All I want for Christmas is… power tools?

December 30, 2013
My mother gave me a drill for Christmas.

If you knew my mother, this would not surprise you. In fact, this is not the first time my mother has given me a power tool for Christmas. This is just the first time I’ve actually wanted one.

Like, really, REALLY wanted one.

Which is weird because I didn’t even know I wanted a drill until I spotted one earlier this week when I was at the hardware store doing some Christmas shopping with my mom.

It’s possible I picked it up and cooed.

Until that moment I thought I was fine living a drill-free life — pounding nails all willy-nilly into my walls and putting together IKEA furniture with the free little L-shaped wrench that comes in each box.

And then all the sudden, I was filled with a strange longing I had never felt before.

I imagine this is how the whole biological clock thing works. One day you think your life is just fine, and the next day you see an adorable, pink bundle of joy and you’re like, “OMIGOD, I NEED THAT IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW!”

Except my adorable, pink bundle of joy looked like this:

DSC06841Isn’t she beautiful?

I think I’m going to name her Laverne.

What’s the best gift you got for Christmas this year?

1. On December 30, 2013 at 12:25 pm jocelyne marchand said:

not to disparage you or your mom in any way – but if you are going to get a power tool, get one with power, otherwise it is just a toy. Tried to see the voltage but can find it on the photo .. unless it is 18v you should return and get an 18v, you will be glad you did . . seriouly BE BRAVE unbrave girl – use a tool, not a toy

• On January 1, 2014 at 12:16 pm Sally said:

Actually, I think this drill is perfect for me right now. I don’t have a whole lot of things that need drilling in the wall at the moment besides pictures and a spare shelf or two. Also, I’m renting. So the less major damage I do to the walls and such the better! Maybe when I move up to home ownership (if that ever happens!), I will advance to a more powerful drill. But until then, my adorable pink toy drill will do!

2. On December 30, 2013 at 12:33 pm jocelyne marchand said:

me again – even a 12v would be ok . .

3. On December 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm warriorofthepen said:

Ok that mightdound cheesy but does it count when I sax that the best gift I got this Christmas this year is when my dad told me he loved him (considering my dad usually never says that)???
    Apart from that it is an African statue of a woman holding a baby that I coed over in an interior design store last november.
    warriorofthepen recently posted..Book Resolution No. 1

• On January 1, 2014 at 12:13 pm Sally said:

Awww, that’s so sweet of your dad. My family is the same way — we don’t really talk about our emotions (I’m probably the worst at it — I only write about that stuff, but don’t say it out loud). So it’s all the more special when someone actually says the words out loud.

4. On December 30, 2013 at 6:18 pm Janice said:

Power tools! Awesome. That was what I got from my friends for my wedding shower. They knew me enough not to buy me pots and towels. It’s DIY all the way. 🙂 Enjoy your new drill.

5. On December 31, 2013 at 12:07 am Priya said:

Want to know what my favorite part about this post? That you used Mariah Carey’s classic Christmas song as inspiration for the title of this blog post. Yup.
    Priya recently posted..Small Ain’t My Size

6. On December 31, 2013 at 5:32 am Carmel said:

We got my mom a drill for Christmas one year. She was SO happy. When we finally broke down and bought one for ourselves, I finally understand her joy. It is pretty neat to be able to hang your own drapes rather than wait for someone to take pity on us and come over to help. Even if the drapes are a little crooked.

Best gift this year? My aunt and cousins coming to spend Christmas with us in Cambodia. BEST. PRESENT. EVER.
    Carmel recently posted..BACK TO (COOKING) SCHOOL

• On January 1, 2014 at 12:08 pm Sally said:

That’s what I’ve been doing the past 6 months — waiting for my mom or dad to show up before I could hang something on the wall. But NOW! I have the power to drill holes into my walls all the lifelong day. (Well, at least until my neighbors complain!)

7. On January 1, 2014 at 6:45 pm Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

I received money. That was my favourite gift this year, along with some aftershave, and a Christmas jumper. My worst was an aluminium water bottle container thing, designed to take with you when you do things like hiking or camping, from an aunt who clearly does not know me at all.

Also, I’d have gone down the alliterative route when naming the drill. Probably Drusilla.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..14 Resolutions That I Have An 80% Chance Of Breaking

• On January 2, 2014 at 10:12 pm Sally said:

An aluminum water bottle container sounds like the perfect place to put your booze. So you can look all rugged and outdoorsy while you’re getting sloshed. You’re welcome.

8. On January 4, 2014 at 5:58 am Ceri said:

Hahaha. Best. Present. Ever.

Why don’t people usually think of giving us ladies power tools? I mean, we need them as much as the men do. 😛 And I LOVE that yours is pink.
    Ceri recently posted..2013: The Year That Got Away

9. On January 5, 2014 at 9:32 pm Brittany @ Paws for Beer said:

I wouldn’t say this was the best gift I got for Christmas but one year I got a snow shovel from my dad. I have noticed that as I get older and bought a house my presents from him are less fun and more practical. I have also gotten a wheelbarrow for my birthday. Perhaps if we get tons of snow I can shovel the snow into the wheelbarrow and carry it away 🙂
    Brittany @ Paws for Beer recently posted..Photo Friday 1/3/2014