Fishing on the Niagara River: Part 2 (Or “The Part with All the Beer and Popcorn.”)

May 25, 2013

IMG_7556

Surprise!

I bet you thought my fishing adventure was over after my last post, huh?

Not so, my friends!

Okay, so maybe the fishing part of the adventure was over. After all, I practically caught ALL THE FISH in the Niagara River. It was time to call that part of the trip quits.

You know, so the fish could go about their business and stop having to be caught all the time by me.

And so that I could go about my business and stop having to use muscles I never use. Because, hey, did you know that reeling in fish requires a surprising amount of upper-arm strength?

And, here, I always thought that upper arm strength was just one of those things I wasn’t born with — like ambition and ankles.

But it turns out I actually have biceps! Who knew?

Finding out you have muscles in your arms warrants a little celebration, don’t you think?

And by “celebration” I mean “beer.” Of course.

IMG_7154

I also mean “pizza” — preferably wood-fired and large enough to serve a small European nation.

IMG_7163

Luckily, the first stop on my post-fishing-trip adventure was the Woodcock Brothers Brewery, where they seriously delivered on both the beer and the pizza.

They also seriously delivered on the ambiance as the brewery is located in a beautiful, old, renovated building.

IMG_7156

The building actually used to be a cold storage facility.

IMG_7166

I don’t even know what a cold storage facility is, but judging from the name and the signs that still hang on the walls, they are cold, dangerous places that don’t support human life.

IMG_7165

Kind of like my love life.

(Hahahaha. Just kidding. Kind of.)

The brewery serves up all its own beer that’s made on site. In total, I ended up sampling seven mini-pints of the stuff — ranging from a light, crisp summer ale to a dark, rich porter.

Yep, this'll do.

To be honest, I’m usually kind of a wimp when it comes to beer. My beer-drinking motto has always been “The paler, the better. And is there any chance you could put some fruit in that?”

So I was surprised when I got to the porter, and it turned out to be my favorite of all seven beers that I tried.

Maybe all that fishing changed me, you guys. Maybe now that I’m practically a grizzled fisherperson, I like my beer dark and bitter.

Kind of like my heart.

(Hahahaha. Just kidding. Kind of.)

Or maybe the porter was just really that good.

Who’s to say, really?

The next and last stop on my post-fishing-trip adventure itinerary was my accommodation for the night: The Fly Inn Lodge.

IMG_7400

I’d never stayed in a lodge before, so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I checked out their website beforehand, and it described the place as “rustic” and “log cabin-like.” I was worried that these were just fancy synonyms for “no indoor plumbing” and “you’ll probably be eaten by bears.”

So I was pretty surprised when I showed up and the place looked like this:

IMG_7224

And this:

IMG_7181

And this:

IMG_7337

Not only was there indoor plumbing, but a big, huge, gorgeous shower complete with a basket full of towel-origami.

IMG_7187

I did encounter a bear on my arrival, though.

Luckily he was made out of wood and standing on the porch holding a welcome sign.

IMG_7393

Of course, this all could have been a clever ruse dreamed up by bears to first convince me that bears are friendly, welcoming creatures and, secondly, to persuade me to go into the house, where, of course, they would devour me.

Luckily, that didn’t happen. The only bears in the house were the ones on the living room rugs, and I was pretty sure they didn’t bite. (But I made a point of not stepping on them. Just in case.)

IMG_7367

The lodge is located only a few minutes from Lake Ontario in Olcott, NY. (The “Ultimate Fishing Town”! Seriously, you guys, that’s a thing.) It’s also surrounded by woods and hiking trails, making the lodge the perfect base for tons of outdoorsy adventures.

There was even a bonfire pit in the yard where you could sit around and burn stuff in the outdoors if you wanted to. That’s what outdoorsy people like to do, you know. Trust me on this. I grew up in a really outdoorsy family and a week didn’t go by when something wasn’t being set on fire in the yard.

IMG_7540

Given the fact that I’d kind of had enough outdoors for the day, I decided to stay inside for the night.

Besides as cool as Lake Ontario and hiking trails and bonfire pits are, the inside of the lodge had something even cooler — a popcorn cart.

Yes, I said POPCORN CART.

As in MY VERY OWN PERSONAL POPCORN CART. Because, apparently, that’s how lodges work. Hotels have mini-shampoo-bottles. Lodges have personal popcorn carts. I think we can all agree that this is MUCH better than a mini-shampoo-bottle.

IMG_7246

After I managed to make popcorn without burning the whole lodge down, I decided to test my luck by firing up the fire place. After a day of outdoorsy-ness, I felt it was kind of important I set something on fire. Even if that something was just a bunch of fake logs that you set on fire by flipping a switch.

And then I poured some wine.

Sure, I’d already had seven mini-pints of beer that day, but, hey, I was celebrating, remember?

IMG_7213

Here’s to biceps!

What’s your favorite way to end a day of outdoorsy adventure?

P.S. I’d like to thank Niagara Tourism & Convention Corporation for inviting me and for arranging my trip and Woodcock Brothers Brewery for a great meal and for changing my mind about porter. I’d also like to send a huge thank you to Fly Inn Lodge for an amazing stay.

1. On May 25, 2013 at 1:12 pm Priya said:

My former barn job had a popcorn cart. I thought it was kind of strange, but then again, the whole thing was kind of strange. Plus I’m not a big fan of popcorn. Or beer. But bring on the pizza!
    Priya recently posted..Confessions of a Hot Yogi: Sculpt, Strength And A Little Bit Of Antonio

• On May 26, 2013 at 11:36 am Sally said:

The more you talk about this barn job, the more I think it may have been the perfect job. I mean, a barn AND a popcorn cart? Are they still looking for people to work there? Because I totally think I could handle that.

2. On May 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm Stephanie - The Travel Chica said:

Hot shower and a cold beer… usually at the same time.
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Random Nashville

3. On May 25, 2013 at 10:57 pm Angela said:

Popcorn, wine and a fireplace. Sounds to me like the best night ever
    Angela recently posted..Through our eyes // 04 : Bangkok

4. On May 26, 2013 at 9:41 am Heather said:

I love places with those mats for your beer glasses. It’s kind of like bingo, but way better.
    Heather recently posted..Erhai Lake and the Pastoral Scenery of Dali, China

• On May 26, 2013 at 11:31 am Sally said:

It IS like bingo but better! Next time I’m going to yell “Bingo” every time I finish a pint. I’m sure the people at the bar will love it. 🙂

5. On May 26, 2013 at 4:06 pm ayan said:

dark beers are good =)
    ayan recently posted..stare.

6. On May 26, 2013 at 6:13 pm Brittany @ Paws for Beer said:

looks like the perfect end to a great day of fishing. And good for you trying the dark beers! I’ve got friends who are also the lighter the better type of beer drinkers and I have never got them to try even an amber colored beer… personally I think they are missing out!
    Brittany @ Paws for Beer recently posted..Photo Friday 5/24/2013

• On May 27, 2013 at 1:19 pm Sally said:

I blame Asia really. In Japan & China, they predominately serve lagers and other light beers. The whole microbrew thing hasn’t really caught on there yet. I’ve been trying to branch out since returning home but that was my first time trying a porter in years. So glad I did!

7. On May 27, 2013 at 10:35 am Montecristo Travels (Sonja) said:

Wow that looks like fun – maybe we should go see for ourselves. Wonder if the Inn is dog friendly … you know since there are no actual bears. 🙂

Oh and … little shout out to you on our blog by the way – Thanks for the travel inspiration!

• On May 27, 2013 at 1:14 pm Sally said:

You should! It was a really lovely place & it’s right on the wine trail (I’ll be talking about that in my next post!).
      And thanks for the shout-out!

8. On May 27, 2013 at 5:19 pm Carly said:

Thanks for stopping by the brewery! We’re glad you enjoyed the beer and food! Hope you can stop by again some time in your travels!
    -the folks at WBBC

9. On May 28, 2013 at 1:22 am Jessica Pepe said:

Apparently I should have been staying in lodges this whole time.

So, if the popcorn machine is the equivalent of those mini-shampoo bottles. . . you get to take it home, right?

10. On May 28, 2013 at 6:40 am Maria said:

Can you install little “Like” buttons strategically through your posts? So much awesomeness! I think you just described my perfect night: micro beer, pizza, popcorn, fire and wine? Take out the fishing and it’d be a perfect day!

Being from Florida, my outdoorsy adventure was typically kayaking and the perfect finish was guac, chips, burrito, and beer.

• On May 28, 2013 at 10:12 pm Sally said:

Oooo, I love everything about that — except maybe the kayak. I have absolutely no sense of balance so every time I try to kayak I end up in the water.

11. On May 28, 2013 at 10:59 am Carmel said:

I really want a popcorn cart in my house now. And a fireplace.

Interesting you ask this question. Every summer I can, I go up to Priest Lake, Idaho, where my uncle has a cabin right on the lake. After we go for a hike or swim, I love the feeling of a nice, hot shower, then the anticipation of an evening with the fireplace on and making dinner with my family. It just warms my heart thinking about it. And the fact that I’ll be doing just that in less than 3 months and not having to go back to a job after we leave makes me even giddier.
    Carmel recently posted..HOW WE’RE SAVING

12. On May 30, 2013 at 1:14 am Patty said:

What? Another great fishing adventure? You spoil us!

13. On May 31, 2013 at 12:04 am nicole | the wondernuts said:

Oooh, nice. Beer and pizza after a day of fishing. That’s like the breakfast lunch and dinner of champions. =)

14. On May 31, 2013 at 11:22 pm Christy@SweetandSavoring said:

Now *this* is the part I can get with- that popcorn cart is a stroke of genius. That’s so kick-ass that you got to stay at the lodge!

15. On June 2, 2013 at 3:17 pm Madhu Bhardwaj said:

My favorite way to end a day of outdoorsy adventure is to eat to my fill and sleep.

16. On June 15, 2013 at 3:33 am Ceri said:

This is exactly how I imagine a Canadian/American outdoorsy-in-the-woods adventure to be. 🙂 The bears though … eek! Even the idea of them scare me.
    Ceri recently posted..NY Bucket List: #1 – Visit Central Park

• On June 15, 2013 at 12:56 pm Sally said:

Luckily, I didn’t see any. But, yes, as soon as I saw that sign I almost drove off the road in a state of panic/fear/OMIGOD-GET-ME-OUT-OF-HERE.