Unbrave Eats: Lake Effect Ice Cream

July 12, 2013

When I walked into Lake Effect Ice Cream in Lockport, NY, last month, I couldn’t help feeling like I’d been there before – even though it was my first visit.

Maybe it was a case of déjà vu meets all my dreams come true.

Because, seriously, you guys, in my dreams, there is a LOT of ice cream.

And possibly an attractive young man or two waiting behind a counter to scoop it up for me.

Or maybe the reason why everything felt so familiar was because I’d been Facebook stalking the ice cream shop for months prior to my visit.

You know, how sometimes you just find yourself on some random person’s Facebook page? And you have no idea who that person is. And how you even ended up there. And why on earth you’ve spent the last twenty minutes looking at photos of their dog. And you suspect this officially qualifies you as a major creeper. But, you just can’t seem to look away because, goshdarnit, strangers can sure be fascinating sometimes. And they can also be pretty lax with their privacy settings, so they might want to fix that.

That’s how reading the Lake Effect Facebook page feels – like you’ve accidentally stumbled into some random stranger’s personal Facebook account. But a really awesome stranger. Two really awesome strangers, in fact — as the shop, along with its Facebook page, is run by two local high school teachers.

Their status updates are long and rambley and completely heartfelt. One day they’re talking about the new tile floor in their restaurant. The next day they’re dedicating ice cream flavors to their family members. This past week, one of the owners posted photos of his new dragon tattoo on their page.

Seriously, you guys, I’m no social media expert, but I think this is what more businesses need on their Facebook pages – ice cream tributes and dragon tattoos.

You’d think with all the Internet stalking I’d done prior to my visit, I would have known exactly what flavor of ice cream I wanted to order when I arrived.

After all, it’s not like I hadn’t pored over their menu board on their Facebook page a few hundred times.

Gah! Decisions!

So. Much. Ice Cream. Only one stomach. Gah!

But, of course, I had to spend ten minutes hemming and hawing and asking for mini-samples of everything because deciding stuff is hard, guys, and mini-samples are free.

I first tried a sample of the Honey Bleu Cheese. Which was about like what you’d expect a honey bleu cheese ice cream to taste like. In a good way, of course.

Yep, this exists.

Yep, this exists.

I also tried an ice cream with beer in it. Which wasn’t at all like what you’d expect an ice cream with beer in it to taste like. I guess that’s also a good thing.

Also totally exists.

Also totally exists.

And then, after a few more mini-samples, I ordered a bowl of the Peanut Butter Epiphany – without even tasting it beforehand. Because sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind. And I’ll pretty much order anything with peanut butter in it.

This turned out to be the most accurately named ice cream ever.

As I dug my spoon in and took my first bite, I had an epiphany – an epiphany that this was the world’s most perfect peanut butter ice cream and that any other peanut butter ice cream on earth is just a sad, colorless shadow of what peanut butter ice cream truly should be.

Life will never be the same.

Life will never be the same.

I also knew instantly that I would be back.

And not just on Facebook.

Or in my dreams.

But I’d probably be back in my dreams, too. Because, seriously, guys, all the ice cream in my dreams has to come from somewhere.

Where have you had the best ice cream ever? What flavor was it?  And can we go there right now and get some?

Thank you to Niagara Tourism & Convention Center for sponsoring my trip to Lockport. And thanks to Lake Effect Ice Cream for the best peanut butter ice cream on the planet and the best Facebook page ever. I swear I’m not Internet stalking you guys… much.

1. On July 12, 2013 at 7:48 am DebbZie said:

Whoa! That must be the longest list of ice cream menu I’ve ever seen. How to even choose only one flavour? Best ice cream would be tiramisu flavour that I had in Switzerland long time ago 😀
    DebbZie recently posted..Austria: In Love With Salzburg

2. On July 12, 2013 at 8:42 am Rose said:

The best ice cream flavor ever is whatever flavor happens to be in my hand at the time! I think asking about someone’s best ice cream flavor is like asking if kittens or puppies are cuter. How can you ever decide?!
    Rose recently posted..Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Veterinary Care

• On July 13, 2013 at 9:54 am Sally said:

Well, there are some inferior ice cream flavors. Like anything resembling fruit. That’s definitely inferior to anything resembling PEANUT BUTTER AND CHUNKS OF CHOCOLATE AND GOOEY GOODNESS. Amirite?

3. On July 12, 2013 at 11:17 am Zandria @ I Choose Buffalo said:

Lake Effect is DEFINITELY on my list of places to go once I’m in the area. (Only a few weeks away now! AHHHH!!!!)
    Zandria @ I Choose Buffalo recently posted..Spotlight on Buffalo, Ver. 19

4. On July 12, 2013 at 11:45 am Carmel said:

Finally just tried Salt & Straw ice cream here in Portland…and it was so damn good. Shawn got the sea salt chocolate flavor. Then this last week I got birthday cake with blackberries, and brought home gooey brownie and chocolate. They have a ton of unusual flavors, too. So.Good.

Ice cream is my favorite.
    Carmel recently posted..BILINGUAL SUMMER

5. On July 12, 2013 at 2:11 pm Irie Ninja said:

This is exactly how I felt about Chin Chin Labs in Camden. I was obsessed with the idea of trying their ice cream and stalked their Facebook page until the day I finally went to London and my dreams came true! Thanks to this post I now have a new ice cream parlour to obsess about! 😀
    Irie Ninja recently posted..Attersee: Arguably Austria’s Awesomest Lake

6. On July 12, 2013 at 3:10 pm Nicole said:

You know, I’ve only felt that way twice in my life about desserts. Once when I first tried pink bubble gum ice cream from Baskin Robbins.

The other when I tried the St. Eve in Bayeux.

Life really was never the same.
    Nicole recently posted..Don’t Forget your Culture, Visit a Museum in Singapore

• On July 13, 2013 at 9:51 am Sally said:

Bubble gum? Ice cream? I’m having a hard time believing that that should exist. But this might have something to do with the fact that I’m a strictly chocolate-peanut-butter-caramel-nuts kind of ice cream eater. Anything pink or resembling fruit in anyway is a no-go for me.

7. On July 12, 2013 at 3:23 pm Priya said:

The link to the FB page doesn’t work! I totally want to like them! I had an an ice cream shake in Seattle and I mixed two flavor and it was the best thing ever!
    Priya recently posted..Is There Room For Two Priyas At WDS?

• On July 13, 2013 at 9:49 am Sally said:

Thanks for letting me know about the link — it’s been fixed.
      That shake sounds groovy… and look at you being all “in Seattle” like no big whoop. Go you.

8. On July 12, 2013 at 9:14 pm Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said:

You would die if you tasted the ice cream in Argentina, I dream of it ALL of the time!!!!
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted..Meadows of Dan, Virginia: Day 1

9. On July 13, 2013 at 9:38 am Jenni @ Traveler for Good said:

What a happy community of ice cream lovers we all are! Here in Denver I have 4 favorite places, but my favoritist of them all is Sweet Action. The first time I went I had lemon ginger cookie and cinnamon cannoli. Now I can’t drive or walk down Broadway without wanting to take a detour.

Other favorite places?
    Wilcoxson’s (in Montana and in Yellowstone National Park)
    Whitey’s (in the Quad Cities in Illinois/Iowa)
    Jenni @ Traveler for Good recently posted..Glow in the Dark Golf and Fortune Telling Fish

10. On July 13, 2013 at 6:01 pm warriorofthepen said:

Maple Walnut Icecream at the Avondale Dairy Farm in St. Catharines, Ontario.

11. On July 13, 2013 at 8:09 pm Sadie said:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lake Effect Ice Cream! My daughter loves Icewine, hubby loves Gin N Juice and I love the Salty Caramel. Oo! And Cranberry Orange sherbet!

12. On July 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm Brittany @ Paws for Beer said:

I love the beer ice cream idea. I brew my own beer – I may have to experiment with it to make ice cream! Sounds delightful!
    Brittany @ Paws for Beer recently posted..Photo Friday 7/12/13

13. On July 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm Jim said:

We hit Lake Effect many times a year, their flavors are always great. Used to have Sweet Melodies in Lockport too, a great place for Gelato but they moved to the Boulevard Mall!
    Jim recently posted..Tournaments are a Fun Way to Play Golf

14. On July 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm John Wulf said:

Thanks for the kind words… I am Jason’s dad . Erik is his life long friend and a great guy, father, husband et all…

15. On July 17, 2013 at 9:02 am Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

I saw ‘Amaretto Sour Sherbet’ on that board. OH. MY. GOD. My favourite cocktail. IN ICE CREAM FORM. I think I’ll end up in the northeastern USA towards the end of the year, may have to detour to Lockport. I’m surprised tears aren’t gushing onto my keyboard at the thought of Amaretto Sour Sherbet, but I’m pretty sure I’ve sweat out any liquid that’s in my body thanks to the heat here in Istanbul.

Also, that IS a handsome young man. Swoon.

16. On July 19, 2013 at 7:58 am Sid said:

That is a good looking young man. He just fills out that T-shirt so well!
    Sid recently posted..5 things – sarcasm, books, travel, music & photos

17. On July 30, 2013 at 9:00 am Heather said:

Gav sees ice cream as its own food group , so we purchased an ice cream maker recently and we’re loving it. I’m sending him this post RIGHT NOW! I’m not sure if he’ll thank or curse me for it 🙂

18. On August 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm Ceri said:

Literally had to go to my kitchen and get ice cream half way through reading this. Thank you.
    Ceri recently posted..NY Bucket List: #7 – Catch a Yellow Cab/Use the Subway

• On August 3, 2013 at 10:51 am Sally said:

Hahahaha. It was torture to write since I didn’t have any in the house. I’m never doing that again (writing without ice cream… not writing ABOUT ice cream. I’m sure I’m going to be doing that again.)

19. On August 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm Heather said:

Whoa, I thought Japan was the only place with bizarre ice cream flavors! The best ice cream I’ve ever had was in Switzerland. I ate bowls and bowls of it – and not just because the scoops were tiny European size. It was so good that I couldn’t eat the ice cream at home for months because it was so poor in comparison!
    Heather recently posted..Budapest: From Rubble to Remarkable

20. On August 24, 2013 at 6:33 am Kathy said:

Growing up in San Francisco, we often went to Italian restaurants, where they served homemade Spumoni Ice cream. It is the best-but only if you get the real stuff- which has a chocolate layer, a rum layer and maraschino cherries. The best!

There was a many-flavor ice cream store in Santa Cruz, and I made the mistake of trying their spumoni. They have no clue! It did have a lot of food coloring, though, if you go in for that kind of thing.

1. Beer Custard Ice Cream - Paws for Beer