Thank you for your support. And for almost getting me arrested. But mostly for your support.

February 24, 2013

IMG_7721

You guys, I just got back from the most amazing ladies’ night in Toronto.

I, seriously, have SO MUCH to tell you guys.

Like, I tried poutine for the first time ever. Which made me realize my life needs a lot more cheese and gravy in it.

Poutine. With kimchi. Trust me, I'll explain.

Poutine. With kimchi. Trust me, it was awesome.

I also tried a Caesar for the first time, as well.

Which is kind of like a Bloody Mary.

Unless you’re Canadian. And then it’s the BEST DRINK ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH, AND NOTHING LIKE A BLOODY MARY AT ALL, SO SHUT YOUR AMERICAN FACE.

Me & my first Caesar. And, yes, my shirt & nails do match my drink.

Me & my first Caesar. And I’m smiling like that because it was delicious. And not because I had a table full of Canadians threatening to unfriend me if I didn’t like it.

It was the perfect whirlwind, one-night trip.

With the perfect group of super fun ladies.

IMG_1098

Why, yes, we are recreating “The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.” WHAT?

And I totally promise to tell you all about it later this week.

But, first, I need to yell at you for making me cry.

Yes, YOU.

You see, on the bus ride home, I got a message from a friend telling me that this happened.

Picture 1

2013 Bloggies Award Nominations

Yep.

I’ve been nominated for a 2013 Bloggie for the Best Travel Weblog.

I don’t even know how that happened.

Okay, so I do know how that happened.

It’s all because of you.

Yes, YOU.

And possibly a little bit because I promised you all ponies if you nominated me.

But mostly because of YOU.

And as I sat there on the bus, I felt so overwhelmed and grateful and maybe just the teensiest bit tired because I spent a lot more time drinking than sleeping this weekend.

One of my many beverages yesterday: maple wine. Because Canada.

One of my many beverages yesterday: maple wine. Because CANADA.

So I started to cry.

I’m sure I’ve told you this before, but I’m a real ugly crier. My face gets all red and twitchy. I start to do that thing where you’re, like, coughing and sobbing and hyperventilating all at the same time. And I break out into hives. Because I always break out into hives. Because, seriously, you guys, my skin is allergic to emotions.

It didn’t help that this was only minutes before I was supposed to go through immigration. And, in case you’ve never been through immigration before, it’s really not a good idea to show up looking all twitchy and sobby and  mildly unhinged.

Anyway, I just want to thank you all for believing in me and supporting me and for, once again, nominating me for an award that I totally don’t deserve.

Even if you did almost get me arrested at the border.

It’s okay.

I hear they serve poutine in Canadian prison.

And, I’m hoping this guy gets to be my cellmate.

clown

Okay, so this is actually a picture of the victim & not the perp. But, can we all agree that this is the best wanted poster EVER?

How was YOUR weekend? Get up to anything fun? Make anyone else cry?

P.S. Want to see me cry even more?

It’s easy!

Vote for me!

All you have to do is go to the Bloggies webpage, find the box for my blog under Best Travel Weblog, and click on the little circle in the right-hand corner of the box.

Then scroll all the way down to the bottom, and enter the secret code and your email address, and click on the box that says “Submit Your Nominations.”

You should get an email asking you to click on a link to verify your nominations. If you don’t get an email right away, check your spam inbox as it might be lurking there.

After clicking on the link, sit back and enjoy yourself. Maybe whip up yourself a nice cocktail. May I suggest a Caesar? It’s kind of like a Bloody Mary, but only if you’re American and YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT.

1. On February 24, 2013 at 8:28 pm Val Hamer said:

Yay yay yay. Voting now cos I want to make you cry more!

2. On February 24, 2013 at 8:34 pm James said:

Wait. You now blog about cheese, goats and alcohol and you STILL get nominated? ahha. Just kidding. CONGRATS!!!!! Super exciting! It’s 8:30am in Saigon and that Kimchee Poutine is looking like a BOSS!
    James recently posted..Bloom, Saigon, Bloom

• On February 25, 2013 at 7:16 am Sally said:

I know. It doesn’t make any sense at all. And now that I got nominated, I feel like I should probably write about travel more… travel AND goats and cheese and alcohol. Whoa.

3. On February 24, 2013 at 8:51 pm Priya said:

You don’t have to ask me twice to vote, and I’m not just saying that because I want to make you cry more.
    I’m jealous of your one night stand with Canada. It sounds soo much more fun than the time I randomly decided to go to Canada with a stranger girl who drive almost all the way (there & back) who stopped in the woods on the way back without telling me. Just started driving into the woods.
    Priya recently posted..Five Things I Kind Of, Sort Of Like About My Current Really Long Commute

4. On February 24, 2013 at 9:27 pm Jonathan Look, Jr. said:

This is hilarious! I have heard in Canadian jail they say “eh” to you over and over until you break.
    Jonathan Look, Jr. recently posted..Farewell to My Father

5. On February 24, 2013 at 9:59 pm Jeremy Branham said:

So awesome! Congrats! I remember these from last year. Good nominations for the best travel blog category!
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..An intimate California zip line video tour at Yosemite Ziplines

• On February 25, 2013 at 7:14 am Sally said:

Thanks, Jeremy! I was pretty surprised to be nominated — especially because my blog doesn’t really fit into a handy category this year. Since moving home, I’ve been writing about travel, but I’ve also been writing about my couch and my cat a lot. Unfortunately, there are no categories for cat and couch blogs.

6. On February 25, 2013 at 1:01 am Alouise said:

We like you. We really like you. But seriously that is pretty awesome. Sorry for making you almost get arrested and all that. I’d totally ugly cry in that situation too (although I think it should be called the Hathaway cry – I mean did you see Anne Hathaway in Les Mis, total ugly cry…basically if you ugly cry you’re like a movie star).

Also as an aside I’m Canadian, but I’ve never had a caesar. I don’t really like clamato juice though so I don’t think adding booze to it would help, or maybe it would. I do know poutine is delicious – glad to see another poutine convert.
    Alouise recently posted..Visiting The Backstreet Cultural Museum in New Orleans

• On February 25, 2013 at 7:12 am Sally said:

What? I don’t think it’s possible to be Canadian and not like clamato juice. I thought that was like a requirement or something. Not to alarm you, but it’s possible you’re Swedish or something.

7. On February 25, 2013 at 7:48 am Kerry said:

Oh Canada! I remember when I was nineteen and excitedly took the train up to Vancouver from Portland so I could (omg!) legally have a beer. I think if I’d had a Caesar at that point it would have scarred my drinking habits forever.

UM, I MEAN, FOR THE BETTER, CANADIANS, TOTALLY

YEAH
    Kerry recently posted..Happy Purim! If we keep drinking we can forget about the mass murder and genocide

8. On February 25, 2013 at 9:18 am Andi said:

Just voted! Because you know, I love your blog! How could I not? And to make matters even better…that wine you pictured…was that the wine you drank? Because that wine is totally from my hometown! Not big, fancy Ontario but awesome, little Moncton. Yay your friends for buying that wine!

I hope you win. The awesomeness that is you should not go unrewarded! (Ok, buttered her up, hope I get that pony….)
    Andi recently posted..Snow Apocalypse, The Aftermath, And The Death of Romance

• On February 25, 2013 at 4:44 pm Sally said:

One of the girls in our group brought the wine and said it was from Moncton. And I was like Moncton? I know someone from Moncton. But I couldn’t remember who. But, of course, it was YOU.
      And, yes, your pony is all ready for you. Should I send him across the border? Or can you come pick him up in Buffalo?

9. On February 25, 2013 at 9:39 am Erik said:

Well-deserved! (I’m talking about the nomination as well as the poutine…)

Since I’ve been saying this is the best blog for a long time, I feel somewhat cocky about this nomination as well. (How’s that for taking credit when I had nothing to do with it?)

Anyway, I have to go sign up for like 100 extra email accounts so I can vote for you with all of them :-)

Seriously, though, Congrats. :-)
    Erik recently posted..Riding the Rails in America- A Quick Trip

• On February 25, 2013 at 4:43 pm Sally said:

You can totally take credit for the nomination. I mean, it HAS to be your fault. Because, really, that’s the only way I can explain how my little blog about unicorns and cheese could ever be nominated for a prize in travel blogging. For reals.
      And I’m not going to condone you’re signing up for 100 email accounts, but I maybe will suggest that everyone follow your lead!

10. On February 25, 2013 at 10:13 am marybindc said:

How did you grow up in Buffalo and never have poutine? Don’t they have Tim’s there now? I’m glad you finally rectified that anyway.

CONGRATS!

11. On February 25, 2013 at 10:15 am Heather said:

Congrats on the nomination!

12. On February 25, 2013 at 10:41 am Carmel said:

Poutine WITH kimchi?? Niiiiice. My weekend wasn’t that delicious…except for I made a paella for friends, so that was good.

13. On February 25, 2013 at 11:24 am Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

I’ve done my bit and voted for you. I TOTALLY VOTED. Although I’ve been reading for long enough to know not to get my hopes up about the ponies thing…
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..Four Fab Ways To Keep In Touch

14. On February 25, 2013 at 11:26 am Edna said:

Voted! Good luck and when in doubt, always blog more about poutine.
    Edna recently posted..I Love My Neighborhood: Tbilisi’s Dinamo Arena

• On February 25, 2013 at 4:40 pm Sally said:

Yay! And, yes, there is a poutine post in the works. Or at least a post explaining how my first taste of poutine included kimchi. Which, I have to say, was quite the winning combination.

15. On February 25, 2013 at 1:43 pm Don said:

Your ballot has been verified. Check back on Sunday, March 24 to see the winners!

Now that you have been to Canada for the day you’ll definately win for best travel blog. Good Luck.

Don

16. On February 25, 2013 at 4:37 pm Scarlett said:

Ahhh this post made me feel all kinds of happy. You deserve it and you’ve got my vote x
    Scarlett recently posted..Tales of the Surreal.

17. On February 25, 2013 at 9:32 pm Jen Ryder said:

Congrats Sally!I just voted. For you! How was that maple wine? Would it go well with pancakes? Because I’ve been looking for a good excuse to drink with my pancakes…
    Jen Ryder recently posted..Cambodia, Scenic and Up-close

• On February 27, 2013 at 5:48 pm Sally said:

You’re looking for an excuse to drink with pancakes? Honey. If you need an excuse to drink, I’m sorry to tell you but you may be doing the whole drinking thing wrong. :)

18. On February 27, 2013 at 3:36 pm Tammy said:

Congratulations! And of course I voted!
    Tammy recently posted..Throwing down the kimchi in Toronto

19. On March 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm Jeanie said:

Life is really a lot better when you get to have poutine and Caesars regularly. Glad you enjoyed Canada,
    Jeanie recently posted..The Weird and Wonderful (industrialization)

20. On March 5, 2013 at 10:49 pm Ceri said:

Congrats on the Bloggies nom, hun! :D I totally nominated for you just like last year because I love your blog and … yeah, FEELINGS.
    Ceri recently posted..Scenes from the Museo de Arte Moderno

21. On March 6, 2013 at 3:21 pm Montecristo Travels (Sonja) said:

Seriously – you came this close to us and didn’t email. Devastated. I … I don’t know what to say.

On a lighter note – glad you had such a fabulous time and we (and many many others) nominated you for the award so YAY!
    Montecristo Travels (Sonja) recently posted..How to Be the Perfect Guest – A Page out of Brad’s Book!

22. On March 9, 2013 at 4:32 am Kristin of Be My Travel Muse said:

Voted :) I always read your blog when I need a laugh. Rough travel day today, so it was much needed!
    Kristin of Be My Travel Muse recently posted..Free as Anything in Melbourne