Happy 2014! Let’s talk about pants! Or lack thereof!

January 1, 2014
You know how they say that the way you spend New Year’s Eve will determine how you will spend the rest of the upcoming year?

If 2014 turns out anything like last night, I’d be totally cool with that. Because, uh, this was last night and it was AWESOME:

Prosecco, homemade veggie pizza, pink fluffy slippers, polka dot pajamas and Last Holiday on Netflix.
BEST. NEW YEAR’S EVE. EVER.

This was the first New Year’s Eve that I can remember that I didn’t do something or go somewhere or hang out with someone.

It was also the first New Year’s Eve that I can remember that I didn’t end the evening feeling really cranky because I was either too drunk or too sober or too cold or too uncomfortable or too-the-only-person-at-the-party-not-kissing-someone-at-midnight.

Instead I ended the evening pretty much the same way I started. Except with decaf green tea instead of booze because I ran out of Prosecco somewhere around ten o’clock. And the live stream of the ball dropping in Time Square instead of Last Holiday because I ran out of Queen Latifah and LL Cool J about the same time I ran out of booze.

Of course, this is not to say that I hope my 2014 is spent avoiding real pants and social interaction. I mean, not any more than usual.

My only resolution for the year is pretty much the same as last year’s — do more things that make me happy.

But, instead of doing things that I think should make me happy because those are the things that seem to be make other people happy, I’d love it if my 2014 was spent doing more things that truly do make me happy.

Even if those things involve wearing real pants.

How did you ring in New Year’s Eve? Got any resolutions for 2014 you’d like to share?

1. On January 1, 2014 at 2:20 pm Meesh said:

I wish I had gone with my gut and done exactly what you did. Not that I had a “bad” time where I was, but it just wasn’t “good” or particularly “happy”, which I’m sure is more a reflection of me, and not my surroundings.

I like your resolution. I may adopt it, as I so far can’t be arsed to come up with any of my own, other than “get out of bed everyday, get dressed, and leave the apartment at some point”

That said, I’m holding steady on day one, so that’s a good thing.

• On January 1, 2014 at 2:31 pm Sally said:

I totally get it. My previous New Year’s Eve celebrations haven’t been “bad” (okay, there have been some REALLY bad ones — like in 2000 when I lost all my friends on the Mall in DC and ended up ringing in midnight on a metro car). But I just feel like New Year’s Eve is one of those holidays where there are too many expectations, and I end up feeling really let down by the end of the evening. It was so nice to spend New Year’s without any expectations and just doing exactly what I wanted to do.

• On January 1, 2014 at 5:06 pm Sam said:

Hey there, just wanted to chime in here since I found myself in exactly the same boat of wishing I had gone with my gut of having a nice relaxing evening home alone rather than going out and having an awkward time for NYE. Glad I’m not alone in this! Next year, I’m gonna do exactly what I want to do without any expectations. And yup, also working on simply doing more things that make me happy this year. And hi Sally! Been following your lovely blog for a little while now, just got up the courage to actually say something. Love your writing!
      Sam recently posted..South America Photo Essay: Patagonia

2. On January 1, 2014 at 2:31 pm Wendy said:

I fell asleep sonewhere between 1155 and 1215. Haha. In my yoga pants and under a pile of pooches. I love your resolution! I resolve to steal it. And I resolve to learn to be a better phone keypad typist. Hating autocorrect at the moment. Correcting the incorrect corrections not my favorite.
    Happy New Year!
    Wendy

• On January 1, 2014 at 2:33 pm Sally said:

Ooo, I may have to steal your resolution too. I’m horrible at typing on my phone — to the point that I just don’t even text people back. And when I do text people, what I text usually doesn’t make much sense. And I can’t even blame auto correct as I have that turned off on my phone. I think. Actually I have no idea how to turn it ON. I should probably just resolve to figure out how to work my phone.

3. On January 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm kathi said:

I spent my night much the same as you, watching Les Miserables, drinking a nice crisp white wine and enjoying a great meal. By myself. A couple of twinges of melancholy, but truth be told, I don’t enjoy noisy parties and I didn’t want to be out on the road with all of the crazies. At the end of the evening, content. The only thing that would have made it better would have been sharing it with a special someone, but I consider that the cherry on the sundae. The sundae by itself is pretty darn good. Happy New Year!

• On January 1, 2014 at 2:38 pm Sally said:

This was actually one of the first New Year’s Eves that I didn’t miss having someone special to spend it with. Probably because I knew I would have felt tempted to wear real pants if someone else was around. Plus, I had LL Cool J to keep me company!
      Although I did think at one point, “This could only get better if I had a cat.” So maybe that means in 2014 I will finally become the crazy cat lady I know I’m destined to be!

• On January 1, 2014 at 2:47 pm kathi said:

I forgot to mention the two little wiener dogs I was cuddled up with, one on each side. Which, I guess makes me Crazy Wiener Dog Lady, but it’s a title I can live with. 🙂

• On January 2, 2014 at 10:17 pm Sally said:

Somebody’s gotta be the crazy wiener dog lady — might as well be you! Sounds like an awesome title to have!

• On January 4, 2014 at 1:35 pm Leslie in Portland, Oregon said:

As a venerable weiner-dog-lady, I can attest to its incredible benefits! That my weiner dog has long, silky hair makes it even better. That he has a Golden Retriever sibling makes it glorious! We would like to add a cat, but spouse is seriously allergic, so that isn’t happening. P.S. Your NYE sounds wonderful!

• On January 6, 2014 at 4:10 pm Sally said:

It WAS wonderful, thanks! And thanks to the crazy weather and snow days at work, I’m getting even more days and evenings just like it. It’s so nice to just relax in my own home after the frenzy of a family Christmas.

4. On January 1, 2014 at 2:40 pm Heather said:

My parents and I went out for a full-on Southern feast replete with fried green tomatoes and shrimp ‘n grits. Then we watched the local fireworks, which were set off at 8pm. This left plenty of time for watching TV at home in our pajamas. I couldn’t have asked for more! Happy New Year 🙂
    Heather recently posted..Top Ferreting Experiences of 2013

5. On January 1, 2014 at 3:52 pm Runaway Brit said:

That sounds like the perfect way to spend NYE to me. NYE can be great fun, and I have had some really great ones. I have also had some terrible ones: getting dumped for another girl, getting robbed etc… People put so much pressure on the evening and it often ends up as a complete anti-climax.

I spent this NYE with my family and it was wonderful! I would like 2014 to involve much more family time.

Happy 2014!!
    Runaway Brit recently posted..New Year’s Eve Celebrations in Cornwall

• On January 2, 2014 at 10:15 pm Sally said:

Sounds like a fab resolution! I’m also looking forward to some increased family time in 2014 and increased family — I have a new niece or nephew due in June. Yay!

6. On January 1, 2014 at 3:55 pm Priya said:

I pretty much did what you did. I mean, I had the whole going-out-and-drinking-and-avoiding-that-guy-who-is-trying-to-kiss-every-girl-who-isn’t-kissing-anyone-at-midnight-experience. Plus, there was snow outside and ew.
    Priya recently posted..Small Ain’t My Size

7. On January 1, 2014 at 5:05 pm mallory said:

I am a huge fan of the quiet New Year’s Eve in. I spent it curled on the couch with prosecco, cheese, and fruit, knitting and watching The Lord of the Rings. Best way to do it! Happy 2014
    mallory recently posted..Happy New Year!

8. On January 2, 2014 at 3:48 am renegadepilgrim said:

I spent my evening at home, eating ice cream, watching episodes of “Lost Girl” (amazing Canadian show with first 3 seasons on Netflix!) and basically chilling out. I was supposed to be in bed so I could get up early and climb up Palmer Glacier on Mt. Hood to watch the sunrise but a sore throat and impending illness kept me away. Either way, I think 2014 is going to be awesome!

• On January 2, 2014 at 10:12 pm Sally said:

I’m writing down your Netflix suggestion. One of my resolutions is to become more addicted to TV dramas because that totally makes me happy… and obsessed… and staying up until all hours of the night… but also happy.

• On January 3, 2014 at 4:40 am renegadepilgrim said:

If you like “Buffy” or “Grimm” or any of the campy sci-fi shows out there, you’ll like it. Season 4 is starting on SyFy this month, but I figured out how to use a Chrome extension to change my ISP so it looks like I’m in Canada and I watch it via the website for the show. 🙂 Traveling has taught me many tricks and hacks to allow me to watch my shows in other countries! Have you gotten sucked into “Downton Abbey” yet? I’m not usually one for British dramas but I got into this one hook, line and sinker. Same goes for “Orange is the New Black”…

• On January 6, 2014 at 4:16 pm Sally said:

I have yet to watch “Downton Abbey.” I have a way of being totally sucked into these things and wanting to watch EVERY SINGLE EPISODE EVER. And then pretending I’m actually living in the series. Right now, I’m addicted to “Revenge,” which has made me suspicious of everybody and tempted to ninja kick all my neighbors.

• On January 7, 2014 at 1:18 am renegadepilgrim said:

I totally know what you’re talking about! There’s a part of me that wishes there was this “other” world of creatures that co-exist with humans and that somehow I am like Kenzi, the only human character in “Lost Girl” who knows what’s going on in the Fae world. I am ashamed to admit how much time I wasted watching old episodes to get caught up with Season 4. To be fair, I work nights and sometimes I can’t sleep on my nights off, so I was going to be up anyways, might as well be productive! 🙂

9. On January 2, 2014 at 7:29 am Ken C. said:

Quiet and slightly introspective celebrations are perfect for New Year’s. We are visiting relatives in Illinois [our first white and snowy Christmas/New Year’s in ages]; with the visiting and snow-play, we were asleep by 9pm.

10. On January 2, 2014 at 11:17 am Ruann (Solo Travel Uncut) said:

I think my new Year’s resolution would be to spend the next New Year’s Eve like you spent this one. Sound’s like a more conrolling and smooth way to enter the new year.

Other than that, I just want a tiger chilling in the corner of my room somewhere in this year.
    Ruann (Solo Travel Uncut) recently posted..African Children: A Photo Essay on Emotions

11. On January 2, 2014 at 11:35 am Mariellen Ward said:

I was wearing stretchy yoga-y pants and my fluffy new cashmere sweater that I wear everyday because it was my Christmas present to myself, eating a delicious dinner of salmon, rice and veggies, and sitting in front of the TV with two of my besties, watching the director’s cut of Blade Runner. I did exactly what I wanted to do, nothing more or less. No pressure.

Aging does have its blessings.

Here’s to a year of knowing when to put on the pants!
    Mariellen Ward recently posted..Year in review: Return of the hero

12. On January 2, 2014 at 1:59 pm Colleen Brynn said:

My new year’s looked a lot like yours.
    Colleen Brynn recently posted..All Is Fine

13. On January 4, 2014 at 4:07 am Carmel said:

Our NYE was not too different than yours. We are in Siem Reap right now and spent the evening in our hotel room with cheese (CHEESE!), good bread and wine (WINE!) watching a cheesy Lifetime movie, the one I recommended you watch, and then getting locked out on the hotel’s balcony. Ahem. Once we got back in, we did whatever we thought sane people would do and…went back out on the balcony for midnight. This time I at least had the foresight to wedge my flip flop under the door so we wouldn’t have to yell to the receptionist 2 floors below to let us in. And then we cheersed (that is SO not a word) with some Russians and went to bed. It was awesome.
    Carmel recently posted..LOI KRATHONG

14. On January 4, 2014 at 6:00 am Ceri said:

Happy New Year, hun. 😀 I look forward to seeing what kind of things 2014 bring you. x
    Ceri recently posted..2013: The Year That Got Away

15. On January 4, 2014 at 10:20 am Beth said:

This was the first year I spent NYE at home… and I loved it as well! I’m going to work hard to have more down time this year instead of running myself ragged!

Hope you have a wonderful 2014 as well!
    Beth recently posted..Foto Friday: Dragon and Lion Dance Extravaganza, Hong Kong

• On January 6, 2014 at 4:11 pm Sally said:

Sounds like a good resolution! I think maybe I should resolve to have a little less down time. The beginning of this year has all been about cozying up in bed with a book — thanks to the lovely winter weather we’re having. But I’m ALMOST feeling like I should maybe be productive. Almost.

16. On January 6, 2014 at 4:03 am Jaryd said:

I am so glad to hear that you are going to spend all of 2014 doing exactly what makes you happy. Although what would be even better if you spent the rest of your life doing this. Because realistically we should not fall victim to the social norm of living a life that others perceive we will be happy in. Instead we should create our own dream otherwise someone else is just going to hire us to build one for them.

• On January 6, 2014 at 4:03 pm Sally said:

I think if you read my blog regularly, Jaryd, you’d know I don’t often “fall victim to the social norm,” as you put it. But, at the same time, isn’t it conceivable that this kind of lifestyle could make some people happy? Or at least parts of it?
      I attempted the whole “nomadic lifestyle” thing (well, kind of, I didn’t try too hard to make a living off of it because I soon realized blogging for pay was not for me), and, frankly, I was not nearly as happy as I am now. I know it sounds dull, but I personally enjoy having a steady income and health insurance. I also really like having a home and living near friends and family. And I love my job — I get to meet people from all over the world and help them pursue their dreams, while still having plenty of vacation time to travel, blog and pursue my own dreams.
      Maybe in the future, I’ll decide to go overseas again or live nomadically again. But for now I’m really happy with where my life is. And that’s what my resolution is all about — doing what makes ME happy, even if it is terribly “social normish.”

• On January 6, 2014 at 5:03 pm Jaryd said:

Oh certainly, you are 100% correct on that. A lot of people are happy living that type of lifestyle and that is awesome! Its the best thing ever really and we should not substitute happiness for a lifestyle change at all. I am, too, not preaching a “nomadic lifestyle” (I don’t even earn a living doing it) to be the only way as we all know there is not just one way to truly live other than doing exactly what makes us happy. To which it seems as though yourself and I share the same dream, to reveal what it is that makes people happy and help them achieve those goals. Because you and I both know there are too many people out there doing something in their lives the wish they weren’t, so it would be selfish for us not to help them knowing that we really can.

P.S I am terribly sorry if I offended you in my last comment I honestly didn’t mean to. I instead wanted praise you on living your dream lifestyle.
        Jaryd recently posted..What’s your 2014 travel resolutions ?

• On January 6, 2014 at 5:26 pm Sally said:

Not offended at all. Although, admittedly, I do get ants in my pants when I feel people are preaching that one lifestyle is inherently better than another. I think it’s all about finding out what works for you — be it wandering around the globe or staying put in one spot or doing a combination of both. (And, sorry, if I assumed you were in the nomadic lifestyle preaching camp. Didn’t mean to offend you either!)

• On January 7, 2014 at 7:17 am Jaryd said:

Oh I totally understand, no body should be telling someone what to do if they truly don’t know whats right for the individual. Yea your right, it is about finding out what works for you. I just wish more people would make the effort to search what is right for them instead of living a life they are not necessarily happy in.
            Jaryd recently posted..What’s your 2014 travel resolutions ?

• On January 7, 2014 at 1:22 pm Sally said:

It would be nice if more people pursued the life they truly wanted… but in many ways this has much to do with privilege. I, for one, would not have been given the opportunities I had to travel and live overseas and do, more or less, what I please if I didn’t have the education and background that I have.

17. On January 21, 2014 at 12:57 am Ayan Villafuerte said: