7 Reasons I Really Kind of Like Spring

April 13, 2014

IMG_3204

True confession time, you guys: until this year I never really “got” spring.

I mean, sure, flowers and stuff. They’re nice.

But everyone knows fall’s my boo. Seriously. I love everything about fall. The changing colors of the leaves. That crunching sound that the leaves make when you walk on them. The way the air always kind of smells like a campfire. The cider and donuts. The more cider and the more donuts. And the scarves. Because, seriously, friends, I can rock a good scarf, if I do say so myself.

Fall, my scarf & me.

And, well, spring just has never come close to the awesomeness that is fall in my mind. After all, spring is mushy and muddy and grey. And pastel colors tend to wash me out.

Besides, growing up in Buffalo, spring always felt like an extension of winter, but with dirtier snow.

And, then I moved to Asia,  where I spent most of spring being sniffly and headachey and allergic. Because, apparently, my body decided all those pretty cherry blossoms were out to kill it.

But, after this past winter in Michigan which consisted of no less than five million polar vortexes, I’m starting to understand what all the fuss is about when it comes to spring. I’m starting to think that spring may, in fact, be kind of nice.

I mean, it’s no fall.

But it’s got its perks.

7 Reasons I Really Kind of Like Spring

1. Long walks outside. For funsies. And not just because I have to go to work.
I walked a lot this winter.

Like, A LOT.

But it wasn’t the fun kind of walking. It was the walking-because-my-car-won’t-start-and-I-guess-I-need-to-get-to-work-and-SHOVEL-YOUR-SIDEWALKS-ALREADY-YOU-JERKHOLES kind of walking.

And then this week I went on a few long walks because I actually wanted to and not because I would get fired if I didn’t and it was SO MUCH FUN, YOU GUYS.

It was also really informative.

Like, I learned this exists. In my neighborhood. So that’s good to know.

zombies

2. There are other people outside. And not just because their cars don’t work. Or because they’re homeless. But there’s also that.
This winter when I was walking all the time, the only other people I saw outside were fellow car-less folks like myself and the homeless.

And then spring showed up and everyone went outside. I’ve probably seen more people hanging outside in the past week than I have in the past five months.

There are people walking and bike riding and having impromptu porch parties. Which I’m hoping I’ll be invited to real soon if I just keep on walking by. Over and over again. While wearing my please-invite-me-to-your-party face.

Who wouldn't want this face at their party, SERIOUSLY?

Who wouldn’t want this face at their party, SERIOUSLY?

3. Flats without socks.
There’s always this moment mid-February where I can’t even deal with the tyranny of socks any more. My feet just need to be free, man.

That’s when I’ll attempt to go outside wearing only a pair of flats even though it’s still snowing. And then I will remember why socks were invented. And why I should probably wear them even if they are tyrannical jerkholes.

But, then, spring finally shows up and my feet can once again be free from those jerky sock dictators. At least until October.

Wheeeeeeeeee!

Free at last!

4. Ice cream is, once again, a viable meal option.

I can go pretty much the entire winter without thinking about ice cream. I mean, I think about it. But I’m not like OMIGOD-I-NEED-ALL-THE-ICE-CREAM-IN-MY-FACE-RIGHT-NOW thinking about it.

But all of that changes as soon as the weather warms up.

That’s when ice cream becomes approximately fifty percent of my diet.

The other fifty percent is beer. But it’s the girly, fruit-flavored kind of beer that they only sell in the spring and summer. So practically salad.

See? Totally salad.

See? Totally salad.

5. White wine.

IMG_8745

White wine is another thing I don’t really think that much about during the winter.

Probably because I’m too busy thinking about red wine. And by “thinking” I mean “drinking.” What did you think I meant?

It’s like this fun little surprise every spring when I remember that wine comes in a different color.

6. Wearing clothes I totally forgot I owned
This year, I’ve been trying to pay off some bills. Which means I need to stick to something of a budget. Which means I haven’t bought any new clothes since December. Which means I’VE BEEN DYING OVER HERE, you guys.

That’s three months without so much as a new scarf! I think this is something of a new world record.

This week things got a bit easier on me when I was able to ditch the same old sweaters and sensible pants and winter scarves I’ve been wearing for the past five months and replace them with cute dresses and flouncy skirts and, well, spring scarves.

Because, yes, spring scarves are totally a thing.

Rocking the spring scarf.

Rocking the spring scarf.

8. Anything is possible.
Maybe there’s something about seeing new flowers spring up where there was once a huge mound of snow, that makes you believe that truly anything is possible.

Like, for example, this week I convinced myself that I should take up running again even though my knees will probably self-destruct if I do.

I’ve also convinced myself that I should start a window garden even though I can barely keep myself alive and really should not be in charge of other living things.

And then I bought myself a container of ice cream and told myself I wouldn’t eat it all in one night.

And then I ate it all in one night.

Because, maybe not everything is possible.

Plus I ate it with fruity beer. So, totally a salad.

What do you like about spring?

1. On April 13, 2014 at 7:05 pm Ailsa Ross said:

You’re killing me! I just moved from Mexico City to the Canadian Rockies. What are flowers? What is spring? I don’t even know anymore.

P.S. Love your hipster glasses in the ice-cream pic. That’s the look you were going for, right?
    Ailsa Ross recently posted..Finding Peace after Travel

2. On April 13, 2014 at 9:58 pm Janice said:

Fall is my favorite too! And Spring is a close second because it is like a milder winter. I like cold weather. Summer is my nemesis.
    Janice recently posted..Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor + Giveaway

• On April 14, 2014 at 9:18 pm Sally said:

Summer, yeesh. Yuck. (Although I do kind of like Buffalo summers since they’re pretty mild. But summer anywhere else… especially if that anywhere else is hot and humid… yuck.)

3. On April 14, 2014 at 3:54 am Hata Trbonja said:

I agree! I started to love spring recently. The flowers, the smell of fresh grass and let’s not forget baby animals are born in the spring. It’s no Indian summer/ early fall (my favorite time of year) but, I still love it.
    Hata Trbonja recently posted..Do you have the Expat Flu, too?

4. On April 14, 2014 at 9:49 am Karisa said:

I love Spring!!!!!!!!! It truly feels like such a relief after this absurd snowy vortex winter we’ve just suffered through. And I must agree with you about white wine, ice cream and the tyranny of socks. <3
    Karisa recently posted..A Springtime Visit to Washington D.C.

5. On April 14, 2014 at 4:42 pm Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said:

Haha I agree with you on all points, especially the ice cream!
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted..Nevis: Day 1

6. On April 14, 2014 at 6:26 pm Priya said:

I love Chicago Spring, especially after a REALLY cold and snowy winter. Everyone is outside and happy and ice cream trucks are out and about. I’m sure everyone is appreciating Spring a little more this year.
    Priya recently posted..Greetings From Sydney, Australia (My First Aussie Post)

7. On April 14, 2014 at 8:44 pm Ruth who used to live in China said:

I love spring because it’s garage sale season again! I’ve really missed them this winter because that’s where I get my stellar wardrobe from. Did I say stellar? Sorry, meant to say cheap!

Oh and here on the West Coast of Canada in Victoria we already have tulips blooming. And snow here lasts for only a couple of days. You need to move here all you ‘real’ Canadians and polar vortexed USAnians.

• On April 14, 2014 at 9:14 pm Sally said:

Garage sales! I haven’t been to one of those in ages. I feel I should start going to them again… that seems suitably Michigandery… right? Also, my mom would be so proud!

8. On April 15, 2014 at 4:01 am Jenni said:

You are close enough to Wisconsin that you can reach over and drink some Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy….or Lemon Berry Shandy….or Orange Shandy. It’s all good!

If I’m not eating ice cream, then shandy it is!
    Jenni recently posted..Aloha Sunday Update

9. On April 15, 2014 at 1:56 pm Pauline said:

Uuhh… Except I’m reading this on a day when it SNOWED here in Toronto this morning, the wind is still being really mean, and temperature is currently sitting below 0°C :'( I MISS SPRING!
    Pauline recently posted..Doorways, Chi-Town

• On April 20, 2014 at 10:08 am Sally said:

Ha ha. The day after I wrote this post, it snowed here in Michigan. I figured that was nature’s way of getting back at me for being happy. And, yes, it is all about ME. 🙂

10. On April 15, 2014 at 5:55 pm Angela said:

I was in Austria last summer and I picked up this awesome thing. Mix your white wine with chilled sparkling water. You can mix it 50/50 or 20/80. It feels very summer-ish and kind of healthy(it’s water! Water is good for you) but you get drunk none the less. It’s more a summer thing but spring is almost summer right?
    Angela recently posted..For The Weekend // 10

11. On April 15, 2014 at 8:02 pm Leslie in Portland, Oregon said:

I love spring because there is ample opportunity to spend time outside without getting wet or cold, because the daphne and lilac smell so good, and because it (spring) holds so many surprises! The older I get, the more I notice spring’s joys.

12. On April 16, 2014 at 10:05 am Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

Firstly, I think you’re the first person that I’ve ever come across who has referred to a season as “[their] boo”. Also I thought fall was my boo. Fall gets around, it seems.

I’m with you on spring, though. At least, my usual sentiment about it is not usually too enthusiastic. For me, it usually means rain. And here in Taipei, I’m already getting mosquitoes in my apartment. I don’t even know how they manage to get in here, what with the mosquito proof gauze type thing on my windows.

And that beer is a salad. I had a pineapple beer here. One of my five-a-day fruit and veg, for sure.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..Taipei Stop By Stop: #1 Yuanshan Station

13. On April 16, 2014 at 8:39 pm Savannah said:

I just started reading your blog and I absolutely love it! You are hilarious and very refreshing. Btw you rock those scarves.

14. On April 17, 2014 at 7:35 am Marta said:

Your post made me realize that I really need fancy springy sunglasses with colorful frames.

Also, I think that those are those super duper adorable balerina shoes that are so super duper expensive on the other side of the Ocean. I read about tchem for the first time in your blog and if I ever visit U S and A, they will be in the top 10 of my reasons to go.

15. On April 21, 2014 at 12:09 am Choi Kum Fook said:

I love spring! But I have not come across in seasonal country. The climate is moderate, everything start to activate, people use to planning their work or job in spring. What is about your planning Miss Sally?

16. On April 21, 2014 at 10:41 am Carmen said:

Where we’re from in Australia we don’t really get four seasons. It’s mainly just dry heat most of the time (we got married in autumn and it was 42 degrees Celsius – over 100F!) but I loved living in London and having all four seasons.
    Although I hated that drizzly rain, which came about 6 days out of 7…
    Carmen recently posted..Review: Seaman Journey catamaran in the Galapagos

• On April 21, 2014 at 6:37 pm Sally said:

Yeah, drizzly rain is the pits. Although, I will say it’s better than snow in April (which is what happened last week… right after I wrote this post).

17. On April 24, 2014 at 8:07 am Julie Kinnear said:

This post made me laugh so many times! Especially your “thinking” – “drinking” about wines…
    My list would probably consist of lying in the grass and reading a book (enjoying all the insects on you), the blossoming trees I miss to see like every year or the rediscovered positivity for starting a healthy lifestyle (again)

• On April 25, 2014 at 9:33 am Sally said:

Oh, yes, spring has even convinced ME that I like going to the gym. I’ve been twice this week already — I’m pretty sure that’s some kind of record. 🙂

18. On April 24, 2014 at 10:51 pm Ceri said:

Kalamazoo County Department of Zombie Removal???? OMG.

I’m moving to your town.
    Ceri recently posted..One Month (and a bit) in Korea

19. On April 25, 2014 at 9:01 pm Amanda said:

Well, I’m a total summer girl, so spring is super exciting. Kind of like my first date with summertime!!! Whoohoo! And yes, fruity beer is totally like a salad! Cheers!
    Amanda recently posted..Hello Color-Coordination

20. On April 28, 2014 at 2:16 pm Heather said:

I really fell in love with spring this year, too. There’s nothing like a polar vortex or five to give you a whole new appreciation for being outside in the sunshine!
    Heather recently posted..The Big Reveal: We’re Moving to LATVIA!

• On April 30, 2014 at 1:22 pm Sally said:

Yep! It’s been a super rainy week in Michigan and it’s the only week I have off until August and I don’t even mind that — so much better than snow!

1. unbrave girlRandom Stuff List - unbrave girl