100 Happy Days: Day 1

April 21, 2014

Prepare yourself, you guys.

For the next one hundred days, I’m going to be bombarding you with happiness. Like, literally, blasting you with joy. Blowing up the old internet machine with warm hugs and rainbows and cupcakes with jelly beans on top.

You see, I’ve signed up for the 100 Happy Days challenge

How it works is that every day for one hundred days, you take a picture of something that makes you happy. And then you tweet it, Facebook it, Instagram it or email it out into the world. And after one hundred days of doing this, you will, apparently, feel happier and be a nicer person and fall in love and solve world peace.

Or something.

I should probably mention that I totally stole this idea from my friend, MaryAnne. But she stole this idea from her friend. So I guess we’re all about even now, right?

Anyway, I started the project today. And, of course, my first happy photo was of my lunch. Because, seriously, if there’s anything that makes me happy it’s lunch. And breakfast. And dinner. And second-lunch.

But this wasn’t just any lunch, this was a FREE lunch. You see, at the end of the semester, my department gives us a coupon that will let us get anything we want for lunch at the university cafeteria for free.

You would probably think that as an adult with a full-time job, I wouldn’t get insanely happy about a free lunch from the university cafeteria. But you’d be thinking wrong. Because, seriously, you guys, I’ve been planning this free lunch ALL SEMESTER. Especially after last semester, when I was totally unprepared and ended up with some lame ass salad and a bag of Sun Chips.

This time I had the whole cafeteria staked out, and grabbed the most expensive thing I could find: eel and avocado sushi and dumplings.

sushi

I have no earthly idea where they managed to find eel in Michigan. And I don’t really care. Because the whole lot cost fourteen dollars.

FOURTEEN DOLLARS!

For lunch!

At a university cafeteria!

I’m pretty sure that’s some kind of world record. Do they give out awards for sticking it to The Man? Because I totally deserve one.

Oh, and I also got some Reese’s eggs. Because, you guys, it’s a long, sad slog until Reese’s pumpkins.

reeses eggs

Even though it’s only the first day of this project, I have a good feeling about this.

I also have a feeling that at least seventy-five percent of my happy photos will be of food.

And the others will be of cats.

And beer.

And cats with beer.

Consider yourself warned.

What made you happy today?

Care to join me? You can follow along with my #100HappyDays on Instagram. And you can do your own 100 Happy Days challenge by signing up here.

1. On April 21, 2014 at 7:49 pm Ailsa Ross said:

Far as I’m concerned, you can take as many pictures of fried dumplings and cats with beer as you want! I’ll be there, watching creepily. I mean, happily. I said happily, ok?!
    Ailsa Ross recently posted..Spend your holidays camping alone

2. On April 21, 2014 at 10:54 pm Anja said:

I’m in!
    Anja recently posted..Tiong Bahru Singapore

3. On April 22, 2014 at 4:16 am Hata Trbonja said:

I have heard so much about this challenge. What makes me happy is reading funny stuff like your blog. Creepy and eye-roll inducing. I know.
    I think I might start my own challenge called 100 days of healthy. Ways that you are good to your body everyday.
    Hata Trbonja recently posted..Easter in France

4. On April 22, 2014 at 5:46 am Priya said:

Love it!!! I’ve seen A LOT of this going around on FB. I’m not sure if I can do it though. Looking forward to it 🙂

5. On April 22, 2014 at 10:13 pm becky hutner said:

i’ve also been enjoying a lot of food-related happiness. the following are highlights of my week so far in southwest england:

fish n’ chips
    scones with clotted cream
    veggie curry made from scratch by our host
    5-layer chocolate/coffee cake made by a friend

tomorrow, we high tea!! good luck with the challenge, sally. sounds like it’s gonna be delicious.
    becky hutner recently posted..Fashion ‘Round the World: What people wore in Jan ’14

6. On April 23, 2014 at 8:56 am Carmen said:

My friend is doing this on Facebook and I’ve been loving her progress. Looking forward to following you too… and now I’m tempted to give it a go 🙂 You can follow my Instagram to see my progress if you like >> http://www.instagram.com/doublebarrelledtravel

Will start tomorrow!
    Carmen recently posted..Exploring North Seymour Island in the Galapagos

7. On April 24, 2014 at 11:34 am Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

Eel and avocado sushi. Dumplings. Reese’s peanut butter eggs. You, m’lady, ARE A GENIUS.

And yay for 100 happy days! There had better be bacon. And some kind of creeper photograph of a real-life version of Shang from Mulan. And cake.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..Taipei Is So Gay. And I Love It.

8. On April 24, 2014 at 11:02 pm Ceri said:

If I had an Instagram, I’d definitely do it. And free lunch!!! Hell yeah, well played! 😀
    Ceri recently posted..One Month (and a bit) in Korea

9. On May 5, 2014 at 9:40 am Eileen黃愛玲 said:

Good things to be happy about, for sure! I’m also doing the challenge. 🙂 It honestly does improve your mood. 🙂

I will be posting may cats (and dogs) with food, as well.
    Eileen黃愛玲 recently posted..Inspiration from an espresso

1. The Challenge | The Loveable Happy Miss Mary Poppins