHAT PUT AWAY THAT CELL PHONE!

My writing class clamored over each other to answer my questions about thesis statements and topic sentences and transitional phrases because I am that teacher who starts the semester off by reviewing the parts of the essay.

Oh, by the way, there will be a quiz on that tomorrow.

Kidding.

(Not kidding.)

But my students are not the only ones determined to start things off on the right foot.

So am I.

In fact, I have an entire New Semester Resolution List.

Which may sound weird if you don’t know me.

Okay, it sounds weird even if you do know me. I mean, it sounds weird to ME and I am ME.

But, the thing about being a teacher is that I don’t really think in years  — I think in semesters.

When people ask me how long I’ve lived in Michigan, I say “two semesters.”

I know it’s time to get a hair cut when there’s a semester break.

And, while I can’t exactly remember what my new year’s resolutions for this year were, I do remember what my new semester resolutions for last semester were.

Probably because they were pretty much the same resolutions I have for this semester:

I will finally become efficient at work and not spend forever looking for that one video to use in my lesson about that one thing.

I will once and for all be able to explain the future perfect tense in a way that makes sense. Even though it totally doesn’t make any sense. I mean, how can I say I “will have done” something by some distant point in the future? I am not psychic. I am also really not good at getting things done. (See the first point about becoming efficient.)

I will stop rolling my eyes at really long teacher meetings even if my eyes just kind of naturally do that.

I won’t gossip about any of my coworkers. (Not that I did that! Ever! Not me! Hey, coworkers-who-read-my-blog!)

I will go to the gym more.

I will walk to work everyday.

I will write more even if my brain is doing that thing where it’s like “I CAAAAAANNN’T!!! DON’T MAKE ME!!!”

I will finally start volunteering.

I will meet people.

I will do something fun and social every week.

I will actually keep all my resolutions this semester — so much so that next semester I won’t even need to make resolutions because I will be pretty much basically perfect.

Kidding

(Not kidding.)

Do you make non-New-Year’s resolutions? Do you keep them?

1. On May 5, 2014 at 10:10 pm Ross said:

I make resolutions all the time but rarely keep them. I’m sure you will keep your New Semester Resolutions. You not only put them in writing you shared them with the world. What pressure!
    Ross recently posted..Sand in Black & White

• On May 7, 2014 at 8:48 pm Sally said:

Well, my New Year’s Resolution to stop drinking on weekdays lasted, umm, one weekday. Here’s hoping I’m better at keeping the others!

2. On May 5, 2014 at 10:44 pm Priya said:

I would like to see pictures of you at the gym, please. That is all.
    Priya recently posted..On Being Cheated, Working On Commission, & Knowing You Can Leave Whenever You Want

• On May 7, 2014 at 8:47 pm Sally said:

Uh, no. You see, I’m already the creepy old lady at my gym because I go to the school gym so I’m twice as old as everybody else. I don’t want to be the creepy old lady who takes pictures of everybody. That would just be REALLY creepy.

3. On May 6, 2014 at 1:07 am Janice said:

Boy, I’m old. I had to google Snapchat. I can’t keep up with kids these days.
    Janice recently posted..Dramas, Breaking Bad, and the 2013 DramaFever Awards

• On May 7, 2014 at 8:46 pm Sally said:

Ha ha. I don’t actually know what Snapchat is. I just know my students use it. I’m kind of scared to find out how and why they use it.

4. On May 6, 2014 at 7:49 pm Isabelle said:

No, no resolutions ever. I just forget them after a week so there is not point! I either decide to do it or not but no resolutions…

• On May 7, 2014 at 8:46 pm Sally said:

And then after deciding, you actually do it? WITHOUT WRITING ANYTHING DOWN? But.. but… BRAIN. CANNOT. COMPUTE.

• On May 8, 2014 at 8:47 pm Isabelle said:

ha!ha! It’s not like I decide 20 things and make the changes in my life. I think about one thing for a long long time, then decide, then do it. It’s a LONG process!

5. On May 6, 2014 at 8:22 pm Aurora said:

“I will meet people.
    I will do something fun and social every week.”

ha. wait — do we have the same list?!
    Aurora recently posted..Spring in Brooklyn

• On May 7, 2014 at 8:45 pm Sally said:

Probably. I hope you’re doing better at your list than I am. Unless “drinking wine on my couch by myself” counts as a social event. Does it?

6. On May 7, 2014 at 12:56 am Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

Ahh, semesters. The things that don’t exist in cram schools…I get so confused here as my students all have mid-terms and finals at completely different times of the year. And as for non-New-Year’s resolutions, I have a hard enough time keeping the regular ones, let alone anything additional.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..Treasure Hill Temple

7. On May 7, 2014 at 4:38 am Madhu Bhardwaj said:

I don’t have any such issues. I never make resolutions as I know that even if I did I would have broken them all by next week.
    ha ha.Future perfect tense. Sort of.
    Happiness is in baking a cake and not resolving to diet from tomorrow.
    Madhu Bhardwaj recently posted..Banana cake

8. On May 7, 2014 at 8:17 pm Conented Traveller said:

As an ex teacher I hear very word that you have said and identify with them all. I loved teaching and my students, I think that eventually the continuous meetings made me also write lists.Great post
    Conented Traveller recently posted..Take the Manly Ferry in Sydney

9. On May 11, 2014 at 12:44 am Amanda said:

I tried to a make a non-New-Year resolution of limiting my beer consumption for a month…it lasted for a couple days. Oh well. I guess I’d rather have a six-pack in my belly than a six-pack on my belly.
    Amanda recently posted..Piggy Back Trips

10. On May 24, 2014 at 10:55 pm Ceri said:

“I won’t come home from work every night and become a Netflix-watching couch-lump.” – Uh oh, is this a bad thing? :/ Eep.

I don’t make non New Year resolutions because … y’know, effort but good for you, girl! 😀 I have every faith that this semester, you’ll be successful in yours.
    Ceri recently posted..When Teachers Beat Their Students

• On May 26, 2014 at 9:38 am Sally said:

Well, it’s 3 months in and I can’t say I’ve been that successful. There have definitely been some couch-lump days. BUT I’ve been much better about walking to and from work (which has already paid off in the form of KITTEN) and going to the gym. So there’s that.