March Gratitude List

March 30, 2014
You guys, it’s almost April!

Holy canoli, what the heck happened to March?

Oh wait.

I think I remember.

First, I went to New York and ATE ALL THE FOOD.

And then I got back to Michigan, where it snowed a whole bunch, and I watched every single episode of  Scandal on Netflix until I convinced myself that I am Olivia Pope. (IT’S BEING HANDLED.)

So, I guess this means it’s time to tell you what I’m grateful for this month, huh? Here goes:

1. Spring!
Yes, I know it was still snowing in Michigan as of yesterday. But it was that wet rainy-sludgy-snow, so that’s kind of spring-like, right?

Plus, if you live or have ever lived in Michigan, then you know that spring doesn’t begin when the snow stops. Because, really, you guys, if we had to wait until then, it would probably be June.

Nope, spring starts when they start selling Oberon, a pale wheat-ale, which is only sold from March to Labor Day each year. So when you see that stuff on the shelves, you know that spring is here no matter what the pile of snow on the ground says.

Hello, spring!

Hello, spring!

Yep, you heard me. The seasons in this state are dictated by beer. As they should be EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD EVER.

2. Random strangers who compliment me on stuff
Who doesn’t love being complimented by strangers? Isn’t it like the best feeling ever to have someone you don’t know say something really nice about you?

Last week, I had two random strangers compliment me, and I’m pretty sure neither of them wanted money from me. How sweet is that?

The first person was a woman at Panera who told me she’d seen me there before, and she always thinks I look super stylish, and that when she returns to work, she wants to start dressing like me. (Expert tip: In order to dress like me, you must buy all your clothes at Old Navy and Target. No exceptions.)

This whole look could be yours for $20 at Old Navy.

Old Navy/Target chic

The other was the clerk at Subway who told me he really liked my hair. And then he kind of just kept staring at my hair in a way that made me slightly uncomfortable and also worried that he might try to grab a chunk of it if I made the mistake of getting too distracted.

This is not to say that I didn’t appreciate his compliment. It’s just to say that I made sure to watch my back when I turned around to get a bag of Sun Chips from the rack behind me.

3. Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs

If there exists a more perfect snack-treat, I assure you I don’t know what it is.
4. Friday fish fry
I grew up in Buffalo, where they are all about the Friday fish fry. Every single greasy spoon, seedy tavern, Irish pub and church basement has a fish fry on Friday during Lent.

The fish is usually the size of your head or bigger. And you get a pile of fries, coleslaw, macaroni salad and bread because WE LIKE OUR FOOD, OKAY.

Buffalo fish fry

Buffalo fish fry

I didn’t really realize that this was a Buffalo thing, until I decided to find a fish fry here in Kalamazoo. It took me an entire morning of Google searching, and asking people at work, but I finally found a place in town that had one.

The portions weren’t nearly as insane as they are in Buffalo. And they gave me a piece of baked cod in addition to my fried fish, which I was like, “What the WHAT NOW? BAKED cod? This isn’t called a FISH BAKE, you guys.”

Kalamazoo fish fry. Notice the fish is NOT the same size as my head. Probably because I have a big head.

But it was still pretty good.

Also, super cheap.

Plus, beer. So there.

5. Movie theaters with beer.

beermovie

I went to see Divergent in the movie theater on opening weekend because I’m seriously a fourteen-year-old girl.

But I got to drink beer while I was watching it because I went to a cinema that serves beer. Which is totally a thing here in Kalamazoo. In fact, the two theaters I’ve been to here both serve beer. As all movie theaters should EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD EVER.

Sure, I was watching a cheesy teen movie. But I was also drinking a fancy-pants microbrew beer.

So that made me feel real mature.

That is until I moved on to the milkshake portion of my meal.

What are you grateful for this month? Also beer in movie theaters? Do they have that where you live? I’m asking for a friend.

1. On March 30, 2014 at 9:27 pm Pamm said:

Try bowling alleys and the VFW/Elks/Lions Clubs for fish frys. Or go to Milwaulkee – you can’t swing a cat without finding one.

• On April 6, 2014 at 11:30 am Sally said:

This fish fry was at a Knights of Columbus. So similar idea to the Lions Club, I guess. And you are like the third or fourth person who has told me that Wisconsin is the place to be for fish fries. I seriously need to get myself there!

• On April 7, 2014 at 7:10 pm Jen said:

But Sally… mac and cheese instead of macaroni salad and coleslaw. If nothing else that should elevate it to awesome. 🙂

• On April 14, 2014 at 9:26 pm Sally said:

I’m willing to hear you out on that. But they seriously need to get some bigger fish. I mean, I didn’t leave feeling positively ill from eating too much. That’s not right.

2. On March 30, 2014 at 10:39 pm Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs?!? These need a whole post of their own.

Also I hope you threw the baked cod at your server and demand that it be plunged into a deep-fat fryer IMMEDIATELY.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..Say It With Me: Sha-war-ma

• On March 31, 2014 at 9:40 pm Sally said:

If only I had! Plus, it was at the Knights of Columbus, which I think is some kind of religious organization. I find it’s best to cause a scene at those kind of places. Makes them remember you. And pray for you. Just covering my bases….

3. On March 31, 2014 at 3:57 am J in Beijing said:

Whaaaat? Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs? Eggs? I am seriously envious. Please send me some to Beijing. Thanks! 🙂
    J in Beijing recently posted..What Exactly Is An “I Love Beijing!” Day?

• On March 31, 2014 at 9:38 pm Sally said:

They are pretty much the best. The Reese pumpkins come in a close second, but there’s just something about those freaking eggs. Plus, I love that they sell them individually, so I can buy one at a time, instead of a whole pack, which would last all of 20 minutes in my house.

4. On March 31, 2014 at 6:35 am Kerry said:

FRICKING PEANUT BUTTER EGGS

I was so happy until you reminded me they existed, and I can’t get them in the UK

Why, Sally

why 🙁
    Kerry recently posted..“The Knight of the Burning Pestle” at Shakespeare’s Globe

5. On March 31, 2014 at 8:14 am Alex Monckton said:

Totally nailed it! April here in the tropics means the beginning of the end of the humid wet season (does that even make sense?) and cooler temperatures. Cooler temperatures (relatively speaking) mean better conditions for home brewing. Bring on April!
    Alex Monckton recently posted..Hello world!

• On March 31, 2014 at 9:36 pm Sally said:

Homebrewing in the tropics? People do that? I thought that was just something you did in the North to have something to do during the long winters. Also, so you don’t have to brave the snow to go get beer. 🙂

6. On March 31, 2014 at 12:44 pm Sine said:

Beer in movie theaters, I love it! Reminds me of that really funky movie theater in New Zealand where you sat in old armchairs (one of them being the old backseat from a vintage VW Beetle) and ordered gourmet food from waiters during the previews. LOVED that place! Still, not sure if I could abide with real spring starting in June to have beer in movie theaters. It’s been bad enough here in the South this winter…
    Sine recently posted..Newly Released: KILIMANJARO DIARIES Now Available on Kindle!

• On March 31, 2014 at 9:35 pm Sally said:

Well, it’s been spring-like for almost two days here. I think it goes back to snowing tomorrow, but for now I’m sitting around with my windows open, enjoying life!

7. On March 31, 2014 at 2:18 pm Heather said:

I saw a recipe recently for baking Cadbury Creme Eggs into brownies. I bet they’d be just as amazing with the Reese’s Eggs.
    Heather recently posted..International Spy Museum: Celebrating 50 Years of James Bond

• On March 31, 2014 at 9:34 pm Sally said:

OMIGOD. BEST IDEA EVER. I totally want to do this. That is if I can not eat the Reese’s eggs long enough to bake them into brownies… yeah, no, probably not.

8. On March 31, 2014 at 4:27 pm Mandie said:

OMG, Oberon is the 2nd best beer in the world (2nd only to Gumballhead). And getting to legally drink in a movie theater?? That’s amazeballs! I always thought that’s what over-sized purses were made for. 🙂

9. On March 31, 2014 at 7:49 pm Isabelle said:

No we don’t have movie theaters that serve beer in Montreal!
    I’m grateful for the week I spent on a beach in Mexico! I’m just so fed up with winter…
    I also got a compliment from a stranger, well I think it was a compliment… This lady in Cancun airport wanted to know the name of the color I used on my hair, except that I have natural white hair… So I guess she liked the color? But it does sound weird that someone would want to color their hair white, no?

• On March 31, 2014 at 9:33 pm Sally said:

Wow. That’s kind of a weird compliment. But, hey, as long as she didn’t look like she was going to STEAL your hair, I’d be cool with it!

10. On April 1, 2014 at 4:16 pm Leslie in Portland, Oregon said:

Three more reasons for you to visit Portland: at least two movie theaters that serve beer (and food!); many, many microbrews; and little, if any, snow in the winter.

I’m grateful to have attained the incredibly old age (67) that I celebrated last week, and for the dynamite spouse and the kids who came from afar to celebrate with me!

11. On April 4, 2014 at 4:13 pm Amy said:

I am grateful for Reester bunnies, both large & small & the giant Reese eggs. Also that I don’t have diabetes yet & that I went to a matinee to see Divergent so I didn’t pay full price.

12. On April 4, 2014 at 9:25 pm Stephanie - The Travel Chica said:

Mmmm… Bells
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Night Light

13. On April 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm Sue B said:

Cadbury caramel eggs. Enough said.

• On April 14, 2014 at 9:25 pm Sally said:

I know this may sound like crazy-pants, but I’m not a caramel person. I have super sensitive teeth and caramel is usually way too sweet for me. DON’T HATE ME!

14. On April 14, 2014 at 11:34 am Rachael said:

I am from Brockport and now I live in the Capital Region, and the “fish fries” here are SAD. They are THIN and they come on a BUN. It’s a travesty.
    Rachael recently posted..Quizzical