Well, have you ever actually tried doing it? I mean, sitting down each day and coming up with a list? It sounds easy enough, right? But, it’s SUPER DUPER HARD, you guys. I’ve tried it multiple times. And usually I can only keep at it for about a week before my list ends up looking something like this:
1. I’m grateful for nachos.
2. I’m grateful for not punching anyone in the face today even though I kind of wanted to.
3. Did I mention nachos?
4. Also beer. I’m grateful for that.
5. SRSLY, IF MY NEIGHBORS DON’T STOP SCREAMING AT THEIR VIDEO GAMES, IMMA GONNA PUNCH SOMEONE IN THE FACE FOR REALZ, OKAY?
I kind of have a feeling Oprah would not approve.Despite my inability to do an acceptable job at the whole gratitude list thing before, I’ve decided to have a try at it again.
But maybe not everyday. I mean that’s a little bit excessive. I mean, seriously, who’s that grateful? Certainly not me.
And instead of doing it in a journal for myself, I’m doing it on this here blog. Because, seriously, I can’t write anything for myself any more. I can only write if I know I will get instant Internet feedback. It’s like I’m one of those dogs that does tricks for meat-flavored snack-treats. Except my meat-flavored snack-treats are comments. And Facebook likes. And tweets.
Things I’m Grateful for This Month
1. My CoworkersI don’t write about the people I work with because I don’t want to be that person in the office that everyone’s being nice to because she might write mean things about them on her blog.
Oh wait, I totally want to be that person. Nevermind.
The truth is I work with some pretty awesome folks. They have been super welcoming and super helpful. One of my coworkers has even started picking me up everyday since my car has stopped working, which I feel a bit bad about because I know my apartment is totally out of her way and that I could totally walk to work, but I don’t feel bad enough to tell her to stop. At least not until it stops snowing.
2. My StudentsI also don’t write about my students really ever for various reasons, but the truth is they’re pretty awesome-pants too. They even threw me a party on my birthday complete with a cake and the hugest balloon bouquet ever.
It was super sweet.
And super effective at getting them out of the quiz they were supposed to take that day.
3. Real LettersI love, love, LOVE real letters, but I hardly ever get them because the Internets.
Plus, I never, ever send them myself, so I can’t really blame other people for not sending them to me.
But since it was my birthday a few weeks ago, I’ve gotten a couple real letters from family members, and it’s such a fun, simple surprise every time I open my mailbox and discover something else besides a flyer for Papa John’s Double Cheeseburger Pizza.
Especially when that something else has unicorns on it.
4. The Library
But one thing that I can’t quite get over is the libraries. Every time I walk into one, I think, “Wait a second. Lemme get this straight. I can have any of these books for free? ARE THESE PEOPLE CRAZY?”
5. BeerSeriously, did you think I could get through an entire gratitude list without mentioning beer?
Also, probably, nachos.What are you grateful for this month?