Split Pea Soup for the Broken Hearted

January 19, 2014
I had a much happier blog post planned for today.

But I can’t even, you guys.

I just can’t even right now.

You see, my car’s not starting. AGAIN. And, while I have no problem functioning without a functioning car, I do have a problem with spending a bajillion dollars getting my car fixed and then having it break down three days later.

And, while I try to stay positive about these kind of things, I will admit I’m more than significantly bummed at the moment. Especially since I have Monday off, so I had big plans for me and my car this weekend — like maybe we’d even go some place. Some place I can’t even walk to. I haven’t been to one of those places in WEEKS.

But, sadly, I can’t do that now.

So, I’ve been doing the only thing I can do. Listening to the Indie folk revival station on Pandora, drinking red wine and making split pea soup.

And, yes, that is wine in a water glass. Because the one and only wine glass that I currently own is dirty and washing dishes is another thing I can’t bring myself to do right now. After all, washing dishes is for the hopeful — for people who can foresee a future where they might want to eat dinner out of something besides a Tupperware container.

Today, you guys,  I am not one of those people.

I bought a bag of dried split green peas months ago with the intention of making soup even though I’ve never made split pea soup before. But, since then, I got all caught up in making other soups — cream of cauliflower, gingered squash, curry carrot — happy, joyful, my-car-is-actually-starting soups.

But today I pulled out the bag of tiny green pellet-like peas determined to finally make split pea soup. I mean, is there any soup more cut out for days when you just want to throw yourself from a moving vehicle? But you can’t. Because your vehicle can’t move. I’m pretty sure there is not.

I rinsed the peas as directed in the warning on the back of the bag, saying that the package may contain foreign material despite “modern cleaning equipment.” Bah! Modern equipment! Just like stupid cars! Can’t be trusted!

Also on the back of the package was a recipe for something called “Good Split Pea Soup.”

Which I decided not to follow because I tend to be wary of any recipe that has the word good in the name. I mean, no one’s going to be, like, “Hey, try our recipe for ‘Just So-So Split Pea Soup.'” Or “We should totally call this, ‘What Were We Even Thinking Split Pea Soup’!”

Besides, the recipe called for elbow macaroni. So, umm, yeah, what WERE you thinking, Split Pea Company?

Instead, I cobbled together a pile of ingredients resembling the list of ingredients in this recipe. But instead of using ham hocks, I used just regular non-hocky ham.

No hocks here!

Also, instead of marjoram I used thyme because I don’t own any marjoram. Honestly, until today I thought marjoram was the name of some famous actor person’s kid. Apparently, it’s a spice. Who knew?

I chopped everything up and threw it all in a pot and let it simmer for an hour until the peas were all mushy like my dream of a weekend excursion.

And then I blended it all together because I’m a smooth soup freak. Seriously, I puree ALL THE SOUPS. In fact, I’ve probably killed more immersion blenders than cars.

I topped my soup with homemade croutons because BREAD, okay? I’m pretty sure carbs — especially those fried in olive oil and oregano — cure all manner of heartbreak.

The soup turned out hearty and homey and just the teensiest hopeful.

Not, like, Maybe-my-car-will-actually-work-tomorrow hopeful.

But more, like, Maybe-I’ll-actually-wash-some-dishes-tonight hopeful.

DSC07272Or not.

Do you have a favorite soup for curing heartbreak?

1. On January 19, 2014 at 11:16 pm Carmel said:

Hmm…I’m split (see what I did there??) between good old tomato soup – mostly so I can have the grilled cheese – and pozole. Both make me feel comforted, but the latter is much healthier for me.

Sorry about the car. I swear my stress levels came down by about 50% when we sold our car. I hate repairs. I feel your pain.
    Carmel recently posted..THE YUMMY FILES: THAILAND

• On January 20, 2014 at 12:10 pm Sally said:

I’ve never even heard of pozole. I think it’s time to do a Google search!
      And, yes, I’m seriously contemplating getting rid of my car. I’ve survived the last 3 weeks without it for the most part. Plus I can get free public bus transport with my school ID and bum rides off my coworkers. It would just be nice to have a car on weekends to go places, especially since there’s no carshare or zipcars in this area. But I could probably rent a car once a month to take a trip and it would cost less than all I’m spending on repairs and insurance now. Uggh!

2. On January 19, 2014 at 11:21 pm Priya said:

I don’t know how to make soup, but I have a favorite soup place! Only they don’t deliver, so boo. P.S. You’re gonna have to walk to pick me up when I come to visit, FYI. Can’t wait!
    Priya recently posted..The Second Job I’ve Quit In Three Months

3. On January 19, 2014 at 11:32 pm Debbie Gutowski said:

OMG, you just reminded me that I actually OWN an immersion blender now! Must make a soup I can puree… corn & sweet potato chowder, here I come! I actually have a really good split pea soup recipe from my mom that also involves ham and potatoes and tomato juice. Love it.
    But my soup of sadness is a veggie bean soup with bacon. It started out so hopeful, but as I was making it, I discovered that the pipes in the basement had frozen and then burst as they were thawing. My first week as a single parent last year. I really can’t being myself to make that soup again for fear that something bad will happen. (Because the soup was clearly responsible, right?)

4. On January 19, 2014 at 11:32 pm Meesh said:

good old fashioned tomato soup. with grilled cheese sandwich on the side.

or a big bowl of cream of mushroom, with tuna sandwich on the side.

5. On January 19, 2014 at 11:51 pm Wendy said:

I make soups with fatty spicy meats like my grandma Chaney’s lentil soup, aptly called Grandma Chaney’s lentil soup. It has pepperoni, onion, garlic and bay leaves browned in fat back…seriously. And of course lentils. It is the most bad for me soup I make and it makes me deliriously happy. I hope you find a good mechanic. I always ask my coworkers who they use when I am in a new town. They haven’t led me astray.
    Smile it will make you feel better.
    Wendy
    PS…maybe it is another stay in bed all day kind of day.

• On January 20, 2014 at 12:05 pm Sally said:

Sadly, the mechanic I used was a coworker’s recommendation. I guess my car is just a mechanic medical mystery.
      And your soup sounds AMAZING. I had no idea there was lentil soup with fatty spicy meats??? That might actually help me like lentil soup! (Not that I hate lentil soup. I just don’t have strong feelings for it one way or the other.)

• On January 22, 2014 at 12:43 am Wendy said:

Sally here’s the recipe.
        1 package lentils about 2-3 cups
        6 cups H2O
        1/2 salt pork (I sometimes sub bacon)
        1 large Onion
        1-2 bay leaves
        1/4 tsp oregano
        1 large clove garlic
        3oz pepperoni
        Soak lentils in H2O for 1 hour. Fry salt pork until crisp. Pour off all but 4 tbsp of fat. Add remaining ingredients in fat and fry until onion is golden, then add to water and lentils. Simmer until lentils are tender.
        Hope you like it.
        Wendy

6. On January 20, 2014 at 12:02 am Christy@SweetandSavoring said:

My favorite line: “…until the peas were all mushy like my dream of a weekend excursion.” Oh Sally! Car trouble sucks, I’m sorry your plans were ruined. You make me laugh even when you are heartbroken.
    I definitely don’t make soups when I’m sad, I usually go for things like cookies. My most recent favorite batch was oatmeal butterscotch- aaaaaamaaaazing.
    Christy@SweetandSavoring recently posted..Travel Retrospective: Remembering Vienna

7. On January 20, 2014 at 1:13 am Edna said:

My favorite: “for days when you just want to throw yourself from a moving vehicle? But you can’t. Because your vehicle can’t move.” I’m kind of broken hearted at the moment too (though not car-related) so this cheered up me. Hooray and thanks for pea soup blogging 🙂
    Edna recently posted..Upheaval

8. On January 20, 2014 at 4:27 am Janice said:

Sorry about your car. =( My favourite soup for curing heartbreak is Korean fermented soybean soup. It’s full of things I don’t recognize, so none of my favourite vegetables have to suffer my wrath. It’s also salty and although I love it, there’s a certain “Something’s not right with this” quality…just like my life when I eat it.
    Janice recently posted..Adventures in the Eaton’s Catalogue

9. On January 20, 2014 at 4:52 am Hata Trbonja said:

I go through heartbreak every Monday when I have to be a teacher instead of a blogger. I make a good old vegetable soup that starts with a box of soup from Trader Joe’s. Lots of veggies and beans later…I am a happy camper. I wish I could come over and make you a bowl. Have a better rest of the week.
    Hata
    Hata Trbonja recently posted..Detox Like the French

10. On January 20, 2014 at 11:13 am Steph | A Nerd At Large said:

Under those circumstances I prefer soup made of chocolate. I think other people call it fondue.
    Steph | A Nerd At Large recently posted..A Year of Geektastic Adventures in 23 Photographs

11. On January 20, 2014 at 11:14 am Steph said:

I miss my immersion blender so much- for some reason I didn’t think I would need it in Mexico. Sigh.

12. On January 21, 2014 at 5:20 am Jack said:

Looks yum! Too bad I am vegetarian 😀
    BTW, I just realized, you look like Ursula Martinez – the naked magician chick.

13. On January 21, 2014 at 4:13 pm Heather said:

I took an immersion blender with me to Shanghai and it got me through the heartbreak of pollution-so-thick-you-could-cut-it-with-a-knife. I like to roast red peppers and tomatoes with olive oil, dried herbs and crushed red pepper, then puree with chicken broth. I enjoy this with grilled cheese, or in Shanghai, grilled processed cheese-like product.
    Heather recently posted..The Royal Palace of Gödöllő, Hungary

14. On January 22, 2014 at 6:02 am warriorofthepen said:

Roasted Butternutsquash soup with a hint of chili and a splash of freshly squuezed orange soup.
    Or spicy parsnip soup
    warriorofthepen recently posted..Book Review No. 1 – The Last Juror by John Grisham (2004)

15. On January 24, 2014 at 9:56 am Ceri said:

Ooooh, I’m a soup junkie. Spicy cabbage soup always does the trick for me. 😀
    Ceri recently posted..It’s Official! I’m Moving Away Again …

16. On January 25, 2014 at 1:11 am cbgreenheron said:

Marjoram…must suggest that as a possible baby name for the next pregnant woman I meet! Good idea, that one. Thyme is one of my favorite herbs….

17. On January 25, 2014 at 6:48 am Naomi said:

French Onion Soup. Cheese AND Bread, definitely your sort of soup methinks.
    Naomi recently posted..10 Reasons why you shouldn’t travel with me