100 Happy Days: Day 5

April 25, 2014

The website for the 100 Happy Days Challenge says that people who complete the challenge claim to be in a better mood and feel a lot more optimistic.

Well, you guys, I must be some kind of happiness over-achiever because I’m only on Day 5 of the challenge and I already feel much happier today than I did five days ago.

Admittedly, this probably has very little to do with the fact that I’ve been taking regular pictures of my lunch.

And a lot more to do with the fact that today is the very first day of my summer break.

WAHOOOOOOOO! SUMMMERRRRR BREEEAKKKKK! PARRRRTTAAAYYYYY! BRING ON THE MARGARITAS AND THE BARBECUES AND THE HAMMOCK AND THE ROAD TRIPS AND THE CHEESY BEACH BOOKS WITH PLOT LINES SO OBVIOUS YOU CAN SEE THEM FROM OUTER SPACE AND…

Or, umm, maybe not.

You see, my summer break is really only four days long as I need to be back at work next week to get ready for our summer semester.

But, hey, FOUR DAYS! That’s four whole days I don’t have to grade papers or plan lessons or wear pants.

And after this past semester, I could really use a break from the papers and the lesson planning and the pants.

Let’s just say it’s been a tough semester.

Most of this has been my fault.

Also, a little bit of winter’s fault. Because, seriously, winter, did we need all those polar vortexes? REALLY?

WHY, WINTER, WHY???

WHY, WINTER, WHY???

But mostly it’s been my fault.

First of all, I made the mistake of volunteering to teach a research writing class because, apparently, I’ve been suffering from some form of PTSD as the result of my past attempts at teaching research writing which has resulted in my blocking out how truly horrible it is to teach research writing.

Seriously, if there is anything more torturous than explaining the intricacies of APA in-text citation to a class full of students who are like APA in-text-WHAT-NOW I really don’t know what it is.

Plus, it doesn’t help that I have no earthly idea how to balance my work-life and my non-work-life. You’d think I would have learned this given the fact that I’ve had no fewer than eleventy jillion jobs in my lifetime, but, yeah, I suck at it. Big time.

In fact, I’d say that my non-work-life over the past two months has consisted solely of watching every single episode of Drop Dead Diva on Netflix until I started having dreams that I was a sassy, plus-sized lady-lawyer.

Which, frankly, is a lot better than the alternative: dreaming about grading research papers. Because, seriously, you guys if there’s one thing more depressing than actually grading research papers, it’s dreaming about grading research papers.

But, that’s all about to change.

At least, for the next four days.

I’m about to get a non-work-life that doesn’t include Netflix. Or, umm, maybe not quite as much Netflix. Because, seriously, who am I kidding?

Last night, I sat down with a water glass full of white wine and made a list of all the super-duper-fun-totally-not-Netflix things I want to do over the next four days and then mapped out which day I was going to do each one.

So, basically, I just made a lesson plan.

For my fun.

Because what?

Isn’t that how people have fun these days?

Do you plan out your fun? Or are you one of those people who is capable of having spontaneous fun and doesn’t have to plan ALL THE THINGS?

Also, feel free to follow along with my #100HappyDays photo challenge on Instagram. Or sign up for your own #100HappyDays photo challenge here. I should probably mention that none of the photos in this post are photos for the challenge because none of these photos make me happy. Except maybe the photo with the big water glass full of white wine.

1. On April 25, 2014 at 12:51 pm Ailsa Ross said:

You, lady, are an inspiration! First, I shoved (way too) many dumplings in my mouth as a result of seeing your first 100 Happy Days photo. Now I HAVE to watch Drop Dead Diva. Heyyy, I’ll read Ulyssees after I’m done with the show. Honest.
    Ailsa Ross recently posted..Wind, Sand and Stars

• On April 26, 2014 at 9:10 am Sally said:

Drop Dead Diva is just the right amount substance with fluff — perfect for when you’re suffering from research-paper-grading-brain. Plus, it won’t make you suspicious and think you’re constantly being followed, which happened to me after I binge-watched Revenge and Scandal.

2. On April 25, 2014 at 1:05 pm Kathryn Hunter said:

Having seen all the Netflix available episodes of DDD, I can totally see sliding into Jane’s persona while awake, so while asleep makes sense too. And, frankly, having spent far too much of my almost seven weeks in New Orleans inside figuring out what I want to do, I wish I’d made a lesson plan. And I *will* be making one for Paris!
    Kathryn Hunter recently posted..Tumbleweeds vs Strawberry Plants

• On April 26, 2014 at 9:07 am Sally said:

Oh yes, I found myself doing the Jane hair-flip and the saucy little thing she does with her hands when she’s in court more than a few times while I was in class. I also found myself really wanting a cute red suit.
      Good luck with your Paris lesson plan!

3. On April 25, 2014 at 1:25 pm Lucy said:

A lesson plan for fun?
    That is such a wonderful idea! I’m going to do that too, although I imagine most of it will revolve around food…!
    Have a fabulous four days!
    xx
    Lucy recently posted..A Tale of Train Station Kindness

4. On April 25, 2014 at 6:56 pm Isabelle said:

Yep, I definitely make a lesson plan for fun. I suck at improv.

• On April 26, 2014 at 9:05 am Sally said:

I think I like to think of myself as being good at being spontaneous. But then when I attempt to be spontaneous, I can’t think of anything to do so I just end up on my couch.

• On April 26, 2014 at 3:11 pm Isabelle said:

Exactly! I can count the numerous time I said ‘I will go see that exhibit at the museum soon’ but if I don’t actually plan it, I never go…

5. On April 25, 2014 at 7:43 pm elizabeth said:

For SRS, I do not know how to have fun WITHOUT having a list. Every year I do a list of my fun to-do’s to check off, because what makes fun things more fun? DOING SOMETHING FUN AND GETTING TO CROSS IT OFF A LIST!

elizabeth recently posted..Another delicious foodie event with Chef Tommy and Temple Sinai

6. On April 26, 2014 at 12:51 am Janice said:

Like you, I plan all my fun too!

But unlike you, all that research and coordinating of fun-ness usually means I’ve prematurely spent my excitement and will just end up exhausted on my couch, stuffing my face with ice cream, and passing out from the sugar rush.
    Janice recently posted..Adult Fail

• On April 26, 2014 at 9:02 am Sally said:

Haha. Well, I imagine there will be a few days of I’M-TOO-EXHAUSTED-TO-HAVE-FUN-NOW-LEAVE-ME-ALONE-SO-I-CAN-SIT-ON-MY-COUCH-AND-WATCH-NETFLIX-AND-BINGE-EAT-ICE-CREAM.

7. On April 26, 2014 at 2:20 am cantaloupe said:

I’m SO CLOSE to being done grading my students’ research papers and I just cannot bring myself to grade the last nine. (Yes I counted. And after every single one I grade, I recount. Just to see if maybe one of them disappeared somewhere.) I can imagine how awesome you must feel to be done with that balderdash.

Enjoy your summer!!!
    cantaloupe recently posted..The good in people

• On April 26, 2014 at 9:00 am Sally said:

Omigosh, I KNOW that counting game. In fact, I thought I had invented it…
      Good luck with your research paper grading. And, be sure to have a big bottle of wine ready for when you’re finally done!

8. On April 26, 2014 at 6:42 pm Madison said:

Ha! I love the water glass of wine, much more practical. One refill and you’re done the bottle. I’ve never understood people who say there’s 4 glasses in a bottle…?
    Madison recently posted..Bellamar

9. On April 26, 2014 at 10:12 pm Priya said:

I think four days is enough time for fun. And knowing you, you’re going to have LOTS of it!!! I have never scheduled my fun but maybe I need to start 🙂
    Priya recently posted..Greetings From Sydney, Australia (My First Aussie Post)

• On April 30, 2014 at 1:26 pm Sally said:

I did have a lot of fun! But all that fun was kind of exhausting. Hence the reason why I’m spending my last day in yoga pants, making banana bread and drinking tea. 🙂

10. On May 1, 2014 at 9:54 am Carmen said:

Glad your Happiness Challenge is going well my #challengebuddy 🙂
    I’ve been at it too, and am really enjoying it!
    I’m seriously addicted to Netflix too… It’s a tough habit to kick.
    Oh and I’m one for planning my fun as well 😉
    Carmen recently posted..Photo essay: Animals of the Galapagos

11. On May 1, 2014 at 12:54 pm Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life said:

When I have time off, it usually turns into one of two things. Planning a trip which can be tiring, or doing absolutely nothing except for Netflix marathons. I recommend the L word for a throwback.
    Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life recently posted..Groningen, The Netherlands: Ever Heard of It?

• On May 1, 2014 at 5:51 pm Sally said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve never watched the L-word. (I think I didn’t have cable or wasn’t in the country when it was big). I might have to check it out. It could help with my OITNB withdrawal. 🙂

12. On May 1, 2014 at 10:44 pm Ceri said:

Hahaha! I love that. I’m glad you’re getting on with your happiness challenge well but you definitely need to be careful with your out-of-work time. Remember what happened to Edward James Olmos in Stand and Deliver? is that you as a teacher?
    Ceri recently posted..Springtime and Cherry Blossoms in Korea

13. On November 1, 2014 at 11:20 pm Holly said:

Always great to read what makes others happy and thankful. Feeling thankful every day over small and large things. Especially important when you find yourself in a whole new world (I recently moved from Indiana to Saudi) Thanks for the read!

1. unbrave girlMitten List: Tulip Time Festival | unbrave girl